Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Lost Dog on the Dole 25th January

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Lost Dog on the Dole 25th January

Just in case any glocals members were on the Dôle around 13h00 yesterday, this is to let you know that we took the dog down to St Cergue and reunited it with its owner's daughter at around 16h00.  We had to stop three or four times to warm up its feet which were icing over and managed to get a lift for the last 2km.  It turns out that the dog had been 'adopted' from the SPA, meaning it had already been abondoned once and was not too pleased about finding itself in the same position.  Everytime it sensed someone was behind us, it kept looking wistfully until it ascertained that it was not its owner.

It looked a bit like this http://www.sgpa.ch/#single1601

A big thanks to the presence of mind of a group of English? ski tourers who recognised that it was lost, checked the tag and phoned the telephone number on the tag and a thank you to them also for the piece of string they gave us which acted a lead. 

The text you are quoting:

Just in case any glocals members were on the Dôle around 13h00 yesterday, this is to let you know that we took the dog down to St Cergue and reunited it with its owner's daughter at around 16h00.  We had to stop three or four times to warm up its feet which were icing over and managed to get a lift for the last 2km.  It turns out that the dog had been 'adopted' from the SPA, meaning it had already been abondoned once and was not too pleased about finding itself in the same position.  Everytime it sensed someone was behind us, it kept looking wistfully until it ascertained that it was not its owner.

It looked a bit like this http://www.sgpa.ch/#single1601

A big thanks to the presence of mind of a group of English? ski tourers who recognised that it was lost, checked the tag and phoned the telephone number on the tag and a thank you to them also for the piece of string they gave us which acted a lead. 

Paul EJan 26, 2015 @ 13:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 918 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Lost Dog on the Dole 25th January
Post 1

Very sad story, but happy ending.Smile

Had it really been abandoned or had it run off on its own?

Some dogs do that.

Very sad story, but happy ending.Smile

Had it really been abandoned or had it run off on its own?

Some dogs do that.

Carrie O, Jan 27, 2015 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Carrie.  The owners had lost it.  Apparently they mentioned it to some of my group (but we were 18 and I did not hear about it).  They also mentioned it to the group of skiers who arrived at the top just after us.

Reports were that they had given up looking and were going down hoping the dog had gone down but I suspect the dog had been going up and continued to do so following people whom it hoped were its owners - this is borne oput by the fact that it kept waiting for people following us until it realised they were not its owners

The other big problem I think is that in the snow, with everything covered up, a dog is not able to follow any scent - a bit like when you walk up a stream to throw off the scent.

One thing comes out of this.  You should register your dog or at least have a tag on it with a telephone contact.  Had this not been the case we would have had to abandon it at St Cergue as we would not have known that it happened to come from Geneva. 

Carrie.  The owners had lost it.  Apparently they mentioned it to some of my group (but we were 18 and I did not hear about it).  They also mentioned it to the group of skiers who arrived at the top just after us.

Reports were that they had given up looking and were going down hoping the dog had gone down but I suspect the dog had been going up and continued to do so following people whom it hoped were its owners - this is borne oput by the fact that it kept waiting for people following us until it realised they were not its owners

The other big problem I think is that in the snow, with everything covered up, a dog is not able to follow any scent - a bit like when you walk up a stream to throw off the scent.

One thing comes out of this.  You should register your dog or at least have a tag on it with a telephone contact.  Had this not been the case we would have had to abandon it at St Cergue as we would not have known that it happened to come from Geneva. 

Paul E, Jan 27, 2015 @ 13:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Oh, I'm sorry, but I really read this as a lost dog claiming chomage (I know, British sense of humour!), so I'm now laughing at myself!

I also smiled at "a bit like when you walk up a stream to throw off the scent".  Can't say I've ever had the necessity to do this!

But well done on the doggy-front, Paul - nice to have some "good news" for a change Cool

Oh, I'm sorry, but I really read this as a lost dog claiming chomage (I know, British sense of humour!), so I'm now laughing at myself!

I also smiled at "a bit like when you walk up a stream to throw off the scent".  Can't say I've ever had the necessity to do this!

But well done on the doggy-front, Paul - nice to have some "good news" for a change Cool

Carolyn C, Jan 27, 2015 @ 18:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

My last "outdoor" pets were carefully tagged. We never saw the body of one of my cats, but were phoned up one day and told that she had most likely been run over. There was blood and fur on a pile of snow, and the man said he had found the collar only. It was horrible and devastating, but at least we could imagine what had happened. It must be torture to wait and wait and keep hoping that a lost animal will turn up.

