Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Flying within Europe with a carte de légitimation, but no passport?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Flying within Europe with a carte de légitimation, but no passport?

Hi glocals members,

Has there been any case where non-EU nationals with a carte de légitimation are allowed to fly within the Schengen area?

I'm a non-EU citizen, UN staff member and holder of a "D"-type carte de légitimation. I'm currently in Budapest for a holiday and expecting to fly back to Geneva on Tuesday, but I just realised I have left my passport at my home in Switzerland.

Is there any chance that I will be allowed to fly, on the count that I will be admitted to the country with my carte de légitimation?

It's quite urgent so advices will be really appreciated. Thank you!

Michael

The text you are quoting:

Hi glocals members,

Has there been any case where non-EU nationals with a carte de légitimation are allowed to fly within the Schengen area?

I'm a non-EU citizen, UN staff member and holder of a "D"-type carte de légitimation. I'm currently in Budapest for a holiday and expecting to fly back to Geneva on Tuesday, but I just realised I have left my passport at my home in Switzerland.

Is there any chance that I will be allowed to fly, on the count that I will be admitted to the country with my carte de légitimation?

Michael

Michael NApr 9, 2017 @ 13:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1583 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Flying within Europe with a carte de légitimation, but no passport?
Post 1

How did you leave CH and then enter Hungary without a passport?

R.

R.

Ritchie, Apr 9, 2017 @ 14:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi glocals members,

Michael

Apr 9, 17 13:58

Not a smart move...

In Budapest they ask for your passport or identity card at the check in, and also when boarding. You are obliged to carry your official document on you even. The free movememt does not mean that you can just go without your documents...unless you pretend to be a refugee...

Not a smart move...

In Budapest they ask for your passport or identity card at the check in, and also when boarding. You are obliged to carry your official document on you even. The free movememt does not mean that you can just go without your documents...unless you pretend to be a refugee...

Reka Y, Apr 9, 2017 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Anyhow you dont have an option. Try with the carte de legitimation. 

Reka Y, Apr 9, 2017 @ 14:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

R.

Apr 9, 17 14:27

Hi Ritchie,

Thanks for the question. I travelled to Budapest by coach. The guards at the Austrian border were fine with my CdL, but reminded me to travel with my passport next time (that was when I realised I did not have it with me)

M.

Hi Ritchie,

Thanks for the question. I travelled to Budapest by coach. The guards at the Austrian border were fine with my CdL, but reminded me to travel with my passport next time (that was when I realised I did not have it with me)

M.

Michael N, Apr 12, 2017 @ 18:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Apr 9, 17 14:41

Thanks Reka for your comments. I've since come back to Geneva without anyone asking a question. I checked in online and had no security personnel request to see my papers throughout the journey (including in Geneva at the airport)

Regardless, I'll be careful to bring my passport with me next time. Thanks all for your consideration!

M.

Thanks Reka for your comments. I've since come back to Geneva without anyone asking a question. I checked in online and had no security personnel request to see my papers throughout the journey (including in Geneva at the airport)

Regardless, I'll be careful to bring my passport with me next time. Thanks all for your consideration!

M.

Michael N, Apr 12, 2017 @ 18:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

M.

Apr 12, 17 18:30

I guess your experience goes to show how easy it is for certain dubious characters to flit in and out of various countries and continents.

Anyway, you appear to be making a good resolution not to travel without documentation in future.  One other suggestion is always to have a photocopy of your passport and/or other ID on you wherever you go.  You may not always be so lucky another time.

Best, R.

I guess your experience goes to show how easy it is for certain dubious characters to flit in and out of various countries and continents.

Anyway, you appear to be making a good resolution not to travel without documentation in future.  One other suggestion is always to have a photocopy of your passport and/or other ID on you wherever you go.  You may not always be so lucky another time.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Apr 12, 2017 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1583 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form