Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Crossing the river in the morning

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Crossing the river in the morning

Dear All,

Could you please advise about crossing the river/lake in rush hours? Some are saying that the public transportation system is always very efficient, others - that it is a mess in the mornings.

I am looking for accomodation and somehow most nice options are on the other side of the river/lake. Does anyone have experience with this? Are trams/buses indeed very crowded?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Lyazzat
The text you are quoting:

Dear All,

Could you please advise about crossing the river/lake in rush hours? Some are saying that the public transportation system is always very efficient, others - that it is a mess in the mornings.

I am looking for accomodation and somehow most nice options are on the other side of the river/lake. Does anyone have experience with this? Are trams/buses indeed very crowded?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Lyazzat
Lyazzat TFeb 2, 2017 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1033 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Crossing the river in the morning
Post 1

They're crowded but it depends on where you get on (your initial stop). If it's after Rive/Bel Air yes you will almost always have to stand.

They're crowded but it depends on where you get on (your initial stop). If it's after Rive/Bel Air yes you will almost always have to stand.

CH K, Feb 2, 2017 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

There’s an acute shortage of moderately priced housing in Geneva, so your priority is to find a place you like in an area that provides the amenities you need at a price you can afford.

For anyone with reasonable health and mobility, the fact that you may have a short crowded commute twice a day is way down on most people’s list of priorities. 

In any event, TPG transportation is, overall, both punctual and good value for money.

Beggars in the local housing market can’t be choosers.

There’s an acute shortage of moderately priced housing in Geneva, so your priority is to find a place you like in an area that provides the amenities you need at a price you can afford.

For anyone with reasonable health and mobility, the fact that you may have a short crowded commute twice a day is way down on most people’s list of priorities. 

In any event, TPG transportation is, overall, both punctual and good value for money.

Beggars in the local housing market can’t be choosers.

Ritchie, Feb 2, 2017 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I also do not consider using public transportation a big issue, usually during the peak hours all the buses and trams are quite frequent. On the other hand, I have heard a lot of people who drive their own cars complain about crossing the Mont-Blanc bridge, as usually there is a lot of traffic jams there.

I also do not consider using public transportation a big issue, usually during the peak hours all the buses and trams are quite frequent. On the other hand, I have heard a lot of people who drive their own cars complain about crossing the Mont-Blanc bridge, as usually there is a lot of traffic jams there.

Malika I, Feb 24, 2017 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

There's only 1 major bridge "mont Blanc bridge linking the left and right part of Geneva. There are 2 other bridges (Coulouvronières and Pont Butin) but they suppose a big détour. This canton is hesitating more than 40 years about building an additional bridge/tunnel to drive traffic between the 2 sides of this town. Unfortunately this project was refused and definitely buried in the last votations, after 3 attempts. I guess if there were americans here in the goverment, this link would have been built for ages now, and it would the most profitable income source  assuming a 2 or 3 Francs fees for every vehicle crossing the lake.

Anyway, the solution is to avoid crossing Mont-blanc Bridge between 7H15 AM till 9HAM and back from 16H30 till 18H00. It's a nightmare if you are driving your car.
Othe solutions, take a moto/scooter if you could do that which is the fastest way. Depending of your trajectory (assuming short distances) you could take your bike (not very pratical when it is too cold or heavy rains).

If you plan to take the public transport, they are crowded during the rush hours, but they are too frequent in Geneva . I will advice you to take a TPG monthly subscription if you plan to take buses and trams every working-day

There's only 1 major bridge "mont Blanc bridge linking the left and right part of Geneva. There are 2 other bridges (Coulouvronières and Pont Butin) but they suppose a big détour. This canton is hesitating more than 40 years about building an additional bridge/tunnel to drive traffic between the 2 sides of this town. Unfortunately this project was refused and definitely buried in the last votations, after 3 attempts. I guess if there were americans here in the goverment, this link would have been built for ages now, and it would the most profitable income source  assuming a 2 or 3 Francs fees for every vehicle crossing the lake.

Anyway, the solution is to avoid crossing Mont-blanc Bridge between 7H15 AM till 9HAM and back from 16H30 till 18H00. It's a nightmare if you are driving your car.
Othe solutions, take a moto/scooter if you could do that which is the fastest way. Depending of your trajectory (assuming short distances) you could take your bike (not very pratical when it is too cold or heavy rains).

If you plan to take the public transport, they are crowded during the rush hours, but they are too frequent in Geneva . I will advice you to take a TPG monthly subscription if you plan to take buses and trams every working-day

chippenguy, Feb 25, 2017 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Get a bike :-) it works for me to cross the bridge. No traffic and you can use it most of the year except maybe 2-3 really rainy or slippery days.

Get a bike :-) it works for me to cross the bridge. No traffic and you can use it most of the year except maybe 2-3 really rainy or slippery days.

Olga K, Feb 25, 2017 @ 15:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1033 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form