Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Legal cannabis is now on sale in Switzerland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Legal cannabis is now on sale in Switzerland

You may have seen that legal cannabis is now on sale in Switzerland. As several expat friends asked me how it comes, I thought that the reply could be of general interest.

There are various kinds of cannabis. Some of them are used for industrial purposes (they are usually called “hemp”, “chanvre” in French). They are used for making ropes, paper (including banknotes paper), animal bedding, insulation material… What’s the difference between this hemp and the cannabis which is used as a psychoactive drug? It has a low content of THC, the substance that makes one high. In most countries, it is thus permitted to cultivate hemp with less than 0,2 or 0,3% content of THC. Switzerland is more liberal: it allows 1%.

But THC is not the only active substance in cannabis. There is another one, the CBD, that is thought to make you feel relaxed and to be an anxiolytic. Smart guys had thus the idea of producing cannabis with a low content of THC (thus being legal and not psychoactive) and a high content of CBD (thus being potentially relaxing and anxiolytic). It has the look, the color, the odor, and the taste of psychoactive cannabis. But since the law only focuses on THC, nothing prevents it to be legally sold. The only restriction: the sellers can not mention its assumed properties, as they are deemed to be not soundly scientifically proven.

That’s it folks!

The text you are quoting:

You may have seen that legal cannabis is now on sale in Switzerland. As several expat friends asked me how it comes, I thought that the reply could be of general interest.

There are various kinds of cannabis. Some of them are used for industrial purposes (they are usually called “hemp”, “chanvre” in French). They are used for making ropes, paper (including banknotes paper), animal bedding, insulation material… What’s the difference between this hemp and the cannabis which is used as a psychoactive drug? It has a low content of THC, the substance that makes one high. In most countries, it is thus permitted to cultivate hemp with less than 0,2 or 0,3% content of THC. Switzerland is more liberal: it allows 1%.

But THC is not the only active substance in cannabis. There is another one, the CBD, that is thought to make you feel relaxed and to be an anxiolytic. Smart guys had thus the idea of producing cannabis with a low content of THC (thus being legal and not psychoactive) and a high content of CBD (thus being potentially relaxing and anxiolytic). It has the look, the color, the odor, and the taste of psychoactive cannabis. But since the law only focuses on THC, nothing prevents it to be legally sold. The only restriction: the sellers can not mention its assumed properties, as they are deemed to be not soundly scientifically proven.

That’s it folks!

Bustan_AMar 19, 2017 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 6309 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Legal cannabis is now on sale in Switzerland
Post 1

Thanks for the info, but you forgot the most important point....

who/where? Or should we use Yelp!? ;)

Thanks for the info, but you forgot the most important point....

who/where? Or should we use Yelp!? ;)

Zonker, Mar 19, 2017 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It's in sale at many, many, many small cigarette sellers. They usually advertize it on their windows, with a poster picturing a cannabis leaf.

Just a few examples in Geneva:

-The shop which is in front of tram 14 and 16 stop Lyon, on your left handide when going up;

-The shop at the corner of Rue de Monthoux and Rue de Berne;

-The shop in Rue des Alpes which faces the end of Rue de Neuchâtel.

Enjoy !

It's in sale at many, many, many small cigarette sellers. They usually advertize it on their windows, with a poster picturing a cannabis leaf.

-The shop which is in front of tram 14 and 16 stop Lyon, on your left handide when going up;

Enjoy !

Bustan_A, Mar 27, 2017 @ 19:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Enjoy !

Mar 27, 17 19:21

Howzat for a free puff for the outlets mentioned.  Maybe it’ll prompt others to jump on the band-wagon.

Howzat for a free puff for the outlets mentioned.  Maybe it’ll prompt others to jump on the band-wagon.

Ritchie, Mar 27, 2017 @ 19:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

So.. bad times for the "Ça va?" guys.. :P

So.. bad times for the "Ça va?" guys.. :P

Jacobo A, Mar 27, 2017 @ 19:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I had been wondering what is with all those posters on the tabac windows. Thanks now I know.

I had been wondering what is with all those posters on the tabac windows. Thanks now I know.

Marcy S, Mar 28, 2017 @ 07:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Should you have any questions, and if you speak a little French, my son has just open the first canabic school in Switzerland and Europ: if you want to learn all about it:

https://www.swisscannabisschool.com/

Should you have any questions, and if you speak a little French, my son has just open the first canabic school in Switzerland and Europ: if you want to learn all about it:

https://www.swisscannabisschool.com/

hay_, Jan 10, 2018 @ 20:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 6309 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form