Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > No Fetes de Genève 2018

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
No Fetes de Genève 2018

https://www.tdg.ch/geneve/actu-genevoise/fetes-2018-feu-artifice-reste-conditionnel/story/23592861

The text you are quoting:

https://www.tdg.ch/geneve/actu-genevoise/fetes-2018-feu-artifice-reste-conditionnel/story/23592861

SWISSFeb 14, 2018 @ 17:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

24 Replies | 4120 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: No Fetes de Genève 2018
Post 1

more moneyMoney Mouth ... and also less pollution :)Laughing

more moneyMoney Mouth ... and also less pollution :)Laughing

Hanifa o, Feb 14, 2018 @ 18:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

The English version.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/budget-problems_geneva-to-renounce-summer-festival-this-year/43901172

The English version.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/budget-problems_geneva-to-renounce-summer-festival-this-year/43901172

SWISS, Feb 14, 2018 @ 20:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

upst ... I did not dare as much :) but there is just :) It's true, it's not easy but it's also about living in the city :(

upst ... I did not dare as much :) but there is just :) It's true, it's not easy but it's also about living in the city :(

Hanifa o, Feb 15, 2018 @ 17:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I HATE fireworks in Geneva. It is so polluting our city :-(

I HATE fireworks in Geneva. It is so polluting our city :-(

Sam D, Feb 16, 2018 @ 07:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

When the fetes was on, the press and social media was full of complaints about it. Lets see if now that the fetes is off, people will complain that it's off...(-;

When the fetes was on, the press and social media was full of complaints about it. Lets see if now that the fetes is off, people will complain that it's off...(-;

Nir Ofek, Feb 16, 2018 @ 12:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Having done a beach clean up in Vevey after the storms in January, we were appalled at how much firework debris littered the beaches from the NYE fireworks.

Sadly, if you read the blurb, the fetes IS off, but the fireworks display is still on, which seems a bit pointless.

Perhaps the canton of Geneva have got it the wrong way round this year?

Having done a beach clean up in Vevey after the storms in January, we were appalled at how much firework debris littered the beaches from the NYE fireworks.

Sadly, if you read the blurb, the fetes IS off, but the fireworks display is still on, which seems a bit pointless.

Perhaps the canton of Geneva have got it the wrong way round this year?

Carolyn C, Feb 16, 2018 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Fireworks are still on, Village Swiss too, Ferris wheel as well, so it's not all cancelled, it's just shrinking back to a more bearable level.

Fireworks are still on, Village Swiss too, Ferris wheel as well, so it's not all cancelled, it's just shrinking back to a more bearable level.

hay_, Feb 16, 2018 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

"Lausanne Estivale" also to be considerably shrunk next year:

https://www.lausannecites.ch/le-journal/lausanne/lausanne-estivale-durant-les-trois-mois-dete-cest-fini

"Lausanne Estivale" also to be considerably shrunk next year:

https://www.lausannecites.ch/le-journal/lausanne/lausanne-estivale-durant-les-trois-mois-dete-cest-fini

ajimenezp, Feb 17, 2018 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I hate it... More TRAFFIC. 

I hate it... More TRAFFIC. 

William M, Feb 17, 2018 @ 15:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

.... and Switzerland is confirming to be.. just the most boring country on Earth.

.... and Switzerland is confirming to be.. just the most boring country on Earth.

Laura C, Feb 18, 2018 @ 11:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I like boring... If fun means more traffic, crime, polution and drunk fools everywhere. 

You should move to England, Laura. 

I like boring... If fun means more traffic, crime, polution and drunk fools everywhere. 

William M, Feb 18, 2018 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Feb 18, 18 12:32

I'm coming from there, William.
Would have been more appropriate to say: "Move anywhere else, Laura".
But, unfortunatley, I live "where I need to" and now it's here.

That was just my opinion and I'm deeply sorry if it's different from yours.

However I didn't see any Swiss complaining about pollution, fireworks and drunk fools everywhere during any of the New Years Eve in Rio de Janeiro, or during Carnival, nor during any other event in any part of the world.
I can assure you they were enjoying it as much as any other.

It would be more appropriate say: "we are happy to pollute, enjoy fireworks and be drunk as anyone else as long as it's not happening in Switzerland".

Have a lovely day!

However I didn't see any Swiss complaining about pollution, fireworks and drunk fools everywhere during any of the New Years Eve in Rio de Janeiro, or during Carnival, nor during any other event in any part of the world.

It would be more appropriate say: "we are happy to pollute, enjoy fireworks and be drunk as anyone else as long as it's not happening in Switzerland".

