Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Exchange Things > People to Practice Speaking French With!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
People to Practice Speaking French With!

Hi!

So I'm looking for people with intermediate or advanced French speaking skills to speak French with on a regular basis. I find a lot of my English speaking friends don't take well to me speaking at them in French as they continue speaking to me in English.

So I thought I would look for some people with a similar interest! 

If you're interested, please drop me a line!

Kan

The text you are quoting:

Hi!

So I'm looking for people with intermediate or advanced French speaking skills to speak French with on a regular basis. I find a lot of my English speaking friends don't take well to me speaking at them in French as they continue speaking to me in English.

So I thought I would look for some people with a similar interest! 

If you're interested, please drop me a line!

Kan

Kan YanAug 15, 2010 @ 18:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

31 Replies | 1834 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: People to Practice Speaking French With!
Post 1

Hi Kan,

I am in a similar situation and I am certainly interested in joining. Almost all of my friends are native English speakers, we rarely use French among us and in most of the glocals activities the language used is also English. It would be quite nice to meet other people also interested in speaking/learning French, even if they are not native speakers.

Pasqual

Hi Kan,

I am in a similar situation and I am certainly interested in joining. Almost all of my friends are native English speakers, we rarely use French among us and in most of the glocals activities the language used is also English. It would be quite nice to meet other people also interested in speaking/learning French, even if they are not native speakers.

Pasqual

Pasqual E, Aug 19, 2010 @ 10:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Pascual,

Thanks for responding! We should meet up sometime to practice. Maybe grab a coffee this weekend?

My number is 0767972262. 

Hope you're well.

Kan

Hi Pascual,

Thanks for responding! We should meet up sometime to practice. Maybe grab a coffee this weekend?

My number is 0767972262. 

Hope you're well.

Kan

Kan Yan, Aug 19, 2010 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi,

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I am a native English speaker looking to improve my French, which I don't get a lot of opportunity to do as my friends either dont speak it or prefer English. I am intermediate and very much need to improve. If you're still looking for a someone, Id be happy to join in the conversation. Thanks.

Elizabeth

Hi,

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I am a native English speaker looking to improve my French, which I don't get a lot of opportunity to do as my friends either dont speak it or prefer English. I am intermediate and very much need to improve. If you're still looking for a someone, Id be happy to join in the conversation. Thanks.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth R, Aug 27, 2010 @ 21:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Elizabeth, 

Glad you're interested. Only one other guy replied and he hasn't replied again since I contacted him. ha. but anyhoo, i'm still interested in practicing if you are. i'm free today if you wanna hang out and chat in french. i'm taking off for a week starting tomorrow though so won't be able to chat again til I return.

lemme know! hope you're well.

best,

kan 0767972262

Hi Elizabeth, 

Glad you're interested. Only one other guy replied and he hasn't replied again since I contacted him. ha. but anyhoo, i'm still interested in practicing if you are. i'm free today if you wanna hang out and chat in french. i'm taking off for a week starting tomorrow though so won't be able to chat again til I return.

lemme know! hope you're well.

best,

kan 0767972262

Kan Yan, Aug 28, 2010 @ 10:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Kan, 

Sorry I missed ya Saturday. I havent had a whole lot of time to check email before now. I am still interested in practicing though. So catch you when you get back into town I guess. Next week is pretty flexible for me if you wanted to meet up then. Just let me know what works for you. 

A bientot, 

Elizabeth 

Hi Kan, 

Sorry I missed ya Saturday. I havent had a whole lot of time to check email before now. I am still interested in practicing though. So catch you when you get back into town I guess. Next week is pretty flexible for me if you wanted to meet up then. Just let me know what works for you. 

A bientot, 

Elizabeth 

Elizabeth R, Aug 30, 2010 @ 21:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Kan, Elisabeth,

Sorry for the late reply, Kan's posting notification got jammed among notifications from other threads and I haven't tuned back to this thread until Elisabeth's postings. I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm definitely still interested; maybe we could try to arrange something for next week when Kan is back?

