Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Need proof of pre-booked accommodation for entire 6 months to get work permit (Australian)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Need proof of pre-booked accommodation for entire 6 months to get work permit (Australian)

I am an Australian citizen and have been offered a consultant contract by WHO in Geneva initially for 6 months and am just applying for my work visa through the Swiss Consulate in Sydney.  They are requesting proof of pre-booked accommodation for the entire stay - but I was planning on finding something through a regie for which I need a carte de legitimation (which I can't apply for until my the first day of work) and need to actually be in the country.  Are there any Australians that have managed this request from the Swiss consulate previously?  Or does anyone else have any advice?

The text you are quoting:

I am an Australian citizen and have been offered a consultant contract by WHO in Geneva initially for 6 months and am just applying for my work visa through the Swiss Consulate in Sydney.  They are requesting proof of pre-booked accommodation for the entire stay - but I was planning on finding something through a regie for which I need a carte de legitimation (which I can't apply for until my the first day of work) and need to actually be in the country.  Are there any Australians that have managed this request from the Swiss consulate previously?  Or does anyone else have any advice?

Andrew FergusonJan 16, 2018 @ 22:21
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 923 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Need proof of pre-booked accommodation for entire 6 months to get work permit (Australian)
Post 1

Hello. I sublet my studio near the Aussi embassy in Grand Saconnex. Contact me through e-mail (private). I may have a solution for you.

Josef

Hello. I sublet my studio near the Aussi embassy in Grand Saconnex. Contact me through e-mail (private). I may have a solution for you.

Josef

Josef X, Jan 17, 2018 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Need proof of pre-booked accommodation for entire 6 months to get work permit (Australian)
Post 2

Did  you ask those who gave you the contract at the WHO for help and advice? Their HR department does this all the time, has done it for years and know exactly what to do. At the very least, they will advice you how to proceed, if not help you with the process.

Is there a reason you are "applying for my work visa through the Swiss Consulate in Sydney"? That is the worst place to do it and you probably ended up with an uninformed, overworked consulate staff person. They rarely have to do with requests from consultants for Geneva-based international organizations. While I do not know the details, I have friends who come and do short term consultancies for UN organizations in Geneva, and it is pretty simple. In fact, for a 6 term consultancy and if you are based in Australia, where you are registered as a professional, you may not even need a "work visa."

Did  you ask those who gave you the contract at the WHO for help and advice? Their HR department does this all the time, has done it for years and know exactly what to do. At the very least, they will advice you how to proceed, if not help you with the process.

Is there a reason you are "applying for my work visa through the Swiss Consulate in Sydney"? That is the worst place to do it and you probably ended up with an uninformed, overworked consulate staff person. They rarely have to do with requests from consultants for Geneva-based international organizations. While I do not know the details, I have friends who come and do short term consultancies for UN organizations in Geneva, and it is pretty simple. In fact, for a 6 term consultancy and if you are based in Australia, where you are registered as a professional, you may not even need a "work visa."

JR M, Jan 18, 2018 @ 16:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 923 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form