Have a lovely day!

Laura C, Feb 18, 2018 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I said England, because I'm English. I know my own culture better than any other. I do love England, but the Swiss are very different. 

The big problem for me is the traffic. I think the money wasted of stupid things could go towards a tunnel under the lake that would also help with pollution. 

The crime rates in Geneva go up durung the fete. It's a waste of police time and tax payers money. 

You could always go to Paléo festival, or drink in a bar or pub.  

I said England, because I'm English. I know my own culture better than any other. I do love England, but the Swiss are very different. 

The big problem for me is the traffic. I think the money wasted of stupid things could go towards a tunnel under the lake that would also help with pollution. 

The crime rates in Geneva go up durung the fete. It's a waste of police time and tax payers money. 

You could always go to Paléo festival, or drink in a bar or pub.  

William M, Feb 18, 2018 @ 13:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Have a lovely day!

Feb 18, 18 12:55

According to your profile, you come from Italy.

According to your profile, you come from Italy.

Ritchie, Feb 18, 2018 @ 15:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Yesssss!

Yesssss!

Nat S, Feb 19, 2018 @ 14:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I like all the great food there and I don't care about the firework. 

I like all the great food there and I don't care about the firework. 

Melissa Wong, Feb 23, 2018 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

"Good riddance", say I.

Except for all the lovely and delicious and wonderfully diversive take-away food stalls. I will most definitely miss them.

"Good riddance", say I.

Except for all the lovely and delicious and wonderfully diversive take-away food stalls. I will most definitely miss them.

Eva D, Feb 24, 2018 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I found that the Fete de Genève was overpriced and same thing every year. Its not anything special , so many cities all over Switzerland and France has similiar. And I wish there was more of a Geneva theme. I am not a lemon or sour grape about loosing this event.

I enjoy the small scene of AMR usually in early july before the Fete Genève, as it has more local artists and plenty reasonable priced food/drink. And several kiosk or stores around to buy on a budget. http://www.amr-geneve.ch/lamr-aux-cropettes

Then a good event, its big and many choices of music is the Geneva 'Music Festival' 22-24th June 2018. https://www.ville-ge.ch/fetedelamusique/

Besically there are festivals almost everyweekend in different parks around the Geneva region. So loosing the Fete de Genève, is not a big deal in my view. 

Also there are music festivals in Rolle, Coppet, Lausanne, bernex music festival (country music theme last year), weekly summer concerts at the ella fitzgerald music festival (at Ella Fitzgerald scene in Parc de Grange), Geneva Lake parade (evening of Techo), Salles des Fetes du Lignon, Vernier Sur Rock Festival, Currently the AntiGel festival in Geneva, not music but free movies at Ciné Transat - Open air cinema, media festival 'Festival De La Batie' , etc.

There are many many websites for Expat that give listing of events. LeNews, www.expatica.com/ch/ , www.geneva.info/events/, https://www.geneve.com/en/see-do/events/

and yeah glocals has lot of activities and postings.

so just look for 10min on internet and you will find plenty.

I found that the Fete de Genève was overpriced and same thing every year. Its not anything special , so many cities all over Switzerland and France has similiar. And I wish there was more of a Geneva theme. I am not a lemon or sour grape about loosing this event.

I enjoy the small scene of AMR usually in early july before the Fete Genève, as it has more local artists and plenty reasonable priced food/drink. And several kiosk or stores around to buy on a budget. http://www.amr-geneve.ch/lamr-aux-cropettes

Then a good event, its big and many choices of music is the Geneva 'Music Festival' 22-24th June 2018. https://www.ville-ge.ch/fetedelamusique/

Besically there are festivals almost everyweekend in different parks around the Geneva region. So loosing the Fete de Genève, is not a big deal in my view. 

Also there are music festivals in Rolle, Coppet, Lausanne, bernex music festival (country music theme last year), weekly summer concerts at the ella fitzgerald music festival (at Ella Fitzgerald scene in Parc de Grange), Geneva Lake parade (evening of Techo), Salles des Fetes du Lignon, Vernier Sur Rock Festival, Currently the AntiGel festival in Geneva, not music but free movies at Ciné Transat - Open air cinema, media festival 'Festival De La Batie' , etc.

There are many many websites for Expat that give listing of events. LeNews, www.expatica.com/ch/ , www.geneva.info/events/, https://www.geneve.com/en/see-do/events/

and yeah glocals has lot of activities and postings.

so just look for 10min on internet and you will find plenty.

