Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Exchange Things > Trade English for English: English study buddies!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Trade English for English: English study buddies!

I'm an English teacher in Geneva, and I have a couple of students who will be taking Cambridge exams in December.  Both of them are always looking for people to practice speaking with and I've been sending them to the Saturday language exchange.  While they appreciate it, they would rather just speak English all the time. 

They're both at a high level (CAE and CPE), so I suggested they work together.  One is on holiday this week so I made this thread to see if anyone else is interested in being somebody's study partner.  Everybody knows you go to the gym much more often when you have somebody to go with and it's the same with language learning.

[teacher]Language learning and production has two parts, accuracy and fluency; while being correct is obviously important, being able to easily find words/expressions/phrases and just interact or communicate effectively is possibly even more important.  Any time you can practice having a conversation in another language, even if you make a lot of mistakes and it's not perfect, improves your comfort and confidence for the next conversation.[/teacher]

I'm not sure what this thread will be.  If you're an advanced learner and you want to practice with another advanced learner, post in here and hopefully my students will eventually post here too (they always do their homework at the last minute Wink).  If you are an intermediate student and want somebody to help you study, post here and maybe there's somebody else doing a course who wants to practice speaking or just a homework partner.  If anybody has questions about Cambridge exams or self-study material I'm happy to answer those, too.

If you're reading glocals and English isn't your first language, you're already learning independently and there are a lot of other users like you so make a post and see what happens!

The text you are quoting:

I'm an English teacher in Geneva, and I have a couple of students who will be taking Cambridge exams in December.  Both of them are always looking for people to practice speaking with and I've been sending them to the Saturday language exchange.  While they appreciate it, they would rather just speak English all the time. 

They're both at a high level (CAE and CPE), so I suggested they work together.  One is on holiday this week so I made this thread to see if anyone else is interested in being somebody's study partner.  Everybody knows you go to the gym much more often when you have somebody to go with and it's the same with language learning.

[teacher]Language learning and production has two parts, accuracy and fluency; while being correct is obviously important, being able to easily find words/expressions/phrases and just interact or communicate effectively is possibly even more important.  Any time you can practice having a conversation in another language, even if you make a lot of mistakes and it's not perfect, improves your comfort and confidence for the next conversation.[/teacher]

I'm not sure what this thread will be.  If you're an advanced learner and you want to practice with another advanced learner, post in here and hopefully my students will eventually post here too (they always do their homework at the last minute Wink).  If you are an intermediate student and want somebody to help you study, post here and maybe there's somebody else doing a course who wants to practice speaking or just a homework partner.  If anybody has questions about Cambridge exams or self-study material I'm happy to answer those, too.

If you're reading glocals and English isn't your first language, you're already learning independently and there are a lot of other users like you so make a post and see what happens!

Mr.BenAug 4, 2010 @ 18:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 1122 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Trade English for English: English study buddies!
Post 1

I am currently teaching English via Skype to students on a higher level.

Do you require additional teachers please? If so, please give a contact email address. TIA

I am currently teaching English via Skype to students on a higher level.

Do you require additional teachers please? If so, please give a contact email address. TIA

sheila c, Aug 8, 2010 @ 20:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I'll be starting at ifage in October so I've sent you a message with my current school's details.

Have you got your CELTA yet?

I'll be starting at ifage in October so I've sent you a message with my current school's details.

Have you got your CELTA yet?

Mr.Ben, Aug 8, 2010 @ 21:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I am looking to improve my English and will be interesting to converse with your student. I am an advanced English speaking.

Marion.

I am looking to improve my English and will be interesting to converse with your student. I am an advanced English speaking.

Marion.

Marion C, Aug 9, 2010 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I am fluent with English and will be glad if I could help a student. Traveling from Zurich to Geneva is not an issue for me as long as some student is getting benefit out of it.

I have worked as teacher of spoken English as well as English grammar back in India. 

I am fluent with English and will be glad if I could help a student. Traveling from Zurich to Geneva is not an issue for me as long as some student is getting benefit out of it.

I have worked as teacher of spoken English as well as English grammar back in India. 

Vishal M, Aug 9, 2010 @ 14:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi,

My name is Philippe. I'm a "CAE" student of Ben.

It would be great to converse together in English.

Let me know if you are interested in.

I m not in Geneva next week. I'll be back the 30th.

See you.

Philippe ([email protected])

Hi,

My name is Philippe. I'm a "CAE" student of Ben.

It would be great to converse together in English.

Let me know if you are interested in.

I m not in Geneva next week. I'll be back the 30th.

See you.

