Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Does anyone have recent experience activating their phone line?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Does anyone have recent experience activating their phone line?

Hi all,

I am new to Geneva and yesterday I opted for Swisscom internet/tv. They contacted me today to get information about the previous tenant, but I told them the previous tenant didn't use the landline or internet. So, the Swisscom agent said I need to get an electrician to activate the phone line.

Has anyone had this done recently and how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance,

Laura

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

I am new to Geneva and yesterday I opted for Swisscom internet/tv. They contacted me today to get information about the previous tenant, but I told them the previous tenant didn't use the landline or internet. So, the Swisscom agent said I need to get an electrician to activate the phone line.

Has anyone had this done recently and how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance,

Laura

Laura NAug 11, 2017 @ 17:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 223 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Does anyone have recent experience activating their phone line?
Post 1

Best is take UPC cablecom. It's cost efficient. Take only chf 71 unlimited internet. Secondly their agent will visit your place and charge chf 100.

Sid,

Geneva

Best is take UPC cablecom. It's cost efficient. Take only chf 71 unlimited internet. Secondly their agent will visit your place and charge chf 100.

Sid,

Geneva

Sam D, Aug 11, 2017 @ 22:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Best not take cable. Unless you have several hundred a year to burn.

Best not take cable. Unless you have several hundred a year to burn.

Olga K, Aug 11, 2017 @ 23:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

It's not that recent but it is probably still a valid suggestion.

When I moved to my present flat I hadto put in a swisscom line and was told  I had also to contact an electrician to do the same thing.

I asked Swisscom for advice wrhen they told me this and they suggested I should ring a minimum of 3 electricians in my area and choose the cheapest one.

The whole thing is done quite quickly maybe half an hour and he will have to go down into the basement of your building to connect the line. 

I did this and found a local electrican who came and did it for a very reasonable price.

He was very obliging, much cheaper than one of the others and a little cheaper than other other one

It's not that recent but it is probably still a valid suggestion.

When I moved to my present flat I hadto put in a swisscom line and was told  I had also to contact an electrician to do the same thing.

I asked Swisscom for advice wrhen they told me this and they suggested I should ring a minimum of 3 electricians in my area and choose the cheapest one.

The whole thing is done quite quickly maybe half an hour and he will have to go down into the basement of your building to connect the line. 

I did this and found a local electrican who came and did it for a very reasonable price.

He was very obliging, much cheaper than one of the others and a little cheaper than other other one

TogJay, Aug 12, 2017 @ 10:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

.. sorry about the typos .. edit button function would be useful..??

.. sorry about the typos .. edit button function would be useful..??

TogJay, Aug 12, 2017 @ 10:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

ah just thought. The above was for installing an anaogue telephone line only several years ago

If you are needing fibre optic It may take a bit longer than half an hour.

Depends if building equipped already and to which floor. Possiby the building already eqipped if The electrician will have to install the fibre optic up to the floor you live on  ifit is not there already and then to your flat where he will also install the new electrial socket for fibre optique.

Once the fibre, then the sockets are installed, they leave a kit with you and you do the final connecting up and activation yourself.  

When I had it done here - it was obligatory by Swisscom to install fibre optic for me this year, on my existing  analogue line - it took about 21/2 -3 hrs.. but it was not yet installed up to the floor I am on, when I had it done, in February.

It was free to install the fibre optique as  I had to start a new contract.

Swisscom had  contracted someone to install it in the building which was not equipped for fibre optic before the end of last year. 

I would contact Swisscom about whether it would them that would pay for the line. Then you will know if you want to look for one like I suggested above, or simply just necessary to find an electriian locally that they recommend/ approve.

ah just thought. The above was for installing an anaogue telephone line only several years ago

If you are needing fibre optic It may take a bit longer than half an hour.

Depends if building equipped already and to which floor. Possiby the building already eqipped if The electrician will have to install the fibre optic up to the floor you live on  ifit is not there already and then to your flat where he will also install the new electrial socket for fibre optique.

Once the fibre, then the sockets are installed, they leave a kit with you and you do the final connecting up and activation yourself.  

When I had it done here - it was obligatory by Swisscom to install fibre optic for me this year, on my existing  analogue line - it took about 21/2 -3 hrs.. but it was not yet installed up to the floor I am on, when I had it done, in February.

It was free to install the fibre optique as  I had to start a new contract.

Swisscom had  contracted someone to install it in the building which was not equipped for fibre optic before the end of last year. 

I would contact Swisscom about whether it would them that would pay for the line. Then you will know if you want to look for one like I suggested above, or simply just necessary to find an electriian locally that they recommend/ approve.

TogJay, Aug 12, 2017 @ 14:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks very much for the information. There is a line set up in the apartment, but as the previous tenant didn't use the phone line they said the line is inactive and recommended I get an electrician to reactivate it. They said it would take 5 mins. I've never had to do this before...maybe it was just luck. If you have any recommendations for electricians, that would be great. Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the information. There is a line set up in the apartment, but as the previous tenant didn't use the phone line they said the line is inactive and recommended I get an electrician to reactivate it. They said it would take 5 mins. I've never had to do this before...maybe it was just luck. If you have any recommendations for electricians, that would be great. Thanks again.

Laura N, Aug 12, 2017 @ 21:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Well depends on where you live, best to find one in your commune. You stand a chance of there not being a  displacement fee if you are paying.

I can't remember the name of the guy that came for me at the moment. it was 6 years ago and I haven't needed him since. I can let you  know if the name comes back to me but if you are in  different commune or over the otherside of Geneva  an electrician in another commumne wlll probably charge displacement , dont know how much they ask for that.. 

There is also the matter if you are wanting an English speaking person. In that case try the cheapest of 3 that you find on here or ask if the local electrician  or ask the local electricians if they speak English.

Mine was the cheapest I found of the 3 local ones I called, was local Geneva French speaking and  turned out to apparently  live very close so he didn't charge a displacement fee

Well depends on where you live, best to find one in your commune. You stand a chance of there not being a  displacement fee if you are paying.

I can't remember the name of the guy that came for me at the moment. it was 6 years ago and I haven't needed him since. I can let you  know if the name comes back to me but if you are in  different commune or over the otherside of Geneva  an electrician in another commumne wlll probably charge displacement , dont know how much they ask for that.. 

There is also the matter if you are wanting an English speaking person. In that case try the cheapest of 3 that you find on here or ask if the local electrician  or ask the local electricians if they speak English.

Mine was the cheapest I found of the 3 local ones I called, was local Geneva French speaking and  turned out to apparently  live very close so he didn't charge a displacement fee

TogJay, Aug 12, 2017 @ 21:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Why not check out the “Professional sercices” ads in the Classifieds, to find one or more local English-speaking electricians?  They may well be able to do whatever’s necessary or suggest a colleague who can.  Failing that, you can always insert your own ad. and that should bring results.  Don’t forget though that this is still the holiday season so lots of family men will be out of town right now.

Hope this helps a little, R.

Why not check out the “Professional sercices” ads in the Classifieds, to find one or more local English-speaking electricians?  They may well be able to do whatever’s necessary or suggest a colleague who can.  Failing that, you can always insert your own ad. and that should bring results.  Don’t forget though that this is still the holiday season so lots of family men will be out of town right now.

Hope this helps a little, R.

Ritchie, Aug 12, 2017 @ 21:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

(continued) That was for just activating the line when I moved in.

(continued) That was for just activating the line when I moved in.

TogJay, Aug 12, 2017 @ 21:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 223 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form