Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Moving to France - driver's license question - help please!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to France - driver's license question - help please!

Hi there,

I'm Canadian and I exchanged my Canadian driver's license for a Swiss one a couple of years ago. Now I will be moving to France, does anyone know if I can continue driving in France with my Swiss license because it was issued in Switzerland despite not being a EU-citizen? 

I had exchanged my Canadian license for the Swiss one and it has since expired so I won't be able to exchange it for a French one either.. 

Any help or guidance would be appreciated by those who have moved across the border to France!

Thanks in advance,

Daniela 

The text you are quoting:

Hi there,

I'm Canadian and I exchanged my Canadian driver's license for a Swiss one a couple of years ago. Now I will be moving to France, does anyone know if I can continue driving in France with my Swiss license because it was issued in Switzerland despite not being a EU-citizen? 

I had exchanged my Canadian license for the Swiss one and it has since expired so I won't be able to exchange it for a French one either.. 

Any help or guidance would be appreciated by those who have moved across the border to France!

Thanks in advance,

Daniela 

Daniela VOct 31, 2017 @ 17:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 938 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to France - driver's license question - help please!
Post 1

You need to exchange your Swiss driving license with a French one, and you have one year to do so: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1460

You would be able to continue using the driving license from a foreign country after moving to France only if:

1) the driving license was delivered by an EU country, and

2) you don't commit any infraction that cause loss of points from the permit (France uses the permis à points)

CH is not a EU member, so unfortunately point 1 does not apply. 

You need to exchange your Swiss driving license with a French one, and you have one year to do so: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1460

You would be able to continue using the driving license from a foreign country after moving to France only if:

1) the driving license was delivered by an EU country, and

2) you don't commit any infraction that cause loss of points from the permit (France uses the permis à points)

CH is not a EU member, so unfortunately point 1 does not apply. 

TheOmegaMan, Oct 31, 2017 @ 23:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Moving to France - driver's license question - help please!
Post 2

I exchanged my California Drivers licence for a Swiss Licence, but infact my California licence was still good for several more years, so I still used it in other countries. 

In your case, you might check with the French authorities if you can first exchange a Canadian Drivery licence for a French licence, if so, then you need to determine if its easier for you to renew your canadian Licence, or if you can exchange the Swiss Licence or start new and get a french licence. 

I really hope someone with more experience can answer those points for you, so it is easier or more smooth in your new home/country of residence. 

Good luck

I exchanged my California Drivers licence for a Swiss Licence, but infact my California licence was still good for several more years, so I still used it in other countries. 

In your case, you might check with the French authorities if you can first exchange a Canadian Drivery licence for a French licence, if so, then you need to determine if its easier for you to renew your canadian Licence, or if you can exchange the Swiss Licence or start new and get a french licence. 

I really hope someone with more experience can answer those points for you, so it is easier or more smooth in your new home/country of residence. 

Good luck

Dave G, Nov 1, 2017 @ 00:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 938 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form