Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Latest Buy Club Offers – something's wrong, people.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Latest Buy Club Offers – something's wrong, people.

Verbier Ski Pass - 1929 bought @ CH49.50

Enis’s Make a Wish – 307 bought @ CHF10.00

I’m not passing judgement as I have bought 2 passes for Verbier myself, but isn’t there something “wrong with the maths” here?

The text you are quoting:

Verbier Ski Pass - 1929 bought @ CH49.50

Enis’s Make a Wish – 307 bought @ CHF10.00

I’m not passing judgement as I have bought 2 passes for Verbier myself, but isn’t there something “wrong with the maths” here?

Carolyn CDec 16, 2014 @ 15:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

25 Replies | 2055 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Latest Buy Club Offers – something's wrong, people.
Post 1

it's not realitic to expect a charity promo to get as much interest as a promo for one of the most popular ski resorts in the world. that's just human nature. 

still, i agree it's disappointing to see that only 300+ people so far supported the enis promo, when we know tens of thousands of glocals/buyclub people support other commerical offers.

one possible explanation is that most glocals/buyclub members are well off, and research shows that people with more money donate less to charity: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/04/why-the-rich-dont-give/309254/

or on a more positive note, maybe people already gave to other causes. 

it's not realitic to expect a charity promo to get as much interest as a promo for one of the most popular ski resorts in the world. that's just human nature. 

still, i agree it's disappointing to see that only 300+ people so far supported the enis promo, when we know tens of thousands of glocals/buyclub people support other commerical offers.

one possible explanation is that most glocals/buyclub members are well off, and research shows that people with more money donate less to charity: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/04/why-the-rich-dont-give/309254/

or on a more positive note, maybe people already gave to other causes. 

Mark Spencer, Dec 16, 2014 @ 16:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Mark - I agree that it's human nature to be more interested in a ski pass deal than helping sick kids - but that's what wrong with human nature becoming a more "selfie-obsessed-self-indulgent-self-centered" society.

I suspect the Buy Club offers, in general, are a huge hit because a lot of people on glocals AREN'T well off and can't resist a bargain.  

I've never been a member of a social group that has so many unemployed or struggling self-employed, people.

You only have to check out other forums for endless discussions about chomage.

I'd love to agree that "maybe people already gave to other causes" but sadly, I don't think this is the case Frown

Mark - I agree that it's human nature to be more interested in a ski pass deal than helping sick kids - but that's what wrong with human nature becoming a more "selfie-obsessed-self-indulgent-self-centered" society.

I suspect the Buy Club offers, in general, are a huge hit because a lot of people on glocals AREN'T well off and can't resist a bargain.  

I've never been a member of a social group that has so many unemployed or struggling self-employed, people.

You only have to check out other forums for endless discussions about chomage.

I'd love to agree that "maybe people already gave to other causes" but sadly, I don't think this is the case Frown

Carolyn C, Dec 16, 2014 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

This is a little harsh. To be fair, just because members haven't lined up for this cause (and I am not implying it is unworthy), doesn't mean they aren't giving elsewhere.

This is a little harsh. To be fair, just because members haven't lined up for this cause (and I am not implying it is unworthy), doesn't mean they aren't giving elsewhere.

no.38, Dec 17, 2014 @ 08:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I agree with no 38. I won't give even 1 CHF personally to an ad where they allege they will help a sick boy and where there won't be any accountability or any transparency in the process. You don't really know who gets the money and what they will really do with it (or a part of it). On the other hand, i help people that i know or that i encounter and this is different. A lot of ads like this one have proved to be a scam and people have been less gullible than before. This is the answer to your question. And i think that 307 buyers is a very good figure! They have collected in few days 3070 CHF which serves the purpose if they are gebuine about it....

I agree with no 38. I won't give even 1 CHF personally to an ad where they allege they will help a sick boy and where there won't be any accountability or any transparency in the process. You don't really know who gets the money and what they will really do with it (or a part of it). On the other hand, i help people that i know or that i encounter and this is different. A lot of ads like this one have proved to be a scam and people have been less gullible than before. This is the answer to your question. And i think that 307 buyers is a very good figure! They have collected in few days 3070 CHF which serves the purpose if they are gebuine about it....

Ally M, Dec 17, 2014 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Dec 17, 14 12:05

I don't think Nir or Glocals are going to be scamming anyone - really is this what you think ? I know that Carolyn in the past has been extremely generous in her giving and I beleive that she wouldn't make a mistake like that. Perhaps Nir, you could let Ally know the legitimacy of the collection for her [eace of mind  - and others to.

I don't think Nir or Glocals are going to be scamming anyone - really is this what you think ? I know that Carolyn in the past has been extremely generous in her giving and I beleive that she wouldn't make a mistake like that. Perhaps Nir, you could let Ally know the legitimacy of the collection for her [eace of mind  - and others to.

