Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Car Insurance - bringing UK car to GVA for 1 month before permanently relocating to UK

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Car Insurance - bringing UK car to GVA for 1 month before permanently relocating to UK

Advice please Smile

I'm British, currently resident in Geneva, and will be moving back to the UK in a couple of months.  I have pets, and will need to drive them from Geneva to UK on the final day of the move.  

By that time I will have sold my Swiss car. I'm hoping to bring my UK car to CH 3-4 weeks before leaving, to make sure I've always got wheels (after selling CH car), and for the final departure with a boot/trunk-load of animals.  UK car is registered in my name, parents' address, not currently insured. 

I spoke to a bunch of UK insurance companies today.  As I'm not currently a British resident they can't/wont insure me to drive my UK car, either in the UK or anywhere else. I have to be resident in Blighty before they'll insure me.

So... Has anyone else faced this?  Will Swiss insurance companies provide cover for a non-Swiss car that I want to bring into the country on a temporary basis (plan will be to have the UK car in CH for the final 3-4 weeks or so, before driving to UK and rescinding Swiss residency). I tried contacting my CH insurance company (AXA) but haven't heard back. 

Any (genuine, helpful) advice will be gratefully received.  

Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Advice please Smile

I'm British, currently resident in Geneva, and will be moving back to the UK in a couple of months.  I have pets, and will need to drive them from Geneva to UK on the final day of the move.  

By that time I will have sold my Swiss car. I'm hoping to bring my UK car to CH 3-4 weeks before leaving, to make sure I've always got wheels (after selling CH car), and for the final departure with a boot/trunk-load of animals.  UK car is registered in my name, parents' address, not currently insured. 

I spoke to a bunch of UK insurance companies today.  As I'm not currently a British resident they can't/wont insure me to drive my UK car, either in the UK or anywhere else. I have to be resident in Blighty before they'll insure me.

So... Has anyone else faced this?  Will Swiss insurance companies provide cover for a non-Swiss car that I want to bring into the country on a temporary basis (plan will be to have the UK car in CH for the final 3-4 weeks or so, before driving to UK and rescinding Swiss residency). I tried contacting my CH insurance company (AXA) but haven't heard back. 

Any (genuine, helpful) advice will be gratefully received.  

Thanks!

Vanessa FFeb 13, 2018 @ 18:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 974 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Car Insurance - bringing UK car to GVA for 1 month before permanently relocating to UK
Post 1
Hello
go directly to the car office Geneva because they have plates with insurance for export ... if that's what I understood ...

http://ge.ch/vehicules/plaques-pour-exportation

Cantonal Service of Vehicles
Route of Veyrier 86
1227 Carouge
T. +41 22 388 30 30
Hello
go directly to the car office Geneva because they have plates with insurance for export ... if that's what I understood ...

http://ge.ch/vehicules/plaques-pour-exportation

Cantonal Service of Vehicles
Route of Veyrier 86
1227 Carouge
T. +41 22 388 30 30
Hanifa o, Feb 14, 2018 @ 11:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Car Insurance - bringing UK car to GVA for 1 month before permanently relocating to UK
Post 2

Did you find a solution‽ 

You could ask your parents to insure it in their name with yourself as an extra driver + cover for european travel.
The AA do breakdown and european travel insurance.
Let us know the outcome, I may find myself in a similar situation shortly.

Did you find a solution‽ 

You could ask your parents to insure it in their name with yourself as an extra driver + cover for european travel.

Shirley T, Mar 27, 2018 @ 08:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Did you find a solution‽ 

Mar 27, 18 08:19

HI. Yup. Did exactly this. Transfered car into Mum’s name in UK. Insurance in her name in UK also, with me as named driver. We’ll transfer all into my name once I have moved to UK.

HI. Yup. Did exactly this. Transfered car into Mum’s name in UK. Insurance in her name in UK also, with me as named driver. We’ll transfer all into my name once I have moved to UK.

Vanessa F, Mar 27, 2018 @ 08:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 974 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form