Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > My experience with second hand cars from garages

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
My experience with second hand cars from garages

I will tell you  my experience with buying second hand cars here in switzerland.

Based on my kilometers per year, I`m used to change the cars each 2 up to 3 years. I germany, I never had any big issues to buy a second hand car.

So... in 2009, I decided to buy my first car here in switzerland. I bought a Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6 from a garage. They were nice, offered me a warranty over an insurance for 1 year. It was second hand, no accident ... Nice.

I made a deal with them. I could reduce the price a little bit and they should give the car to AMAG to make the big service.

End of the story... they made the service by themselve with the result, that they nearly "killed" the V6 TDI and I needed to bring the car to AMAG because of the dead engine...

After AMAG fixed it  I left to my winter holidays to germany. With the car, it was possible to drive 240km/h... What I did from time to time. I realized that I had some issues to stop the car. OK. 2 tons of car.. but the brakes should be ok.

Than in germany, I drove to a garage to have look and later they called me. "Someone" cutted the cable from the brake pads to the computer to avoid an error message in the cockpit of the car Yell

That means, I already bought the car with already finish breaks - knowing that I will use the car in german highways. Of course, I saw that I have to change in a couple of month the breaks but knowing that the car will tell me when...

So I made photos, changed the pads and after the holidays, I went to the garage and they never said something. They paied me the price for the pads..that`s all.

Later, I had a look in the documents for the warranty insurance and I saw that this insurance will end after 20.000km or one year.. Great.. I already drove 21.000km.. sh...t OK.. than I could identifiy that this car had an heavy accident.

Hm...the garage told me accident free. OK.. look into the contract.. Arg.. he didn`t fixed it the contract. I tried to get in contact with the garage but I never got a feedback.

Over the 1 year I drove the car, I paied 10.000CHF for repairs on the top of the sales price and I could only sold for 50% under the price I paied...

OK.. one expensive point more on the list..."What not do to again" Laughing

So I was looking for another car.. I spent days to check the swiss and german market for an Audi TT.

Finally I made the decision to buy in switzerland from a Audi Garage to get sure to get the best service etc. In total I had a look for 13 TT`s and I can tell you, it`s a mess what kind of cars the people offer to you. In the internet, they looked good, but in reality... No comments.

As mentioned before, I bought than my TT from an Audi garage close to the german border. Built 2004, 3.2 liter with the famous DGS ...

Reduce the price... no way .... not 5 franks...nothing.. OK, the offered my a "full" warranty by Quality 1 and I was suprised about this.. 100% ? Several time I asked the sales person and finaly he gave me some additional information AND... yes. 100% of the work but 70% of the parts.

I see, this guy is very good informed about the products he wants to sell..

Than he told me, that the DSG is new..changed 15tkm before but the service book is missing. No problem, he told me, you will get a new one. OK.. all services done by Audi... I couldn`t see here an issue..

Of course, I made a testdrive (only 20min) and I already could see that the break are dead. (We speak here about min. 1.800CHF for this car..).

The engine was nice, no strange noise, some scratches, leather ok, gearbox  not 100% smooth during transmission shift, but ok. If the gearbox is new..

I spoke with him after the testdrive about the breaks and he told me that they will make the MFK new and if they have to make the brakes new, they will do. Otherwise not..OK

End of the story, I got the car 1 week later with fresh brakes and new 2 years MFK. I started the engine the first time... PIEEEEEEEP. Light error. Oh know.. This car has xenon.

Back to the garage and they had a look and 15min later they told me that the electronic control box is the reason. I have to come back to change. I told them that they can send me the pieces and I will do. They accepted.

Than I left.... Was nice.. 250km back home with average consumptiopn of 7.6 liter with 250 PS ;-)

Than I got the new part for the lights and I bought before new xenon bulbs for 150CHF in germany to get sure, everything is fresh. I changed...but same issue.. Not each time I switched on the light.. but several times. OK I need a complete new light unit.. sh..t

But this issue.. I forgot over the time. But what I recognized very strong vibrations with each transmission shift..

OK, I have an insurance which covers all these things. I had a look what I would need.. hm.. ah. copy of the service book. Ok I went down to the car to have  a look. WOW. empty service book ? But the guy told me...

The day after I called the garage and I got as an answer, that he told me that they have no service book. I answered that he promised me to give me copy.. etc..

A couple of weeks later I got the service book with 1 entry.. done by ATU..that means.. no clear "Audi" history... I saw again my money flying away for the time I will sell my car... Ahh. not again such a bad story...like I had for the Skoda. Ande he sent me invoices from Audi about the new DSG. But what the hell ? They only changed the mechatronic and not the gearbox. Again one point more what is not in line, what the person told me..

The vibrations became more an more stronger and it was difficult to drive relaxt.

Than I decided to give the car back to the Audi garage where I bought it to have a look for the issue. Of course, they told me that I can give the car also to Audi Lausanne but I told them that I prefer that they should have a look.

Until this time, I drove only 2.000km and it was 2 months ago I bought the car. I already spend 1.500CHF for smaller urgent repairs... because of damages not covered by the insurance and the missing service book..

With nice vibrations and strange noise from the engine.. I drove 250km to the Audi garage. I can tell you that the testdrive with one person from the garage was sucessfull. He got scared to drive with the car..

1 week later, they called me to tell me that the xenon is 100% ok.. no issue (of course.. a new light unit costs 1.500CHF ) but they found the issue for the vibrations. It was a damage in the oilcooler from the DSG. So some cooling liquid from the engine went into the oil of the DSG and destroyed the 2 clutches and the mechatronic.

The DSG alone costs 7.000CHF and they found an issue with a bearing on the well. The first calculation was 2.500CHF for me.. But I told them that I`m not willing to pay after 2.000km with the car this amount.. 1 day after, they called me again and told me a different number and I agreed.

So.. currently I`m waiting for my car... After two months driving now 3 weeks without..Great..

Bought at Audi.. but this made no difference... Customer service 0, quality not better than from a privat person..Communication with dealy or no feedback...