Jeffery S, Dec 17, 2014 @ 15:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Dec 17, 14 08:52

I agree, but (as far as the glocals community goes) the numbers state otherwise....

I agree, but (as far as the glocals community goes) the numbers state otherwise....

Carolyn C, Dec 17, 2014 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Dec 17, 14 15:43

Thank you Jeffrey.  

Firstly - I make a lot of mistakes, but never with money.

Secondly - it's rather insulting to Nir, who puts a lot of work into this very worthy cause, to call it an "ad" and a "scam"

Thirdly - if it were a scam, there's going to be a LOT of pissed off people going to Verbier next season.

If you wish to alleviate your ignorance or change your mind (both will be enlightening) - go here: http://www.makeawish.ch/

Thank you Jeffrey.  

Firstly - I make a lot of mistakes, but never with money.

Secondly - it's rather insulting to Nir, who puts a lot of work into this very worthy cause, to call it an "ad" and a "scam"

Thirdly - if it were a scam, there's going to be a LOT of pissed off people going to Verbier next season.

If you wish to alleviate your ignorance or change your mind (both will be enlightening) - go here: http://www.makeawish.ch/

Carolyn C, Dec 17, 2014 @ 15:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

As always Carolyn - right on the money !!(no pun intended)

As always Carolyn - right on the money !!(no pun intended)

Jeffery S, Dec 17, 2014 @ 18:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

First, Nir as always your help in organizing a Xmas charity via Buyclub is always great.

Second, for everyone who has or will make any donation of time and money for any charity or 'needy', whatever and whereever, that is a wonderful.

Third, 'Make A Wish Foundation' is definitly one of the best charities for Children with Very serious illnesses, etc. And if this was a scam, 10s of thousands of professionals and Celebrities would know and they would totally rim anyone that ruins such a worthy foundation.

Carolyn,

That is 307 donations and they start from CHF 10- to CHF 100- and you can buy up to 10 each of those increments. So the minimum support is CHF 3070- but I beleive the higher end is much more significant, since Nir has offered 2 Sindys Spring party passes for donations of CHF50- , and 4 Sindys Spring party passes for CHF 100- donations. I am confident many , maybe even you have, gond and offered the upper end. And Sindys normally cost like CHF 20- or CHF30?

As such, I donated and I/we need not to justify to you, dispite what others have said you are a good donator. However, I have personally donated CHF 19,180- to Make a wish foundation in the past. A friend of mine donated a valued 70,000 Harley Davidson for there auction, yeah friend is Michael Schumacher, who is very involved in Childrens and Youth charities. Make a Wish Foundation, changes lives of children.

My friend in the foundation is Fiona Morrison.

Sorry but its not anyones business to critizize any one if they Give or not.

First, Nir as always your help in organizing a Xmas charity via Buyclub is always great.

Second, for everyone who has or will make any donation of time and money for any charity or 'needy', whatever and whereever, that is a wonderful.

Third, 'Make A Wish Foundation' is definitly one of the best charities for Children with Very serious illnesses, etc. And if this was a scam, 10s of thousands of professionals and Celebrities would know and they would totally rim anyone that ruins such a worthy foundation.

Carolyn,

That is 307 donations and they start from CHF 10- to CHF 100- and you can buy up to 10 each of those increments. So the minimum support is CHF 3070- but I beleive the higher end is much more significant, since Nir has offered 2 Sindys Spring party passes for donations of CHF50- , and 4 Sindys Spring party passes for CHF 100- donations. I am confident many , maybe even you have, gond and offered the upper end. And Sindys normally cost like CHF 20- or CHF30?

As such, I donated and I/we need not to justify to you, dispite what others have said you are a good donator. However, I have personally donated CHF 19,180- to Make a wish foundation in the past. A friend of mine donated a valued 70,000 Harley Davidson for there auction, yeah friend is Michael Schumacher, who is very involved in Childrens and Youth charities. Make a Wish Foundation, changes lives of children.

My friend in the foundation is Fiona Morrison.

Sorry but its not anyones business to critizize any one if they Give or not.

Dave G, Dec 18, 2014 @ 00:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Dec 17, 14 12:05

Ally, 

When you spread stuff about the promo potentially not being legit, the least you can do is read the promo info before. If you'd take 2 minutes to read the Enis promo page before you doubt it, you'd see the promo is with Make-A-Wish (one of the world's most respected foundations), and you'd see the links to the previous promotions we ran with them, with personal accounts of both the child involved and the Director of Make-A-Wish (incl detailed money break down). 

When you start spreading info about the promo not being legit, without bothering to dig into the details, you're misleading others.  

