Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Exchange Things > Your Irish for my Irish

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Your Irish for my Irish

Dia Dhaoibh,

Any Gaelgeoirs out there, looking to keep the language alive. Get in touch if you want to practice as well..

Slán go foill

Kevin

The text you are quoting:

Dia Dhaoibh,

Any Gaelgeoirs out there, looking to keep the language alive. Get in touch if you want to practice as well..

Slán go foill

Kevin

Kevin MMay 26, 2011 @ 10:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 1395 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Your Irish for my Irish
Post 1

Hey Kevin, join the Geneva Irish Association, they have Gaelic classes.

They also have many activities during the year where everyone speak Gaelic.

http://www.genevairishassociation.com/

Slán go maith

Hey Kevin, join the Geneva Irish Association, they have Gaelic classes.

They also have many activities during the year where everyone speak Gaelic.

http://www.genevairishassociation.com/

Slán go maith

Dave G, May 26, 2011 @ 11:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I do miss fellow Irish speakers.....unfortunately here in Bern they're really hard to find.

Best of luck though with the cupla focail.

I do miss fellow Irish speakers.....unfortunately here in Bern they're really hard to find.

Best of luck though with the cupla focail.

Susanne C, May 26, 2011 @ 13:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Kevin,

Are you still looking for people to speak Irish with? My husband is moving here in a couple of weeks and is looking to improve his Irish.

Let me know!

Lynsey

Hi Kevin,

Are you still looking for people to speak Irish with? My husband is moving here in a couple of weeks and is looking to improve his Irish.

Let me know!

Lynsey

Lynsey, Sep 4, 2011 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

It's a shame your too far away from me. But "céad míle fáilte roimh" from Vevey

It's a shame your too far away from me. But "céad míle fáilte roimh" from Vevey

Richard JB, Sep 4, 2011 @ 18:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hi kevin, keep me in the loop about any meet-ups. Im halfway through turas teanga now. Its all coming back to me!
Hi kevin, keep me in the loop about any meet-ups. Im halfway through turas teanga now. Its all coming back to me!
manics1984, Sep 4, 2011 @ 22:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Dia dhaoibh a chairde!

Ba mhaith liomsa freisin an Gaeilge a labhairt - ni cuimhin liom ach an cupla focail...

E.

Dia dhaoibh a chairde!

Ba mhaith liomsa freisin an Gaeilge a labhairt - ni cuimhin liom ach an cupla focail...

E.

Eimear Farrell, Sep 4, 2011 @ 23:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Dia Dhaoibh go léir.

Go raibh míle as ucht an suim. Ba mhaith liom rud éigin a dheanamh sa na cúpla seachtain ag teacht, ach taim ag teastail le mo chuid obair. Ceard cheapainn sibh faoin cead deireadh seachtain i Deireadh Fómhair?  Pionta nó dhó i phub chúin chun labhairt lena chéile gan screadaíl.

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your interest, I would like to put something together in the next few weeks, but I'm travelling for work a lot. What do you think about a meetup first weekend in October, few pints somewhere quiet so we can have a chat without shouting.

and by the by, I'm no fluent Gaetacht man, I am a very avid user of Gaelish, mixing the Gaeilge and the English, it's all about trying though!

Slán go foill.

Kev

Dia Dhaoibh go léir.

Go raibh míle as ucht an suim. Ba mhaith liom rud éigin a dheanamh sa na cúpla seachtain ag teacht, ach taim ag teastail le mo chuid obair. Ceard cheapainn sibh faoin cead deireadh seachtain i Deireadh Fómhair?  Pionta nó dhó i phub chúin chun labhairt lena chéile gan screadaíl.

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your interest, I would like to put something together in the next few weeks, but I'm travelling for work a lot. What do you think about a meetup first weekend in October, few pints somewhere quiet so we can have a chat without shouting.

and by the by, I'm no fluent Gaetacht man, I am a very avid user of Gaelish, mixing the Gaeilge and the English, it's all about trying though!

Slán go foill.

