Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Halloween for kids in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Halloween for kids in Geneva

HEEELP!   My 3 year old have been saying that he is soooo excited to go trick or treating (thanks to youtube).  Does anyone know if there is any place in Geneva that has trick or treating in Halloween? I have been surfing the net all night but all I can find are adult parties.  

The text you are quoting:

HEEELP!   My 3 year old have been saying that he is soooo excited to go trick or treating (thanks to youtube).  Does anyone know if there is any place in Geneva that has trick or treating in Halloween? I have been surfing the net all night but all I can find are adult parties.  

Francedith BOct 14, 2014 @ 23:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

31 Replies | 3633 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Halloween for kids in Geneva
Post 1

Excellent question, my kid (6) also wants to go trick-or-treating, but I don't know if that's even acceptd in Geneva...any ideas?

Excellent question, my kid (6) also wants to go trick-or-treating, but I don't know if that's even acceptd in Geneva...any ideas?

Nir Ofek, Oct 15, 2014 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Nir,

Unfortunately, I still haven't found any locations.  I am now considering buying candy and distributing them to my neighbors in the building for them to give to my son.  I wish I know enough expats who practice this halloween activity so maybe we can get together to bring some halloween spirit to the kids.  If you have any ideas please let me know. 

Hi Nir,

Unfortunately, I still haven't found any locations.  I am now considering buying candy and distributing them to my neighbors in the building for them to give to my son.  I wish I know enough expats who practice this halloween activity so maybe we can get together to bring some halloween spirit to the kids.  If you have any ideas please let me know. 

Francedith B, Oct 17, 2014 @ 23:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I hear you. I might resort to doing the same. 

I just emailed all my parent friends with the same question, will update you if there's any good news

I hear you. I might resort to doing the same. 

I just emailed all my parent friends with the same question, will update you if there's any good news

Nir Ofek, Oct 17, 2014 @ 23:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

In my appartment block, most of the kids dress up, meet downstairs first and come around in a group, pooling their treats and then sharing at the end. The older kids take care of the younger ones (and the sweets)  there is normally a mother present to keep things under  control. 

Ask any neighbour who has children if their kids would like to dress up and join you, or your concierge will know if there's Halloween in your building, if you live in an appartment block.   

In my appartment block, most of the kids dress up, meet downstairs first and come around in a group, pooling their treats and then sharing at the end. The older kids take care of the younger ones (and the sweets)  there is normally a mother present to keep things under  control. 

Ask any neighbour who has children if their kids would like to dress up and join you, or your concierge will know if there's Halloween in your building, if you live in an appartment block.   

Shirley T, Oct 19, 2014 @ 17:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Oct 19, 14 17:47

I wonder if trick-or-tricking is more acceptable in neighborhoods with lots of expats / Americans, cos I think some of my neighbors wouldn't even know what's up if a kid came knocking on heir door at Halloween...(-;

Shirley: is that the case in your building block, that there are lots of Americans?

I wonder if trick-or-tricking is more acceptable in neighborhoods with lots of expats / Americans, cos I think some of my neighbors wouldn't even know what's up if a kid came knocking on heir door at Halloween...(-;

Shirley: is that the case in your building block, that there are lots of Americans?

Nir Ofek, Oct 19, 2014 @ 20:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Oct 19, 14 20:41

No, it's multinational, i'm the only anglophone in fact

No, it's multinational, i'm the only anglophone in fact
Shirley T, Oct 19, 2014 @ 21:47

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I have been the only anglophone in my building for years and I’m pretty sure that none of my neighbours know anything of the Hallow’een traditions.  What’s more, they won’t want kids ringing at their door – the concièrge certainly won’t.

One of the sad but true reasons is that many break-ins are now carried out by young teenagers so that’s another reason why children in disguise risk being given short shrift these days.

But of course, it does depend a lot on where you live and whether it’s a family-oriented area.

R.

I have been the only anglophone in my building for years and I’m pretty sure that none of my neighbours know anything of the Hallow’een traditions.  What’s more, they won’t want kids ringing at their door – the concièrge certainly won’t.

One of the sad but true reasons is that many break-ins are now carried out by young teenagers so that’s another reason why children in disguise risk being given short shrift these days.

But of course, it does depend a lot on where you live and whether it’s a family-oriented area.

R.

Ritchie, Oct 19, 2014 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Although it originally came from the europeans, Halloween has been an american tradition for a long time now. Let it stay like that and let it stay over there. We don't need it here. That's my opinion.I don't need a foreign tradition being pushed on me (and mainly out of commercial reasons). If kids start ringing my doorbell for Halloween, I'll drop an ice bucket on them!! (without donating money to als research...)

