Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > New google+ community to help us all

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New google+ community to help us all

Hi everyone,

I am looking for your opinions and help.

I have created a new community called “Personal Finance for Expats” on google+. The idea is to help you find advice for any money matter irrespective of how big or small it is. Maybe you’ve heard some financial jargon or investment advice and not sure what it means then, if so, please come and ask.

I am also interested in any specific financial subjects that you may wish to know more about. Past articles I’ve written on include pension changes following the UK budget 2014 and how it affect you, QROPS pension transfer benefits and pension liberation. Any suggestions would be fully appreciated.

I would hope this community will allow people to speak out on all matters of finance that interest them or that they are unsure on. It’s a discussion forum for all. What are peoples opinions on this? What would entice you to join in and contribute?

All questions welcomed. After all, the more informed we become the better.

I believe finance is a more private matter than what is usually discussed here. As such, by providing a separate site I’d hope everyone would feel comfortable enough to open up.

Thanks for reading this post.

Don

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

I am looking for your opinions and help.

I have created a new community called “Personal Finance for Expats” on google+. The idea is to help you find advice for any money matter irrespective of how big or small it is. Maybe you’ve heard some financial jargon or investment advice and not sure what it means then, if so, please come and ask.

I am also interested in any specific financial subjects that you may wish to know more about. Past articles I’ve written on include pension changes following the UK budget 2014 and how it affect you, QROPS pension transfer benefits and pension liberation. Any suggestions would be fully appreciated.

I would hope this community will allow people to speak out on all matters of finance that interest them or that they are unsure on. It’s a discussion forum for all. What are peoples opinions on this? What would entice you to join in and contribute?

All questions welcomed. After all, the more informed we become the better.

I believe finance is a more private matter than what is usually discussed here. As such, by providing a separate site I’d hope everyone would feel comfortable enough to open up.

Thanks for reading this post.

Don

Don MApr 18, 2014 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 999 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New google+ community to help us all
Post 1

Are there still people sing Google+? Really?

Are there still people sing Google+? Really?

Ines E, Apr 18, 2014 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

What other medium/source would you suggest?

Don M, Apr 19, 2014 @ 13:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Apr 19, 14 13:24

a LinkedIn page/group, maybe?  Or a dedicated forum/blog, where people can submit contributions.

a LinkedIn page/group, maybe?  Or a dedicated forum/blog, where people can submit contributions.

Ines E, Apr 19, 2014 @ 14:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks for the linkedin group option. I have considered this, fb, google+, & a new forum. Google+ definitely appears to offer the best solution. Although not as big as facebook (135 million active users vs 1+ billion on fb) it's more informative than social which is a good point. A linkedin group doesn't seem to offer as much functionality by comparison.

I am aiming to hit a critical mass in whichever medium I use so that hopefully members will contribute disucssion topics and answers in the same way as happens here. 

I may try running 2 group (linkedin & google+) concurrently to see which one is more successful. A linkedin page is not the right option but a linkedin group may very well be. 

Moving on, what topics would be of interest to people?

Thanks for the linkedin group option. I have considered this, fb, google+, & a new forum. Google+ definitely appears to offer the best solution. Although not as big as facebook (135 million active users vs 1+ billion on fb) it's more informative than social which is a good point. A linkedin group doesn't seem to offer as much functionality by comparison.

I am aiming to hit a critical mass in whichever medium I use so that hopefully members will contribute disucssion topics and answers in the same way as happens here. 

I may try running 2 group (linkedin & google+) concurrently to see which one is more successful. A linkedin page is not the right option but a linkedin group may very well be. 

Moving on, what topics would be of interest to people?

Don M, Apr 19, 2014 @ 16:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Personally, I have been looking for some resources analogous to Bogleheads (link) and Mr. Money Mustache (blog, forum) but for Europe (even better, Switzerland) because they are strongly targeted at a US audience.

For example, I know many (at least, many financially literate) Americans swear by Vanguard and similar "low-cost" index funds, but what's the equivalent in Switzerland?

(I know Vanguard also exists here, but it's more expensive and I'm not at all informed about the alternatives)

Case in point, I have money sitting in the bank (which is a waste, inflation soundly outpaces the meagre UBS interests rate) and I'm trying to educate myself to decide what to do with it.

