Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Air Conditioning in Switzerland?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Air Conditioning in Switzerland?

Just curious.... but do you ever hear about people buying Air Conditioning units in Switzerland?  Everytime I bring up this topic, saying that people should have and use A/C's in Summer here---- the Swiss say I'm nuts, that Summer here is to short and blah blah.. But even if it's short, it is a Summer, I hate sweating and as I'm demi-American, I'm quite used to it... so I don't see the problem of having them...  I'd love to hear other opinions.

I bought one when I was living in Germany, as I lived in an attic and I was going to die of heat exhaustion... now I moved to Montreux and thank god my apt. is fresh enough no matter the weather.... Anyway, I'm selling mine among other things in the  look in the classified section.. Mini Garage Sale ;)

Happy Summer everyone!"

The text you are quoting:

Just curious.... but do you ever hear about people buying Air Conditioning units in Switzerland?  Everytime I bring up this topic, saying that people should have and use A/C's in Summer here---- the Swiss say I'm nuts, that Summer here is to short and blah blah.. But even if it's short, it is a Summer, I hate sweating and as I'm demi-American, I'm quite used to it... so I don't see the problem of having them...  I'd love to hear other opinions.

I bought one when I was living in Germany, as I lived in an attic and I was going to die of heat exhaustion... now I moved to Montreux and thank god my apt. is fresh enough no matter the weather.... Anyway, I'm selling mine among other things in the  look in the classified section.. Mini Garage Sale ;)

Happy Summer everyone!"

Nu BeAug 17, 2011 @ 15:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

30 Replies | 16831 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Air Conditioning in Switzerland?
Post 1

too short* (typo)

too short* (typo)

Nu Be, Aug 17, 2011 @ 15:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I had one in Vevey.. Was a life safer.. as im 100% american.. its a requirement, its impossible to sleep if im not COLD.  Alot of people in our building had them as well (surrounded by other Nestle expats).   As long as your near North Americans, youll be able to sell it easily. 

I had one in Vevey.. Was a life safer.. as im 100% american.. its a requirement, its impossible to sleep if im not COLD.  Alot of people in our building had them as well (surrounded by other Nestle expats).   As long as your near North Americans, youll be able to sell it easily. 

Lexillent, Aug 17, 2011 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Well I have my own AC unit in my bedroom but not that effecient tho (with a tube going through my window...) but it helps.

Well I have my own AC unit in my bedroom but not that effecient tho (with a tube going through my window...) but it helps.

nicolas o, Aug 17, 2011 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

You're right that A/C is not very common here (except in workplaces) - we're not used to it and most people feel it's just not necessary.

My own opinion (as you asked for it): it's just a HUGE energy consumer and if we want to get off nuclear power we should think about that kind of thing twice (just like tumble dryers, for instance).

Apart from that, I'm not sure this is the right summer to sell an A/C unit as I can't imagine many people dying from heat exhaustion this year :-) But people often like having one in their workplace, like in small offices, hairdressers, doctor's surgeries etc.

You're right that A/C is not very common here (except in workplaces) - we're not used to it and most people feel it's just not necessary.

My own opinion (as you asked for it): it's just a HUGE energy consumer and if we want to get off nuclear power we should think about that kind of thing twice (just like tumble dryers, for instance).

Apart from that, I'm not sure this is the right summer to sell an A/C unit as I can't imagine many people dying from heat exhaustion this year :-) But people often like having one in their workplace, like in small offices, hairdressers, doctor's surgeries etc.

eva77, Aug 18, 2011 @ 10:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Why would you want air conditioning in a country as rich in clean air as Switzerland? Just move to the basement during the summer months or get a house. Houses are built so that they stay cool in summer. 

If you're in an appartment what's wrong with spending the whole day with nothing but some shorts? When I lived in Meyrin I loved warm days for this reason :-). 

On a more serious note shops like jumbo and other home improvement have portable air conditioning units on sale. You just need to find a place to exhaust the hot air. 

As a side product you'll have distilled water. 

Why would you want air conditioning in a country as rich in clean air as Switzerland? Just move to the basement during the summer months or get a house. Houses are built so that they stay cool in summer. 

If you're in an appartment what's wrong with spending the whole day with nothing but some shorts? When I lived in Meyrin I loved warm days for this reason :-). 