I can tell you, this will be my last second hand car I will buy in switzerland. With two cars here the same bad experience... Not with my..

Sorry for the long text... and thanks for reading..

Andreas

The text you are quoting:

I will tell you  my experience with buying second hand cars here in switzerland.

Based on my kilometers per year, I`m used to change the cars each 2 up to 3 years. I germany, I never had any big issues to buy a second hand car.

So... in 2009, I decided to buy my first car here in switzerland. I bought a Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6 from a garage. They were nice, offered me a warranty over an insurance for 1 year. It was second hand, no accident ... Nice.

I made a deal with them. I could reduce the price a little bit and they should give the car to AMAG to make the big service.

End of the story... they made the service by themselve with the result, that they nearly "killed" the V6 TDI and I needed to bring the car to AMAG because of the dead engine...

After AMAG fixed it  I left to my winter holidays to germany. With the car, it was possible to drive 240km/h... What I did from time to time. I realized that I had some issues to stop the car. OK. 2 tons of car.. but the brakes should be ok.

Than in germany, I drove to a garage to have look and later they called me. "Someone" cutted the cable from the brake pads to the computer to avoid an error message in the cockpit of the car Yell

That means, I already bought the car with already finish breaks - knowing that I will use the car in german highways. Of course, I saw that I have to change in a couple of month the breaks but knowing that the car will tell me when...

So I made photos, changed the pads and after the holidays, I went to the garage and they never said something. They paied me the price for the pads..that`s all.

Later, I had a look in the documents for the warranty insurance and I saw that this insurance will end after 20.000km or one year.. Great.. I already drove 21.000km.. sh...t OK.. than I could identifiy that this car had an heavy accident.

Hm...the garage told me accident free. OK.. look into the contract.. Arg.. he didn`t fixed it the contract. I tried to get in contact with the garage but I never got a feedback.

Over the 1 year I drove the car, I paied 10.000CHF for repairs on the top of the sales price and I could only sold for 50% under the price I paied...

OK.. one expensive point more on the list..."What not do to again" Laughing

So I was looking for another car.. I spent days to check the swiss and german market for an Audi TT.

Finally I made the decision to buy in switzerland from a Audi Garage to get sure to get the best service etc. In total I had a look for 13 TT`s and I can tell you, it`s a mess what kind of cars the people offer to you. In the internet, they looked good, but in reality... No comments.

As mentioned before, I bought than my TT from an Audi garage close to the german border. Built 2004, 3.2 liter with the famous DGS ...

Reduce the price... no way .... not 5 franks...nothing.. OK, the offered my a "full" warranty by Quality 1 and I was suprised about this.. 100% ? Several time I asked the sales person and finaly he gave me some additional information AND... yes. 100% of the work but 70% of the parts.

I see, this guy is very good informed about the products he wants to sell..

Than he told me, that the DSG is new..changed 15tkm before but the service book is missing. No problem, he told me, you will get a new one. OK.. all services done by Audi... I couldn`t see here an issue..

Of course, I made a testdrive (only 20min) and I already could see that the break are dead. (We speak here about min. 1.800CHF for this car..).

The engine was nice, no strange noise, some scratches, leather ok, gearbox  not 100% smooth during transmission shift, but ok. If the gearbox is new..

I spoke with him after the testdrive about the breaks and he told me that they will make the MFK new and if they have to make the brakes new, they will do. Otherwise not..OK

End of the story, I got the car 1 week later with fresh brakes and new 2 years MFK. I started the engine the first time... PIEEEEEEEP. Light error. Oh know.. This car has xenon.

Back to the garage and they had a look and 15min later they told me that the electronic control box is the reason. I have to come back to change. I told them that they can send me the pieces and I will do. They accepted.

Than I left.... Was nice.. 250km back home with average consumptiopn of 7.6 liter with 250 PS ;-)

Than I got the new part for the lights and I bought before new xenon bulbs for 150CHF in germany to get sure, everything is fresh. I changed...but same issue.. Not each time I switched on the light.. but several times. OK I need a complete new light unit.. sh..t

But this issue.. I forgot over the time. But what I recognized very strong vibrations with each transmission shift..

OK, I have an insurance which covers all these things. I had a look what I would need.. hm.. ah. copy of the service book. Ok I went down to the car to have  a look. WOW. empty service book ? But the guy told me...

The day after I called the garage and I got as an answer, that he told me that they have no service book. I answered that he promised me to give me copy.. etc..

A couple of weeks later I got the service book with 1 entry.. done by ATU..that means.. no clear "Audi" history... I saw again my money flying away for the time I will sell my car... Ahh. not again such a bad story...like I had for the Skoda. Ande he sent me invoices from Audi about the new DSG. But what the hell ? They only changed the mechatronic and not the gearbox. Again one point more what is not in line, what the person told me..

The vibrations became more an more stronger and it was difficult to drive relaxt.

Than I decided to give the car back to the Audi garage where I bought it to have a look for the issue. Of course, they told me that I can give the car also to Audi Lausanne but I told them that I prefer that they should have a look.

Until this time, I drove only 2.000km and it was 2 months ago I bought the car. I already spend 1.500CHF for smaller urgent repairs... because of damages not covered by the insurance and the missing service book..

With nice vibrations and strange noise from the engine.. I drove 250km to the Audi garage. I can tell you that the testdrive with one person from the garage was sucessfull. He got scared to drive with the car..

1 week later, they called me to tell me that the xenon is 100% ok.. no issue (of course.. a new light unit costs 1.500CHF ) but they found the issue for the vibrations. It was a damage in the oilcooler from the DSG. So some cooling liquid from the engine went into the oil of the DSG and destroyed the 2 clutches and the mechatronic.

The DSG alone costs 7.000CHF and they found an issue with a bearing on the well. The first calculation was 2.500CHF for me.. But I told them that I`m not willing to pay after 2.000km with the car this amount.. 1 day after, they called me again and told me a different number and I agreed.

So.. currently I`m waiting for my car... After two months driving now 3 weeks without..Great..

