Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Break-ins and the cops

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Break-ins and the cops

So, our place got broken into, and was totally ransacked. No-one heard a thing despite the fact that it looks like a bulldozer was used on the door. So far, my dead parents wedding rings are the only thing I can see is stolen. But the place is trashed so it will take a while.

My question is about how to handle things with the police, because they seem utterly disinterested and disorganized, and does anyone else have experience or advice about checking with pawn shops? Seems the robbers were looking for cash and gold (bad choice of apartment for them, really).

THanks for any advice.

The text you are quoting:

So, our place got broken into, and was totally ransacked. No-one heard a thing despite the fact that it looks like a bulldozer was used on the door. So far, my dead parents wedding rings are the only thing I can see is stolen. But the place is trashed so it will take a while.

My question is about how to handle things with the police, because they seem utterly disinterested and disorganized, and does anyone else have experience or advice about checking with pawn shops? Seems the robbers were looking for cash and gold (bad choice of apartment for them, really).

THanks for any advice.

bearded09Oct 24, 2016 @ 20:56
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 922 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Break-ins and the cops
Post 1

It became a daily event in the region a few years ago and the police is not equipped to go after each robbery. Try to find out what went missing, get the police report and file your claim with your insurance. They will refund you quickly.

Nothing you can do and going to the police demanding them to move forward with your case will be just a pointless hassle.

I had my car broken into. So did some other colleagues even in car parking with cameras.

A lot of the doors are very easy to destroy in Geneve. I am lucky as in our house the regie changed the doors so we have the standard German security doors but in houses with old or simple doors without acccess locks, it is just a matter of time.

It became a daily event in the region a few years ago and the police is not equipped to go after each robbery. Try to find out what went missing, get the police report and file your claim with your insurance. They will refund you quickly.

Nothing you can do and going to the police demanding them to move forward with your case will be just a pointless hassle.

I had my car broken into. So did some other colleagues even in car parking with cameras.

A lot of the doors are very easy to destroy in Geneve. I am lucky as in our house the regie changed the doors so we have the standard German security doors but in houses with old or simple doors without acccess locks, it is just a matter of time.

Reka Y, Oct 24, 2016 @ 22:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I had my apartment broken into 2 years ago (all three apartments on my floor had been burglarized) and the police had already arrived once I showed up after work. Did you not contact the police immediately after the break-in? If not you need to do so in order to obtain the report from the police. The officers present at the time of my break-in were pleasant and well informed (Lausanne): the told me that all most non professional burglers are looking for is cash and gold - they will empty every single drawer and will be in and out in no time. Also, most apartment doors are extremely easy to open.

I did file with my insurance company - listing all the missing items - but as did not have any sales receipts - I was refunded only 60% of what I had listed (several expensive watches and nice pieces of jewelry).  And finally, I never saw my missing items again.

I had my apartment broken into 2 years ago (all three apartments on my floor had been burglarized) and the police had already arrived once I showed up after work. Did you not contact the police immediately after the break-in? If not you need to do so in order to obtain the report from the police. The officers present at the time of my break-in were pleasant and well informed (Lausanne): the told me that all most non professional burglers are looking for is cash and gold - they will empty every single drawer and will be in and out in no time. Also, most apartment doors are extremely easy to open.

I did file with my insurance company - listing all the missing items - but as did not have any sales receipts - I was refunded only 60% of what I had listed (several expensive watches and nice pieces of jewelry).  And finally, I never saw my missing items again.

Karin E, Oct 25, 2016 @ 16:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

the police called us - we were out of town

the police called us - we were out of town

bearded09, Oct 25, 2016 @ 16:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

You have to go to your local Police station and lodge a complaint against "inconnu" for break in and theft.

The police will give you a copy of the complaint which you then have to take to the Police at Chemin de la Gravière 5, 1227 Acacias. They will give you another paper (Frs 30.00) Which you then give to your insurance company with your claim.

Your insurance company will refund the frs 30.00

Anything you claim for without receipts may well be refused or they will insult you by offering peanuts. (That was my experience at least).

You have to go to your local Police station and lodge a complaint against "inconnu" for break in and theft.

The police will give you a copy of the complaint which you then have to take to the Police at Chemin de la Gravière 5, 1227 Acacias. They will give you another paper (Frs 30.00) Which you then give to your insurance company with your claim.

Your insurance company will refund the frs 30.00

Anything you claim for without receipts may well be refused or they will insult you by offering peanuts. (That was my experience at least).

Shirley T, Oct 25, 2016 @ 22:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 922 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form