Halloween in the USA: good for them

Halloween in Europe: no thanks

Although it originally came from the europeans, Halloween has been an american tradition for a long time now. Let it stay like that and let it stay over there. We don't need it here. That's my opinion.I don't need a foreign tradition being pushed on me (and mainly out of commercial reasons). If kids start ringing my doorbell for Halloween, I'll drop an ice bucket on them!! (without donating money to als research...)

Halloween in the USA: good for them

Halloween in Europe: no thanks

Nick L, Oct 20, 2014 @ 09:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

HEEELP!   My 13 year old have been saying that he is soooo excited to try some drugs  (thanks to youtube).  Does anyone know if there is any place in Geneva where he can get some? I have been surfing the net all night but all I can't find any.

HEEELP!   My 15 year old have been saying that he is soooo excited to to go paint graffiti on public walls, buses and trams (thanks to youtube).  Does anyone know if there is any place in Geneva where he can buy spray paint? I have been surfing the net all night but all I can't find any.

HEEELP!   My 23 year old have been saying that he is soooo excited to go buy and shoot some guns  (thanks to youtube).  Does anyone know if there is any place in Geneva where he can get some? I have been surfing the net all night but all I can't find any.

HEEELP!   My 13 year old have been saying that he is soooo excited to try some drugs  (thanks to youtube).  Does anyone know if there is any place in Geneva where he can get some? I have been surfing the net all night but all I can't find any.

HEEELP!   My 15 year old have been saying that he is soooo excited to to go paint graffiti on public walls, buses and trams (thanks to youtube).  Does anyone know if there is any place in Geneva where he can buy spray paint? I have been surfing the net all night but all I can't find any.

HEEELP!   My 23 year old have been saying that he is soooo excited to go buy and shoot some guns  (thanks to youtube).  Does anyone know if there is any place in Geneva where he can get some? I have been surfing the net all night but all I can't find any.

JR M, Oct 20, 2014 @ 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

JR, Nick, 

What is wrong with you guys? If a kid trick-or-treats Nick, Nick throws water on him. For JR, trick-or-treating is similar to kids trying drugs / shooting guns. Guys, it's just kids doing harmless fun and enjoying a tradition, why be so hostile about it?

JR, Nick, 

What is wrong with you guys? If a kid trick-or-treats Nick, Nick throws water on him. For JR, trick-or-treating is similar to kids trying drugs / shooting guns. Guys, it's just kids doing harmless fun and enjoying a tradition, why be so hostile about it?

Nir Ofek, Oct 20, 2014 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Oct 14, 14 23:26

hi Francedith, this is not exactly an answer to your trick-or-treat question... but here is a link with information of halloween parties goping on in Geneva (and nearby) for kids. http://www.genevafamilydiaries.net/geneva-blog/halloween-switzerland/

Hope you have fun with your 3 year old, mine is 15 months old and I'm considering the event at the Hotel d'Anglaterre because I believe is the only party which takes place during the day. Although the one in Divonne seems pretty cool starting at 5pm.  

Ana

hi Francedith, this is not exactly an answer to your trick-or-treat question... but here is a link with information of halloween parties goping on in Geneva (and nearby) for kids. http://www.genevafamilydiaries.net/geneva-blog/halloween-switzerland/

Hope you have fun with your 3 year old, mine is 15 months old and I'm considering the event at the Hotel d'Anglaterre because I believe is the only party which takes place during the day. Although the one in Divonne seems pretty cool starting at 5pm.  

Ana

Ana_M, Oct 20, 2014 @ 14:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Ana: BIG thanks, some great stuff in there!

Ana: BIG thanks, some great stuff in there!

Nir Ofek, Oct 20, 2014 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi! 

I do child entertainer, face painting, games, decoration, snacks,... For kids parties. If you need something else here is my website: www.genevaparty.webs.com 

thanks! 

Patricia

Hi! 

I do child entertainer, face painting, games, decoration, snacks,... For kids parties. If you need something else here is my website: www.genevaparty.webs.com 

thanks! 

Patricia

Patricia Á, Oct 20, 2014 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Thanks for the positive responses.  For those who does not seem to remember being a child, your personal comments should be kept to yourselves. If you do not have to give negative comments.  It is not necessary.  We are all adults here, Right?