Bought at Audi.. but this made no difference... Customer service 0, quality not better than from a privat person..Communication with dealy or no feedback...

I can tell you, this will be my last second hand car I will buy in switzerland. With two cars here the same bad experience... Not with my..

Sorry for the long text... and thanks for reading..

Andreas

Andreas LJun 25, 2011 @ 11:28
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

46 Replies | 15600 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: My experience with second hand cars from garages
Post 1

I saw that I made a lot of mistakes... SORRY...

I saw that I made a lot of mistakes... SORRY...

Andreas L, Jun 25, 2011 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Some experience..

..but, the cut brake indicator cable sounds like a safety problem and the police should have looked into who cut it? Assuming the police cares. 

Some experience..

..but, the cut brake indicator cable sounds like a safety problem and the police should have looked into who cut it? Assuming the police cares. 

FerneyL, Jun 25, 2011 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Yes..you`re right...

Some of my colleagues told me the same.

The garage told my 2009 that the owner before did it.. OF course..and the garage didn`t check the car...

I stopped to speak with the garage.. It was to stupid for me... They got the money and what happened later... who cares... ?

Yes..you`re right...

Some of my colleagues told me the same.

The garage told my 2009 that the owner before did it.. OF course..and the garage didn`t check the car...

I stopped to speak with the garage.. It was to stupid for me... They got the money and what happened later... who cares... ?

Andreas L, Jun 25, 2011 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Andreas thats one hell of a story man....  Im sure there are laws here to prevent you buying lemons from a garage... from private sales , obviously not, but one would hope a garage (esp a "Branded" one) has better morals/ service etc... 

car salesmen are car salesmen the world over it would seem... thieves and robbers everywhere .

So,,, was my TT you looked at one of the best or the worst? ;-)))))))))

Andreas thats one hell of a story man....  Im sure there are laws here to prevent you buying lemons from a garage... from private sales , obviously not, but one would hope a garage (esp a "Branded" one) has better morals/ service etc... 

car salesmen are car salesmen the world over it would seem... thieves and robbers everywhere .

So,,, was my TT you looked at one of the best or the worst? ;-)))))))))

Charlie, Jun 25, 2011 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hey Charlie,

I can show you my TT.. than you will find the answer ;-) 

Did you finaly sold the car or not ?

Of course there are some laws, but the same in germany.. They exist but to  "get them", it takes time, a lawer, a court and a lot of power....

Hey Charlie,

I can show you my TT.. than you will find the answer ;-) 

Did you finaly sold the car or not ?

Of course there are some laws, but the same in germany.. They exist but to  "get them", it takes time, a lawer, a court and a lot of power....

Andreas L, Jun 25, 2011 @ 12:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I still have my TT... love it so much I decided it would be a shame to sell.. I think I will only change it for a S5 Quattro or R8... New :-)))))))

(R8 obviously less practacle for the kids.... but ...a guy can dream..)

Good luck with the new one.... enjoy....

I still have my TT... love it so much I decided it would be a shame to sell.. I think I will only change it for a S5 Quattro or R8... New :-)))))))

(R8 obviously less practacle for the kids.... but ...a guy can dream..)

Good luck with the new one.... enjoy....

Charlie, Jun 25, 2011 @ 13:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I bought a second hand car @ Garage Juan Morros in Bienne...and they are very honest, no problem with the car...but it is rare.

I bought a second hand car @ Garage Juan Morros in Bienne...and they are very honest, no problem with the car...but it is rare.

TSATSA, Jun 25, 2011 @ 15:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

@Charlie

If you want... we can make your TT a little bit more shiny ;-) I have leather color, lotion, miscl. cleaners and other products also for the paint and the machine..

@TSATSA

I don`t want to say that all car dealers in switzerland are "bad boys" but what I can really see, that the second hand cars in germany are in a better shape than here in switzerland...

@Charlie

If you want... we can make your TT a little bit more shiny ;-) I have leather color, lotion, miscl. cleaners and other products also for the paint and the machine..

@TSATSA

I don`t want to say that all car dealers in switzerland are "bad boys" but what I can really see, that the second hand cars in germany are in a better shape than here in switzerland...

Andreas L, Jun 25, 2011 @ 15:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

This whole country is full of scam artists. 

Sam I, Sep 23, 2014 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Sep 23, 14 10:10

seriously! if someone makes you fool and proves you an idiot.  it doesn't mean you start blaming every one.  This country is not full of scam artis.  

seriously! if someone makes you fool and proves you an idiot.  it doesn't mean you start blaming every one.  This country is not full of scam artis.  

waqas s, Sep 23, 2014 @ 10:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

If that upsets you, why have you chosen “to make Geneva my home”?

Ritchie, Sep 23, 2014 @ 11:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Sep 23, 14 11:47

Money?

Money?

sheila c, Sep 23, 2014 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Ok...80CHF to change a tyre....thats for 5 mins work. 

800CHF to fit a dishwasher which I was told required a plumber and a joiner. 

Audi garage trying to overcharge me on a car by about 4000CHF. I later checked eurotaxglas.ch after taking the mileage and chassis number of the car and got the "real" price.

Go to a bar and ask for a G&T...they'll charge you 20CHF and no gin. 

Every clown in town is at it. When you call them out, they shrug and say "this is Switzerland".

The problem is that too many people (prolly guys like Ritchie and Waqas) accept this behaviour and let the locals get away with it. Man up and make the complaint, demand better service, call out the liars and do not accept inferior service. 

Audi garage trying to overcharge me on a car by about 4000CHF. I later checked eurotaxglas.ch after taking the mileage and chassis number of the car and got the "real" price.

Every clown in town is at it. When you call them out, they shrug and say "this is Switzerland".

The problem is that too many people (prolly guys like Ritchie and Waqas) accept this behaviour and let the locals get away with it. Man up and make the complaint, demand better service, call out the liars and do not accept inferior service. 

Sam I, Sep 23, 2014 @ 15:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Money?

Sep 23, 14 12:12

Absolutely. Don't tell me you're here because of your deep love for the Swiss?!