By the way Elisabeth, could you check your number? It seems a French number and I find it a bit strange that there is a 0 after the +33

Pasqual

Kan, Elisabeth,

Sorry for the late reply, Kan's posting notification got jammed among notifications from other threads and I haven't tuned back to this thread until Elisabeth's postings. I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm definitely still interested; maybe we could try to arrange something for next week when Kan is back?

By the way Elisabeth, could you check your number? It seems a French number and I find it a bit strange that there is a 0 after the +33

Pasqual

Pasqual E, Aug 31, 2010 @ 10:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Yep, Pascual, you're right. Just drop the 0. Next week would work for me to meet.  Is there a day/time that works best for you? I guess we can wait until Kan gets back and coordinate from there.

Yep, Pascual, you're right. Just drop the 0. Next week would work for me to meet.  Is there a day/time that works best for you? I guess we can wait until Kan gets back and coordinate from there.

Elizabeth R, Sep 1, 2010 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Where do you guys plan on meeting?  Anywhere close to Lausanne?

Where do you guys plan on meeting?  Anywhere close to Lausanne?

Jenna M, Sep 2, 2010 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi guys.

I'm in the same situation as you, i'd really like to practice french, but with who? I'd really like to join you when you meet up for your little french talking coffee rendez-vous :o) If thats okay :o)

Regards Mette

Hi guys.

I'm in the same situation as you, i'd really like to practice french, but with who? I'd really like to join you when you meet up for your little french talking coffee rendez-vous :o) If thats okay :o)

Regards Mette

Mette Wulff, Sep 3, 2010 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi all, 

I believe we will be meeting in Geneva. Jenna and Mette, if you can make it of course you can join. The more the merrier. Smile As you can see we havent really made any plans though yet, so if you are going to be in Geneva in the near future maybe just let us know. Have a good weekend. 

Elizabeth 

Hi all, 

I believe we will be meeting in Geneva. Jenna and Mette, if you can make it of course you can join. The more the merrier. Smile As you can see we havent really made any plans though yet, so if you are going to be in Geneva in the near future maybe just let us know. Have a good weekend. 

Elizabeth 

Elizabeth R, Sep 3, 2010 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi Elisabeth,Mette, Jenna...

I am perfectly French fluent. My English is not bad at all either, but I have little or no chance to speak it, so I am happy to help out with French if you will let me practice a little my English...

I am in Coppet, anyone near me?

Alex

Hi Elisabeth,Mette, Jenna...

I am perfectly French fluent. My English is not bad at all either, but I have little or no chance to speak it, so I am happy to help out with French if you will let me practice a little my English...

I am in Coppet, anyone near me?

Alex

Alessandra Ginsburg, Sep 4, 2010 @ 10:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I'm also interested.  Please keep me in the loop!

I'm also interested.  Please keep me in the loop!

Kirsten V, Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi I have been teaching french for the last 20 years, am a french native, have grown up in NYC, thus am perfectly bilingual.

I tailor my classes to your needs: first lesson is free and is to evaluate your level and show you my method based on internet exercices, paperbook exercices, reading, speaking and writing. I mix lots of different technics  according to level and needs and my teaching evolves with the student's progress.

I can teach anywhere in Geneva from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., from monday to friday. Lunch break slots are quite busy.

We can even work out a discount for an upfront payment for group or multiple lessons.

Currently teaching one on ones at a permanent foreign Mission in geneva.  On-going multi private lessons as well. Numerous references available upon request.

Review on Glocals available following this link:
http://www.glocals.com/#/guides/biz/Anouche-Karaman---French-Teacher/

Hope this appeals to you :)

Hi I have been teaching french for the last 20 years, am a french native, have grown up in NYC, thus am perfectly bilingual.

I tailor my classes to your needs: first lesson is free and is to evaluate your level and show you my method based on internet exercices, paperbook exercices, reading, speaking and writing. I mix lots of different technics  according to level and needs and my teaching evolves with the student's progress.

