Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Mechanic in France - Clio II

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Mechanic in France - Clio II

Hey,

I have a clio II 1.4 16v from 2002, and I need to change the timing belt, and the bearings in the back wheels.

I checked a garage/mechanic in Thoiry that asked me 1400EUR for this service, which seems excessive.

Does anyone have experiences with mechanics in France, and recommends one?

Thanks in advance!

The text you are quoting:

Hey,

I have a clio II 1.4 16v from 2002, and I need to change the timing belt, and the bearings in the back wheels.

I checked a garage/mechanic in Thoiry that asked me 1400EUR for this service, which seems excessive.

Does anyone have experiences with mechanics in France, and recommends one?

Thanks in advance!

Claudia PFeb 9, 2017 @ 09:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 853 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Mechanic in France - Clio II
Post 1

My experiences in the last 10 years have all been negative (with 5 different mechanics), except at Feu Vert, but they do not do complicated repairs. Thus, I now rely on a Geneva mechanic. Costs more but he is honest and effective. This past month I needed a repair and two French mechanics quoted me repairs costing more than 1,000 euros, and their diagnostic was completely different from one another. I know enough mechanics not to believe them, took it to the Geneva mechanic, he found the problem, told me how to fix it myself (replace a simple cheap piece) and charged me nothing.

My experiences in the last 10 years have all been negative (with 5 different mechanics), except at Feu Vert, but they do not do complicated repairs. Thus, I now rely on a Geneva mechanic. Costs more but he is honest and effective. This past month I needed a repair and two French mechanics quoted me repairs costing more than 1,000 euros, and their diagnostic was completely different from one another. I know enough mechanics not to believe them, took it to the Geneva mechanic, he found the problem, told me how to fix it myself (replace a simple cheap piece) and charged me nothing.

JR M, Feb 9, 2017 @ 09:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Feb 9, 17 09:39

Ok, then maybe you could share his name ... honest mechanics are not easy to find around here

Ok, then maybe you could share his name ... honest mechanics are not easy to find around here

ajimenezp, Feb 10, 2017 @ 02:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Feb 10, 17 02:58

Can you find honest machanics anywhere in the world?

Can you find honest machanics anywhere in the world?

tawb, Feb 10, 2017 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Feb 10, 17 02:58

His name is Giovanni Stimoli, and his shop is "LEGENDARY CAR," in Vernier, close to the IKEA. His hobby is reconstructing very old cars, 60-70 years old, for which there are no existing parts. He is very clever and inventive.

His name is Giovanni Stimoli, and his shop is "LEGENDARY CAR," in Vernier, close to the IKEA. His hobby is reconstructing very old cars, 60-70 years old, for which there are no existing parts. He is very clever and inventive.

JR M, Feb 10, 2017 @ 16:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I had my timing belt changed, and a full service, for 380 Euros. I had to drive down to Malaga for the privilege, though... 

I had my timing belt changed, and a full service, for 380 Euros. I had to drive down to Malaga for the privilege, though... 

Andy C, Feb 10, 2017 @ 18:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

hey! I ended up going to the Renault garage in St Genis Pouilly (not the first garage I checked) and the service was good, slightly cheaper, and within the stipulated budget.

hey! I ended up going to the Renault garage in St Genis Pouilly (not the first garage I checked) and the service was good, slightly cheaper, and within the stipulated budget.

Claudia P, Feb 16, 2017 @ 17:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 853 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form