Sam I, Sep 23, 2014 @ 15:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Bought a second hand car with no problems at all.  Had it serviced regularly for around 8 years. Absolutely no complaints.

And then it got stolen - and not by French but by Lyonnais

Use mobility and other hire companies now

Bought a second hand car with no problems at all.  Had it serviced regularly for around 8 years. Absolutely no complaints.

And then it got stolen - and not by French but by Lyonnais

Use mobility and other hire companies now

Paul E, Sep 23, 2014 @ 15:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Sep 23, 14 15:07

Hi Sam

Ahhhhhhh but we don't live in CH, only close by, so can view everything impartially [perhaps]?

Hi Sam

Ahhhhhhh but we don't live in CH, only close by, so can view everything impartially [perhaps]?

sheila c, Sep 23, 2014 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Sep 23, 14 15:01

Cool down man! this is not the end of the world. Just try bit hard so that peope won't scam you. If someone asks you high price! bargain for it after all it is your hard earned money. 

I pay 30 chf for each of my two cars, Yes 30 CHF to change the tyres and wheel balancing(And my cars are pretty expensive and i don't let them charge me because of the value of my cars.). I know few people who pay upto 200 CHF for the same job and i am pretty sure it is not 5 mins job. 

800CHF to fit a dishwasher? really? I had problem with dishwasher. i called the regie and they were making the drama but i just kept pushing the regie and finally they changed me the dishwasher(I didn't pay a single penny). Two guys came to replace the dishwasher and took them not more than 45 mins to complete the job. 

It is normal the garage will overcharge you. if the price of the car is above 40K you can expect somewhere between 2k to 8K. This is how they make business. Don't expect they will sell you a car by making a profit of few hundreds. Nobody forces you to go for a overcharged price. Go to the car market,look for the car,search on the Internet. you will find lots of the car you are looking for. Once you find (Good deal) Make a visual inspection/test drive. Take it to TCS inspection. They will find possible problems with the car. if you are not still sure take it to the private garage. Ask them to inspect the car. I am pretty sure you will find all the possible problems and will give you an idea of the price and then discuss with the seller if it makes sens to both of the parties You can buy the car. It is not a rocket science. i will never ever believe on what car seller tells me and will never ever pay a single penny unless i am sure about the car. 

If i go to bar or whatever the place is and if i don't get what i asked for (i wont accept it) and moreover if i am being charged for it I will never ever ever pay for it. No matter what comes next!  

Always take your time and you will always get a good deal. All over the world you will find the same people who will try to rip you off.  But again it is not fair you start blaming everyone for few bad experiences in a country. 

Cool down man! this is not the end of the world. Just try bit hard so that peope won't scam you. If someone asks you high price! bargain for it after all it is your hard earned money. 

I pay 30 chf for each of my two cars, Yes 30 CHF to change the tyres and wheel balancing(And my cars are pretty expensive and i don't let them charge me because of the value of my cars.). I know few people who pay upto 200 CHF for the same job and i am pretty sure it is not 5 mins job. 

800CHF to fit a dishwasher? really? I had problem with dishwasher. i called the regie and they were making the drama but i just kept pushing the regie and finally they changed me the dishwasher(I didn't pay a single penny). Two guys came to replace the dishwasher and took them not more than 45 mins to complete the job. 

It is normal the garage will overcharge you. if the price of the car is above 40K you can expect somewhere between 2k to 8K. This is how they make business. Don't expect they will sell you a car by making a profit of few hundreds. Nobody forces you to go for a overcharged price. Go to the car market,look for the car,search on the Internet. you will find lots of the car you are looking for. Once you find (Good deal) Make a visual inspection/test drive. Take it to TCS inspection. They will find possible problems with the car. if you are not still sure take it to the private garage. Ask them to inspect the car. I am pretty sure you will find all the possible problems and will give you an idea of the price and then discuss with the seller if it makes sens to both of the parties You can buy the car. It is not a rocket science. i will never ever believe on what car seller tells me and will never ever pay a single penny unless i am sure about the car. 

If i go to bar or whatever the place is and if i don't get what i asked for (i wont accept it) and moreover if i am being charged for it I will never ever ever pay for it. No matter what comes next!  

Always take your time and you will always get a good deal. All over the world you will find the same people who will try to rip you off.  But again it is not fair you start blaming everyone for few bad experiences in a country. 

waqas s, Sep 23, 2014 @ 16:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Pretty good job to know the whole country within only a few months...  

Jack B, Sep 23, 2014 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hi Sam

Sep 23, 14 15:54

Hi Sheila...so here's another few examples of the rip off culture here. 

Insurance company demands payment on Sept 3 of 170 CHF by Sept 24. I get a reminder sent on Sept 19 asking for payment of 202 CHF by Sept 24. So I'm now being charged 32 CHF for a reminder letter BEFORE the actual payment date!!!! That is just plain theft. I phoned up and said I dont accept the charge. They told me that it was perfectly reasonable to send a reminder and legally I was unable to do anything. There lies the problem. The systematic ripping off of foreigners is backed by legal "loopholes". Should you have the audacity to challenge them, they can withold your pension, savings and freeze bank accounts. You just dont get this BS in the Anglo world. 

Just to make another point - regarding the entire banking system - you know, the industry that the Swiss value so highly to the point they put their bankers on a pedestal.

http://www.thelocal.ch/20130404/swiss-implicated-in-massive-offshore-tax-evasion

So I await Mr Ritchie and Waqas in explaining to me why they think they are not being scammed. But I'll tell you something. At least at the end of the year, I'll have a few more grand in my pocket than those two. 

Hi Sheila...so here's another few examples of the rip off culture here. 

Insurance company demands payment on Sept 3 of 170 CHF by Sept 24. I get a reminder sent on Sept 19 asking for payment of 202 CHF by Sept 24. So I'm now being charged 32 CHF for a reminder letter BEFORE the actual payment date!!!! That is just plain theft. I phoned up and said I dont accept the charge. They told me that it was perfectly reasonable to send a reminder and legally I was unable to do anything. There lies the problem. The systematic ripping off of foreigners is backed by legal "loopholes". Should you have the audacity to challenge them, they can withold your pension, savings and freeze bank accounts. You just dont get this BS in the Anglo world. 

