Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Car insurance in Swiss

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Car insurance in Swiss

HI, 

I am a foreign student from Hong Kong. And I am now thinking to get a used car in Swiss. I wonder is this a good idea? Because the problem is train ticket is so expensive in Swiss... so I wanted to ask is car insurance expensive?(If getting a used car) Also gasoline?

Also, I am holding a US driving license now.. Is it possible to buy a used car and drive with my US license? And if not can I exchange a swiss driving license with it? Or I needa do driving test and stuff in order to get the license?

Basically, my question is Is owning a car in Swiss expensive??

Please help me... thanks!

The text you are quoting:

HI, 

I am a foreign student from Hong Kong. And I am now thinking to get a used car in Swiss. I wonder is this a good idea? Because the problem is train ticket is so expensive in Swiss... so I wanted to ask is car insurance expensive?(If getting a used car) Also gasoline?

Also, I am holding a US driving license now.. Is it possible to buy a used car and drive with my US license? And if not can I exchange a swiss driving license with it? Or I needa do driving test and stuff in order to get the license?

Basically, my question is Is owning a car in Swiss expensive??

Please help me... thanks!

Cheryl LamAug 28, 2015 @ 12:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1647 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Car insurance in Swiss
Post 1

Firstly Cheryl

It is SWITZERLAND and not Swiss - Swiss are the people who live in the country.

Secondly, car insurance is very expensive in SWITZERLAND - if you wish to find the least expensive, look under Comparis.ch for the best rates.

If you do not have one already, buy a Mi-Taxe Abonnement [Halbtaxabonnement] where you can travel for 50% of the cost.

Firstly Cheryl

Secondly, car insurance is very expensive in SWITZERLAND - if you wish to find the least expensive, look under Comparis.ch for the best rates.

If you do not have one already, buy a Mi-Taxe Abonnement [Halbtaxabonnement] where you can travel for 50% of the cost.

sheila c, Aug 28, 2015 @ 13:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Cheryl,

Check out this page for more info on insurance:
http://www.glocals.com/guides/guide-insurance-switzerland-allianz/car-motorcycle/

And if you then need more info contact Aymeric (his details are on the page).

Good luck,

Oded

Hi Cheryl,

Check out this page for more info on insurance:
http://www.glocals.com/guides/guide-insurance-switzerland-allianz/car-motorcycle/

And if you then need more info contact Aymeric (his details are on the page).

Good luck,

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Aug 28, 2015 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Firstly Cheryl

Aug 28, 15 13:02

It is not expensive at all. dunno where you come from but for me, I pay 1130 chf a year FULL kasko. in Italy it would cost 3 times as much. In germany in 2006 it was also more.

It is not expensive at all. dunno where you come from but for me, I pay 1130 chf a year FULL kasko. in Italy it would cost 3 times as much. In germany in 2006 it was also more.

Gennaro S, Aug 28, 2015 @ 21:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Owning a car isexpensive yes. As said, insurance is not expensive. Car tax can be for a small one in the 250 chf a year region. gasoline is cheapby european standards but still a good 1.5 chf a liter(that makes about 6 usd a gallon I think.)plus PARKING....that is a huge pain in the ass here.

Also used cars are pricey.

You can drive with a US driving licence I think but only for less than a year.

Rg

Owning a car isexpensive yes. As said, insurance is not expensive. Car tax can be for a small one in the 250 chf a year region. gasoline is cheapby european standards but still a good 1.5 chf a liter(that makes about 6 usd a gallon I think.)plus PARKING....that is a huge pain in the ass here.

Also used cars are pricey.

You can drive with a US driving licence I think but only for less than a year.

Rg

Gennaro S, Aug 28, 2015 @ 21:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Aug 28, 15 21:26

We read what you say, and of course comparisons are odious to quote a well-know phrase.

But we live just across the border in France and also have full gasko for which we pay 700.-- for a 2 litre car

We read what you say, and of course comparisons are odious to quote a well-know phrase.

But we live just across the border in France and also have full gasko for which we pay 700.-- for a 2 litre car

sheila c, Aug 29, 2015 @ 11:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

insurance depends on the value of the car and which options u wanna have in ur insurance, so u cannot just compare two tarrifs unless if it was for the same car.

Depending on ur situation, u should do some calculations so that u know for sure whether or not having a car would be more profitable. But in general, it would cost u more to own a car than to go by with public transport. Nonetheless, people buy cars to get a higher quality of life too, not only for financial reasons...

As said before, check www.comparis.ch for a comparison of car insurances for the same car, or check the glocals section about that too!

check www.autoscout24.ch to have an idea of cars' prices for wihch u're aiming for.

good luck!

Sinan

insurance depends on the value of the car and which options u wanna have in ur insurance, so u cannot just compare two tarrifs unless if it was for the same car.

Depending on ur situation, u should do some calculations so that u know for sure whether or not having a car would be more profitable. But in general, it would cost u more to own a car than to go by with public transport. Nonetheless, people buy cars to get a higher quality of life too, not only for financial reasons...

As said before, check www.comparis.ch for a comparison of car insurances for the same car, or check the glocals section about that too!

check www.autoscout24.ch to have an idea of cars' prices for wihch u're aiming for.

good luck!

Sinan

Sinan, Aug 29, 2015 @ 14:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Important to know is what you intend to do with the car - if you plan on commuting every day to save time or convenience and it's a long distance, it may work out best to own a car, especially if your commute isn't served well by public transport.  

If you're just interested in taking the odd weekend trip every few weeks - mobility, car rental or car sharing might be a more flexible, economical solution, especially if you live in the city center and have to worry about things like parking. 

If you're only going to be studying for less than a year in Switzerland it might not be worth the hassle of buying a used car and then having to sell it again.  

Important to know is what you intend to do with the car - if you plan on commuting every day to save time or convenience and it's a long distance, it may work out best to own a car, especially if your commute isn't served well by public transport.  

If you're just interested in taking the odd weekend trip every few weeks - mobility, car rental or car sharing might be a more flexible, economical solution, especially if you live in the city center and have to worry about things like parking. 

If you're only going to be studying for less than a year in Switzerland it might not be worth the hassle of buying a used car and then having to sell it again.  

Matt Williams, Aug 30, 2015 @ 17:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1647 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form