Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Pension fund - moving the money to another fund

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Pension fund - moving the money to another fund

All,

I recently left my employer in Nyon, and can move my pension fund to another pension fund manager to manager. I'm struggling to find a decent one, with decent returns. Whilst I appreciate it is supposed to be a fairly risk-averse long term growth fund, I would like to actually see a return on my money when I am 65 (or if/ when I leave Switzerland).

I read an article about the limitations of what can be invested in a pension fund: max 50% equity, max 25% non Swiss equity, max 50% real estate, etc, which left me a bit deflated. Personally, I would prefer to invest it all into 2-3 Emerging Markets funds and have a decent chance at some upside .

Does anyone know of any pension funds here which may be closer to the upper limits of acceptable Swiss pension funds risk?

Thanks in advance :)

Chris

The text you are quoting:

All,

I recently left my employer in Nyon, and can move my pension fund to another pension fund manager to manager. I'm struggling to find a decent one, with decent returns. Whilst I appreciate it is supposed to be a fairly risk-averse long term growth fund, I would like to actually see a return on my money when I am 65 (or if/ when I leave Switzerland).

I read an article about the limitations of what can be invested in a pension fund: max 50% equity, max 25% non Swiss equity, max 50% real estate, etc, which left me a bit deflated. Personally, I would prefer to invest it all into 2-3 Emerging Markets funds and have a decent chance at some upside .

Does anyone know of any pension funds here which may be closer to the upper limits of acceptable Swiss pension funds risk?

Thanks in advance :)

Chris

Chris TJun 23, 2011 @ 15:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1290 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Pension fund - moving the money to another fund
Post 1

With the evident uncertainty surrounding banks in general (even in Swiss), I would cut and run.  Take the cash and make a dash :-)

With the evident uncertainty surrounding banks in general (even in Swiss), I would cut and run.  Take the cash and make a dash :-)

Chris Shailos, Jun 23, 2011 @ 16:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Are you talking about the "2ème pillier". If so, the money goes from your previous employer to the new employers. If you do not have employers, you need to deposit amount on " caisse de libre passage" like in Postfinance, but don't expect making money on that. There is lots of restriction for the pension funds when they managed the "2ème pillier", the idea is to keep the investment safe for everybody so interests are low and normally fixed by Swiss regulation like LPP2.

Hope it helps

Are you talking about the "2ème pillier". If so, the money goes from your previous employer to the new employers. If you do not have employers, you need to deposit amount on " caisse de libre passage" like in Postfinance, but don't expect making money on that. There is lots of restriction for the pension funds when they managed the "2ème pillier", the idea is to keep the investment safe for everybody so interests are low and normally fixed by Swiss regulation like LPP2.

Hope it helps

jcatjost, Jun 23, 2011 @ 16:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hope it helps

Jun 23, 11 16:56

The penny has dropped. Correct, its 2eme pilar. Ok, so I can only touch half of it if I leave Switzerland, and now have to leave it in this low interest account (~1% int) until I decide to transfer it into another pensionfund, or my new employers fund (if and when)...    looking at the markets, certainly for the summer months, a part of 1% gain will probably look ok - though its short term in the grand scheme of things!

Low risk/return is good for most people... but its soooo boring!! Laughing

The penny has dropped. Correct, its 2eme pilar. Ok, so I can only touch half of it if I leave Switzerland, and now have to leave it in this low interest account (~1% int) until I decide to transfer it into another pensionfund, or my new employers fund (if and when)...    looking at the markets, certainly for the summer months, a part of 1% gain will probably look ok - though its short term in the grand scheme of things!

Low risk/return is good for most people... but its soooo boring!! Laughing

Chris T, Jun 23, 2011 @ 17:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Just to pick up this old thread and hopefully I ask the right questions here regarding 2nd pension fund.

after terminating the contract, what are the differences between withdrawing by cash and keep the amount for a while? I try to understand pros and cons. By the way, living in Switzerland still.

Secondly, what is the Termination Benefit that is said to be paid?

Thank you in advance.

Just to pick up this old thread and hopefully I ask the right questions here regarding 2nd pension fund.

after terminating the contract, what are the differences between withdrawing by cash and keep the amount for a while? I try to understand pros and cons. By the way, living in Switzerland still.

Secondly, what is the Termination Benefit that is said to be paid?

Thank you in advance.

Jessica G, May 20, 2018 @ 11:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Jessica, 

I assume from what you mention that you are terminating an employment, otherwise you cannot just change a pension fund. 

If you continue to live in Switzerland you do not have the option to take out your 2nd pillar pension in cash unless you take up an independent activity. 

The proportion of the accumulated savings of  your pension account to be transferred to a locked account will depend on the regulations of your pension scheme. Your employer should be able to answer this question. 

Regards 

Andre

Hi Jessica, 

I assume from what you mention that you are terminating an employment, otherwise you cannot just change a pension fund. 

If you continue to live in Switzerland you do not have the option to take out your 2nd pillar pension in cash unless you take up an independent activity. 

The proportion of the accumulated savings of  your pension account to be transferred to a locked account will depend on the regulations of your pension scheme. Your employer should be able to answer this question. 

Regards 

Andre

André Graf, May 22, 2018 @ 13:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1290 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form