Just to make another point - regarding the entire banking system - you know, the industry that the Swiss value so highly to the point they put their bankers on a pedestal.

http://www.thelocal.ch/20130404/swiss-implicated-in-massive-offshore-tax-evasion

So I await Mr Ritchie and Waqas in explaining to me why they think they are not being scammed. But I'll tell you something. At least at the end of the year, I'll have a few more grand in my pocket than those two. 

Sam I, Sep 23, 2014 @ 16:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Sep 23, 14 17:01

It was hyperbole. You know...to exaggerate the commentv for effect. Don't take it literally. Now, judging from your response you appear to disagree with me. So why not contribute with a more constructive comment?

It was hyperbole. You know...to exaggerate the commentv for effect. Don't take it literally. Now, judging from your response you appear to disagree with me. So why not contribute with a more constructive comment?

Sam I, Sep 23, 2014 @ 17:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

My sympathies to Andreas, that's all pretty sh*t.

As this thread seems to be more about the rip-off than the cars I can tell you that I lived in central Swiss for a year before coming to Geneva. Both places are very expensive (a result of high wages) but the difference in that part of the country is that you actually get real customer service. The tradesmen (and women) really take pride in their work and are as honest as you'll find, anywhere.

I've had enough of Geneva and the 'couldn't care less' attitude, the litter, the crime, the dogs sh*t and the awful standard of living (general quality of accommodation) here and am moving back to the centre.

As this thread seems to be more about the rip-off than the cars I can tell you that I lived in central Swiss for a year before coming to Geneva. Both places are very expensive (a result of high wages) but the difference in that part of the country is that you actually get real customer service. The tradesmen (and women) really take pride in their work and are as honest as you'll find, anywhere.

I've had enough of Geneva and the 'couldn't care less' attitude, the litter, the crime, the dogs sh*t and the awful standard of living (general quality of accommodation) here and am moving back to the centre.

David Lloyd, Sep 23, 2014 @ 18:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Sep 23, 14 18:25

Bravo David!

Look out Nidwalden..... here he comes!

Bravo David!

sheila c, Sep 23, 2014 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Sep 23, 14 15:01

You know what,

it isn’t Geneva that is need of  your considerable pontificating talent in assessing a country and its residents (not all of whom are Swiss) in a matter of a few weeks but rather your own dear bonny native land and most especially

at Holyrood, perhaps as the dauphin to the successor of that man … oh, dear me, I’ve forgotten his name already  but you know who I mean, the chap who lost a referendum recently.  After all, they do say that charity begins at home.

However, if making a few grand over-rides your better judgement and you opt to grin, bear it and even stay long enough to want a red and white passport, your “grande gueule” will make you an excellent candidate for Genevan citizenship.

Prollily yours, R.

You know what,

it isn’t Geneva that is need of  your considerable pontificating talent in assessing a country and its residents (not all of whom are Swiss) in a matter of a few weeks but rather your own dear bonny native land and most especially

at Holyrood, perhaps as the dauphin to the successor of that man … oh, dear me, I’ve forgotten his name already  but you know who I mean, the chap who lost a referendum recently.  After all, they do say that charity begins at home.

However, if making a few grand over-rides your better judgement and you opt to grin, bear it and even stay long enough to want a red and white passport, your “grande gueule” will make you an excellent candidate for Genevan citizenship.

Prollily yours, R.

Ritchie, Sep 23, 2014 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Bravo David!

Sep 23, 14 19:00

Obwalden actually. Better views up there

Cool

Obwalden actually. Better views up there

Cool

David Lloyd, Sep 23, 2014 @ 21:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Good for you, Sheila.  You weren’t far out.

R.

Good for you, Sheila.  You weren’t far out.

R.

Ritchie, Sep 23, 2014 @ 22:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

So, I sort of sympathise with Andreas but admit to falling asleep half way through his post (I'm not a "car person" in spite of just having bought one) but he doesn't seem to have learned from his mistakes so I totally agree with what Waqas says.....

However, I also agree with Sam (to a degree...although amusing that he left "Rip Off Britain" to only find the same in Switzerland and STILL complain!!).....

The "problem" with the Swiss (as a massive stereotypical judgement and I apologise to my Swiss friends in advance) is that they seem to have a culture of "but you didn't ask" and they don't offer information freely but are still happy to take your money freely.

I sort of admire them for that.  Being Scots, I have to call it "canny".  However, I have found that, if you challenge them, they are usually honest and ready to admit they've made a mistake (or more often, you've made a mistake!!).

There are some that would say "but, you shouldn't HAVE to challenge them" but that's life, my friends and it's just the way they are.

For example, my credit card snapped in two when I put it in the machine at the Coop a couple of weeks ago.  I called and told them the situation and they replaced it within 3 days.  I then found a charge of CHF25 on my monthly statement "replacement card fee".

I called them up to "discuss" - to be told that "we always charge for a replacement card" until I explained that it hadn't been lost or stolen, so they must have issued me a defective card just to snap in two and they agreed to credit the CHF25 back to me.

Ditto - my car insurance.  I was supposed to get a 15% discount through my work - the bill came through - couldn't make the sums add up so I called them to find that the 15% hadn't been applied and they sent a new invoice within 24 hours minus 15%.

I don't think they're "scam artists" more than anywhere else in the world - it's just a case of reading the small print and being careful what you're signing up for.

Like anywhere else in the world.  We live in an fiscal society so I certainly don't mind paying a bit "over the odds" to get the opportunity to live in a beautiful country where "the best things in life are free" (mountains, fresh air and swimming in the lake to name just 3).

I got ripped off far more in the UK far more than I ever have here.   Don't even get me going on cancelled gym memberships, mobile phone contracts, British Gas, tenants rights and council tax!! Cry

So, I sort of sympathise with Andreas but admit to falling asleep half way through his post (I'm not a "car person" in spite of just having bought one) but he doesn't seem to have learned from his mistakes so I totally agree with what Waqas says.....