Philippe ([email protected])

Philippe L, Aug 21, 2010 @ 16:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi all,

I am a native English speaker and would be happy to meet with anyone who wants to practice. I realize this is not a language exchange and will gladly speak as much English as you'd like. However I am trying to learn French, so the occasional edit of a written assignment would be greatly appreciatedSmile. Either way, Im here to help.

Elizabeth

Hi all,

I am a native English speaker and would be happy to meet with anyone who wants to practice. I realize this is not a language exchange and will gladly speak as much English as you'd like. However I am trying to learn French, so the occasional edit of a written assignment would be greatly appreciatedSmile. Either way, Im here to help.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth R, Aug 27, 2010 @ 21:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I'm glad to see a few responses here, I hope some of you have sent some private messages and maybe you'll meet up and practice some English!

There's another option for people looking for English practice, the Université Populaire du Canton de Genève has VERY cheap classes (100 francs for 1.5 hours a week from October to June) and registration is this week.  Actually, it started last week and finishes Wednesday so you need to act fast!

The school uses volunteer teachers which is why the classes are so cheap, but even if they aren't the best teachers you've ever had (although they may well be, they wouldn't do it for free if they didn't love what they do!) you will have a dedicated time each week to practice and learn English and meet other people who are learning as well.

I suppose a link would be polite: http://www.upcge.ch/accueil.php

Good luck!

I'm glad to see a few responses here, I hope some of you have sent some private messages and maybe you'll meet up and practice some English!

There's another option for people looking for English practice, the Université Populaire du Canton de Genève has VERY cheap classes (100 francs for 1.5 hours a week from October to June) and registration is this week.  Actually, it started last week and finishes Wednesday so you need to act fast!

The school uses volunteer teachers which is why the classes are so cheap, but even if they aren't the best teachers you've ever had (although they may well be, they wouldn't do it for free if they didn't love what they do!) you will have a dedicated time each week to practice and learn English and meet other people who are learning as well.

I suppose a link would be polite: http://www.upcge.ch/accueil.php

Good luck!

Mr.Ben, Sep 4, 2010 @ 14:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hello Elizabeth,

I'd love to meet up to practice the language.

Please let me know if you want to meet tomorrow sunday.

Cheers

Carla

Hello Elizabeth,

I'd love to meet up to practice the language.

Please let me know if you want to meet tomorrow sunday.

Cheers

Carla

Mina, Sep 4, 2010 @ 21:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Carla,

Unfortunately I am unable to meet today. How about one night this week or on Saturday afternoon?

Elizabeth

Hi Carla,

Unfortunately I am unable to meet today. How about one night this week or on Saturday afternoon?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth R, Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi, Ben

I have found you on glocals))

It is Cholpon, your ex'student at WSI.

I am just wandering if i can join these guys?

Best, Cholpon

Hi, Ben

I have found you on glocals))

It is Cholpon, your ex'student at WSI.

I am just wandering if i can join these guys?

Best, Cholpon

Cholpon, Sep 7, 2010 @ 17:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi, Marion

I have seen your post on glocals.

I am interested also in English conversation. We can work together.

Best, Cholpon

Hi, Marion

I am interested also in English conversation. We can work together.

Best, Cholpon

Cholpon, Sep 7, 2010 @ 17:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi,

Do you teach English by skipe?

I am interested, please let me know all details.

Best, Cholpon

Hi,

Do you teach English by skipe?

I am interested, please let me know all details.

Best, Cholpon

Cholpon, Sep 7, 2010 @ 17:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi Cholpon!

Of course, you are welcome to join these guys!  This is all totally independent so try sending Marion a message (click on her photo and then on the little envelope in the new window) if she doesn't reply, maybe she doesn't check this thread every day!

I don't teach English by skype, but Sheila does so try sending her a message too. (If you click on reply, you only post in this thread but if you send a message like I mentioned above, the person will get a private message from you).

Good luck!

Hi Cholpon!

Of course, you are welcome to join these guys!  This is all totally independent so try sending Marion a message (click on her photo and then on the little envelope in the new window) if she doesn't reply, maybe she doesn't check this thread every day!

I don't teach English by skype, but Sheila does so try sending her a message too. (If you click on reply, you only post in this thread but if you send a message like I mentioned above, the person will get a private message from you).

Good luck!

Mr.Ben, Sep 10, 2010 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I might be able to help someone with English-for-English near Morges or Renens.  I'm not an instructor but I'll try my best.  Innocent

I might be able to help someone with English-for-English near Morges or Renens.  I'm not an instructor but I'll try my best.  Innocent

richardm, Sep 12, 2010 @ 19:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 1122 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form