Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Skiing clubs Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Skiing clubs Geneva

Hi all and happy New Year!

I'm an intermediate skier (3 weeks experience) looking to take some lessons on weekends and try to get in a lot of practice. Ideally I would like to join in some group lessons, which would not only be more economical but probably more fun.

I heard that a good way to get involved in group lessons is to join a ski club. Has anyone had experience in doing this?

Ski Club International de Geneve (http://www.scig.ch/) seems to have a lot of trips planned in the calendar and prices look reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The text you are quoting:

Hi all and happy New Year!

I'm an intermediate skier (3 weeks experience) looking to take some lessons on weekends and try to get in a lot of practice. Ideally I would like to join in some group lessons, which would not only be more economical but probably more fun.

I heard that a good way to get involved in group lessons is to join a ski club. Has anyone had experience in doing this?

Ski Club International de Geneve (http://www.scig.ch/) seems to have a lot of trips planned in the calendar and prices look reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

James IJan 8, 2014 @ 20:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 4079 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Skiing clubs Geneva
Post 1

Thanks Gilette, that's great to know. I shall go along tonight then Smile

James I, Jan 9, 2014 @ 11:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Jan 9, 14 11:25

See you there James: ask for Renate

See you there James: ask for Renate

rena, Jan 9, 2014 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

and here'es the link

https://www.facebook.com/raf.scig

and here'es the link

https://www.facebook.com/raf.scig

rena, Jan 9, 2014 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks Renate, I will do that - see you then!

Thanks Renate, I will do that - see you then!

James I, Jan 9, 2014 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi!

I'm in the same position as James except with snowboarding. I was also eye-ing up SCIG. Let me know how your first outing goes James!

Hi!

I'm in the same position as James except with snowboarding. I was also eye-ing up SCIG. Let me know how your first outing goes James!

Maryam W, Jan 11, 2014 @ 01:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey Maryam!

I went along with SCIG to Megeve yesterday. You have to sign up and book your place on the outings for the upcoming weekend by going along to the weekly sign-up sessions on Thursday evenings (Motta bus stop).

So yesterday we took the coach from Geneva (by Nations) at 7.30 am (so quite an early start for a Saturday Smile) and were on the slopes before 10am. It was a full day of lessons with a break for lunch. The coach took us all back to Geneva at 4.30pm.

The ski instructor was really good and it was all well organised. The snow wasn't perfect (obviously not SCIG's fault) but the instructor made the best of it. There were classes at all levels so you can decide whether you want to take it easy or not.

I'll definitely be going along again. Assuming the snowboarding sessions are similar I would recommend it.

Hey Maryam!

I went along with SCIG to Megeve yesterday. You have to sign up and book your place on the outings for the upcoming weekend by going along to the weekly sign-up sessions on Thursday evenings (Motta bus stop).

So yesterday we took the coach from Geneva (by Nations) at 7.30 am (so quite an early start for a Saturday Smile) and were on the slopes before 10am. It was a full day of lessons with a break for lunch. The coach took us all back to Geneva at 4.30pm.

The ski instructor was really good and it was all well organised. The snow wasn't perfect (obviously not SCIG's fault) but the instructor made the best of it. There were classes at all levels so you can decide whether you want to take it easy or not.

I'll definitely be going along again. Assuming the snowboarding sessions are similar I would recommend it.

James I, Jan 12, 2014 @ 15:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Great! Thanks for the feedback James. Will definitely give them a try soon.

Seemingly minor issue I know, but how long did the sign-up process take? Annoyingly, the signup time coincides with a gym class I attend at 1830-1930.

Great! Thanks for the feedback James. Will definitely give them a try soon.

Seemingly minor issue I know, but how long did the sign-up process take? Annoyingly, the signup time coincides with a gym class I attend at 1830-1930.

Maryam W, Jan 12, 2014 @ 22:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

You could probably be done in under 20 minutes if you're organised. You just need to fill out a membership form and outing application form (both very simple), queue for payment then queue for your membership card.

I would recommend getting there early as the queues seemed to build up fairly quickly. Also, try to work out what level of lesson you want to take before you arrive. I spent a bit of time discussing my level with one of the instructors at the meeting.