Another story of loss.....

I used to walk a dog who had a tendency to just disappear suddenly whenever I gave her freedom to be off the leash. It was a real panic everytime she did it, and I feared the owners would blame me for negligence. They knew she had this running off problem and said there was not much I could do but try to keep a close eye on her. She ran away from them as well. The sad end to that story was that the dog eventually got cancer (not permanent leave or chômage or anything else that people might find funny).

When a dog runs off, gets lost, whatever...the owners have no idea where they are, what they consume, who can hurt them, etc...

I hope all glocals members will have a big think about dog obedience training, not only tags!

My last "outdoor" pets were carefully tagged. We never saw the body of one of my cats, but were phoned up one day and told that she had most likely been run over. There was blood and fur on a pile of snow, and the man said he had found the collar only. It was horrible and devastating, but at least we could imagine what had happened. It must be torture to wait and wait and keep hoping that a lost animal will turn up.

Another story of loss.....

I used to walk a dog who had a tendency to just disappear suddenly whenever I gave her freedom to be off the leash. It was a real panic everytime she did it, and I feared the owners would blame me for negligence. They knew she had this running off problem and said there was not much I could do but try to keep a close eye on her. She ran away from them as well. The sad end to that story was that the dog eventually got cancer (not permanent leave or chômage or anything else that people might find funny).

When a dog runs off, gets lost, whatever...the owners have no idea where they are, what they consume, who can hurt them, etc...

I hope all glocals members will have a big think about dog obedience training, not only tags!

Carrie O, Jan 28, 2015 @ 01:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I started the thread partly to thank the English speasking ski tourers who made the initial contact with the owners and partly to underline the fact that a dog should be 'given' a telephone number and registered.

It probably ws a case of the dog running off but not completely because it wass always looking for its owners. 

I mentioned above that it had come from an abandoned dogs' home but it could also just have been a lost dog.

It was around minus 5 on the summit and I can only assume that the owners had looked, waited and then finally made the decision to descend, telling people they met to look out for their dog.

I started the thread partly to thank the English speasking ski tourers who made the initial contact with the owners and partly to underline the fact that a dog should be 'given' a telephone number and registered.

It probably ws a case of the dog running off but not completely because it wass always looking for its owners. 

I mentioned above that it had come from an abandoned dogs' home but it could also just have been a lost dog.

It was around minus 5 on the summit and I can only assume that the owners had looked, waited and then finally made the decision to descend, telling people they met to look out for their dog.

Paul E, Jan 28, 2015 @ 09:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

The dog that I am talking about who ran off often did not have a good sense of "master." She had been passed around from owner to owner, so you can imagine her confusion. You can imagine her challenging life, being forced to obey different types of people with different rules, different houses. 

She had begun life as a farm dog, I think, so ending up in a flat in the suburbs with just a few walks per week was surely a strain on her sense of freedom. She loved being out and discovering. She always returned home, as her walks were usually in her area, but this sort of thing that you are describing, Paul, is rough for people who travel with their dogs in the mountains.

Right, enough dog stories, I have to work on my personal dole issues. Frown 

The dog that I am talking about who ran off often did not have a good sense of "master." She had been passed around from owner to owner, so you can imagine her confusion. You can imagine her challenging life, being forced to obey different types of people with different rules, different houses. 

She had begun life as a farm dog, I think, so ending up in a flat in the suburbs with just a few walks per week was surely a strain on her sense of freedom. She loved being out and discovering. She always returned home, as her walks were usually in her area, but this sort of thing that you are describing, Paul, is rough for people who travel with their dogs in the mountains.

Right, enough dog stories, I have to work on my personal dole issues. Frown 

Carrie O, Jan 28, 2015 @ 10:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Change 'she' to 'he' and it could read as my cv when I was still working

Paul E, Jan 28, 2015 @ 10:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Jan 28, 15 10:19

Now, now, Paul, one is never supposed to badmouth a former boss, even if they fob you off on other people, or drop you at the top of a snowy mountain without a proper tag. LOL

I am cutting myself off from Forum the rest of the day. Got to get serious here. Tongue Out

Now, now, Paul, one is never supposed to badmouth a former boss, even if they fob you off on other people, or drop you at the top of a snowy mountain without a proper tag. LOL

I am cutting myself off from Forum the rest of the day. Got to get serious here. Tongue Out

Carrie O, Jan 28, 2015 @ 10:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 918 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form