Ally, 

When you spread stuff about the promo potentially not being legit, the least you can do is read the promo info before. If you'd take 2 minutes to read the Enis promo page before you doubt it, you'd see the promo is with Make-A-Wish (one of the world's most respected foundations), and you'd see the links to the previous promotions we ran with them, with personal accounts of both the child involved and the Director of Make-A-Wish (incl detailed money break down). 

When you start spreading info about the promo not being legit, without bothering to dig into the details, you're misleading others.  

Nir Ofek, Dec 18, 2014 @ 08:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

In the last few days I've seen the Verbier ski pass banner every time I use the site, maybe 10 times. I saw the charity banner only once, when I had to login. It's a lot less visible, because buy club is a commercial enterprise and need to prioritise.

Personally I use buy club to source cheap hair offers, nothing else. I support numerous other charities, but haven't thus far chosen to do so via a buy club contribution. Most people seem to give at least a little to charity, the decision about which to support is very personal though. 

In the last few days I've seen the Verbier ski pass banner every time I use the site, maybe 10 times. I saw the charity banner only once, when I had to login. It's a lot less visible, because buy club is a commercial enterprise and need to prioritise.

Personally I use buy club to source cheap hair offers, nothing else. I support numerous other charities, but haven't thus far chosen to do so via a buy club contribution. Most people seem to give at least a little to charity, the decision about which to support is very personal though. 

Amy Soska, Dec 18, 2014 @ 08:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Why don't we all be charitable and GIVE us a break? Winter is tough enough, money for skiing or not skiing. Lighten up, and spend your money how you choose since you worked hard for it.

Donate where and when you can. Some people give to beggars and buskers on the street, and that is no less admirable than someone who does it online.

Why don't we all be charitable and GIVE us a break? Winter is tough enough, money for skiing or not skiing. Lighten up, and spend your money how you choose since you worked hard for it.

Donate where and when you can. Some people give to beggars and buskers on the street, and that is no less admirable than someone who does it online.

Carrie O, Dec 18, 2014 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Before completely slaughtering Ally, I would just like to add that there are some organizations that people donate to which have to pay their employees.

So, indeed, part of charity is lost to pay for the work involved in collecting it.

Not everyone is in a position to work for free 40 or more hours a week. And not everyone likes knowing that of the money they donate to an organization, only a percentage actually trickles down to the person in need.

Without full knowledge of Make a Wish, I am just asking people to go easy on Ally, because she is right to a certain extent about certain organizations.

Before completely slaughtering Ally, I would just like to add that there are some organizations that people donate to which have to pay their employees.

So, indeed, part of charity is lost to pay for the work involved in collecting it.

Not everyone is in a position to work for free 40 or more hours a week. And not everyone likes knowing that of the money they donate to an organization, only a percentage actually trickles down to the person in need.

Without full knowledge of Make a Wish, I am just asking people to go easy on Ally, because she is right to a certain extent about certain organizations.

Carrie O, Dec 18, 2014 @ 12:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Dec 18, 14 12:41

No need to slaughter Ally, but also no need to turn her unfair conclusions into something they're not. Ally said the Enis charity campaign is "an ad where they allege they will help a sick boy and where there won't be any accountability or any transparency in the process. You don't really know who gets the money and what they will do with it". 

That's very different from the legitimnate point you raised, about what % of the money will go to covering the salaries of Make-A-Wish employees.

No need to slaughter Ally, but also no need to turn her unfair conclusions into something they're not. Ally said the Enis charity campaign is "an ad where they allege they will help a sick boy and where there won't be any accountability or any transparency in the process. You don't really know who gets the money and what they will do with it". 

That's very different from the legitimnate point you raised, about what % of the money will go to covering the salaries of Make-A-Wish employees.

Nir Ofek, Dec 18, 2014 @ 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Let's face it, many of us have good intentions, but are limited in the way we express them. Still further, some people search nonstop to criticize others or create arguments.

I hope that awareness has been raised and the main point for everyone reading is that this is the season for giving...like every other day of the year!

Whether you give to a Make a Wish child or someone in your family, or to whomever, it is your choice.

Let's face it, many of us have good intentions, but are limited in the way we express them. Still further, some people search nonstop to criticize others or create arguments.

I hope that awareness has been raised and the main point for everyone reading is that this is the season for giving...like every other day of the year!

Whether you give to a Make a Wish child or someone in your family, or to whomever, it is your choice.

Carrie O, Dec 18, 2014 @ 13:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Nir, I was not talking about this particular ad. I was talking in general terms and trying to explain to the poster that it is not that people prefer skyiing over giving charity, but some people (like me) prefer to give directlty to people they know. And as i said, i find the results quite good if so many people have bought.

Nir, I was not talking about this particular ad. I was talking in general terms and trying to explain to the poster that it is not that people prefer skyiing over giving charity, but some people (like me) prefer to give directlty to people they know. And as i said, i find the results quite good if so many people have bought.