On a more serious note shops like jumbo and other home improvement have portable air conditioning units on sale. You just need to find a place to exhaust the hot air. 

Richard A, Aug 18, 2011 @ 10:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I agree with Eva, a/c is the sort of thing we're going to have to continue to do without if we want to seriously reduce our electricity consumption here in Switz. At the moment we're tending to use more power each year and not less. Getting serious about the environment involves changing individual lifestyles (ie accepting a little less in the way of creature comforts) for the common good.

Big contrast to places like the US where there's a history of heavy a/c usage and (at least until recently) little concern over energy consumption.

I agree with Eva, a/c is the sort of thing we're going to have to continue to do without if we want to seriously reduce our electricity consumption here in Switz. At the moment we're tending to use more power each year and not less. Getting serious about the environment involves changing individual lifestyles (ie accepting a little less in the way of creature comforts) for the common good.

Big contrast to places like the US where there's a history of heavy a/c usage and (at least until recently) little concern over energy consumption.

Nicolas M, Aug 18, 2011 @ 10:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Aug 18, 11 10:36

I'm wondering which uses more resources, cooling in the summer or heating in the Winter.  I'm shocked at how bloody hot every place of business is kept in the Winter around here.  It can be -5C outside and I'm stripping off layer after layer because I can't cool down.

I'm wondering which uses more resources, cooling in the summer or heating in the Winter.  I'm shocked at how bloody hot every place of business is kept in the Winter around here.  It can be -5C outside and I'm stripping off layer after layer because I can't cool down.

richardm, Aug 18, 2011 @ 11:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Aug 18, 11 11:45

Dear Richard,

I cannot agree more with you. 

No more to say....Wink

Dear Richard,

I cannot agree more with you. 

No more to say....Wink

Nu Be, Aug 18, 2011 @ 14:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Aug 18, 11 10:34

Did you read my post at all or just the title?

Did you read my post at all or just the title?

Nu Be, Aug 18, 2011 @ 14:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I can barely stand to go into a store or a restaurant in this country in the winter, its boiling hot.  And on the how Americans OVER Use A/C, on the radio today I heard everyone complaining about the scorcher of 31 today.  Its been over 40 every day in my home for 2 months with the added benefit of humidity.  See how quickly you get accustomed to air conditioning when you live in heat, have the availability of central air, and its inexpensive.  

I can barely stand to go into a store or a restaurant in this country in the winter, its boiling hot.  And on the how Americans OVER Use A/C, on the radio today I heard everyone complaining about the scorcher of 31 today.  Its been over 40 every day in my home for 2 months with the added benefit of humidity.  See how quickly you get accustomed to air conditioning when you live in heat, have the availability of central air, and its inexpensive.  

Lexillent, Aug 18, 2011 @ 15:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Maria_, Aug 18, 2011 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

OK sorry about the empty post above. Obviously using an ipod is a bit more difficult than i thought :P

Anw on topic. I agree that you shouldnt need air conditioning in Switzerland since the summer here is short and actually nothing compared to some summers in other places. I also agree though that at night, the sleep is better if the room is cold and you do need aircondition for that. But generally its not really worth the expense just for a couple of days per year.

But thats just my opinion and i come from a country where 40 degrees is an ok temperature in the summer and in the winter we can easily go around in shorts

OK sorry about the empty post above. Obviously using an ipod is a bit more difficult than i thought :P

Anw on topic. I agree that you shouldnt need air conditioning in Switzerland since the summer here is short and actually nothing compared to some summers in other places. I also agree though that at night, the sleep is better if the room is cold and you do need aircondition for that. But generally its not really worth the expense just for a couple of days per year.

But thats just my opinion and i come from a country where 40 degrees is an ok temperature in the summer and in the winter we can easily go around in shorts

Maria_, Aug 18, 2011 @ 15:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

So, generally speaking, since switz is getting rid of the nukes, our comfort will go backwards to year 1950... interesting.

So, generally speaking, since switz is getting rid of the nukes, our comfort will go backwards to year 1950... interesting.

Rafael L, Aug 23, 2011 @ 23:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Haha ..although one year late...I cannot withstand answering this as the last posts where quite funny in their ironical meaning.

I'm joining the club of people wanting A/C and not understanding why it is a strange thing.

A couple of questions come to mind:

- why Switzerland has 10A power plugs while for example the other EU countries have 16A (Germany for example ?)

