Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > CH Law on NOT recommending a company/service??

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
CH Law on NOT recommending a company/service??

Hello,

Is anyone aware of what the law is in CH if you were to post online/social media not to use a specific company so that others are not duped/conned/ripped off by them?

I think others should be aware but I don't want to leave myself open to being sued.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

Is anyone aware of what the law is in CH if you were to post online/social media not to use a specific company so that others are not duped/conned/ripped off by them?

I think others should be aware but I don't want to leave myself open to being sued.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Angela BSep 30, 2016 @ 13:23
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 798 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: CH Law on NOT recommending a company/service??
Post 1

I'm not a lawyer. But from what I know, such a comment could be considered illigal defamation and open you up for risk if:

- it damages the reputation of the business place

AND

- it's false (or not based on real facts)

And of course the business place in question would have to see your review and decide to take legal action against you. 

So I think as long as you stick to clear facts that can't be argued, your risk is low. The more you go into opinions or debatable facts, the higher your risk. 

I'm not a lawyer. But from what I know, such a comment could be considered illigal defamation and open you up for risk if:

- it damages the reputation of the business place

AND

- it's false (or not based on real facts)

And of course the business place in question would have to see your review and decide to take legal action against you. 

So I think as long as you stick to clear facts that can't be argued, your risk is low. The more you go into opinions or debatable facts, the higher your risk. 

Nir Ofek, Sep 30, 2016 @ 14:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you Nir. That's what I thought & will be it in mind.

I want people to be aware, but not put myself at risk. I have had, since posting this, a few emails and sms's warning me in a 'politely' threatening way of legal action.

Not only that they did not fulfill their agreed obligations (I have many emails of agreement from them) but claim that anything agreed - even by email - is not covered by the contract.

Luckily I did not pay in full. I am concerned that others will be fully duped by this company.

I will contact relevant department for Geneva city and bring it to their attention and see what they say.

Thank you Nir. That's what I thought & will be it in mind.

I want people to be aware, but not put myself at risk. I have had, since posting this, a few emails and sms's warning me in a 'politely' threatening way of legal action.

Not only that they did not fulfill their agreed obligations (I have many emails of agreement from them) but claim that anything agreed - even by email - is not covered by the contract.

Luckily I did not pay in full. I am concerned that others will be fully duped by this company.

I will contact relevant department for Geneva city and bring it to their attention and see what they say.

Angela B, Sep 30, 2016 @ 14:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Maybe you can check with La Fédération Romande des consommateurs.

Share your experience here.

Ask for advice here.

Probably only in French though...

Maybe you can check with La Fédération Romande des consommateurs.

Share your experience here.

Ask for advice here.

Probably only in French though...

Casuistik, Sep 30, 2016 @ 15:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Just saw that you are in ZH... This seems to be the Swiss German equivalent.

Just saw that you are in ZH... This seems to be the Swiss German equivalent.

Casuistik, Sep 30, 2016 @ 15:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

The French-Swiss consumers’ group used to have English-speaking staff and probably still do.  I would imagine the ZH equivalent also offers the same service.

R.

The French-Swiss consumers’ group used to have English-speaking staff and probably still do.  I would imagine the ZH equivalent also offers the same service.

R.

Ritchie, Sep 30, 2016 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Basically, it was a cleaning company guaranteeing handover to regie in GENEVA this week...hence me now up showing as up North :)

I will definitely be following up on the links provided - many thanks.

So many scams these days, therefore, I think it is important to help others by providing honest reviews & awareness.

Have a great weekend!

Basically, it was a cleaning company guaranteeing handover to regie in GENEVA this week...hence me now up showing as up North :)

I will definitely be following up on the links provided - many thanks.

So many scams these days, therefore, I think it is important to help others by providing honest reviews & awareness.

Have a great weekend!

Angela B, Sep 30, 2016 @ 18:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 798 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form