Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Motorbike

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Motorbike

Does any one has an advice for a startup motorbike(not a scooter) for women? And a good dealer around Lausanne, Montreux? 

The text you are quoting:

Does any one has an advice for a startup motorbike(not a scooter) for women? And a good dealer around Lausanne, Montreux? 

ayse uralMay 24, 2016 @ 17:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 1217 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Motorbike
Post 1

I am not an expert, but I believe it is wise to start with a 125 cc , then move to bigger motorbikes afte 2 years of experience.

the Suzuki 125 van van 2014 would be perfect for a beginner, easy to ride, reliable, excellent quality/price, and very beautifull

I am not an expert, but I believe it is wise to start with a 125 cc , then move to bigger motorbikes afte 2 years of experience.

the Suzuki 125 van van 2014 would be perfect for a beginner, easy to ride, reliable, excellent quality/price, and very beautifull

gaudi, May 24, 2016 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Don t buy new , because a 2-3 years old bike would be still in a good shape, but the price drop sharply , loosing a third of it s original price or even more 30-40%

Don t buy new , because a 2-3 years old bike would be still in a good shape, but the price drop sharply , loosing a third of it s original price or even more 30-40%

gaudi, May 24, 2016 @ 21:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

You can have it new for chf 3900, and it is also wiser to have a 125 cc because it is cheaper for insurances.

You can have it new for chf 3900, and it is also wiser to have a 125 cc because it is cheaper for insurances.

gaudi, May 24, 2016 @ 21:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks G. great advice

Thanks G. great advice

ayse ural, May 27, 2016 @ 20:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I would advise against starting on a 125cc bike.  They have the advantage of being cheap, but this is outweighed by their slowness and lack of stability which makes them more difficult to ride than more powerful bikes, especially if you are new at it.

The ability to always be somewhat faster than surrounding traffic is the primary safety feature of motorbikes.  This doesn't mean that you have to race everywhere, but it does mean that you have less risk of being caught out by what's behind you.  Plus the combination of better power and more weight means that bumps and cambers will feel smoother and the whole riding experience will be more relaxed, which means you can concentrate on riding properly.

The big manufacturers all make novice-friendly, full-size bikes that are reliable and easy to ride.  If in doubt find your nearest Honda main dealer.  Honda's are very reliable and are designed to fit most people.  Once you've been riding for a while you'll develop a much clearer idea of what type of bike you really want.

Good luck!

I would advise against starting on a 125cc bike.  They have the advantage of being cheap, but this is outweighed by their slowness and lack of stability which makes them more difficult to ride than more powerful bikes, especially if you are new at it.

The ability to always be somewhat faster than surrounding traffic is the primary safety feature of motorbikes.  This doesn't mean that you have to race everywhere, but it does mean that you have less risk of being caught out by what's behind you.  Plus the combination of better power and more weight means that bumps and cambers will feel smoother and the whole riding experience will be more relaxed, which means you can concentrate on riding properly.

The big manufacturers all make novice-friendly, full-size bikes that are reliable and easy to ride.  If in doubt find your nearest Honda main dealer.  Honda's are very reliable and are designed to fit most people.  Once you've been riding for a while you'll develop a much clearer idea of what type of bike you really want.

Good luck!

Andy C, Jun 1, 2016 @ 18:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

+1 to Andy.

There is also the question of : "are you planning to pass your driving licence?"

If so, obviously, you need more than a 125cc...

I'd recommend any well known 650cc twin. Best is to spend half a day to go and check major brands dealers to find the bike you'll feel more confortable with (Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki ...)

+1 to Andy.

There is also the question of : "are you planning to pass your driving licence?"

If so, obviously, you need more than a 125cc...

I'd recommend any well known 650cc twin. Best is to spend half a day to go and check major brands dealers to find the bike you'll feel more confortable with (Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki ...)

Damien F, Jun 2, 2016 @ 07:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hello Ayse,

I agree with Steve and Gaudi -and therefore disagree with Andy and Damien, when it comes to a beginner, sorry-.Embarassed

I don't know how tall you are, but let's talk about my wife: 1.62 and 50kg, so not a big girl.

She manages easily a 125-250cc, but cannot handle a 600cc, no way a 4cylinders CBF 600 which is heavey a dead pig. Specially when parked. Those steeds make for way more than 200kgs. I reckon that she's not much into bikes, but she can ride a geared bike.

As said by Andy and Damien, on the open road, a big bike will handle much, much better than a small bike and you might feel more confident due to the amazing acceleration power. However, probably you want start there, but maybe commuting and going for the easy stroll around the city during the weekend, so I would start with something lighter. Power/weight ratio will be much worse, but when stopped, it will help the lightness.

Wide handlebars, a straight riding position and footpegs that do not interfere while you are stopped will help, as it happens with trail bikes, but there are few and probably will not match your taste. Except the Suzuki Van Van, if you may call it a traily. Road oriented, I see many girls on Yamaha CBF 125cc. I have ridden it and although a small bike, it is great fun and it corners pretty well.

Finally, keep in mind that the regulations just changed -a month ago or so- and now you jump from 125cc licence to 400cc. So the exam cannot be taken with a 250cc, as it used to be the case. So I would go for a lite bike, otherwise you may get scared and frustrated.