Thanks for the positive responses.  For those who does not seem to remember being a child, your personal comments should be kept to yourselves. If you do not have to give negative comments.  It is not necessary.  We are all adults here, Right?

Francedith B, Oct 20, 2014 @ 19:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hi! 

thanks! 

Patricia

Oct 20, 14 19:09

Thank you Patricia.  I will definitely think of you.  

Thank you Patricia.  I will definitely think of you.  

Francedith B, Oct 20, 2014 @ 19:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Oct 20, 14 19:24

glocals is an English-language site but many of its users are not Anglo-Saxons or even fluent English speakers.  Many have never lived in an English-speaking country, so for them Hallow’een plays no part in their childhood memories.

They see the costume displays in Migros, Coop et al. as just another sales gimmick that has been vigorously promoted in the past five years or so, and they are irritated when some  expats fuss that Hallow’een isn’t celebrated here in the way they happen to have known it in their native lands.

In my view, people are entitled to hold and to express their take on Hallow’een, albeit hopefully they will do so politely.  As expats we are guests in CH and Geneva has a magnificent “Escalade” celebration in December which gives youngsters the chance to dress up, parade in the streets and generally have a lot of fun.  All may take part, irrespective of race, creed or nationality.

So does Geneva really need an imported festivity such as Hallow’een which, in any case, isn’t universally celebrated anyway.  Moreover, not wanting to  celebrate Hallow’een doesn’t mean we are forgetting what it is to be a child.

glocals is an English-language site but many of its users are not Anglo-Saxons or even fluent English speakers.  Many have never lived in an English-speaking country, so for them Hallow’een plays no part in their childhood memories.

They see the costume displays in Migros, Coop et al. as just another sales gimmick that has been vigorously promoted in the past five years or so, and they are irritated when some  expats fuss that Hallow’een isn’t celebrated here in the way they happen to have known it in their native lands.

In my view, people are entitled to hold and to express their take on Hallow’een, albeit hopefully they will do so politely.  As expats we are guests in CH and Geneva has a magnificent “Escalade” celebration in December which gives youngsters the chance to dress up, parade in the streets and generally have a lot of fun.  All may take part, irrespective of race, creed or nationality.

So does Geneva really need an imported festivity such as Hallow’een which, in any case, isn’t universally celebrated anyway.  Moreover, not wanting to  celebrate Hallow’een doesn’t mean we are forgetting what it is to be a child.

Ritchie, Oct 20, 2014 @ 19:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Oct 20, 14 19:59

Ritchie, 

No prob at all with people not liking Halloween or not wanting to celebrate it. 

But surely comparing kids celebrating Halloween to kids taking drugs or using guns ain't in the same ball park as someone saying they don't like Halloween...

Ritchie, 

No prob at all with people not liking Halloween or not wanting to celebrate it. 

But surely comparing kids celebrating Halloween to kids taking drugs or using guns ain't in the same ball park as someone saying they don't like Halloween...

Nir Ofek, Oct 20, 2014 @ 21:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I am well aware that Halloween is not a common tradition in the world.  I posted for my own personal information.  For those who may share the same issue.  If you do not feel the same then that is fine.  I never intended or have the intention of pushing the idea down anyone's throat. 

I don't think that there is anything wrong with me wanting to incorporate a bit of home into my child's life in a foreign country.  If you don't understand that then I don't ask you to.  

I truly appreciate the positive and informative responses to my post.  Thank you.

I am well aware that Halloween is not a common tradition in the world.  I posted for my own personal information.  For those who may share the same issue.  If you do not feel the same then that is fine.  I never intended or have the intention of pushing the idea down anyone's throat. 

I don't think that there is anything wrong with me wanting to incorporate a bit of home into my child's life in a foreign country.  If you don't understand that then I don't ask you to.  

I truly appreciate the positive and informative responses to my post.  Thank you.

Francedith B, Oct 20, 2014 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Oct 20, 14 19:59

thank you Ritchie for expressing exactly the same thoughts in a much more subtle and gentle way as I seemed to do (although, having re-read my reply a few times,  I still don't find my reply unpolite or so). Anyway, I'm off to eat some pumpkin soup... which is a seasonal thing...

thank you Ritchie for expressing exactly the same thoughts in a much more subtle and gentle way as I seemed to do (although, having re-read my reply a few times,  I still don't find my reply unpolite or so). Anyway, I'm off to eat some pumpkin soup... which is a seasonal thing...

Nick L, Oct 22, 2014 @ 19:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

First, “thank you” to Nick for his kind words.