- why if the power grid does not take well to people installing A/Cs, then the solution is not finding alternate ways of generating more power but limiting people and telling them to live in a more "uncomfortable but save the planet" way; freedom of choice should be hiding somewhere :)

- why if companies want to be open certain hours/certain days, the laws prohibit this ?

Maybe some people (students) would like to make an extra something by working during some schedules while the others would spend time with their family  (but they must have a choice and make their own plan).

I miss the times when I could find a non-stop supermarket to buy some food in the middle of the night (especially when coming home after a mountain trip on a Sunday night and having nothing to eat in the fridge; nothing fresh that is)

- why is it a problem with flushing the toilet, taking a shower after 22:00, same for vacuuming on a Sunday but it's not a problem with motorcycles, car horns during the middle of the night :)

- why instead of fixing an issue (building insulation, making landlords spend some of their earnings), it is more simple to make noise rules that put even more strict hours at work (some places with 20:00 for this purpose)

Addressing problems and solving them would prove in my opinion more straightforward but I'm not looking to start a major discussion on this.

It's just the way I perceive stuff at the moment as I'm not yet used to a conservative stance but more to a "let's do things" one.

Haha ..although one year late...I cannot withstand answering this as the last posts where quite funny in their ironical meaning.

I'm joining the club of people wanting A/C and not understanding why it is a strange thing.

A couple of questions come to mind:

- why Switzerland has 10A power plugs while for example the other EU countries have 16A (Germany for example ?)

- why if the power grid does not take well to people installing A/Cs, then the solution is not finding alternate ways of generating more power but limiting people and telling them to live in a more "uncomfortable but save the planet" way; freedom of choice should be hiding somewhere :)

- why if companies want to be open certain hours/certain days, the laws prohibit this ?

Maybe some people (students) would like to make an extra something by working during some schedules while the others would spend time with their family  (but they must have a choice and make their own plan).

I miss the times when I could find a non-stop supermarket to buy some food in the middle of the night (especially when coming home after a mountain trip on a Sunday night and having nothing to eat in the fridge; nothing fresh that is)

- why is it a problem with flushing the toilet, taking a shower after 22:00, same for vacuuming on a Sunday but it's not a problem with motorcycles, car horns during the middle of the night :)

- why instead of fixing an issue (building insulation, making landlords spend some of their earnings), it is more simple to make noise rules that put even more strict hours at work (some places with 20:00 for this purpose)

Addressing problems and solving them would prove in my opinion more straightforward but I'm not looking to start a major discussion on this.

It's just the way I perceive stuff at the moment as I'm not yet used to a conservative stance but more to a "let's do things" one.

Mihai T, Jun 19, 2012 @ 09:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

After this week of crazy heat in Geneva, the 1st thing I'm doing this Monday is calling my Regie to ask if there's any issue with me installing an air con in my rented Geneva apartment.

I'm talking about the real thing, not about one of those portable units with the hose coming out of the window.

I heard that installing an air con in Geneva is illegal is some cases, but I don't know if that's true, and if so: what are the criteria.

I'll post an update here when I have more details.

After this week of crazy heat in Geneva, the 1st thing I'm doing this Monday is calling my Regie to ask if there's any issue with me installing an air con in my rented Geneva apartment.

I'm talking about the real thing, not about one of those portable units with the hose coming out of the window.

I heard that installing an air con in Geneva is illegal is some cases, but I don't know if that's true, and if so: what are the criteria.

I'll post an update here when I have more details.

Nir Ofek, Aug 27, 2016 @ 20:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

You do not need air conditionned in Switzerland as maximum  about only 10 says a year of over 30*C

and That is very bad for Health and energy

You do not need air conditionned in Switzerland as maximum  about only 10 says a year of over 30*C

and That is very bad for Health and energy

Tessia M, Aug 27, 2016 @ 22:50

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

I also heard it's illegal :/

Good luck with yours though, keep

updated.

Best, 

Nelly 

I also heard it's illegal :/

Good luck with yours though, keep

updated.

Best, 

Nelly 

Nelly B, Aug 28, 2016 @ 00:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Shh.  Nir, don't tell the Swiss: Heating a home 8 months out of the year is much more energy-intensive than cooling it for 2-3 months.  I don't have numbers for Switzerland but the US spends an average of 4x more on heating than on cooling -- this average includes all the southern states.  If the Swiss really cared about saving the earth they'd all move to Morocco in October and come back to CH in June.

