Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Mandatory Health Insurance - Doubt

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Mandatory Health Insurance - Doubt

Hi there,

I'm searching for the mandatory health insurance, I'm a brazilian citizen, going to Geneva to study. 

What is the best option? 

I was looking for insurances and did not understand the deductible, this is a fee that I have to pay upfront?

Best

Filipe

PS: If you know specific information, I'm 23 years old and going to study at the Université de Genève.

The text you are quoting:

Hi there,

I'm searching for the mandatory health insurance, I'm a brazilian citizen, going to Geneva to study. 

What is the best option? 

I was looking for insurances and did not understand the deductible, this is a fee that I have to pay upfront?

Best

Filipe

PS: If you know specific information, I'm 23 years old and going to study at the Université de Genève.

Filipe GonzagaJul 28, 2016 @ 00:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1615 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Mandatory Health Insurance - Doubt
Post 1

you should check with the uni. students usually can have a different student health insurance.

As to the deductible, that is the amount you need to pay yoursef in addition to the insurance premiums.

Usually how it works, you pay the bill once the doctor sent it to you via mail and then you submit the bill to your insurance so. They will reimburse you the bill minus your deductible (10% per bill) until the deductible part is totally used up. Following that the insurance pays all. (It is a bit wage but more or less this is how it works)

http://www.moneyland.ch/en/health-insurance-deductibles-switzerland

you should check with the uni. students usually can have a different student health insurance.

As to the deductible, that is the amount you need to pay yoursef in addition to the insurance premiums.

Usually how it works, you pay the bill once the doctor sent it to you via mail and then you submit the bill to your insurance so. They will reimburse you the bill minus your deductible (10% per bill) until the deductible part is totally used up. Following that the insurance pays all. (It is a bit wage but more or less this is how it works)

http://www.moneyland.ch/en/health-insurance-deductibles-switzerland

Reka Y, Jul 28, 2016 @ 07:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Yes, that's right, Felipe. And so consequently the higher the deductible ("franchise") the cheaper (yes, well........... :o) the insuarnce. I have the highest deductible possible (CHF 2,500) and hence "only" pay about 250 fr. a month for mine.

To shop around for the best and cheapest insurance which also suits your purposes the best, there is this really good comparative website, where you can also get instant quotes from almost all of the major Swiss insuarnce companies: https://en.comparis.ch/

Good luck !  

Yes, that's right, Felipe. And so consequently the higher the deductible ("franchise") the cheaper (yes, well........... :o) the insuarnce. I have the highest deductible possible (CHF 2,500) and hence "only" pay about 250 fr. a month for mine.

To shop around for the best and cheapest insurance which also suits your purposes the best, there is this really good comparative website, where you can also get instant quotes from almost all of the major Swiss insuarnce companies: https://en.comparis.ch/

Good luck !  

Eva D, Jul 28, 2016 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Felipe, 

1. All basic health insurance offer identical coverage by law.

2. Strangely enough, although the coverage is identical, the costs are different and can vary by up to 20%. Use the site that Eva recommended to compare costs and reviews. 

3. Personally I use Assura and I'm happy with them. 

4. The deductable is not something you pay upfront. The deductable is your "self participation" in case you need to activate the insurance. So let's say you choose a deductable of CHF 1000. If you don't need to activate your insurance during the year, you don't pay this CHF 1000. But if you need to activate the insurance to cover medical costs, the insurance will kick in only after the costs reached CHF 1000. So the 1st CHF 1000 of medical bills will be paid by you. 

Nir

Felipe, 

1. All basic health insurance offer identical coverage by law.

2. Strangely enough, although the coverage is identical, the costs are different and can vary by up to 20%. Use the site that Eva recommended to compare costs and reviews. 

3. Personally I use Assura and I'm happy with them. 

4. The deductable is not something you pay upfront. The deductable is your "self participation" in case you need to activate the insurance. So let's say you choose a deductable of CHF 1000. If you don't need to activate your insurance during the year, you don't pay this CHF 1000. But if you need to activate the insurance to cover medical costs, the insurance will kick in only after the costs reached CHF 1000. So the 1st CHF 1000 of medical bills will be paid by you. 

Nir

Nir Ofek, Jul 28, 2016 @ 11:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hola Filipe,

As Reka adviced, you should check the UNIGE's site for information for students:

http://www.unige.ch/dife/sante-social/aides-financieres/assurances/assurances-maladie-accident/#tab1

It seems that all insurance companies have the same rate for foreign students:

86 per month and 100 annual deductible. Not bad. If you need medical services, you pay only the first 100 of your expenses and they take it up from there.

http://w3.advisor-swiss.ch/insurance/students/health-insurance/foreign-student/

http://www.servistudent.com/offer

Jorge

Hola Filipe,

As Reka adviced, you should check the UNIGE's site for information for students:

http://www.unige.ch/dife/sante-social/aides-financieres/assurances/assurances-maladie-accident/#tab1

It seems that all insurance companies have the same rate for foreign students:

86 per month and 100 annual deductible. Not bad. If you need medical services, you pay only the first 100 of your expenses and they take it up from there.

http://w3.advisor-swiss.ch/insurance/students/health-insurance/foreign-student/

http://www.servistudent.com/offer

Jorge

JR M, Jul 28, 2016 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Looks like you got yourself an e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t deal then, Filipe (almost makes me wish I were a student again :o)! Lucky guy and congratulations ! 

Looks like you got yourself an e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t deal then, Filipe (almost makes me wish I were a student again :o)! Lucky guy and congratulations ! 

Eva D, Jul 28, 2016 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Jul 28, 16 14:50

Well, the irony* is that we don't really need health insurance much when we are young students. Then when we get old and all the partying and reckless behavior of our youth catches up with usFrown, and we actually need medical attention, the monthly primes are much higher..... Undecided

[*also known as insurance companies' business plan]

Well, the irony* is that we don't really need health insurance much when we are young students. Then when we get old and all the partying and reckless behavior of our youth catches up with usFrown, and we actually need medical attention, the monthly primes are much higher..... Undecided

[*also known as insurance companies' business plan]

JR M, Jul 28, 2016 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thank you all!!

I'm arriving on Aug 14th, I will check with the university as soon as I arrive, to see their options and to have the student card available, so I can profit from those good prices. 

Around CHF 85 is a great deal!

Thanks again!!

Filipe

Thank you all!!

I'm arriving on Aug 14th, I will check with the university as soon as I arrive, to see their options and to have the student card available, so I can profit from those good prices. 

Around CHF 85 is a great deal!

Thanks again!!

Filipe

Filipe Gonzaga, Jul 28, 2016 @ 18:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Isnt it, though ?! Am GREEN of envy (HATE paying that darn_d insurance premium....... :o)

Welcome to Geneva, Filipe ! 

Isnt it, though ?! Am GREEN of envy (HATE paying that darn_d insurance premium....... :o)

Welcome to Geneva, Filipe ! 

Eva D, Jul 28, 2016 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hahaha. Think that at least you are not in Brazil, where my health insurance is around CHF 500 per month! It covers everything thou (no deductible and the dental part is another plan)

Thank you !! :) 

Hahaha. Think that at least you are not in Brazil, where my health insurance is around CHF 500 per month! It covers everything thou (no deductible and the dental part is another plan)

Thank you !! :) 

Filipe Gonzaga, Jul 28, 2016 @ 21:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1615 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form