Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > New to CH, getting bank account - single or joint?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
New to CH, getting bank account - single or joint?

I am moving to Geneva for work and will want to open a bank account. My spouse will initially not be working. I am trying to understand pros and cons of opening a joint account rather than an individual account.

-If only I have an employment contract, can my wife be a joint account holder?

-Would it help her in any way to be a joint account holder? Could she easily open a separate account without having employment?

-Are there other considerations that should guide us in whether she gets an account at all?

Also, if anyone has recommendations regarding best banks to approach I'd be grateful - lowest fees and easy online management would be my priorities, followed potentially by any advantages you get such as better savings interest because you have a personal account with the same bank.

The text you are quoting:

I am moving to Geneva for work and will want to open a bank account. My spouse will initially not be working. I am trying to understand pros and cons of opening a joint account rather than an individual account.

-If only I have an employment contract, can my wife be a joint account holder?

-Would it help her in any way to be a joint account holder? Could she easily open a separate account without having employment?

-Are there other considerations that should guide us in whether she gets an account at all?

Also, if anyone has recommendations regarding best banks to approach I'd be grateful - lowest fees and easy online management would be my priorities, followed potentially by any advantages you get such as better savings interest because you have a personal account with the same bank.

Leif RJan 22, 2018 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1922 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: New to CH, getting bank account - single or joint?
Post 1

Bump...no input from anyone?

Bump...no input from anyone?

Leif R, Feb 27, 2018 @ 12:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Leif,

I'm not qualified to go into the pros and cons of having a joint or single account, but to address your other questions:

- with a work contract, most or all banks will allow you to have a joint account

- Most banks will let your wife have a separate account, but with restrictions without you as a guarantor (mainly w/ credit cards, etc... without an income, but you can organize partner cards from your account for any credit-related items)

- If she doesn't have any income, it might not be necessary for her to have an account as everything can be done in your name... it's probably more of a psychological debate/question

- if you're looking for keeping costs down and not expecting frills, I bank with Postfinance, pay no fees as long as I have over 7000 (I believe) in the bank (which includes 3rd pillar savings) and am very happy with the online banking options (as well as their mobile app). I opened my account when I first arrived in CH without a job with just an EU passport and note from my girlfriend confirming I was residing with her - very easy

If you or your wife have or have had any assets or accounts in the US it will complicate your banking and limit your choices on who will deal with you

Hi Leif,

I'm not qualified to go into the pros and cons of having a joint or single account, but to address your other questions:

- with a work contract, most or all banks will allow you to have a joint account

- Most banks will let your wife have a separate account, but with restrictions without you as a guarantor (mainly w/ credit cards, etc... without an income, but you can organize partner cards from your account for any credit-related items)

- If she doesn't have any income, it might not be necessary for her to have an account as everything can be done in your name... it's probably more of a psychological debate/question

- if you're looking for keeping costs down and not expecting frills, I bank with Postfinance, pay no fees as long as I have over 7000 (I believe) in the bank (which includes 3rd pillar savings) and am very happy with the online banking options (as well as their mobile app). I opened my account when I first arrived in CH without a job with just an EU passport and note from my girlfriend confirming I was residing with her - very easy

If you or your wife have or have had any assets or accounts in the US it will complicate your banking and limit your choices on who will deal with you

Matt Williams, Feb 27, 2018 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks Matt, I had spotted the Postfinance account; will also consider the DKB one, which seems to offer 1.3% interest on your balance and free foreign use - both of interest to us.

https://www.dkb.de/privatkunden/dkb_cash/index.html

Thanks Matt, I had spotted the Postfinance account; will also consider the DKB one, which seems to offer 1.3% interest on your balance and free foreign use - both of interest to us.

Leif R, Feb 27, 2018 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Feb 27, 18 19:14

Hi Leif,

I'd never heard of DKB bank - it looks interesting, especially if you live in Germany, but, as far as I know, there's no presence in Geneva. None of the 'Cash im Shop' partners operate in Geneva, so you'd always have to use a cash machine. If you'd ever have a problem with a card, for instance, that could mean several days without a solution/access to your account, whereas with a local provider you could expect a short-term solution until a new card arrives or the situation is resolved. Plus, unless they offer a local or Swiss number, it could be expensive if you ever have a problem (I've paid quite a bit over the years calling from CH dealing with service providers in France with only French toll numbers).

Of course, if you're just looking for the best return on money sitting in an account, you can have your money anywhere and just have a minimum in a CH account to cover monthly expenses. 

Hi Leif,

I'd never heard of DKB bank - it looks interesting, especially if you live in Germany, but, as far as I know, there's no presence in Geneva. None of the 'Cash im Shop' partners operate in Geneva, so you'd always have to use a cash machine. If you'd ever have a problem with a card, for instance, that could mean several days without a solution/access to your account, whereas with a local provider you could expect a short-term solution until a new card arrives or the situation is resolved. Plus, unless they offer a local or Swiss number, it could be expensive if you ever have a problem (I've paid quite a bit over the years calling from CH dealing with service providers in France with only French toll numbers).

Of course, if you're just looking for the best return on money sitting in an account, you can have your money anywhere and just have a minimum in a CH account to cover monthly expenses. 

Matt Williams, Feb 28, 2018 @ 09:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1922 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form