Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > French language learning

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
French language learning

hello, just moved to Geneva. can anyone suggest me the best ways to learn French? (Without doing a big hole in the pocket)

The text you are quoting:

hello, just moved to Geneva. can anyone suggest me the best ways to learn French? (Without doing a big hole in the pocket)

Nikunj JainMay 29, 2016 @ 09:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1225 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: French language learning
Post 1

Hello I have been trying to learn french for a while now. I do take lessons but what I do outside my lessons is what makes things go faster. I have an app on my phone called duolingo. This is very effective and quite fun as well. I would also suggest joining some conversation events that are organised through glocals and facebook. At the beginning even just to practice listening. I have been studying more with books because I am a bit nervous about going to the meetings and this has greatly affected my speaking so I'm trying to overcome that now so I can improve with conversation. 

there are also free french classes available for beginners and intermediate levels I'm not sure what they're like though. Hope this helps. 

Hello I have been trying to learn french for a while now. I do take lessons but what I do outside my lessons is what makes things go faster. I have an app on my phone called duolingo. This is very effective and quite fun as well. I would also suggest joining some conversation events that are organised through glocals and facebook. At the beginning even just to practice listening. I have been studying more with books because I am a bit nervous about going to the meetings and this has greatly affected my speaking so I'm trying to overcome that now so I can improve with conversation. 

there are also free french classes available for beginners and intermediate levels I'm not sure what they're like though. Hope this helps. 

Emily W, May 29, 2016 @ 16:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

May 29, 16 09:47

The Université populaire de Genève organizes French courses for all levels for a very reasonable price.  However, it is now the end of the school year so their classes will start up again in September.  But check their website for the sign-up date because the UPG courses fill up very quickly and are often over-subscribed.

Another option is the “Ecole Migros” which offers a variety of classes though fewer during the summer oliday season.

Meanwhile, you could advertise for a French-English oral tandem to get you started.

Best wishes, R.

The Université populaire de Genève organizes French courses for all levels for a very reasonable price.  However, it is now the end of the school year so their classes will start up again in September.  But check their website for the sign-up date because the UPG courses fill up very quickly and are often over-subscribed.

Another option is the “Ecole Migros” which offers a variety of classes though fewer during the summer oliday season.

Meanwhile, you could advertise for a French-English oral tandem to get you started.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, May 29, 2016 @ 17:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you Ritchie and Emily!

I chcecked and could not find any options on Ecole Migors either. Probably all clases are closed in summer season.

I chcecked and could not find any options on Ecole Migors either. Probably all clases are closed in summer season.

Nikunj Jain, May 29, 2016 @ 18:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

sorry my last message didn't make much sense. 

I already have lessons but I just started the tandem which I find really helpful. 

It's a good way to meet people as well. 

sorry my last message didn't make much sense. 

I already have lessons but I just started the tandem which I find really helpful. 

It's a good way to meet people as well. 

Emily W, May 29, 2016 @ 18:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

May 29, 16 18:05

I would be very surprised to hear that Migros is not running any summer classes.  They are very business-minded.

Why don’t you phone Ecole Migros on Monday?  The receptionist will surely speak enough English to give you some guidance.

I would be very surprised to hear that Migros is not running any summer classes.  They are very business-minded.

Why don’t you phone Ecole Migros on Monday?  The receptionist will surely speak enough English to give you some guidance.

Ritchie, May 29, 2016 @ 19:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hello!

Emily or Ritchie, ay you know someone who is available to give french private lessons at an affordable price?

Or do you know how to contact the tandem community?

Thanks in advance,

Alessandra

Hello!

Emily or Ritchie, ay you know someone who is available to give french private lessons at an affordable price?

Thanks in advance,

Alessandra

alessandra fumagalli, Jun 15, 2016 @ 09:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hello!

Thanks in advance,

Alessandra

Jun 15, 16 09:14

To find a tandem partner, I suggest that you start a new thread of your own with details of your motivation, availability, i.e., venue, days and timings, and what you can offer in exchange.  That will bring in plenty of response.

Also, check the Classifieds where you will find offers by qualified and experience d teachers in and around Geneva.

As to whether the cost is “affordable” will be up to you, but all labourers (including language teachers) are worthy of their hire.

And whatever you decide, just make sure you choose a true francophone.

Best wishes, R.

To find a tandem partner, I suggest that you start a new thread of your own with details of your motivation, availability, i.e., venue, days and timings, and what you can offer in exchange.  That will bring in plenty of response.

Also, check the Classifieds where you will find offers by qualified and experience d teachers in and around Geneva.

As to whether the cost is “affordable” will be up to you, but all labourers (including language teachers) are worthy of their hire.

And whatever you decide, just make sure you choose a true francophone.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Jun 15, 2016 @ 12:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Nikunj and Alessandra,

In case you haven't yet found any French lessons, I can offer my services.

I am a fully qualified, experienced languages teacher and can give you tailor-made lessons. I have a Master of Arts degree in French and German and a PGDE (Professional Graduate Diploma in Education) in these languages, as well as six years teaching experience. I have most recently taught at George Heriot’s School, one of Edinburgh’s leading independent schools and the ‘Institut Florimont’ here in Geneva.

I am based in Nyon but can travel to surrounding areas between Geneva and Lausanne. Alternatively, I am happy to hold lessons at my apartment if you prefer. My rates are between 60 and 100 CHF, depending on whether you would like individual or group lessons and how far I am travelling.  

Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested and we can discuss your individual needs, assess your level and take it from there.

Kind regards,

Cliona

Hi Nikunj and Alessandra,

In case you haven't yet found any French lessons, I can offer my services.

I am a fully qualified, experienced languages teacher and can give you tailor-made lessons. I have a Master of Arts degree in French and German and a PGDE (Professional Graduate Diploma in Education) in these languages, as well as six years teaching experience. I have most recently taught at George Heriot’s School, one of Edinburgh’s leading independent schools and the ‘Institut Florimont’ here in Geneva.

I am based in Nyon but can travel to surrounding areas between Geneva and Lausanne. Alternatively, I am happy to hold lessons at my apartment if you prefer. My rates are between 60 and 100 CHF, depending on whether you would like individual or group lessons and how far I am travelling.  

Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested and we can discuss your individual needs, assess your level and take it from there.

Kind regards,

Cliona

Cliona Gatenby, Jul 27, 2016 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1225 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form