Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Best place for New Year's Eve in Switzerland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Best place for New Year's Eve in Switzerland

I was planning to celebrate New Year's eve in London (yes, you have to start early if you want to find good hotel rooms), but I just found out that my daughter is too young to be admitted in the ticketed area.

So, I need a plan B. It is not hard to find the (few) places where there are substantial celebrations in public places in Geneva, but what is harder is to find out which is best, specially with an 8 year old child.

Any suggestions?

The text you are quoting:

I was planning to celebrate New Year's eve in London (yes, you have to start early if you want to find good hotel rooms), but I just found out that my daughter is too young to be admitted in the ticketed area.

So, I need a plan B. It is not hard to find the (few) places where there are substantial celebrations in public places in Geneva, but what is harder is to find out which is best, specially with an 8 year old child.

Any suggestions?

JR MOct 22, 2017 @ 15:42
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1564 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Best place for New Year's Eve in Switzerland
Post 1

Sorry "de dem," but my daughter is at school starting at 8:30 am, so "sleeping by 9:00" is not practical. At night, she goes to bed at 20:00.

On New Year's Eve, I am willing to make an exception and keep her up until midnight, now that she is old enough to begin to partake on our social traditions and celebrations, which I think is healthy and helpful, but even then, I don't think I will keep her up until 9:00 the next morning.

Tongue OutTongue OutTongue OutTongue OutTongue OutTongue OutWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

By the way, the reason they put age limits in London, I have learned, is because of current security concerns, which I find convincing, even if sad. I was planning to stay at a hotel less than 100 meters from the London Eye and Westminster Bridge, at the heart of the fireworks celebration, so we could be within very short walking distance from our room.

It is really a shame. In most countries, christmas and New Year's are warm family celebrations. In Mexico, they are joyous and people are at their best as they celebrate in public places, even hugging strangers at the stroke of midnight. I am hearing that is not the case in some countries, which I always thought of as developed, and have been cautioned that things can even get rowdy. Oh well. What a shame.

Hope you enjoy the holidays....

Sorry "de dem," but my daughter is at school starting at 8:30 am, so "sleeping by 9:00" is not practical. At night, she goes to bed at 20:00.

On New Year's Eve, I am willing to make an exception and keep her up until midnight, now that she is old enough to begin to partake on our social traditions and celebrations, which I think is healthy and helpful, but even then, I don't think I will keep her up until 9:00 the next morning.

Tongue OutTongue OutTongue OutTongue OutTongue OutTongue OutWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

By the way, the reason they put age limits in London, I have learned, is because of current security concerns, which I find convincing, even if sad. I was planning to stay at a hotel less than 100 meters from the London Eye and Westminster Bridge, at the heart of the fireworks celebration, so we could be within very short walking distance from our room.

It is really a shame. In most countries, christmas and New Year's are warm family celebrations. In Mexico, they are joyous and people are at their best as they celebrate in public places, even hugging strangers at the stroke of midnight. I am hearing that is not the case in some countries, which I always thought of as developed, and have been cautioned that things can even get rowdy. Oh well. What a shame.

Hope you enjoy the holidays....

JR M, Nov 11, 2017 @ 16:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

....And I hope your parents do let you stay up until midnight on New Year's eve. After all, it is only once a year, and the next day is a holiday, so you can rest.

Tongue OutWink

....And I hope your parents do let you stay up until midnight on New Year's eve. After all, it is only once a year, and the next day is a holiday, so you can rest.

Tongue OutWink

JR M, Nov 11, 2017 @ 17:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

one odd aspect about New Yeard in Switzerland is that people don't dance until midnight, and if you do you get that particular look of Swiss disdain

one odd aspect about New Yeard in Switzerland is that people don't dance until midnight, and if you do you get that particular look of Swiss disdain

DABoyer, Nov 12, 2017 @ 01:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1564 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form