So depending on where your gym is, it might be a bit tight! But subsequent sign ups will be quicker as you won't need to sort out membership.

You could probably be done in under 20 minutes if you're organised. You just need to fill out a membership form and outing application form (both very simple), queue for payment then queue for your membership card.

I would recommend getting there early as the queues seemed to build up fairly quickly. Also, try to work out what level of lesson you want to take before you arrive. I spent a bit of time discussing my level with one of the instructors at the meeting.

So depending on where your gym is, it might be a bit tight! But subsequent sign ups will be quicker as you won't need to sort out membership.

James I, Jan 13, 2014 @ 08:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Come at 18 h or some minutes earlier and you will be done quickly. I will be at the info counter and can help you with the documents.

Come at 18 h or some minutes earlier and you will be done quickly. I will be at the info counter and can help you with the documents.

rena, Jan 14, 2014 @ 22:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Thanks very much James and Rena!! Very helpful :)

Thanks very much James and Rena!! Very helpful :)

Maryam W, Jan 15, 2014 @ 12:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Look forward to seeing you Maryam!

Do you need a class for snowboarding? Not sure if they have one (it's min. 3 people in case)

Look forward to seeing you Maryam!

Do you need a class for snowboarding? Not sure if they have one (it's min. 3 people in case)

rena, Jan 15, 2014 @ 13:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Yeah actually I was thinking of taking an intermediate class. I knew it was minumum 3 people, but I didnt think it would be difficult to find people! I guess I would need to show up on the day and find out. Although, if I show up early at 6pm, they wouldnt know if there will be enough people. What happens then? Do I pay and get reimbursed if there's no class or do I need to hang around till we form a gorup?

Yeah actually I was thinking of taking an intermediate class. I knew it was minumum 3 people, but I didnt think it would be difficult to find people! I guess I would need to show up on the day and find out. Although, if I show up early at 6pm, they wouldnt know if there will be enough people. What happens then? Do I pay and get reimbursed if there's no class or do I need to hang around till we form a gorup?

Maryam W, Jan 15, 2014 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi all,

I'm moving to Geneva later this month and am really exciting about weekend skiing!

I had a look at Ski Club International de Geneve as mentioned above...do you know is it possible to sign up and join the club but not take lessons, as in just join for the transport and day trip to the resort? Does anyone know when it starts again for the winter season?

thanks so much,

Eoin

Hi all,

I'm moving to Geneva later this month and am really exciting about weekend skiing!

I had a look at Ski Club International de Geneve as mentioned above...do you know is it possible to sign up and join the club but not take lessons, as in just join for the transport and day trip to the resort? Does anyone know when it starts again for the winter season?

thanks so much,

Eoin

Eoin M, Sep 17, 2014 @ 17:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I am not a member but have always heard good reports about SCIG.  £Somebody will reply as to when there programme starts but I would assume early Jan - depends when the snow falls

You can either take lessons or not but the those who take lessons benefit greatly and I think there are 6 groups plus a ski touring group.  If the lessons are not free they are very cheap and at the higher levels certainly do not involve standing together on a slope and going up and down a few times

Am sure a regular will add to this but for instance I know one person who is now skiing serious couloirs who started skiing with the club a few years ago 

I am not a member but have always heard good reports about SCIG.  £Somebody will reply as to when there programme starts but I would assume early Jan - depends when the snow falls

You can either take lessons or not but the those who take lessons benefit greatly and I think there are 6 groups plus a ski touring group.  If the lessons are not free they are very cheap and at the higher levels certainly do not involve standing together on a slope and going up and down a few times

Am sure a regular will add to this but for instance I know one person who is now skiing serious couloirs who started skiing with the club a few years ago 

Paul E, Sep 18, 2014 @ 09:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

I am new here, but I am also looking forward to the SCIG season. The 2013 -2014 calendar gives an idea.  It started on 2nd week in December last year, but I think there was a kick off weekend in Zermatt at the end of November.  Last year's calendar is on the website.

I am new here, but I am also looking forward to the SCIG season. The 2013 -2014 calendar gives an idea.  It started on 2nd week in December last year, but I think there was a kick off weekend in Zermatt at the end of November.  Last year's calendar is on the website.

Kevin M, Sep 19, 2014 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
15 Replies | 4079 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form