Shh.  Nir, don't tell the Swiss: Heating a home 8 months out of the year is much more energy-intensive than cooling it for 2-3 months.  I don't have numbers for Switzerland but the US spends an average of 4x more on heating than on cooling -- this average includes all the southern states.  If the Swiss really cared about saving the earth they'd all move to Morocco in October and come back to CH in June.

richardm, Aug 28, 2016 @ 01:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Jan 1, 70 01:00

What a scoop for glocals!  The true purpose of all those secret bank accounts is CH’s plan to annex the little old US of A.

I wonder what Trump’s goona say when he hears.

What a scoop for glocals!  The true purpose of all those secret bank accounts is CH’s plan to annex the little old US of A.

I wonder what Trump’s goona say when he hears.

Ritchie, Aug 28, 2016 @ 04:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Last night (when it was 27 degrees at midnight) I used one of those portable AC monsters. The Monster wasn't bad at cooling down a small room (it wasn't able to cool down a larger room tho), but was noisy as hell. Comme meme, it's not a bad solution. 

Last night (when it was 27 degrees at midnight) I used one of those portable AC monsters. The Monster wasn't bad at cooling down a small room (it wasn't able to cool down a larger room tho), but was noisy as hell. Comme meme, it's not a bad solution. 

Nir Ofek, Aug 28, 2016 @ 11:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

I am living in an attic, oriented South and I don't regret buying a air conditionninng unit, when it is 25° it is 28° in my appartment :D

It either filters indoor air and has warming option, because indeed I didnt want to buy something for couple of weeks. And yes Nir it is very very noisy :/

Now I hope people thinking it is too energy eating don't use their air conditionning in the car (+10% on gazole)...or well have a bike instead of a car :)

I am living in an attic, oriented South and I don't regret buying a air conditionninng unit, when it is 25° it is 28° in my appartment :D

It either filters indoor air and has warming option, because indeed I didnt want to buy something for couple of weeks. And yes Nir it is very very noisy :/

Now I hope people thinking it is too energy eating don't use their air conditionning in the car (+10% on gazole)...or well have a bike instead of a car :)

Erwan P, Aug 28, 2016 @ 14:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Think you people worry too much :)

In the years I was here I've seen Swiss people against A/C (usually quoting health and electricity bill reasons) and I also made Swiss friends that installed one (either their relatives owned the building or they got a mobile one instead).

Us foreginers usually need it more as we're not used to it and some mobile ones are quite quiet (depends now how sensible one is to noise and in which environment he/she was raised...in my case I always had noise around me so I can't really sense it).

With A/C, some guys:

- usually think about the electricity bill for 1-2 months (and no, there are not only 10 days) but instead waste money on gadgets, cars and other things which one could do without (or with less luxury)

- really are immune to heat and can sleep well at night with just a fan (sadly, I'm not so lucky)

- think about health as they never had A/C and get a cold / sick instantly when in an environment with one, so it's understandable (but use one in their car when going home:p); when you grow up with it, you no longer get sick from a cold breeze; at work the new, minergie buildings which cool the air via underground are really a good alternative to A/C and one has the recommended indoor 23 degrees

- true that one tends to ignore the cost of heating 4 months in the winter to the quite high / unreasonable 28 degrees everywhere vs cooling down an apartment for 1-2 months so that you can go to work without big, black circles around your eyes from the lack of sleep when sweating like there's no tomorrow:)

All in all:

- for split units - you have to ask for approvals and it's going to hurt your head

- for mobile unit with little split unit, you just need a little hole in the balcony glass and get the evaucation thingie over there (or keep your balcony door partially open..not so efficient)

- use a mobile unit which gives better ratings noise and energy consuption wise

As always, there is a solution for everyone and what is acceptable for someone is not for someone else (the eternal war between A/C vs no-A/C).

My 2 cents:)

Think you people worry too much :)

In the years I was here I've seen Swiss people against A/C (usually quoting health and electricity bill reasons) and I also made Swiss friends that installed one (either their relatives owned the building or they got a mobile one instead).

Us foreginers usually need it more as we're not used to it and some mobile ones are quite quiet (depends now how sensible one is to noise and in which environment he/she was raised...in my case I always had noise around me so I can't really sense it).