Kev

Kevin M, Sep 5, 2011 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

sounds good to me. i completely agree with a RELAXED environment where we don't have to use perfect Irish. like most intermediate/lower intermediate students of a language my passive skills (listening and reading comprehension) are much better than my speaking skills (speaking and writing). if anyone is interested the tg4.ie website is great for putting on some irish and just letting it flow while you cook dinner or whatever. i like to sit down and watch ten minute clip with the english subtitles then replay while i clean the house, just to get the music of the language back in my ear. also the turas teanga course is great if you have already studied irish in school.

sounds good to me. i completely agree with a RELAXED environment where we don't have to use perfect Irish. like most intermediate/lower intermediate students of a language my passive skills (listening and reading comprehension) are much better than my speaking skills (speaking and writing). if anyone is interested the tg4.ie website is great for putting on some irish and just letting it flow while you cook dinner or whatever. i like to sit down and watch ten minute clip with the english subtitles then replay while i clean the house, just to get the music of the language back in my ear. also the turas teanga course is great if you have already studied irish in school.

manics1984, Sep 5, 2011 @ 14:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I'd be really interested in this too but unfortunately i'm in Zurich :-(

I'd be really interested in this too but unfortunately i'm in Zurich :-(

Milly D, Sep 6, 2011 @ 15:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Dia Dhaoibh,

How about Friday 7th or Saturday 8th of October? Bit of food and a few pionta.

Manics any suggestions of a place, being a frontalier hiding up in the hills and then flying around my knowledge of GVA is not go han mhaith fós?

cheers,

kev

p.s. just got a samsung wave 2, and have the phone language set as Gaeilge, iontach ar fad!

Dia Dhaoibh,

How about Friday 7th or Saturday 8th of October? Bit of food and a few pionta.

Manics any suggestions of a place, being a frontalier hiding up in the hills and then flying around my knowledge of GVA is not go han mhaith fós?

cheers,

kev

p.s. just got a samsung wave 2, and have the phone language set as Gaeilge, iontach ar fad!

Kevin M, Sep 7, 2011 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

mulligans pub opposite manor is nice. in my opinion it's the closest thing to a pub from home here in geneva. not to sure if they do food (they have a menu of paninis but ive never seen anyone eating them!) there are actual irish people in there too (and not just me and my sister!)

bravo for the phone!

mulligans pub opposite manor is nice. in my opinion it's the closest thing to a pub from home here in geneva. not to sure if they do food (they have a menu of paninis but ive never seen anyone eating them!) there are actual irish people in there too (and not just me and my sister!)

bravo for the phone!

manics1984, Sep 7, 2011 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Sounds like a plan:) I have already arranged to go out for dinner on Friday but would love to join for drinks somewhere like Mulligan's after. I have to warn you that I have not spoken Irish in YEARS but will be happy to listen for the first night (and perhaps some alcohol will help...)

Sounds like a plan:) I have already arranged to go out for dinner on Friday but would love to join for drinks somewhere like Mulligan's after. I have to warn you that I have not spoken Irish in YEARS but will be happy to listen for the first night (and perhaps some alcohol will help...)

Eimear Farrell, Sep 8, 2011 @ 21:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

sat 8th of oct would suit me best though i can come the day before too (i just dont finish work until half seven).

@eimear: i don't think any of us are experts here so i reckon kev has the right idea as far as a nice relaxed atmosphere. personally i think it will be great fun! no feckin peg or  modh coinníollach, just a pint or two and simple introductions in irish. a lady here in geneva was kind enough to give me the contact details for an irish teacher so i've contacted him and am waiting to hear back from him. i'll let you all know how that goes. speaking only for myself i have zero interest in grammar classes or reading and writing, id just like to focus on getting my spoken level back a bit:o)

sat 8th of oct would suit me best though i can come the day before too (i just dont finish work until half seven).

@eimear: i don't think any of us are experts here so i reckon kev has the right idea as far as a nice relaxed atmosphere. personally i think it will be great fun! no feckin peg or  modh coinníollach, just a pint or two and simple introductions in irish. a lady here in geneva was kind enough to give me the contact details for an irish teacher so i've contacted him and am waiting to hear back from him. i'll let you all know how that goes. speaking only for myself i have zero interest in grammar classes or reading and writing, id just like to focus on getting my spoken level back a bit:o)

manics1984, Sep 9, 2011 @ 11:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Hey guys, the Group is now oscailte!

http://www.glocals.com/#/groups/irish-speakers-in-geneva-group.htm

Lets go with Saturday 8th, i'll put up an event...

ag súil go mór Leis.

Kev

Hey guys, the Group is now oscailte!

http://www.glocals.com/#/groups/irish-speakers-in-geneva-group.htm

Lets go with Saturday 8th, i'll put up an event...

ag súil go mór Leis.

Kev

Kevin M, Sep 13, 2011 @ 21:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 1395 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form