Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Snowboarding courses close to Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Snowboarding courses close to Geneva?
Hi,

I've just moved to Geneva and I'd like to try snowboarding - but I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to downhill skiing let alone snowboarding, and I don't have any gear (will rent first) or clothes yet.

Could anyone recommend good and not horrendously expensive snowboarding courses close to Geneva that would be doable without a car and fluent French?

If there are other beginners who might be interested in joining me, we could garther a small group and go together :-)

cheers,
Tuuli

The text you are quoting:
Hi,

I've just moved to Geneva and I'd like to try snowboarding - but I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to downhill skiing let alone snowboarding, and I don't have any gear (will rent first) or clothes yet.

Could anyone recommend good and not horrendously expensive snowboarding courses close to Geneva that would be doable without a car and fluent French?

If there are other beginners who might be interested in joining me, we could garther a small group and go together :-)

cheers,
Tuuli

Tuuli LOct 29, 2009 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

17 Replies | 3082 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Snowboarding courses close to Geneva?
Post 1
i want to join! If you find anyone let me know :)
i want to join! If you find anyone let me know :)

Maria_, Oct 29, 2009 @ 14:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Sorry - I don't have any info for you, but would love to come along - for beginners skiing and/or
snowboarding.
Sorry - I don't have any info for you, but would love to come along - for beginners skiing and/or
snowboarding.
Emma W, Oct 29, 2009 @ 16:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 Hi there,

can offer you some ski and / or snowboard lessons, for advanced or beginners.
I went with my classes to cluse, just round geneva or at the slopes of st. gervais ( worked there as an instructor for 3 seasons ).
If you're interessted in, and / or have some other question, just contacted me and see the posting in the ski and snowboard forum ( its one of the last ).

sport on, Mumble
 Hi there,

can offer you some ski and / or snowboard lessons, for advanced or beginners.
I went with my classes to cluse, just round geneva or at the slopes of st. gervais ( worked there as an instructor for 3 seasons ).
If you're interessted in, and / or have some other question, just contacted me and see the posting in the ski and snowboard forum ( its one of the last ).

sport on, Mumble
mumble, Oct 29, 2009 @ 18:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
When you say beginners you mean i-have-no-idea-how-to-stand-on-a-snowboard beginners who never ever skied right? Not my fault that in Cyprus we have sun 360 days per year :P
When you say beginners you mean i-have-no-idea-how-to-stand-on-a-snowboard beginners who never ever skied right? Not my fault that in Cyprus we have sun 360 days per year :P

Maria_, Oct 29, 2009 @ 19:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I would be interested too.....rank beginner :) 

Please do let me know....

cheers,

I would be interested too.....rank beginner :) 

Please do let me know....

cheers,

zzzzshhh, Oct 29, 2009 @ 20:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
mumble, I didn't find your post from the forum but I'll contact you once the season starts.

I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to gather a small group of English-speaking snowboard beginners and take some lessons together. I did some googling and in addition to mumble's offer there seem to be at least a few skiing schools around that offer lessons close to Geneva, charging a few hundred frangs for a few hour lesson per a group of 3-6 people, which doesn't sound too bad. So anyone who's interested, post on this thread, and let's arrange something when the winter actually comes!

It would still be nice to know if someone has good or bad experiences with different schools/instructors. 

Being from Finland, I'm not a complete beginner and I'm fine with cross-country, but I haven't done downhill skiing in 15 years and never tried a board...

mumble, I didn't find your post from the forum but I'll contact you once the season starts.

I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to gather a small group of English-speaking snowboard beginners and take some lessons together. I did some googling and in addition to mumble's offer there seem to be at least a few skiing schools around that offer lessons close to Geneva, charging a few hundred frangs for a few hour lesson per a group of 3-6 people, which doesn't sound too bad. So anyone who's interested, post on this thread, and let's arrange something when the winter actually comes!

It would still be nice to know if someone has good or bad experiences with different schools/instructors. 

Being from Finland, I'm not a complete beginner and I'm fine with cross-country, but I haven't done downhill skiing in 15 years and never tried a board...

