Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Luggage stolen in train - need advice about Police

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Luggage stolen in train - need advice about Police

My luggage was stolen from the train during the stretch between Geneve and Basel. It was a 'codeshare' trip with Deutsche Bahn and Swiss SBB. The theft occurred while I was in the restaurant car. It was a large trolley suitcase weighing about 30kg. At Basel I had to change trains to continue to my destination, and the conductor advised that in order to make my connection I should make a report to the transport police at my destination (outside Switzerland). My hope is that it would have been abandoned at a station, or actually on the train.

The local police at my destination took my report, but advised that they can neither send the report to the DB, the SBB or the Swiss Police. I called DB who filed a lost and found report, but reiterated that I had to talk to the Swiss since it happened on their train.

Starting with the SBB lost and found - you get to pay 15CHF to file a report and 25CHF, if they do find anything, to get possesion of it back. When I told them that this was a theft, they responded "we don't do that". I asked them who does, and they sent me a link to general website of the cantonale police. The SBB transport police told me I needed to make a report at the cantonale police, as they don't deal with theft. When I raised the fact that I am not in Switzerland, they advised that my husband could make a report on my behalf, in our home canton, and that this information would be disseminated to the relevant police posts. When my husband attempted to make the report, the local police laughed and said 'not possible' in the nicest Swiss manner, of course. 

The upshot is that in order to file a report with the police that I was robbed on a Swiss train, I must travel back in person to every canton that the train passed through, and make a report to the relevant police post.

I would like to know if anyone has had similar experiences, or if anyone can recommend a course of action other than 'get over it' or 'I shouldn't have left my suitcase in the luggage rack'

thanks

The text you are quoting:

My luggage was stolen from the train during the stretch between Geneve and Basel. It was a 'codeshare' trip with Deutsche Bahn and Swiss SBB. The theft occurred while I was in the restaurant car. It was a large trolley suitcase weighing about 30kg. At Basel I had to change trains to continue to my destination, and the conductor advised that in order to make my connection I should make a report to the transport police at my destination (outside Switzerland). My hope is that it would have been abandoned at a station, or actually on the train.

The local police at my destination took my report, but advised that they can neither send the report to the DB, the SBB or the Swiss Police. I called DB who filed a lost and found report, but reiterated that I had to talk to the Swiss since it happened on their train.

Starting with the SBB lost and found - you get to pay 15CHF to file a report and 25CHF, if they do find anything, to get possesion of it back. When I told them that this was a theft, they responded "we don't do that". I asked them who does, and they sent me a link to general website of the cantonale police. The SBB transport police told me I needed to make a report at the cantonale police, as they don't deal with theft. When I raised the fact that I am not in Switzerland, they advised that my husband could make a report on my behalf, in our home canton, and that this information would be disseminated to the relevant police posts. When my husband attempted to make the report, the local police laughed and said 'not possible' in the nicest Swiss manner, of course. 

The upshot is that in order to file a report with the police that I was robbed on a Swiss train, I must travel back in person to every canton that the train passed through, and make a report to the relevant police post.

I would like to know if anyone has had similar experiences, or if anyone can recommend a course of action other than 'get over it' or 'I shouldn't have left my suitcase in the luggage rack'

thanks

bearded09Jun 2, 2013 @ 15:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 3367 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Luggage stolen in train - need advice about Police
Post 1

I fell really sorry for you, as although it was not my suitcase stolen, it was my purse from my handbag at Züri Bahnhof, albeit a long time ago. I have saved for holidays in CH and had CHF550.-- as well as my tickets in my purse. The shock was tremendous! When the conductor came round, I had no ticket and no money to pay. Two very kind people whom I had never seen before, gave me money to pay him [in those days one still could]. I had travelled overnight from Antwerpen [B] and to have this happen severely clouded by rose-tinted specs. So although I cannot help you unfortunately, just wanted to say I know how you must be feeling.