Ally M, Dec 22, 2014 @ 00:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Thank you Carrie. Indeed there were a lot of scams about some ads and that makes me and many others skeptical. It is a free world after all and we are all entitled to expressing politely our opinions and having particular thoughts, even doubts, about things around us. Anyway, if this boy really achieves his dream, i will be the first to be happy for him. 

Thank you Carrie. Indeed there were a lot of scams about some ads and that makes me and many others skeptical. It is a free world after all and we are all entitled to expressing politely our opinions and having particular thoughts, even doubts, about things around us. Anyway, if this boy really achieves his dream, i will be the first to be happy for him. 

Ally M, Dec 22, 2014 @ 00:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

There is a reason for wishes. When you wish for nothing for yourself and you wish only for others.....this is a very special attitude. Could we accept it if every child starts wishing for nothing? 

Thank you,  Carolyn for pointing out to us that we are big kids who want to go skiing while a little kid wishes for something else. And that potential last wishes trump all others.

Now do any other fpeople have anything to add? LOL 

I wish for people worldwide to play nice year round. 

There is a reason for wishes. When you wish for nothing for yourself and you wish only for others.....this is a very special attitude. Could we accept it if every child starts wishing for nothing? 

Thank you,  Carolyn for pointing out to us that we are big kids who want to go skiing while a little kid wishes for something else. And that potential last wishes trump all others.

Now do any other fpeople have anything to add? LOL 

I wish for people worldwide to play nice year round. 

Carrie O, Dec 22, 2014 @ 04:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

pfeople

pfeople

Carrie O, Dec 22, 2014 @ 04:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

keyboard issues again? SurprisedYell

keyboard issues again? SurprisedYell

Carrie O, Dec 22, 2014 @ 05:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Carrie O, maybe you should be sleeping from 4am to 5am ;-)

I totally agree with your message (Dec 18, 14 12:30)

We all give in different ways and should not be made feel guilty because we didn’t give to ‘make a wish’ and bought a ski pass (I didn’t do either as I hate skiing).

Carrie O, maybe you should be sleeping from 4am to 5am ;-)

I totally agree with your message (Dec 18, 14 12:30)

We all give in different ways and should not be made feel guilty because we didn’t give to ‘make a wish’ and bought a ski pass (I didn’t do either as I hate skiing).

Oonagh, Dec 22, 2014 @ 10:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

And,let's remember,one of the most important ways that people give is just in the day to day awareness they give to those who are under their noses.Being kind and considerate to those in need in our immediate sphere ( of which there are plenty,if only we would open our eyes sometimes) is very,very important.

if we gave more care to those in our immediate sphere,there would be less need for charities in rich countries like ours.

And,let's remember,one of the most important ways that people give is just in the day to day awareness they give to those who are under their noses.Being kind and considerate to those in need in our immediate sphere ( of which there are plenty,if only we would open our eyes sometimes) is very,very important.

if we gave more care to those in our immediate sphere,there would be less need for charities in rich countries like ours.

buzzcocks, Dec 22, 2014 @ 23:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

At Nag, I think you would be an excellent wife! LOL

Does Santa sleep between when and when? Am I 5 years old with a bed time? Tracey gets to stay up late! Cry 

Holy shitake mushrooms!

LOL

Opinions are like spices. They are all different and we are not obliged to like them all.

Tongue Out

At Nag, I think you would be an excellent wife! LOL

Does Santa sleep between when and when? Am I 5 years old with a bed time? Tracey gets to stay up late! Cry 

Holy shitake mushrooms!

LOL

Opinions are like spices. They are all different and we are not obliged to like them all.

Tongue Out

Carrie O, Dec 23, 2014 @ 06:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Dec 18, 14 13:08

Dear Sir,

Dear Nir,

I most humbly ask you to begin running your site like a shop. Do you want 24 hour business or would you prefer 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 11:30 on Saturday and closed on Sundays?

Are we online or aren't we?

Dear Sir,

Dear Nir,

I most humbly ask you to begin running your site like a shop. Do you want 24 hour business or would you prefer 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 11:30 on Saturday and closed on Sundays?

Are we online or aren't we?

Carrie O, Dec 23, 2014 @ 06:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

The money I spent on phone calls this season could have gone to Enis instead.

I was mismanaging my money AGAIN!

From a budget that I don't even have!

But, you know, as the defense goes, Christmas only comes once a year.

(I am glad my name is not Christmas! LOL)

Kiss

The money I spent on phone calls this season could have gone to Enis instead.

I was mismanaging my money AGAIN!

From a budget that I don't even have!

But, you know, as the defense goes, Christmas only comes once a year.

(I am glad my name is not Christmas! LOL)

Kiss

Carrie O, Dec 24, 2014 @ 07:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
25 Replies | 2055 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form