Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > First time to the mountains after two years, any ideas? ;)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
First time to the mountains after two years, any ideas? ;)

Hi guys,

I've been in Geneva for two years now and never have the time to head up to the mountains.

I'm looking to take four days off and finally do it ;)  So, I need some advice if you have the time.

First things first, where should I go? Verbier, Megeve, Chamonix, Avoriaz, Gstaad? ah the options...

Next, where should I stay?

I'm looking for something cozy, 2-4 persons tops.  All advice welcome :)

Thanks,

A. 

The text you are quoting:

Hi guys,

I've been in Geneva for two years now and never have the time to head up to the mountains.

I'm looking to take four days off and finally do it ;)  So, I need some advice if you have the time.

First things first, where should I go? Verbier, Megeve, Chamonix, Avoriaz, Gstaad? ah the options...

Next, where should I stay?

I'm looking for something cozy, 2-4 persons tops.  All advice welcome :)

Thanks,

A. 

AmandaGJan 20, 2010 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 1505 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: First time to the mountains after two years, any ideas? ;)
Post 1

Hi A.

guess the question is - what do you want to do in the mountains: skiing, snowboarding, snowshoe hiking, cross-country skiing, snowkiting, just bumming around...? :) Then, how important is the activity vs. social part (nightlife etc.). Then I'll be happy to give you some more insight. I've been living in Lausanne for 9 years now and know the areas nearby fairly well.

I'll be in Geneva tomorrow afternoon if you'd wanna chat it over a quick drink.

k.

Hi A.

guess the question is - what do you want to do in the mountains: skiing, snowboarding, snowshoe hiking, cross-country skiing, snowkiting, just bumming around...? :) Then, how important is the activity vs. social part (nightlife etc.). Then I'll be happy to give you some more insight. I've been living in Lausanne for 9 years now and know the areas nearby fairly well.

I'll be in Geneva tomorrow afternoon if you'd wanna chat it over a quick drink.

k.

cisio, Jan 20, 2010 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi there, 

Thanks for the reply. :)

We're both beginners but may try our hand at ski/snowboard.  I'd be going there to relax and get away.  Night life would be nice as far as nice cuisine, wine, etc.  

All I'm looking for is a starting point.  As I said I've been here two years and never found the time.  It's time to get my feet wet ;)

Thanks again,

Amanda

Hi there, 

Thanks for the reply. :)

We're both beginners but may try our hand at ski/snowboard.  I'd be going there to relax and get away.  Night life would be nice as far as nice cuisine, wine, etc.  

All I'm looking for is a starting point.  As I said I've been here two years and never found the time.  It's time to get my feet wet ;)

Thanks again,

Amanda

AmandaG, Jan 20, 2010 @ 16:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I'd say go to Zermatt, superb views, car-free village, truly alpin scenery. There are good options for "apre ski" and you can try skiing/snowboarding or sledging (easy option and lots of fun)

I was there for one week during between Xmas and New Year and I loved it. It can be expensive, but it's worthed the money.

I'd say go to Zermatt, superb views, car-free village, truly alpin scenery. There are good options for "apre ski" and you can try skiing/snowboarding or sledging (easy option and lots of fun)

I was there for one week during between Xmas and New Year and I loved it. It can be expensive, but it's worthed the money.

geojusto, Jan 20, 2010 @ 16:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks Geo! I appreciate the advice! :)

Thanks Geo! I appreciate the advice! :)

AmandaG, Jan 20, 2010 @ 17:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Verbier. Stop by the "Farinet" apres-ski ;)

Verbier. Stop by the "Farinet" apres-ski ;)

catalin, Jan 20, 2010 @ 17:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

In this case I agree with geojusto. Zermatt is excellent for what you are looking for, and more. If you can't get accommodation in Zermatt (can easily happen), you can switch to Saas Fee, which is as beautiful, bit quieter, bit more low-key, and seriously less crowded in the peak season.

In this case I agree with geojusto. Zermatt is excellent for what you are looking for, and more. If you can't get accommodation in Zermatt (can easily happen), you can switch to Saas Fee, which is as beautiful, bit quieter, bit more low-key, and seriously less crowded in the peak season.

cisio, Jan 20, 2010 @ 17:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

ah, the Papperla Pub in Zermatt is very good, there was live music every day and a good crowd, mainly between 17h and 21h

ah, the Papperla Pub in Zermatt is very good, there was live music every day and a good crowd, mainly between 17h and 21h

geojusto, Jan 20, 2010 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks guys! It definitely helps :)

Now for the next question, if I want to start snowboard it's better to rent there the first time, no? What should I expect?

Thanks!

Thanks guys! It definitely helps :)

Now for the next question, if I want to start snowboard it's better to rent there the first time, no? What should I expect?

Thanks!

