Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Mountain Bike Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Mountain Bike Geneva

Hi everyone, 

I've been in Geneva for 7 months and have let the surrounding mountains and good weather seduce me into buying a mountain bike. Now I'm ready to go for my first ride in 10 years (I used to race as a teenager, many years ago...). I've heard the Saleve is good, any other recommendations? Ideally I'd like to join a group, or some kind of organization that has i.e. regular weekend rides...

Cheers,

Boris

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone, 

I've been in Geneva for 7 months and have let the surrounding mountains and good weather seduce me into buying a mountain bike. Now I'm ready to go for my first ride in 10 years (I used to race as a teenager, many years ago...). I've heard the Saleve is good, any other recommendations? Ideally I'd like to join a group, or some kind of organization that has i.e. regular weekend rides...

Cheers,

Boris

Boris SMay 15, 2014 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 1974 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Mountain Bike Geneva
Post 1

What kind of bike did you get and what kind of riding do you want to do? I ride the trails on the Saleve but generally only the DH ones

What kind of bike did you get and what kind of riding do you want to do? I ride the trails on the Saleve but generally only the DH ones

Steven T, May 15, 2014 @ 19:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It's more of a XC / trail bike since that's the kind of riding I like to do, thoght of course capable of going DH. Is there XC riding on the Saleve? Most of the guys I've seen there have full-face helmets and take the bike left, so I'm guessing not...

It's more of a XC / trail bike since that's the kind of riding I like to do, thoght of course capable of going DH. Is there XC riding on the Saleve? Most of the guys I've seen there have full-face helmets and take the bike left, so I'm guessing not...

Boris S, May 16, 2014 @ 10:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I meant take the SKI LIFT :)

Oh friday

I meant take the SKI LIFT :)

Oh friday

Boris S, May 16, 2014 @ 10:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

There is good XC on the Saleve, I just hardly ever do it ;) You still take the lift up, then head down towards Monnetier-Mornex. There are a number of trails with the ones furthest right being the mellowest. From the village you then take the Chemin du Petit Saleve and climb the trails up the Petit Saleve and back down the far side. You can then go left on a path alongside the Autoroute/D1206 until you get back to the bottom of the telepherique.

There is good XC on the Saleve, I just hardly ever do it ;) You still take the lift up, then head down towards Monnetier-Mornex. There are a number of trails with the ones furthest right being the mellowest. From the village you then take the Chemin du Petit Saleve and climb the trails up the Petit Saleve and back down the far side. You can then go left on a path alongside the Autoroute/D1206 until you get back to the bottom of the telepherique.

Steven T, May 16, 2014 @ 14:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I tried some of the trails along the rhone, with no luck - they were narrow and overgrown, and generally better suited to hiking than biking. I'm heading to the Saleve this weekend; in general though, is there no MTB club, or organized rides, anything like that? All the roadies seem to have it...

I tried some of the trails along the rhone, with no luck - they were narrow and overgrown, and generally better suited to hiking than biking. I'm heading to the Saleve this weekend; in general though, is there no MTB club, or organized rides, anything like that? All the roadies seem to have it...

Boris S, May 23, 2014 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hello, anyone out there riding......?

elke

Hello, anyone out there riding......?

elke

sasselle, May 26, 2015 @ 22:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Any luck, Elke?  i just got my bike over from Oz and have started looking around for tracks/rides ect

Any luck, Elke?  i just got my bike over from Oz and have started looking around for tracks/rides ect

Mat L, Apr 24, 2016 @ 21:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

There's a Geneva mountain biking Facebook group that's a good place to start: https://www.facebook.com/groups/177874085730399/

There's a Geneva mountain biking Facebook group that's a good place to start: https://www.facebook.com/groups/177874085730399/

Steven T, Apr 27, 2016 @ 17:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks Steven. Signed up on that one.

Thanks Steven. Signed up on that one.

sasselle, Apr 30, 2016 @ 13:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

HI Mat, we have discovered a really nice train that runs from Geneva - via Annemasse and beyond, seemingly all the way to Chamonix. Steve, a mountain bike friend, and I, have been talking about organizing a group ride over a weekend all the way to chamonix, with a one night stay somewhere on the way there. Will keep you all posted when we are getting organized. In the meantime, shout if you want to go for a ride. I am available, generally on wednesday and thursday after work and on weekends that fall on even weeks, with the first one only being the weekend of June 4 - 5. 

HI Mat, we have discovered a really nice train that runs from Geneva - via Annemasse and beyond, seemingly all the way to Chamonix. Steve, a mountain bike friend, and I, have been talking about organizing a group ride over a weekend all the way to chamonix, with a one night stay somewhere on the way there. Will keep you all posted when we are getting organized. In the meantime, shout if you want to go for a ride. I am available, generally on wednesday and thursday after work and on weekends that fall on even weeks, with the first one only being the weekend of June 4 - 5. 

sasselle, Apr 30, 2016 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Thanks for the info, both the facebook page and also good to hear there are good trails from Geneva,  the weekend ride/treck sounds interesting.  and would also be keen for a ride next weekend depending on travel.  will keep an eye out on facebook page and also here to see who is heading out.

Thanks for the info, both the facebook page and also good to hear there are good trails from Geneva,  the weekend ride/treck sounds interesting.  and would also be keen for a ride next weekend depending on travel.  will keep an eye out on facebook page and also here to see who is heading out.

Mat L, Apr 30, 2016 @ 21:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

sounds good - know how to reach you then. 

sounds good - know how to reach you then. 

sasselle, Apr 30, 2016 @ 22:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi Boris,

I join you for a XC ride, with pleasure.

Feel free to whatsapp me 076 372 36 15

Cheers.

Steve

Hi Boris,

I join you for a XC ride, with pleasure.

Feel free to whatsapp me 076 372 36 15

Cheers.

Steve

Steve Eisenhut, Jul 15, 2016 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 1974 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form