However, I also agree with Sam (to a degree...although amusing that he left "Rip Off Britain" to only find the same in Switzerland and STILL complain!!).....

The "problem" with the Swiss (as a massive stereotypical judgement and I apologise to my Swiss friends in advance) is that they seem to have a culture of "but you didn't ask" and they don't offer information freely but are still happy to take your money freely.

I sort of admire them for that.  Being Scots, I have to call it "canny".  However, I have found that, if you challenge them, they are usually honest and ready to admit they've made a mistake (or more often, you've made a mistake!!).

There are some that would say "but, you shouldn't HAVE to challenge them" but that's life, my friends and it's just the way they are.

For example, my credit card snapped in two when I put it in the machine at the Coop a couple of weeks ago.  I called and told them the situation and they replaced it within 3 days.  I then found a charge of CHF25 on my monthly statement "replacement card fee".

I called them up to "discuss" - to be told that "we always charge for a replacement card" until I explained that it hadn't been lost or stolen, so they must have issued me a defective card just to snap in two and they agreed to credit the CHF25 back to me.

Ditto - my car insurance.  I was supposed to get a 15% discount through my work - the bill came through - couldn't make the sums add up so I called them to find that the 15% hadn't been applied and they sent a new invoice within 24 hours minus 15%.

I don't think they're "scam artists" more than anywhere else in the world - it's just a case of reading the small print and being careful what you're signing up for.

Like anywhere else in the world.  We live in an fiscal society so I certainly don't mind paying a bit "over the odds" to get the opportunity to live in a beautiful country where "the best things in life are free" (mountains, fresh air and swimming in the lake to name just 3).

I got ripped off far more in the UK far more than I ever have here.   Don't even get me going on cancelled gym memberships, mobile phone contracts, British Gas, tenants rights and council tax!! Cry

Carolyn C, Sep 23, 2014 @ 23:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

You know what,

Prollily yours, R.

Sep 23, 14 18:17

No idea why you bring Salmond and the referendum into this thread but if you're trying to goad me into an anti English rant...you nearly managed but alas failed. 

I absolutely will not "grin and bear" being ripped off by restauranteurs, barmen, banks, insurers, taxi drivers, shop keepers etc. Your advice is terrible. 

No idea why you bring Salmond and the referendum into this thread but if you're trying to goad me into an anti English rant...you nearly managed but alas failed. 

I absolutely will not "grin and bear" being ripped off by restauranteurs, barmen, banks, insurers, taxi drivers, shop keepers etc. Your advice is terrible. 

Sam I, Sep 24, 2014 @ 10:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Sep 23, 14 17:17

It surprises me that you have had so many bad experiences. Hard to believe that this is Geneva or Switzerland related. I live here since many years and I didn't had more bad experiences than other countries where I lived (Holland, Germany). The only thing what I learned here is the 'grande gueule', as already mentioned by Ritchie. This will certainly help you in one of your future problems. And of course a bit of French.

It surprises me that you have had so many bad experiences. Hard to believe that this is Geneva or Switzerland related. I live here since many years and I didn't had more bad experiences than other countries where I lived (Holland, Germany). The only thing what I learned here is the 'grande gueule', as already mentioned by Ritchie. This will certainly help you in one of your future problems. And of course a bit of French.

Jack B, Sep 24, 2014 @ 11:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Sep 24, 14 11:00

Thank you for your comment.

A few weeks back, I wanted to purchase two pairs of trousers. I asked the shop assistant if I could return the items if they did not fit. She said yes – no problem. A few days later, I tried to return one pair and was told by the very same shop assistant that it was store policy – no returns, no credit notes and no exchanges. I looked at her straight and said “but you told me not 3 days ago I could return these.” “No I did not – you are mistaken” said the assistant. A bare faced lie. No remorse, no guilt, no shame whatsoever. So I feel like I’ve been scammed by the shop girl out of 160CHF.

I clicked on this thread because having had several bad experiences so far – and I’m about to buy a car – I wanted to read about other people’s experience. I read Andreas’ story and I feel very bad for him.

And to be honest…I am bricking it at the thought of buying a car from a second hand dealer in Switzerland. As a few of the lads in my office say “the less transactions you make here the better”.         

A few weeks back, I wanted to purchase two pairs of trousers. I asked the shop assistant if I could return the items if they did not fit. She said yes – no problem. A few days later, I tried to return one pair and was told by the very same shop assistant that it was store policy – no returns, no credit notes and no exchanges. I looked at her straight and said “but you told me not 3 days ago I could return these.” “No I did not – you are mistaken” said the assistant. A bare faced lie. No remorse, no guilt, no shame whatsoever. So I feel like I’ve been scammed by the shop girl out of 160CHF.

I clicked on this thread because having had several bad experiences so far – and I’m about to buy a car – I wanted to read about other people’s experience. I read Andreas’ story and I feel very bad for him.

And to be honest…I am bricking it at the thought of buying a car from a second hand dealer in Switzerland. As a few of the lads in my office say “the less transactions you make here the better”.         

Sam I, Sep 24, 2014 @ 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

caveat emptor  Cry

caveat emptor  Cry

epicure, Sep 24, 2014 @ 11:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Sep 24, 14 11:29

Sam,

Could it be a language issue? I know that the majority of shop assistants have a pretty poor level of English. Or do you speak French?

When you don't speak French, the possibility to be cheated is much bigger.  And don't forget an important thing, many people and companies still believe in a very old rule: 

English speaker  =  expat  = big salary

Sam,

Could it be a language issue? I know that the majority of shop assistants have a pretty poor level of English. Or do you speak French?

When you don't speak French, the possibility to be cheated is much bigger.  And don't forget an important thing, many people and companies still believe in a very old rule: 

Jack B, Sep 24, 2014 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Sam,

Sep 24, 14 11:50

Admittedly, I do not speak French. I am learning but very slowly. However, most people, especially the young, appear to have a decent command of English. AS for the shop girl, there was no way she did not understand my initial questions on returns. 

