Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Jamie Oliver planning to open new Restaurant in Zürich

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Jamie Oliver planning to open new Restaurant in Zürich

Serious?? Do we really need another Italian Restaurant in  Zürich?? Cool

https://www.timeout.com/switzerland/news/jamie-oliver-planning-to-open-new-restaurant-in-zurich-032018

The text you are quoting:

https://www.timeout.com/switzerland/news/jamie-oliver-planning-to-open-new-restaurant-in-zurich-032018

SWISSMar 22, 2018 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1634 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Jamie Oliver planning to open new Restaurant in Zürich
Post 1

Mar 22, 18 12:51

Specially considering this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/16/not-so-fresh-why-jamie-oliver-restaurants-lost-their-bite

According to this article, he needs it to feed his ego:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jamie-oliver-barbacoa-restaurants-italian-fail-business-celebrity-chef-success-money-a8219551.html

I first ran across one of his restaurants at the airport in Nice, of all places. Empty tables, lousy food.  Did not know it was part of an empire.

Specially considering this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/16/not-so-fresh-why-jamie-oliver-restaurants-lost-their-bite

According to this article, he needs it to feed his ego:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jamie-oliver-barbacoa-restaurants-italian-fail-business-celebrity-chef-success-money-a8219551.html

I first ran across one of his restaurants at the airport in Nice, of all places. Empty tables, lousy food.  Did not know it was part of an empire.

JR M, Mar 22, 2018 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

The quality of his food served in his Italian chain is dependable on the Chef / Quality of produce- the Liverpool 1 branch was lovely - small portions- the one at Jumeira Beach Hotel , Dubai was of average quality , clearly not made by the chef himself .....tis no surprise when one expands internationally - consistency of quality and style is  a huge bar to meet! Great insight on Jamie Oliver's seemingly super empire!

The quality of his food served in his Italian chain is dependable on the Chef / Quality of produce- the Liverpool 1 branch was lovely - small portions- the one at Jumeira Beach Hotel , Dubai was of average quality , clearly not made by the chef himself .....tis no surprise when one expands internationally - consistency of quality and style is  a huge bar to meet! Great insight on Jamie Oliver's seemingly super empire!

Az Y, Mar 23, 2018 @ 14:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

What, are you kidding me !? It's J-a-m-i-e O-l-i-v-e-r, guys. Come on now. YEY ! say I and bring him on.

Welcome, Jamie !  

What, are you kidding me !? It's J-a-m-i-e O-l-i-v-e-r, guys. Come on now. YEY ! say I and bring him on.

Welcome, Jamie !  

Eva D, Mar 24, 2018 @ 12:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Welcome, Jamie !  

Mar 24, 18 12:06

I don’t think Jamie O. cuts much ice in these parts.

Some years ago, the Coop was promoting a range of frying pans and saucepans that J.O. had marketed.

Just out of curiosity, I had a good look at a few of the items but couldn’t see any justification for the considerably higher prices as compared to Coop’s own range (or the equivalent in the Migros).  After a few weeks when the goods seemed not to have sold to any extent, the display was dismantled and I’ve never seen anything similar since. 

Some years ago, the Coop was promoting a range of frying pans and saucepans that J.O. had marketed.

Just out of curiosity, I had a good look at a few of the items but couldn’t see any justification for the considerably higher prices as compared to Coop’s own range (or the equivalent in the Migros).  After a few weeks when the goods seemed not to have sold to any extent, the display was dismantled and I’ve never seen anything similar since. 

Ritchie, Mar 24, 2018 @ 21:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Mar 24, 18 21:10

Sorry, I should have said that I have never seen a similar J.O. promotion in the Geneva Coop since.

Sorry, I should have said that I have never seen a similar J.O. promotion in the Geneva Coop since.

Ritchie, Mar 24, 2018 @ 22:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Welcome, Jamie !  

Mar 24, 18 12:06

Well, I am willing to give it a second try, as I had never been to one of his restaurants before. It seems that I was not alone in having a negative experience at the one at the Nice airport:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4901142/Jamie-Oliver-s-restaurant-France-slated-diners.html

and those quoted seem to have had greater expectations based on their experience at other branches. I had a Caesar's salad, which by the way has nothing to do with Italy, and it was awful. I had no expectations, as I was not famiiiar with Jamie Oliver.

Well, I am willing to give it a second try, as I had never been to one of his restaurants before. It seems that I was not alone in having a negative experience at the one at the Nice airport:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4901142/Jamie-Oliver-s-restaurant-France-slated-diners.html

and those quoted seem to have had greater expectations based on their experience at other branches. I had a Caesar's salad, which by the way has nothing to do with Italy, and it was awful. I had no expectations, as I was not famiiiar with Jamie Oliver.

JR M, Mar 24, 2018 @ 23:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Well, you do learn something new every day, don't you? I had a great traditional English sunday lunch yesterday at the home of a british couple, friends of mine, in Annecy, with a great view of the lake and the mountains. Allan is an excellent cook, I should add. We were joined by two Italians and an Irish friend.  While eating, I mentioned Jamie Olivier and, sarcastically, asked the Italians if they have heard of him. Before I could say anything else, everybody started raving about him. In particular, about how he has done more than anyone to improve children's school lunches in Britain, encourage people to eat more healthily, his books, TV show, the great food at his restaurants (in England), etc, etc. All things considered, it made me feel petty for my reaction to a crappy Caesar's salad at his Nice airport restaurant (which I did not dare mention).

I think the problem might be that in his rush to expand the restaurant business side of his efforts, he has  licensed his brand, which gives him less control over what those restaurants serve.

I doubt Jamie Olivier will do anything to improve school lunches in Zurich and, sorry, but the food at the Nice airport restaurant was still terrible, but what I learned yesterday put things in a different light. It made me wonder how I became so cynical in my old age, judging people so quickly. Or maybe it was the influence of the company, the great setting, the wonderful Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, bacon wrapped baby green beans, baby carrots and 2015 Medoc.Smile

Well, you do learn something new every day, don't you? I had a great traditional English sunday lunch yesterday at the home of a british couple, friends of mine, in Annecy, with a great view of the lake and the mountains. Allan is an excellent cook, I should add. We were joined by two Italians and an Irish friend.  While eating, I mentioned Jamie Olivier and, sarcastically, asked the Italians if they have heard of him. Before I could say anything else, everybody started raving about him. In particular, about how he has done more than anyone to improve children's school lunches in Britain, encourage people to eat more healthily, his books, TV show, the great food at his restaurants (in England), etc, etc. All things considered, it made me feel petty for my reaction to a crappy Caesar's salad at his Nice airport restaurant (which I did not dare mention).

I think the problem might be that in his rush to expand the restaurant business side of his efforts, he has  licensed his brand, which gives him less control over what those restaurants serve.

I doubt Jamie Olivier will do anything to improve school lunches in Zurich and, sorry, but the food at the Nice airport restaurant was still terrible, but what I learned yesterday put things in a different light. It made me wonder how I became so cynical in my old age, judging people so quickly. Or maybe it was the influence of the company, the great setting, the wonderful Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, bacon wrapped baby green beans, baby carrots and 2015 Medoc.Smile

JR M, Mar 26, 2018 @ 12:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Interesting profile on Jamie Oliver

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/29/jamie-oliver-criticism-affect-me-childhood-obesity

Interesting profile on Jamie Oliver

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/29/jamie-oliver-criticism-affect-me-childhood-obesity

JR M, Apr 29, 2018 @ 19:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1634 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form