Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Orthodontistry and insurance - very confused about the options

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Orthodontistry and insurance - very confused about the options

Hi, I'm looking into taking out additional medical insurance for my kids to cover dental treatment and orthodontics, but I can't work out whether it's going to be worth the extra monthly cost or not. I realise every insurance company is going to be different but, in general, is it worth taking out complementary insurance for orthodontistry, or is it still cheaper to go to France and pay up front?

My head tells me that the insurance company has to make money, therefore as a rule you will end up paying out more on an insurance policy than you would just paying for treatment, unless there is some kind of state subsidy involved, but I have no idea if this is the case.

All advice gratefully received.

The text you are quoting:

Hi, I'm looking into taking out additional medical insurance for my kids to cover dental treatment and orthodontics, but I can't work out whether it's going to be worth the extra monthly cost or not. I realise every insurance company is going to be different but, in general, is it worth taking out complementary insurance for orthodontistry, or is it still cheaper to go to France and pay up front?

My head tells me that the insurance company has to make money, therefore as a rule you will end up paying out more on an insurance policy than you would just paying for treatment, unless there is some kind of state subsidy involved, but I have no idea if this is the case.

All advice gratefully received.

Jill MetcalfeSep 14, 2014 @ 22:16
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1049 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Orthodontistry and insurance - very confused about the options
Post 1

Dental insurance can be interesting. Specially for teenagers. Yes, coverage and price depend greatly of the insurer. Average cost for braces is of CHF 6000 in Switzerland. I can tell you about insurance options if you send me a message. I am insurance broker. Regards. A.

Dental insurance can be interesting. Specially for teenagers. Yes, coverage and price depend greatly of the insurer. Average cost for braces is of CHF 6000 in Switzerland. I can tell you about insurance options if you send me a message. I am insurance broker. Regards. A.

Alexandre B, Oct 30, 2014 @ 17:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Orthodontistry and insurance - very confused about the options
Post 2

Hi Jill

First of all you can take you're children to a normanl dentist and they can forsee a possible need for braces down the road. If your child needs braces then I think it could be advantagous to get dental insurance. Check with the insurance agencies whether there is an age limit as to getting a contract with an insurance agency for a dental plan. My dental insurance pays up to CHF 2'000.-- per year. I don't know about France. You better first of all live close to the boarder and get a good Orthodontist that is recommended to you. That could get sticky if there is unforseen trouble.

Hope you get it sorted out

sonya

Hi Jill

First of all you can take you're children to a normanl dentist and they can forsee a possible need for braces down the road. If your child needs braces then I think it could be advantagous to get dental insurance. Check with the insurance agencies whether there is an age limit as to getting a contract with an insurance agency for a dental plan. My dental insurance pays up to CHF 2'000.-- per year. I don't know about France. You better first of all live close to the boarder and get a good Orthodontist that is recommended to you. That could get sticky if there is unforseen trouble.

Hope you get it sorted out

sonya

Sonya Räber, Nov 2, 2014 @ 15:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1049 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form