Anyway...I'll now be ultra careful in any transaction I enter into. 

Thank you for your comments. 

Admittedly, I do not speak French. I am learning but very slowly. However, most people, especially the young, appear to have a decent command of English. AS for the shop girl, there was no way she did not understand my initial questions on returns. 

Anyway...I'll now be ultra careful in any transaction I enter into. 

Thank you for your comments. 

Sam I, Sep 24, 2014 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Sam,

Sep 24, 14 11:50

I think the "lack of French excuse" is a very poor excuse and a total cop-out for bad service.

Andreas, the original poster, is German, and is buying his car in Zurich - there was never going to be any language problem there.

Bad service is bad service in any language.  

I also think (Sorry Jack B - I'm not having a go at you, personally!) English speaker = expat = big salary, is a cop-out, as there are 1000's of English speaking people in Switzerland who are local hires on local salaries (moi, for a start).  

Maybe it's just worse in Geneva where there are so many transient expats, C.D. & NGO people throwing their attitude and their money around, that the "locals" are just fed-up with us all.....Frown

I think the "lack of French excuse" is a very poor excuse and a total cop-out for bad service.

Andreas, the original poster, is German, and is buying his car in Zurich - there was never going to be any language problem there.

I also think (Sorry Jack B - I'm not having a go at you, personally!) English speaker = expat = big salary, is a cop-out, as there are 1000's of English speaking people in Switzerland who are local hires on local salaries (moi, for a start).  

Maybe it's just worse in Geneva where there are so many transient expats, C.D. & NGO people throwing their attitude and their money around, that the "locals" are just fed-up with us all.....Frown

Carolyn C, Sep 24, 2014 @ 13:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Sep 24, 14 13:01

I replied to Sam and not to the original poster.

And about the, so called, cop-out, I didn't wrote it as a fact, but as something what some people/companies still believe. Don't worry, I know better Smile

And about the, so called, cop-out, I didn't wrote it as a fact, but as something what some people/companies still believe. Don't worry, I know better Smile

Jack B, Sep 24, 2014 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

Sep 24, 14 13:21

I know, Jack - that's why I said it wasn't "personal" to yourself.  

But I do tire of people (usually expats who have mastered the language, generally NOT the locals!!) using it as a cop-out.  

Along the lines of "oh! you haven't got your French up to scratch yet?   No WONDER you're getting bad service".  

Drives me NUTS!!

Along with "oh - you and your expat salaries, you can afford it, what's the big deal?....."

Yell

I know, Jack - that's why I said it wasn't "personal" to yourself.  

But I do tire of people (usually expats who have mastered the language, generally NOT the locals!!) using it as a cop-out.  

Along the lines of "oh! you haven't got your French up to scratch yet?   No WONDER you're getting bad service".  

Drives me NUTS!!

Along with "oh - you and your expat salaries, you can afford it, what's the big deal?....."

Yell

Carolyn C, Sep 24, 2014 @ 13:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Sep 24, 14 11:29

Regarding your trouser purchase:  first, what was written/stamped on the till receipt – normal practice is “returns only within … days” or “no returns/exchanges/credit notes”.  If this was missing, then the shop is iffy.

What’s more, why didn’t you ask to see the assistant’s boss or someone from the management?  You simply accepted her “bare-faced lie” and walked out?

Regarding your trouser purchase:  first, what was written/stamped on the till receipt – normal practice is “returns only within … days” or “no returns/exchanges/credit notes”.  If this was missing, then the shop is iffy.

What’s more, why didn’t you ask to see the assistant’s boss or someone from the management?  You simply accepted her “bare-faced lie” and walked out?

Ritchie, Sep 24, 2014 @ 13:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Sep 24, 14 10:44

My advice may be terrible but I have been an expat for most of my life and have never been ripped off to the extent you mention in Geneva, elsewhere in CH, or indeed any other place where I’ve lived, worked, or merely visited, even in times and situations when I could barely manage to pronounce “hello” in the local lingo.

My advice may be terrible but I have been an expat for most of my life and have never been ripped off to the extent you mention in Geneva, elsewhere in CH, or indeed any other place where I’ve lived, worked, or merely visited, even in times and situations when I could barely manage to pronounce “hello” in the local lingo.

Ritchie, Sep 24, 2014 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

I am planning to see a used car this week at a garage, so I did a little googling and ended up here. Oh dear, I think I will take the car to a mechanic for a thorough inspection. 

There were many instances where the "honest" Swiss tried to scam me. The most outrageous one was when I got a bill from the landlord for having my dishwasher repaired. Except, it was not my dishwasher, but somebody else's as I found it by calling the phone numbere on the bill. It took months to convince the landlord they made a mistake. In the end they never apologised for their mistake. 

I am planning to see a used car this week at a garage, so I did a little googling and ended up here. Oh dear, I think I will take the car to a mechanic for a thorough inspection. 

There were many instances where the "honest" Swiss tried to scam me. The most outrageous one was when I got a bill from the landlord for having my dishwasher repaired. Except, it was not my dishwasher, but somebody else's as I found it by calling the phone numbere on the bill. It took months to convince the landlord they made a mistake. In the end they never apologised for their mistake. 

Shamil S, Apr 11, 2018 @ 22:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

When you buy a second hand car, always have it checked!

You can bring the car to the TCS, they have an inspection service for this: https://www.tcs.ch/fr/cours-controles-techniques/controles-vehicules/test-occasion.php

You can bring the car to the TCS, they have an inspection service for this: https://www.tcs.ch/fr/cours-controles-techniques/controles-vehicules/test-occasion.php

TheOmegaMan, Apr 13, 2018 @ 19:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Sep 24, 14 14:09

As far as I am concerned your advice is never terrible Ritchie - always given based on a long sojourn in the country. Keep going !!

As far as I am concerned your advice is never terrible Ritchie - always given based on a long sojourn in the country. Keep going !!