With A/C, some guys:

- usually think about the electricity bill for 1-2 months (and no, there are not only 10 days) but instead waste money on gadgets, cars and other things which one could do without (or with less luxury)

- really are immune to heat and can sleep well at night with just a fan (sadly, I'm not so lucky)

- think about health as they never had A/C and get a cold / sick instantly when in an environment with one, so it's understandable (but use one in their car when going home:p); when you grow up with it, you no longer get sick from a cold breeze; at work the new, minergie buildings which cool the air via underground are really a good alternative to A/C and one has the recommended indoor 23 degrees

- true that one tends to ignore the cost of heating 4 months in the winter to the quite high / unreasonable 28 degrees everywhere vs cooling down an apartment for 1-2 months so that you can go to work without big, black circles around your eyes from the lack of sleep when sweating like there's no tomorrow:)

All in all:

- for split units - you have to ask for approvals and it's going to hurt your head

- for mobile unit with little split unit, you just need a little hole in the balcony glass and get the evaucation thingie over there (or keep your balcony door partially open..not so efficient)

- use a mobile unit which gives better ratings noise and energy consuption wise

As always, there is a solution for everyone and what is acceptable for someone is not for someone else (the eternal war between A/C vs no-A/C).

My 2 cents:)

Mihai T, Aug 28, 2016 @ 21:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

There are many other things on which one can save energy.

I really think Switzerland is not prepared for the heat. Having 29C in an office is unbereable and there is no excuse for making your employees sweat like that while they try to work, just because "it's only a couple of weeks per year". Well, it's more than a couple of weeks, and it's every year, so the investment is justified. It's up to whoever has the control of the A/C to use it wisely, and only when it's necessary. I think they don't sell almost any cars in Switzerland without air conditioning, and that Swiss clients are not willing to do without that comfort. So it's kind of contradictory.

Last week I went to a show (film with orchestra accompaniment) in the Capitol cinema in Lausanne. It's a historic building that was recently acquired and renovated by the city of Lausanne. Apparently nobody thought a climatization system was necessary during the renovation. Well, so you had ~500 people sweating like pigs (while outside it was only around 25C) instead of enjoying the show they had paid for. This is the last time I'm going to buy tickets for cinema/concert/theater or any other indoor show that takes places during the summer, it's just not worth it.

There are many aspects in which Switzerland needs to become a bit modern. Using ecology as a reason is not always a valid excuse.

There are many other things on which one can save energy.

I really think Switzerland is not prepared for the heat. Having 29C in an office is unbereable and there is no excuse for making your employees sweat like that while they try to work, just because "it's only a couple of weeks per year". Well, it's more than a couple of weeks, and it's every year, so the investment is justified. It's up to whoever has the control of the A/C to use it wisely, and only when it's necessary. I think they don't sell almost any cars in Switzerland without air conditioning, and that Swiss clients are not willing to do without that comfort. So it's kind of contradictory.

Last week I went to a show (film with orchestra accompaniment) in the Capitol cinema in Lausanne. It's a historic building that was recently acquired and renovated by the city of Lausanne. Apparently nobody thought a climatization system was necessary during the renovation. Well, so you had ~500 people sweating like pigs (while outside it was only around 25C) instead of enjoying the show they had paid for. This is the last time I'm going to buy tickets for cinema/concert/theater or any other indoor show that takes places during the summer, it's just not worth it.

There are many aspects in which Switzerland needs to become a bit modern. Using ecology as a reason is not always a valid excuse.

ajimenezp, Aug 28, 2016 @ 21:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

For the price of  the ticket I agree one should not have an uncomfortable time !!! But I am completely and utterly against airconditioning !! a) it makes you ill ,millions of microbes floate around in there. b) its another very much consuming source of energie which at the present moment as long as we are not largely on renewable energie, its a realy bad consumption!!! c) in other countries like India  Thailand  south America ect   they are wett with transpiration all day and night ...and they dont complain !  BUT   yes the prices in summer for any indoor show should be reduced if the temperature gets over 23 in a hall. 

For the price of  the ticket I agree one should not have an uncomfortable time !!! But I am completely and utterly against airconditioning !! a) it makes you ill ,millions of microbes floate around in there. b) its another very much consuming source of energie which at the present moment as long as we are not largely on renewable energie, its a realy bad consumption!!! c) in other countries like India  Thailand  south America ect   they are wett with transpiration all day and night ...and they dont complain !  BUT   yes the prices in summer for any indoor show should be reduced if the temperature gets over 23 in a hall. 