As to the “fun” of Hallow’een, it might be as well if we also remember that, for many people in western Europe, All Saints and All Souls are two of the most solemn days in the Christian calendar.  Even today, some people still regard All Hallowstide as a time for quiet reflection rather than a time for games and parties – a sentiment that was also brought home to me today when I asked a Migros contact how sales of Hallow’een gear were doing.  Seeningly not that well because “after all, Hallow’een is an Ameircan import”.  (No matter that it was originally taken to the US by Celtic immigrants!) .

All this to give, for what it’s worth,  some further explanation as to why the local reaction to  Hallow’een festivity may appear to be lukewarm.

That said, I hope everyone who wishes to observe the pagan custom of celebrating the end of Summer will have a happy time -- though why anyone should want to do that baffles me to say the least.

Yours aye, R.

First, “thank you” to Nick for his kind words.

As to the “fun” of Hallow’een, it might be as well if we also remember that, for many people in western Europe, All Saints and All Souls are two of the most solemn days in the Christian calendar.  Even today, some people still regard All Hallowstide as a time for quiet reflection rather than a time for games and parties – a sentiment that was also brought home to me today when I asked a Migros contact how sales of Hallow’een gear were doing.  Seeningly not that well because “after all, Hallow’een is an Ameircan import”.  (No matter that it was originally taken to the US by Celtic immigrants!) .

All this to give, for what it’s worth,  some further explanation as to why the local reaction to  Hallow’een festivity may appear to be lukewarm.

That said, I hope everyone who wishes to observe the pagan custom of celebrating the end of Summer will have a happy time -- though why anyone should want to do that baffles me to say the least.

Yours aye, R.

Ritchie, Oct 22, 2014 @ 23:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hi  linked to this topic I woudl like to share that a great place to rent kids and adults costume is Vet'shop , the second hand shop of the Red Cross at teh beginning fo Rue de Carouge in Plainpalais . In the basement they have hundreds of costumes that can be rented starting from very cheap prices.

Another way to procure costumes for kids is to go to the school TROC's the places where private people sell their kids clothes, toys , sport equipments and so on ...there you can buy kids' costumes for 5-10 CHF

I have foudn all these advice in a blog called  http://howtogeneva.blogspot.ch/ , although it looks like pretty basic , it's full of useful tips

I hoep it helps

Salvatore

Hi  linked to this topic I woudl like to share that a great place to rent kids and adults costume is Vet'shop , the second hand shop of the Red Cross at teh beginning fo Rue de Carouge in Plainpalais . In the basement they have hundreds of costumes that can be rented starting from very cheap prices.

Another way to procure costumes for kids is to go to the school TROC's the places where private people sell their kids clothes, toys , sport equipments and so on ...there you can buy kids' costumes for 5-10 CHF

I have foudn all these advice in a blog called  http://howtogeneva.blogspot.ch/ , although it looks like pretty basic , it's full of useful tips

I hoep it helps

Salvatore

salvatore i, Oct 23, 2014 @ 18:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

OK, so in case the question of Halloween for kids in Geneva comes up again next year, here's my experience from trick-or-treating in Geneva tonight, in Grand Saconnex, with a 7 years old kid:

1. There were quite a lot of costumed kids in the street. 

2. The main issue was getting into buildings, cos all of them have intercom doors. But once we got into the buildings:

- about 40% of people opened their door

- of those, nearly all knew the drill and happily gave candy to the kids

So bottom line, trick-or-treating works. 

Nir

OK, so in case the question of Halloween for kids in Geneva comes up again next year, here's my experience from trick-or-treating in Geneva tonight, in Grand Saconnex, with a 7 years old kid:

2. The main issue was getting into buildings, cos all of them have intercom doors. But once we got into the buildings:

Nir

Nir Ofek, Oct 31, 2014 @ 22:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Grand Sac. (also locally known as the international ghetto) isn’t  exactly typical of Geneva and its environs, but I’m glad you all had a lot of fun.

R.

Grand Sac. (also locally known as the international ghetto) isn’t  exactly typical of Geneva and its environs, but I’m glad you all had a lot of fun.

R.

Ritchie, Oct 31, 2014 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

R.

