Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Dog rules! Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Dog rules! Geneva

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to Geneva and am looking to get a dog.

I read somewhere that the rules on getting a dog have been relaxed (i.e you no longer need to take a theory and practical).  

Can anyone confirm this is the case in Geneva? or are there specific rules for this canton?

Cheers

The text you are quoting:

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to Geneva and am looking to get a dog.

I read somewhere that the rules on getting a dog have been relaxed (i.e you no longer need to take a theory and practical).  

Can anyone confirm this is the case in Geneva? or are there specific rules for this canton?

Cheers

Sean PSep 7, 2017 @ 11:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1124 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Dog rules! Geneva
Post 1

http://www.sgpa.ch/lois-chiens/

"Depuis le premier janvier 2017, l’obligation pour les détenteurs de chiens de suivre des cours théorique et ou pratique est abrogée."

Geneva's rules are quite strict. Contact the SGPA if you want detailed information

http://www.sgpa.ch/lois-chiens/

"Depuis le premier janvier 2017, l’obligation pour les détenteurs de chiens de suivre des cours théorique et ou pratique est abrogée."

Geneva's rules are quite strict. Contact the SGPA if you want detailed information

JR M, Sep 7, 2017 @ 12:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Sean,

I moved to Geneva to join my husband last month and we recently got a dog from the SGPA. We had been mentally preparing for all the strict and long processes we had been told to expect when attempting to adopt a dog but we were actually able to walk out with our dog, Paulo, on the same day on a trial basis. We were very shocked!! No requirements to do the training or anything like that and no visit to our apartment to check anything out just asked us a bunch of questions at the centre and if your french is like ours, weak!, you will want to take a friend along to translate! We haven't yet gone back to do the official adoption forms for a number of circumstances getting in the way but will be doing so next weekend and don't envisage any problems at all as Paulo is very much part of our family now.

There is also a really useful document for dog owners I can forward on to you where they show all the places dogs are and aren't allowed in public spaces and where they have to be on leash etc. 

The very best of luck to you and any further questions on our experience don't hesitate to ask! 

Hi Sean,

I moved to Geneva to join my husband last month and we recently got a dog from the SGPA. We had been mentally preparing for all the strict and long processes we had been told to expect when attempting to adopt a dog but we were actually able to walk out with our dog, Paulo, on the same day on a trial basis. We were very shocked!! No requirements to do the training or anything like that and no visit to our apartment to check anything out just asked us a bunch of questions at the centre and if your french is like ours, weak!, you will want to take a friend along to translate! We haven't yet gone back to do the official adoption forms for a number of circumstances getting in the way but will be doing so next weekend and don't envisage any problems at all as Paulo is very much part of our family now.

There is also a really useful document for dog owners I can forward on to you where they show all the places dogs are and aren't allowed in public spaces and where they have to be on leash etc. 

The very best of luck to you and any further questions on our experience don't hesitate to ask! 

Andrea Ogbonna-James, Sep 7, 2017 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks for advice all

Thanks for advice all

Sean P, Sep 7, 2017 @ 21:17