Helma Fairgrieve, Aug 29, 2016 @ 09:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

If I remember correctly, Air/con is not prohibited but you must request permission to install a system, prove why it is necessary, and show that the system being installed conforms to certain criteria such as used air and water elimination/recycling for example. It is illegal to eject used air directly into the atmosphere without special treatment. And it can be recycled too for the heating system as well. Maybe that's what happens with car aircon too?

I remember the paper work was quite a lot and quite technical too and it puts off a lot of businesses to make the request. All those mobile air/cons that you see being eliminated through an open window are illegal for sure. The state, I think, has a policy of not using air-conditioning and this is probably why it wasn't installed in the Capitol cinema in Lausanne for example. They do try to promote other ways of ventilating buildings with the Minergie label like inside/outside automatic blinds or innovative methods such as covering buildings with vegetation which brings down inside temperatures. It's true it can be stifling at times but it's not a long season here. And obviously, considering indoor heating in winter, the Swiss like it hotSmile.

If I remember correctly, Air/con is not prohibited but you must request permission to install a system, prove why it is necessary, and show that the system being installed conforms to certain criteria such as used air and water elimination/recycling for example. It is illegal to eject used air directly into the atmosphere without special treatment. And it can be recycled too for the heating system as well. Maybe that's what happens with car aircon too?

I remember the paper work was quite a lot and quite technical too and it puts off a lot of businesses to make the request. All those mobile air/cons that you see being eliminated through an open window are illegal for sure. The state, I think, has a policy of not using air-conditioning and this is probably why it wasn't installed in the Capitol cinema in Lausanne for example. They do try to promote other ways of ventilating buildings with the Minergie label like inside/outside automatic blinds or innovative methods such as covering buildings with vegetation which brings down inside temperatures. It's true it can be stifling at times but it's not a long season here. And obviously, considering indoor heating in winter, the Swiss like it hotSmile.

Anne-Marie L, Aug 29, 2016 @ 14:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Aug 29, 16 14:29

Very heloful Anne-Marie, thanks for the info

Very heloful Anne-Marie, thanks for the info

Nir Ofek, Aug 29, 2016 @ 14:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Aug 29, 16 09:41

Helma: 

We'll test your convictions next summer when it's 35 degrees outside, and I invite you over to dinner at my AC'ed place...(-:

By the way, I understand your arguments about energy and microbs. Par contre, your argument about developing countries not using AC is not strong. Many rural poor parts of Russia and Poland also don't use heating in winter, but that's no reason to say Switzerland should also avoid heating homes. 

Helma: 

We'll test your convictions next summer when it's 35 degrees outside, and I invite you over to dinner at my AC'ed place...(-:

By the way, I understand your arguments about energy and microbs. Par contre, your argument about developing countries not using AC is not strong. Many rural poor parts of Russia and Poland also don't use heating in winter, but that's no reason to say Switzerland should also avoid heating homes. 

Nir Ofek, Aug 29, 2016 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

My father happens to work (have a company) that among others, sells aircond.

It is only having microbes and such when you forget to clean filters, change them, etc (which happens in some places because it adds cost and people are lazy.

Otherwise, I've been living with an A/C unit (split) since I was 10 and aside from getting a cold initially, I never had anything till now, a lot of years later:)

So, such arguments are subjective.

It is only having microbes and such when you forget to clean filters, change them, etc (which happens in some places because it adds cost and people are lazy.

Otherwise, I've been living with an A/C unit (split) since I was 10 and aside from getting a cold initially, I never had anything till now, a lot of years later:)

Mihai T, Aug 29, 2016 @ 14:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Aug 29, 16 14:47

Does your dad's company install AC at private residence, or only at businesses?

Does your dad's company install AC at private residence, or only at businesses?

Nir Ofek, Aug 29, 2016 @ 14:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

private only but not in CH  (and a lot of people buy) :) in a country where we're more anti-heat in the summer :) as we have around 40 degrees.

private only but not in CH  (and a lot of people buy) :) in a country where we're more anti-heat in the summer :) as we have around 40 degrees.

Mihai T, Aug 29, 2016 @ 14:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
30 Replies | 16831 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form