My two cents, I hope it helps.

Regards and enjoy the ride,

Floris. 

Hello Ayse,

I agree with Steve and Gaudi -and therefore disagree with Andy and Damien, when it comes to a beginner, sorry-.Embarassed

I don't know how tall you are, but let's talk about my wife: 1.62 and 50kg, so not a big girl.

She manages easily a 125-250cc, but cannot handle a 600cc, no way a 4cylinders CBF 600 which is heavey a dead pig. Specially when parked. Those steeds make for way more than 200kgs. I reckon that she's not much into bikes, but she can ride a geared bike.

As said by Andy and Damien, on the open road, a big bike will handle much, much better than a small bike and you might feel more confident due to the amazing acceleration power. However, probably you want start there, but maybe commuting and going for the easy stroll around the city during the weekend, so I would start with something lighter. Power/weight ratio will be much worse, but when stopped, it will help the lightness.

Wide handlebars, a straight riding position and footpegs that do not interfere while you are stopped will help, as it happens with trail bikes, but there are few and probably will not match your taste. Except the Suzuki Van Van, if you may call it a traily. Road oriented, I see many girls on Yamaha CBF 125cc. I have ridden it and although a small bike, it is great fun and it corners pretty well.

Finally, keep in mind that the regulations just changed -a month ago or so- and now you jump from 125cc licence to 400cc. So the exam cannot be taken with a 250cc, as it used to be the case. So I would go for a lite bike, otherwise you may get scared and frustrated.

My two cents, I hope it helps.

Regards and enjoy the ride,

Floris. 

Floris Vanderford, Jun 17, 2016 @ 09:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I have a Suzuki TUx 250cc (I am definitly.... how to say... not very tall....)

It's a great bike, looks very nice with its retro style, and it's very easy to handle.

It's the ideal bike for those who are small in size or the perfect alternative to a scooter to skip  the city traffic .

Astrid

I have a Suzuki TUx 250cc (I am definitly.... how to say... not very tall....)

It's a great bike, looks very nice with its retro style, and it's very easy to handle.

It's the ideal bike for those who are small in size or the perfect alternative to a scooter to skip  the city traffic .

Astrid

Astrid P, Jun 17, 2016 @ 15:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Ah... yes... just one more comment.... both women and men have two legs... so basically it all depends on how long are the legs.... If the woman is 180 cm.... she can have any bike... (yes, size matters LOL) 

Ah... yes... just one more comment.... both women and men have two legs... so basically it all depends on how long are the legs.... If the woman is 180 cm.... she can have any bike... (yes, size matters LOL) 

Astrid P, Jun 17, 2016 @ 15:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

That's a cool bike, definitely. Great for any girl (or guy), I have ridden it as well and it handles great. It's been used very often to prepare for the licence.

But there is an issue since regulation changed: she would have to pass her exam with a bigger bike if she wants to ride a 250 as your suzuki. While the 125cc licence only requires a weekend riding course.

Then it's up to her. But definitely great bike for any girl (or guy).

That's a cool bike, definitely. Great for any girl (or guy), I have ridden it as well and it handles great. It's been used very often to prepare for the licence.

But there is an issue since regulation changed: she would have to pass her exam with a bigger bike if she wants to ride a 250 as your suzuki. While the 125cc licence only requires a weekend riding course.

Then it's up to her. But definitely great bike for any girl (or guy).

Floris Vanderford, Jun 18, 2016 @ 15:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Thank you Floris (on behalf of my beloved bike Wink)

I do not know anything about the new regulation... but can a 125cc go into the motorway?

When I bought my bike (years ago in Italy) I chose a 250cc to be able to acces the motorway... It was not for a matter of speed...  but I did not want a vehicle with such a limitation. Now that I live in Ferney Voltaire I use the motorway very often...sometimes just for a few km to by-pass the city, or go to reach other villages nearby... Laughing

Thank you Floris (on behalf of my beloved bike Wink)

I do not know anything about the new regulation... but can a 125cc go into the motorway?

When I bought my bike (years ago in Italy) I chose a 250cc to be able to acces the motorway... It was not for a matter of speed...  but I did not want a vehicle with such a limitation. Now that I live in Ferney Voltaire I use the motorway very often...sometimes just for a few km to by-pass the city, or go to reach other villages nearby... Laughing

Astrid P, Jun 18, 2016 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Well, they are allowed to, but definitely they are not the right bikes. A Honda Varadero 125 or a scooter Yamaha XMax 125 are quite powerful (the Varadero has a V twin engine!), so you may feel they reach the others' pace, more or less. But no, you should not take highways since you will feel out of place and at a some risk, but it may be acceptable for a short strech (let's say Ferney to Ikea Wink)

Well, they are allowed to, but definitely they are not the right bikes. A Honda Varadero 125 or a scooter Yamaha XMax 125 are quite powerful (the Varadero has a V twin engine!), so you may feel they reach the others' pace, more or less. But no, you should not take highways since you will feel out of place and at a some risk, but it may be acceptable for a short strech (let's say Ferney to Ikea Wink)

Floris Vanderford, Jun 19, 2016 @ 22:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 1217 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form