Jeffery S, Apr 15, 2018 @ 12:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Apr 13, 18 19:41

OmegaMan is abosolutely correct with his advise.  Do yourself a favor when you are considering purchasing the car, tell the seller that you want to take the car for an inspection with TCS.  You will quickly see the reaction from the seller whether the car is solid and sound or whether there is some problem that they are trying to avoid.

The seller will react one of three ways:

"My garage/garagist has already inspected the car throughly and found no problem, so no need for you to take it to TCS. (Big Red Flag)

Or,

"Certainly, no problem. Good idea."

Or,

"I've already taken it to TCS and these are the problems they found." (Very rare to find) 

TCS will do a through inspection on all aspects of the car and provide you with a detailed report, will worth the money.

And after you purchase your car I would suggest to you to become a member of TCS, especially if you are planning on touring around Switzerland or Europe with your new wheels. They have alliances with every country in Europe for road side assistance.

OmegaMan is abosolutely correct with his advise.  Do yourself a favor when you are considering purchasing the car, tell the seller that you want to take the car for an inspection with TCS.  You will quickly see the reaction from the seller whether the car is solid and sound or whether there is some problem that they are trying to avoid.

The seller will react one of three ways:

"My garage/garagist has already inspected the car throughly and found no problem, so no need for you to take it to TCS. (Big Red Flag)

Or,

"Certainly, no problem. Good idea."

Or,

"I've already taken it to TCS and these are the problems they found." (Very rare to find) 

TCS will do a through inspection on all aspects of the car and provide you with a detailed report, will worth the money.

And after you purchase your car I would suggest to you to become a member of TCS, especially if you are planning on touring around Switzerland or Europe with your new wheels. They have alliances with every country in Europe for road side assistance.

john m, Apr 19, 2018 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

You can actually have the car checked by the TCS after you buy it. They'll provide you with a report containing all the inspected points and whatever needs fixing. Then you go back to the garage that sold you the car and have these points repaired for free, as they are vices cachées (hidden flaws).

Very well worth the time and money (the TCS inspection costs 250 CHF for non-members, 140 CHF for members, which is why is a good idea to join the TCS as you'll also get free road assistance).

Concerning buying the used car, you can get some good bargain from expats that are going to relocate to another continent and need to sell their car real quickly. On the other hand, it's going to be almost impossible to force them to pay should the car need any fix. This is why personally I prefer to buy from local garages -- the extra price is worth the peace of mind. 

You can actually have the car checked by the TCS after you buy it. They'll provide you with a report containing all the inspected points and whatever needs fixing. Then you go back to the garage that sold you the car and have these points repaired for free, as they are vices cachées (hidden flaws).

Very well worth the time and money (the TCS inspection costs 250 CHF for non-members, 140 CHF for members, which is why is a good idea to join the TCS as you'll also get free road assistance).

Concerning buying the used car, you can get some good bargain from expats that are going to relocate to another continent and need to sell their car real quickly. On the other hand, it's going to be almost impossible to force them to pay should the car need any fix. This is why personally I prefer to buy from local garages -- the extra price is worth the peace of mind. 

TheOmegaMan, Apr 29, 2018 @ 12:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

Is it your own experience or have you heard from others that is easy to make the seller pay for the "vices cachées"?? I would have thought that it won't be so easy to make them accept to pay for the repairs once you have already payed the car in full ... Personally I would not risk it and go with the TCS inspection before paying for the car.

Is it your own experience or have you heard from others that is easy to make the seller pay for the "vices cachées"?? I would have thought that it won't be so easy to make them accept to pay for the repairs once you have already payed the car in full ... Personally I would not risk it and go with the TCS inspection before paying for the car.

ajimenezp, Apr 29, 2018 @ 23:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Shamil, I don't know if you have already bought the car, since it has been 3 weeks since you posted. But, from experience, listen to the others' advice and take the car for an inspection at TCS.

Never mind the cost. It is worth it. Not only will you become aware of any hidden problems, but the assessment they give you will enable you to negotiate the price. If there is nothing wrong with it, you will still learn what the state of different parts is, and, inevitably with a used car, some will need replacement or repair in the not too distant future. You can negotiate with the seller with concrete arguments and lower the price for at least the cost of the TCS evaluation. And needed repairs in the next few months will not take you by surprise.

Shamil, I don't know if you have already bought the car, since it has been 3 weeks since you posted. But, from experience, listen to the others' advice and take the car for an inspection at TCS.

Never mind the cost. It is worth it. Not only will you become aware of any hidden problems, but the assessment they give you will enable you to negotiate the price. If there is nothing wrong with it, you will still learn what the state of different parts is, and, inevitably with a used car, some will need replacement or repair in the not too distant future. You can negotiate with the seller with concrete arguments and lower the price for at least the cost of the TCS evaluation. And needed repairs in the next few months will not take you by surprise.

JR M, May 1, 2018 @ 10:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

Ajimenezp,

When you buy a used car you get a warranty up to 2 years: https://www.frc.ch/garantie-des-defauts-lors-dachat-doccasions/

In my case, the TCS inspection revealed a little malfunction in the onboard computer. I brought the car back to the garage and had this glitch fixed for free. I highly doubt that they would had let me bring the car to the TCS before buying it...

Anyway, to avoid surprises, I'd recommend to buy from large garages, as they tend to care more about their reputation.

Ajimenezp,

When you buy a used car you get a warranty up to 2 years: https://www.frc.ch/garantie-des-defauts-lors-dachat-doccasions/

In my case, the TCS inspection revealed a little malfunction in the onboard computer. I brought the car back to the garage and had this glitch fixed for free. I highly doubt that they would had let me bring the car to the TCS before buying it...

Anyway, to avoid surprises, I'd recommend to buy from large garages, as they tend to care more about their reputation.

TheOmegaMan, May 5, 2018 @ 15:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

This country somehow entertains scammers am sorry to say in most dealings . Unless you have deep pockets you can't experience it as you will use the cash to.

This country somehow entertains scammers am sorry to say in most dealings . Unless you have deep pockets you can't experience it as you will use the cash to.

Stephen M, Nov 7, 2018 @ 17:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
46 Replies | 15600 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form