Personally, I have been looking for some resources analogous to Bogleheads (link) and Mr. Money Mustache (blog, forum) but for Europe (even better, Switzerland) because they are strongly targeted at a US audience.

For example, I know many (at least, many financially literate) Americans swear by Vanguard and similar "low-cost" index funds, but what's the equivalent in Switzerland?

(I know Vanguard also exists here, but it's more expensive and I'm not at all informed about the alternatives)

Case in point, I have money sitting in the bank (which is a waste, inflation soundly outpaces the meagre UBS interests rate) and I'm trying to educate myself to decide what to do with it.

Paul D, Apr 19, 2014 @ 18:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey Paul, 

It sounds that you, not unlike a lot of us, are not very familiar with investment products and possibilities (btw. Vanguard is only one promotor of "index funds" or ETFs and as far as I know not many of its European funds are registered in Switzerland - which funds need to be for you to be able to invest).

But if you´re already an UBS client, I would suggest that as a first step you consult them. Because apart from being a bank UBS is also one of the biggest investment platforms not only Switzerland but in Europe. They distribute most investment funds registered in SWitzerland and should therefore be able to give you at least a first insight in various investment products, their performances, fee structures and most importantly what would be suitable for you. Then you can still decide whether you want to invest via UBS or look out for other opportunities.  

Hope that helps! Happy Easter, 

Birgit

Hey Paul, 

It sounds that you, not unlike a lot of us, are not very familiar with investment products and possibilities (btw. Vanguard is only one promotor of "index funds" or ETFs and as far as I know not many of its European funds are registered in Switzerland - which funds need to be for you to be able to invest).

But if you´re already an UBS client, I would suggest that as a first step you consult them. Because apart from being a bank UBS is also one of the biggest investment platforms not only Switzerland but in Europe. They distribute most investment funds registered in SWitzerland and should therefore be able to give you at least a first insight in various investment products, their performances, fee structures and most importantly what would be suitable for you. Then you can still decide whether you want to invest via UBS or look out for other opportunities.  

Hope that helps! Happy Easter, 

Birgit

birgitm, Apr 20, 2014 @ 10:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

As a general rule of thumb, I would never sit with a bank consultant unless you pay him for the advice he/she gives you and you are not selling products from him/her. If they get paid by the provisions of selling the products, many will not sell you the product, that is best for you!

Indeed I think that having ETFs is the best strategy. Whatever risk one takes, there is at least one ETF for all kinds of purposes.

As a general rule of thumb, I would never sit with a bank consultant unless you pay him for the advice he/she gives you and you are not selling products from him/her. If they get paid by the provisions of selling the products, many will not sell you the product, that is best for you!

Indeed I think that having ETFs is the best strategy. Whatever risk one takes, there is at least one ETF for all kinds of purposes.

Norman E, Apr 20, 2014 @ 12:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks all for the advice on the topic. I'll look to create something along the lines of options available for investing and their associated costs, what to look out for etc.

As an example, should you hold money in a brokerage account, with all the investments in direct stocks/shares or low cost ETFs? Is this the cheapest option. What are the tax implications? Could an apparently more expensive option work out cheaper? Is the lowest cost investment always best or is paying more a sign of a good investment? (actually neither, as life isn't that simple).

What if someone wants advice? What are the options? Typically, someone who can advise across the whole of market is a better option than someone who is tied (i.e. a bank may only be able to offer bank products)? Does paying for advice mean that it is impartial?

Thanks all for the advice on the topic. I'll look to create something along the lines of options available for investing and their associated costs, what to look out for etc.

As an example, should you hold money in a brokerage account, with all the investments in direct stocks/shares or low cost ETFs? Is this the cheapest option. What are the tax implications? Could an apparently more expensive option work out cheaper? Is the lowest cost investment always best or is paying more a sign of a good investment? (actually neither, as life isn't that simple).

What if someone wants advice? What are the options? Typically, someone who can advise across the whole of market is a better option than someone who is tied (i.e. a bank may only be able to offer bank products)? Does paying for advice mean that it is impartial?

Don M, Apr 20, 2014 @ 18:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 999 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form