I can teach anywhere in Geneva from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., from monday to friday. Lunch break slots are quite busy.

We can even work out a discount for an upfront payment for group or multiple lessons.

Currently teaching one on ones at a permanent foreign Mission in geneva.  On-going multi private lessons as well. Numerous references available upon request.

Review on Glocals available following this link:
http://www.glocals.com/#/guides/biz/Anouche-Karaman---French-Teacher/

Hope this appeals to you :)

hay_, Sep 4, 2010 @ 14:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Hi everyone, sorry for the radio silence. Was out of town! And wow interest certainly seemed to pick up. 

So yes. What if we start with one evening session of french conversation this week--I'm free any evening after work so I'll go ahead and arbitrarily propose Tuesday night. 

I think there are plenty of other opportunities to do tandem exchanges of English and French so I was hoping this might be a time to just dedicate to French. Folks can find tandem partners separately. 

Thoughts?

Best,

Kan 

Hi everyone, sorry for the radio silence. Was out of town! And wow interest certainly seemed to pick up. 

So yes. What if we start with one evening session of french conversation this week--I'm free any evening after work so I'll go ahead and arbitrarily propose Tuesday night. 

I think there are plenty of other opportunities to do tandem exchanges of English and French so I was hoping this might be a time to just dedicate to French. Folks can find tandem partners separately. 

Thoughts?

Best,

Kan 

Kan Yan, Sep 4, 2010 @ 19:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Oops just had something pop up Tuesday night. Anyone interested in meeting up Wednesday night instead? 

Kan

Oops just had something pop up Tuesday night. Anyone interested in meeting up Wednesday night instead? 

Kan

Kan Yan, Sep 5, 2010 @ 17:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hi Kan,

welcome back, I would actually prefer Wednesday night

Pasqual

Hi Kan,

welcome back, I would actually prefer Wednesday night

Pasqual

Pasqual E, Sep 5, 2010 @ 20:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hi, I'd also be interested if this is happening on Wednesday. I'd say my level of French is intermediate to advanced.

Hi, I'd also be interested if this is happening on Wednesday. I'd say my level of French is intermediate to advanced.

Mel C, Sep 5, 2010 @ 21:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Alright sounds good. How about Wednesday 7 PM. Does anyone have any suggestions for location? I have to admit I don't know too many places in town!

Alright sounds good. How about Wednesday 7 PM. Does anyone have any suggestions for location? I have to admit I don't know too many places in town!

Kan Yan, Sep 5, 2010 @ 22:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hi, I'm French ;) with all advantages and inconvenient this could bring to me ;) I am just reading this forum and would be interest in meeting people. I am not a French teacher and work in a totally different area (IT). However I am not so much speaking French lately as my work environment is German and English... I used to join the German conversion group which meets on Thursday evening at Starbucks central. I find it quite cool as people can relax in a friendly atmosphere. Does it sound good for you? Cheers, Thibaut

Hi, I'm French ;) with all advantages and inconvenient this could bring to me ;) I am just reading this forum and would be interest in meeting people. I am not a French teacher and work in a totally different area (IT). However I am not so much speaking French lately as my work environment is German and English... I used to join the German conversion group which meets on Thursday evening at Starbucks central. I find it quite cool as people can relax in a friendly atmosphere. Does it sound good for you? Cheers, Thibaut

Thibaut B, Sep 6, 2010 @ 09:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

I would suggest to have a meeting Wed 7pm in Starbucks rue de Montblanc, practically in front of Cornavin; I think it offers the best connections to people not living in central Geneva, and then we can then discuss about alternatives for a second meeting. We can also discuss about having a glocals group to coordinate us, rather than a forum post

I would suggest to have a meeting Wed 7pm in Starbucks rue de Montblanc, practically in front of Cornavin; I think it offers the best connections to people not living in central Geneva, and then we can then discuss about alternatives for a second meeting. We can also discuss about having a glocals group to coordinate us, rather than a forum post

Pasqual E, Sep 6, 2010 @ 10:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hi,

Are we talking about Geneva or Zurich???