I fell really sorry for you, as although it was not my suitcase stolen, it was my purse from my handbag at Züri Bahnhof, albeit a long time ago. I have saved for holidays in CH and had CHF550.-- as well as my tickets in my purse. The shock was tremendous! When the conductor came round, I had no ticket and no money to pay. Two very kind people whom I had never seen before, gave me money to pay him [in those days one still could]. I had travelled overnight from Antwerpen [B] and to have this happen severely clouded by rose-tinted specs. So although I cannot help you unfortunately, just wanted to say I know how you must be feeling.

sheila c, Jun 2, 2013 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks. I am sorry for you, but at least you had some human beings close by to help you. Good Samaritans do exist.

I have just had another wonderful telephone session with the SBB police who told me that the cantonal police SHOULD take the report, but obviously they WON'T. Great. I asked for her advice as to how I might change that, but she was reading from a template. Then I called the cantonal police to report this gem to them and they told me to travel back to my nearest police station in Switzerland, and that the German police are lazy because they won't forward the report. Almost funny considering that they won't pass on information within the canton, or Switzerland.

Thanks. I am sorry for you, but at least you had some human beings close by to help you. Good Samaritans do exist.

I have just had another wonderful telephone session with the SBB police who told me that the cantonal police SHOULD take the report, but obviously they WON'T. Great. I asked for her advice as to how I might change that, but she was reading from a template. Then I called the cantonal police to report this gem to them and they told me to travel back to my nearest police station in Switzerland, and that the German police are lazy because they won't forward the report. Almost funny considering that they won't pass on information within the canton, or Switzerland.

bearded09, Jun 2, 2013 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi there Im really sorry to hear about the theft !  I previously worked at the Australian consulate and unfortunately this type of thing happens more often then we would like to think. 

Have you advised your insurance company who you have your assurance menage (houselhold insurance) ?  You normally have a clause for theft.  If you can get the police report or a report from the SBB you can file this asap with your insurance company to try and recoup the loss of the content and the actual luggage.

From my experiences you need to see the police in person and if the value of your luggage content has an important value then this will certainly be worth your while.

I dont know if this has helped you but I hope others take note that only pop off to the restaurant when you are well between stations and keep a good eye on all your belongings and dont let 'anyone' carry your luggage in order to 'help' you.  Good luck to you !

Hi there Im really sorry to hear about the theft !  I previously worked at the Australian consulate and unfortunately this type of thing happens more often then we would like to think. 

Have you advised your insurance company who you have your assurance menage (houselhold insurance) ?  You normally have a clause for theft.  If you can get the police report or a report from the SBB you can file this asap with your insurance company to try and recoup the loss of the content and the actual luggage.

From my experiences you need to see the police in person and if the value of your luggage content has an important value then this will certainly be worth your while.

I dont know if this has helped you but I hope others take note that only pop off to the restaurant when you are well between stations and keep a good eye on all your belongings and dont let 'anyone' carry your luggage in order to 'help' you.  Good luck to you !

Toupie_2, Jun 2, 2013 @ 17:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

You can file the report for free online. Just if you go to them persoanlly, you have to pay.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lost-property-service.html

Reporting a loss via the Internet costs you nothing. However, if you report a loss to Rail Service (0900 300 300 CHF 1.19/min. from the Swiss landlines) or at a ticket counter, you will be charged CHF 15 for this service.

You can file the report for free online. Just if you go to them persoanlly, you have to pay.

Reporting a loss via the Internet costs you nothing. However, if you report a loss to Rail Service (0900 300 300 CHF 1.19/min. from the Swiss landlines) or at a ticket counter, you will be charged CHF 15 for this service.

Alan S, Jun 2, 2013 @ 18:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jun 2, 13 18:01

Very good point Smile

Very good point Smile

Toupie_2, Jun 2, 2013 @ 18:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

you can file it ONLY as lost and found. There is NOTHING for theft. 

Okay, I save myself 15 Francs, unless they 'find' it

bearded09, Jun 2, 2013 @ 18:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jun 2, 13 18:59

I haven't found a site for stolen items. I saw an article on a German-speaking site which linked to that site. So for SBB, stolen seems to be equal to lost...

I haven't found a site for stolen items. I saw an article on a German-speaking site which linked to that site. So for SBB, stolen seems to be equal to lost...

Alan S, Jun 2, 2013 @ 21:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 3367 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form