AmandaG, Jan 20, 2010 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

A:

Definitly rent, not buy. Consider buying only after you decide you really like the sport. 

What to expect? Pain and suffering, and I'm serious. The first few times are really no fun at all, and you spend most time on your ass. But if you get throgh the 1st few times, it's worth it. And take some lessons - it really speeds up the process. 

Nir

PS - coming to the glocals party at Psycho this weekend?

A:

Definitly rent, not buy. Consider buying only after you decide you really like the sport. 

What to expect? Pain and suffering, and I'm serious. The first few times are really no fun at all, and you spend most time on your ass. But if you get throgh the 1st few times, it's worth it. And take some lessons - it really speeds up the process. 

Nir

PS - coming to the glocals party at Psycho this weekend?

Nir Ofek, Jan 20, 2010 @ 21:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi
I have a very nice option to propose to you!
Go to Samoëns/Grand Massif located only 50min drive from Geneva, highway almost all the way.
It is a very charming and unspoiled French mountain village and not one of those overcrowded satellite resorts.
It used to be an old stonemason village; the village has a real soul.
The ski area (Grand Massif) is amazing, 4th biggest in France with skiing for all levels and ton's of snow du to Mt Blanc.
You can check it out my lodge on: www.viking-lodge.com. You can see the available weeks.
It is a 6-person lodge so if you go up 4 you'll have plenty of space. I also do long WE rentals. (ask for prices).
Moreover, I can also offer you a 15% discount on your gear rental.

For those who are interested, as a local I could organise a very special "insider" introduction to the ski area :
- show you the best free-riding
- organize a WE with snow scooter followed by a fondue on the hills
- overnight up in a mountain refuge in a lost valley
- visit a tailor made ski plant
- Ice driving (learn to drive on an ice rink).
- take you to the best restaurants on the domain.
Package prices on demand.
S.

Hi
I have a very nice option to propose to you!
Go to Samoëns/Grand Massif located only 50min drive from Geneva, highway almost all the way.
It is a very charming and unspoiled French mountain village and not one of those overcrowded satellite resorts.
It used to be an old stonemason village; the village has a real soul.
The ski area (Grand Massif) is amazing, 4th biggest in France with skiing for all levels and ton's of snow du to Mt Blanc.
You can check it out my lodge on: www.viking-lodge.com. You can see the available weeks.
It is a 6-person lodge so if you go up 4 you'll have plenty of space. I also do long WE rentals. (ask for prices).
Moreover, I can also offer you a 15% discount on your gear rental.

For those who are interested, as a local I could organise a very special "insider" introduction to the ski area :
- show you the best free-riding
- organize a WE with snow scooter followed by a fondue on the hills
- overnight up in a mountain refuge in a lost valley
- visit a tailor made ski plant
- Ice driving (learn to drive on an ice rink).
- take you to the best restaurants on the domain.
Package prices on demand.
S.

vikinglodge, Jan 21, 2010 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi everyone! It's still in the works ;) thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

And Nir! I'd love to stop by - I almost did last week but work prevailed ;) I'll do my best for sure! xx

Hi everyone! It's still in the works ;) thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

And Nir! I'd love to stop by - I almost did last week but work prevailed ;) I'll do my best for sure! xx

AmandaG, Jan 21, 2010 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

check out Verbier for sure. Good Apres Ski... you probably need some good drinking session to take the pain off your bottom if you are snowboarding for the first time!

check out Verbier for sure. Good Apres Ski... you probably need some good drinking session to take the pain off your bottom if you are snowboarding for the first time!

cruiseyong, Jan 22, 2010 @ 00:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi Amanda,

After a hard days' skiing does the idea of relaxing in a thermal spa being pummelled by jets and bubbles while surrounded by breathtaking mountain  views appeal?If so I have a lovely  appartment that sleeps 5 in a thermal spa and ski resort,check out my post 'Ski and Spa Leukerbad' on the ski forum.

If you don't want to ski you can spend the whole day relaxing in the spa which offers massages, Clarins beauty treatments and ayurveda.If you are interested and would like to see photos, please let me know your  email address and I will email them to you-I have been unable to post them on glocals for some reason.

Best wishes

Hi Amanda,

After a hard days' skiing does the idea of relaxing in a thermal spa being pummelled by jets and bubbles while surrounded by breathtaking mountain  views appeal?If so I have a lovely  appartment that sleeps 5 in a thermal spa and ski resort,check out my post 'Ski and Spa Leukerbad' on the ski forum.

If you don't want to ski you can spend the whole day relaxing in the spa which offers massages, Clarins beauty treatments and ayurveda.If you are interested and would like to see photos, please let me know your  email address and I will email them to you-I have been unable to post them on glocals for some reason.

Best wishes

loobylou, Feb 17, 2010 @ 00:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 1505 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form