Dave G, Feb 25, 2018 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

What all those great events Dave G mentions have in common is that they are more of a showcase for local culture, and do not cause the heavy disruptions that the "Fete de Geneve" does.

The Fete is nothing but a glorified and oversized small town fair. Not worth the heavy disruption it causes for several days.

The only thing I personally enjoy is some of the international food stalls and the fact that I can discover some of them which have a permanent location in the city. But that alone is not worth cramming the lakeshore with low quality amusement rides and stalls and turning one of the city's most beautiful landmarks into a noisy, stinky, trashy place. The fireworks are very uninteresting, not comparable to the "Fete du Lac" in Annecy, so good ridance.

What all those great events Dave G mentions have in common is that they are more of a showcase for local culture, and do not cause the heavy disruptions that the "Fete de Geneve" does.

The Fete is nothing but a glorified and oversized small town fair. Not worth the heavy disruption it causes for several days.

The only thing I personally enjoy is some of the international food stalls and the fact that I can discover some of them which have a permanent location in the city. But that alone is not worth cramming the lakeshore with low quality amusement rides and stalls and turning one of the city's most beautiful landmarks into a noisy, stinky, trashy place. The fireworks are very uninteresting, not comparable to the "Fete du Lac" in Annecy, so good ridance.

JR M, Feb 25, 2018 @ 16:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Clearly you did not read what I wrote, and futher your trolling and looking for argument.

Do something helpful and give some other suggestions. 

I made suggestions of other events and suggestions, but your like the 10year Troll or more.

Sour grape or bitter nuts or lemons for the menu I guess.

Clearly you did not read what I wrote, and futher your trolling and looking for argument.

Do something helpful and give some other suggestions. 

I made suggestions of other events and suggestions, but your like the 10year Troll or more.

Sour grape or bitter nuts or lemons for the menu I guess.

Dave G, Feb 25, 2018 @ 18:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Jan 1, 70 01:00

most everything in this post is just 'sour'

like comments of exotic “cuisines” on our doorsteps for days and nights on end. A RICH lake side owner

clearly saying TRASH or other to be - quote 'exported to the outskirts of the canton where the wind can blow over to neighbouring France.' must have serious issues with france and other.

Quote 'Dignity is fine but also fun is in order for geneva'. I dont think the young and tourist care about Dignitz, but if we want to stay in a cave, and who is to insult with what is dignity and taste or Swiss ness.. quote In the meantime, if we must have the “Fêtes” let’s return to some semblance of the dignity, taste, and Swiss-ness that the city used to have.' 

How can we know what is Geneva identity?
quote ' Right now, Geneva is losing its identity. '

I dont dig everything but on a social forum, I am not going to Knock my adopted home but give helpful suggestins, posistive view and hope we all see, there is plenty to enjoy, just need to look a bit.

most everything in this post is just 'sour'

like comments of exotic “cuisines” on our doorsteps for days and nights on end. A RICH lake side owner

clearly saying TRASH or other to be - quote 'exported to the outskirts of the canton where the wind can blow over to neighbouring France.' must have serious issues with france and other.

Quote 'Dignity is fine but also fun is in order for geneva'. I dont think the young and tourist care about Dignitz, but if we want to stay in a cave, and who is to insult with what is dignity and taste or Swiss ness.. quote In the meantime, if we must have the “Fêtes” let’s return to some semblance of the dignity, taste, and Swiss-ness that the city used to have.' 

How can we know what is Geneva identity?
quote ' Right now, Geneva is losing its identity. '

I dont dig everything but on a social forum, I am not going to Knock my adopted home but give helpful suggestins, posistive view and hope we all see, there is plenty to enjoy, just need to look a bit.

Dave G, Feb 25, 2018 @ 18:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

After the Sunday vote in Geneva, 4th march 2018.

After the Sunday vote in Geneva, 4th march 2018.

SWISS, Mar 6, 2018 @ 00:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Le Grand feu d'artifice maintenu malgré l'annulation des Fêtes de Genève 2018 

SWISS, Apr 30, 2018 @ 23:29

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Apr 30, 18 23:29

Free fireworks on Saturday evening, 11th August 2018, 22h00

As shared by the Geneva Tourism, Geneva Tourism | Switzerland annonce que l'événement sera entièrement gratuit, sans gradins ni tickets payants.

Free fireworks on Saturday evening, 11th August 2018, 22h00

As shared by the Geneva Tourism, Geneva Tourism | Switzerland annonce que l'événement sera entièrement gratuit, sans gradins ni tickets payants.

SWISS, Apr 30, 2018 @ 23:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
24 Replies | 4120 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form