Tuuli L, Oct 29, 2009 @ 20:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I heard that there are quite a few schools/instructors in the Valais area...havnt really got into it, so not too sure tho

cheers

I heard that there are quite a few schools/instructors in the Valais area...havnt really got into it, so not too sure tho

cheers
zzzzshhh, Oct 29, 2009 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi all

great....I'd like to join you..let me know if you find somenthing!!!!

cheers
Federica

Hi all

great....I'd like to join you..let me know if you find somenthing!!!!

cheers
Federica

fede a, Oct 29, 2009 @ 22:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
I would happily recommend the instructor my hubby and I had last year.
It was in Avoriaz though, so would need a car or go by the bus.
We (well me)were total beginners.....been on a board once about 5 years ago.We had an instructor called Angel...she was lovely,spoke perfect english...and the most important part..taught you at your own speed...with all the right encouragement.
We are going back this season as well!
If you want any more info drop me a line(cant remember the exact name!!but can dig it out)
Roll on the snow!!
Nookes
I would happily recommend the instructor my hubby and I had last year.
It was in Avoriaz though, so would need a car or go by the bus.
We (well me)were total beginners.....been on a board once about 5 years ago.We had an instructor called Angel...she was lovely,spoke perfect english...and the most important part..taught you at your own speed...with all the right encouragement.
We are going back this season as well!
If you want any more info drop me a line(cant remember the exact name!!but can dig it out)
Roll on the snow!!
Nookes

Nookes, Nov 4, 2009 @ 22:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
 Hi,
CERN has an ski club that gives lessons for all levels, and anyone can join even if you are not working at CERN.

Just one thing... there are limited places

You can check the information in their website

http://sites.google.com/site/cernskiclub/

Cheers
 Hi,
CERN has an ski club that gives lessons for all levels, and anyone can join even if you are not working at CERN.

Just one thing... there are limited places

You can check the information in their website

http://sites.google.com/site/cernskiclub/

Cheers
lumespana, Nov 4, 2009 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
 I would also be interested so please let me know if you do put together a little group of us beginners...Thanks!
 I would also be interested so please let me know if you do put together a little group of us beginners...Thanks!
Mfra_19, Nov 8, 2009 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi, I'll be at La Clusaz this season and don't mind giving a few newbies some hints and tips (have been snowboarding now for twenty years or so - yes, it's been around that long!!!). I recommend getting some hip pads and wrist guards (rollerblading ones will do) as these will give you more confidence and make learning more fun!! Enjoy! : )

Hi, I'll be at La Clusaz this season and don't mind giving a few newbies some hints and tips (have been snowboarding now for twenty years or so - yes, it's been around that long!!!). I recommend getting some hip pads and wrist guards (rollerblading ones will do) as these will give you more confidence and make learning more fun!! Enjoy! : )

Jon A, Nov 8, 2009 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Thanks for interest and info! I'll do a bit more research, and then post a concrete plan of what to do, and ask who'd be willing to join.

Jon, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind, although I think that we might need a bit more than some hints and tips...

Thanks for interest and info! I'll do a bit more research, and then post a concrete plan of what to do, and ask who'd be willing to join.

Jon, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind, although I think that we might need a bit more than some hints and tips...

Tuuli L, Nov 10, 2009 @ 22:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

The closest ski resort  to Geneva (also adequate for beginners and families starting with skiing - not too big) is Praz de Lys Sommand.

http://www.prazdelys-sommand.com/index.php?saison=hiver#

Personally, because I made the experience, you need maybe one or two hours of snowboarding lessons and then one or two days of constantly falling - one thing I have to say: don't give at the end of the first day :-)

The closest ski resort  to Geneva (also adequate for beginners and families starting with skiing - not too big) is Praz de Lys Sommand.

http://www.prazdelys-sommand.com/index.php?saison=hiver#

Personally, because I made the experience, you need maybe one or two hours of snowboarding lessons and then one or two days of constantly falling - one thing I have to say: don't give at the end of the first day :-)

useanotherna, Nov 18, 2009 @ 10:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Thanks Lumespana for the link, I think I might join, it will be fun to go on a regular basis on Sundays!

Thanks Lumespana for the link, I think I might join, it will be fun to go on a regular basis on Sundays!

LynnMarla, Nov 30, 2009 @ 00:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hi Lynn, just make sure there is free places, check it in the web... there are courses that already run out of places.

Cheers and good luck

Hi Lynn, just make sure there is free places, check it in the web... there are courses that already run out of places.

Cheers and good luck

lumespana, Nov 30, 2009 @ 00:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

hey guys, whats the latest on this activity? i am a beginner without any equipment, but with a lot of motivation. i see we are a lot of people in this forum...did any one actually find the kind of lessons or maybe a group instructor ?

hey guys, whats the latest on this activity? i am a beginner without any equipment, but with a lot of motivation. i see we are a lot of people in this forum...did any one actually find the kind of lessons or maybe a group instructor ?

shazz, Jan 8, 2010 @ 10:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
17 Replies | 3082 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form