Oct 31, 14 22:40

Giving a compliment with one hand and a 'sarky comment with the other. Yes we get it, you don't like Halloween. There's really no need to be mean, Ritchie

Giving a compliment with one hand and a 'sarky comment with the other. Yes we get it, you don't like Halloween. There's really no need to be mean, Ritchie

Janet G, Nov 3, 2014 @ 15:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Oct 20, 14 10:00

All you and Nick L need is the "Jason" hockey mask. Sounds like you have the perfect attitude to scare children at Halloween :)

All you and Nick L need is the "Jason" hockey mask. Sounds like you have the perfect attitude to scare children at Halloween :)

Janet G, Nov 3, 2014 @ 15:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Nir

Oct 31, 14 22:23

Halloween went down well at Avenue de France too. I had about 20 kids visit, all living in my building. Big success and lots of happy children.Smile

Halloween went down well at Avenue de France too. I had about 20 kids visit, all living in my building. Big success and lots of happy children.Smile

Shirley T, Nov 3, 2014 @ 20:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Thank you again for the positive responses and encouragements.  My son had fun as well.  I asked some of my neighbors to help me make this little tradition possible for my son and they were more than happy to participate.  Thanks to them, my son was able to experience a bit of what I used to enjoy doing as a child.  They also enjoyed seeing my son in his iron man costume. So I guess not everyone hates halloween here in Geneva. Laughing

Thank you again for the positive responses and encouragements.  My son had fun as well.  I asked some of my neighbors to help me make this little tradition possible for my son and they were more than happy to participate.  Thanks to them, my son was able to experience a bit of what I used to enjoy doing as a child.  They also enjoyed seeing my son in his iron man costume. So I guess not everyone hates halloween here in Geneva. Laughing

Francedith B, Nov 3, 2014 @ 21:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Ana

Oct 20, 14 14:27

Hi Ana, 

Sorry I'm a bit late on my reply.  I didn't see your message until now.  Thank you.  

My son did enjoy himself and I loved the smile on his face as well as the smiles that he got from people as we walked around Plainpalais. 

I hope you were able to go the party and enjoyed yourselves.  

Hi Ana, 

Sorry I'm a bit late on my reply.  I didn't see your message until now.  Thank you.  

My son did enjoy himself and I loved the smile on his face as well as the smiles that he got from people as we walked around Plainpalais. 

I hope you were able to go the party and enjoyed yourselves.  

Francedith B, Nov 3, 2014 @ 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

I really like Halloween and wanted to head back to the U.S. for a proper American Halloween but ended up having to stay in Geneva for work.

It's fun seeing the various costumes and it can bring together neighbors. I'm really glad to see that they made it happen for the kids in Grand Saconnex and on Avenue de France.

Maybe with more organization we could give more kids and neighborhoods the opportunity to participate? Such as in designated buildings/streets or buildings marked with special Jack-O-Lantern signs?

Another option that some organizations, schools, and neighborhoods do in the U.S. is hold a "trunk or treat." Often this is in a large parking lot and people wear costumes and sometimes decorate the cars. Kids then can go from car to car to get candy. Some examples are here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/36-trunk-or-treat-themes-that-really-nailed-it 

I really like Halloween and wanted to head back to the U.S. for a proper American Halloween but ended up having to stay in Geneva for work.

It's fun seeing the various costumes and it can bring together neighbors. I'm really glad to see that they made it happen for the kids in Grand Saconnex and on Avenue de France.

Maybe with more organization we could give more kids and neighborhoods the opportunity to participate? Such as in designated buildings/streets or buildings marked with special Jack-O-Lantern signs?

Another option that some organizations, schools, and neighborhoods do in the U.S. is hold a "trunk or treat." Often this is in a large parking lot and people wear costumes and sometimes decorate the cars. Kids then can go from car to car to get candy. Some examples are here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/36-trunk-or-treat-themes-that-really-nailed-it 

Jason M, Nov 4, 2014 @ 09:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

I know Halloween is already passed but I just wanted to say that there is a similar tradition during Escalade in december when children dress up and go from door to door singing and getting candy. Apparently this has been a tradition for a very long time.

So maybe next year you can explain to your kid to just wait for a few weeks until Geneva has its most important celebration of the year! :-)

I know Halloween is already passed but I just wanted to say that there is a similar tradition during Escalade in december when children dress up and go from door to door singing and getting candy. Apparently this has been a tradition for a very long time.

So maybe next year you can explain to your kid to just wait for a few weeks until Geneva has its most important celebration of the year! :-)

eva77, Nov 8, 2014 @ 18:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Nov 8, 14 18:05

Eva: why tell him to wait, when I can tell him to Halloween in November AND to escalade in December...(-;

Eva: why tell him to wait, when I can tell him to Halloween in November AND to escalade in December...(-;

Nir Ofek, Nov 8, 2014 @ 18:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
31 Replies | 3633 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form