Cheers

Hi,

Are we talking about Geneva or Zurich???

Cheers

Thibaut B, Sep 6, 2010 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

As I think Elisabeth already mentioned most of us are based in Geneva

As I think Elisabeth already mentioned most of us are based in Geneva

Pasqual E, Sep 6, 2010 @ 11:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Starbucks sounds good to me. See you there!

Starbucks sounds good to me. See you there!

Kan Yan, Sep 6, 2010 @ 13:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Works for me. See ya Wednesday. 

Works for me. See ya Wednesday. 

Elizabeth R, Sep 6, 2010 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hello,

I am a native French speaker and a part of my activities is to teach French (as a volunteer in an open university in Geneva and also on the Internet with Skype). I would enjoy to help you to practice your French from time to time (for free). The idea to create a group to coordinate seems to me good (I am still in charge of the Geneva Drawing and Painting Group). Unfortuately I am not free on next Wednesday (It is the evening when I teach) but if you fix another meeting I will be happy to come if I can.

Hello,

I am a native French speaker and a part of my activities is to teach French (as a volunteer in an open university in Geneva and also on the Internet with Skype). I would enjoy to help you to practice your French from time to time (for free). The idea to create a group to coordinate seems to me good (I am still in charge of the Geneva Drawing and Painting Group). Unfortuately I am not free on next Wednesday (It is the evening when I teach) but if you fix another meeting I will be happy to come if I can.

Vincent C, Sep 6, 2010 @ 16:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Hi everyone,

i too have taken a few classes in french but seem to practice it less.

i would love to join you folks.

cheers

Hi everyone,

i too have taken a few classes in french but seem to practice it less.

i would love to join you folks.

cheers

roberto j, Sep 6, 2010 @ 22:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Hello, everybody!

Great idea!

Unfortunately can't make it this time, but will be very happy to join the next time.

Have fun! 

Hello, everybody!

Great idea!

Unfortunately can't make it this time, but will be very happy to join the next time.

Have fun! 

anahit, Sep 7, 2010 @ 09:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Ack work got crazy today so i won't make.  Have fun and hopefully see you next time.

kan

Ack work got crazy today so i won't make.  Have fun and hopefully see you next time.

kan

Kan Yan, Sep 8, 2010 @ 18:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Bon soir tous!

I too would love to join a regular French-speaking group. I'm joining this thread on Wednesday night after 7pm so I guess I've missed your first meeting. However, I'll be looking out for the second meeting and look forward to joining you then.

I'm in the old town - if an old town venue suits the group, let me know.

A bientot

Jenny

Bon soir tous!

I too would love to join a regular French-speaking group. I'm joining this thread on Wednesday night after 7pm so I guess I've missed your first meeting. However, I'll be looking out for the second meeting and look forward to joining you then.

I'm in the old town - if an old town venue suits the group, let me know.

A bientot

Jenny

Jenny R, Sep 8, 2010 @ 20:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Hi all,

I have been looking for an opportunity to practice French since I came to Geneva 3 weeks ago. My spoken French is probably not even intermediate but in case that does not bother, I'd love to join you :)

Cheers, Marja

Hi all,

I have been looking for an opportunity to practice French since I came to Geneva 3 weeks ago. My spoken French is probably not even intermediate but in case that does not bother, I'd love to join you :)

Cheers, Marja

Marja S, Oct 10, 2010 @ 00:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Hi all, I'm coming to this really late but I don't suppose anybody might be interested on the Left bank side, up towards Messery? A bit of a long shot, but worth a try! My level of french is very basic but I'm keen to improve, Best wishes, all:)

Hi all, I'm coming to this really late but I don't suppose anybody might be interested on the Left bank side, up towards Messery? A bit of a long shot, but worth a try! My level of french is very basic but I'm keen to improve, Best wishes, all:)

sharon m, Oct 15, 2010 @ 11:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
31 Replies | 1834 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form