Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Building administrators and private property (in France voisine)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Building administrators and private property (in France voisine)

Hello everybody! I would like to tell you about my disadventure at Annemasse where I live. I would like to ask for your opinion.

Coming back a week ago from the holidays at 10pm I found a notice hanging from the door. The “syndic” (building administrator) warns me that due to asbestos control (not so urgent) he had to force my door (in the presence of a officer of justice) to enter. Obviously, I remained out of home and had to go to the hotel. In addition to the annoyance, the syndic informed me that the cost of the break-in and the new lock will be charged to me because I had been warned of this visit by registered letter on July 26th (when I had already departed for the holidays). The nice "visit" was on August 2nd, just one week after and during a full vacation period. In practice, they have been authorized by themselves !!

Is it possible this behavior in France is legal? Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hello everybody! I would like to tell you about my disadventure at Annemasse where I live. I would like to ask for your opinion.

Coming back a week ago from the holidays at 10pm I found a notice hanging from the door. The “syndic” (building administrator) warns me that due to asbestos control (not so urgent) he had to force my door (in the presence of a officer of justice) to enter. Obviously, I remained out of home and had to go to the hotel. In addition to the annoyance, the syndic informed me that the cost of the break-in and the new lock will be charged to me because I had been warned of this visit by registered letter on July 26th (when I had already departed for the holidays). The nice "visit" was on August 2nd, just one week after and during a full vacation period. In practice, they have been authorized by themselves !!

Is it possible this behavior in France is legal? Thanks!

Mauro MSep 3, 2017 @ 15:48
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 722 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Building administrators and private property (in France voisine)
Post 1

This story is amazing! Surprised

This story is amazing! Surprised

Astrid P, Sep 4, 2017 @ 14:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I've read that many syndics perform very bad service. So I'm not convinced that  this is such an extraordinary story.

The syndic works for the co-proprieté. So I'd check if the Assembée Generale had decided to execute this contral, and when. If the AG had made such a decision, then he probably is covered.

If you're a renter, and your land-lord hasn't informed you of such a decision, than you can complain to him.

I've read that many syndics perform very bad service. So I'm not convinced that  this is such an extraordinary story.

The syndic works for the co-proprieté. So I'd check if the Assembée Generale had decided to execute this contral, and when. If the AG had made such a decision, then he probably is covered.

If you're a renter, and your land-lord hasn't informed you of such a decision, than you can complain to him.

tawb, Sep 4, 2017 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I am not an expert in French law but the notification sent was very short. Unless there is imminent danger - such as pipe broken, gas leakage etc. I very much doubt that with sending one notification, they have had the right to open up the appartment. 

French law is really pro-tenant.

To me the whole issue seems to be as if someone forgot to do his/her own job at the building management company - they may have been obliged by a public body to complete the assessment within a certain deadline and the case handler went overboard to complete the task.

I think if you have a legal insurance, it is worth to check the legal background. 

I am not an expert in French law but the notification sent was very short. Unless there is imminent danger - such as pipe broken, gas leakage etc. I very much doubt that with sending one notification, they have had the right to open up the appartment. 

To me the whole issue seems to be as if someone forgot to do his/her own job at the building management company - they may have been obliged by a public body to complete the assessment within a certain deadline and the case handler went overboard to complete the task.

I think if you have a legal insurance, it is worth to check the legal background. 

Reka Y, Sep 4, 2017 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

was a nightmare, not amazing :D

was a nightmare, not amazing :D

Mauro M, Sep 6, 2017 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Sep 4, 17 17:27

Thanks. I think you are right. But in any case I don't think that it is legal to break the door just one week after being informed abot the control. Since I am the owner I can just complain... to myself

Thanks. I think you are right. But in any case I don't think that it is legal to break the door just one week after being informed abot the control. Since I am the owner I can just complain... to myself

Mauro M, Sep 6, 2017 @ 10:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Sep 4, 17 17:28

I'm doing as you suggested me. I will contact my insurance. Thanks a lot!

I'm doing as you suggested me. I will contact my insurance. Thanks a lot!

Mauro M, Sep 6, 2017 @ 10:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 722 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form