Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Registering Pets in Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Registering Pets in Geneva?

Does anyone know where you go to register your pet in Geneva? Also what do you take with you? I have all the papers from the USA plus the microchips numbers which are registered online. I understand you need some type fo pet passport to cross the border from Switzerland to France. Does anyone have information on any of my questions. Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Does anyone know where you go to register your pet in Geneva? Also what do you take with you? I have all the papers from the USA plus the microchips numbers which are registered online. I understand you need some type fo pet passport to cross the border from Switzerland to France. Does anyone have information on any of my questions. Thanks!

Danni CooperMar 25, 2012 @ 16:01
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 3187 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Registering Pets in Geneva?
Post 1

Hey Danni, yes you need a pet passport to cross the border. They might not ask you for it but if they stop you and see a dog in the car you have to produce it. The easiest thing to do is register with a vet in Geneva. They will register the dog with ANIS for you (which is where you should register the microchip number should you loose your dog).

Then you need to prove you have personal liability insurance to cover you should something happen to a member of the public as a result of your dog or its behaviour. Any insurance company will extend your personal house contents insurance to cover you so can just do this with one quick call.

You then take all this docmentation to the Police Municipal closest to where you live in Geneva and pay the fee for the medallion (I think it's CHF6 this year). They give you the medallion you put it on the collar of the dog and that is it.

Things are slightly different if you get your first dog in Geneva you must take practical obedience training with your dog, you must also take additional behavioural classes for you only without the dog.

Your vet can give you all further information.

Hope this helps.

BCRover 

Hey Danni, yes you need a pet passport to cross the border. They might not ask you for it but if they stop you and see a dog in the car you have to produce it. The easiest thing to do is register with a vet in Geneva. They will register the dog with ANIS for you (which is where you should register the microchip number should you loose your dog).

Then you need to prove you have personal liability insurance to cover you should something happen to a member of the public as a result of your dog or its behaviour. Any insurance company will extend your personal house contents insurance to cover you so can just do this with one quick call.

You then take all this docmentation to the Police Municipal closest to where you live in Geneva and pay the fee for the medallion (I think it's CHF6 this year). They give you the medallion you put it on the collar of the dog and that is it.

Things are slightly different if you get your first dog in Geneva you must take practical obedience training with your dog, you must also take additional behavioural classes for you only without the dog.

Your vet can give you all further information.

Hope this helps.

BCRover 

BCROVER, Mar 25, 2012 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Mar 25, 12 16:01

Thank you for the information this is very helpful..

Danni

Thank you for the information this is very helpful..

Danni

Danni Cooper, Mar 25, 2012 @ 20:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Danni,

Concerning the yearly medaille (eg yearly tax), you'll find all necessary info there (in French):
http://www.ville-geneve.ch/demarches-administratives/securite-prevention/medaille-chien/
Price for 2012 is chf 107.- for your dog (and chf 147.- for the second dog if you have one). Price may change depending in which commune/village you are living (in mine it's half of it ...).

To get it, you have to go to any police station (all addresses in the above link) and you'll need to bring:
- microchip confirmation from ANIS (www.anis.ch)
- insurance confirmation
- vaccination against rabies
- training/course certificates

Your vet will be able to register your dog to ANIS, issue the European passport (approx. chf 25.-) and make the vaccination if needed. Concerning the dog training, you vet should also be able to explain whether and how it applies to you.

One last thing: you have to put on your dog's collar a medallion with your name, full address and phone number (any Mister Minit shop in Geneva will make it).

Hi Danni,

Concerning the yearly medaille (eg yearly tax), you'll find all necessary info there (in French):
http://www.ville-geneve.ch/demarches-administratives/securite-prevention/medaille-chien/
Price for 2012 is chf 107.- for your dog (and chf 147.- for the second dog if you have one). Price may change depending in which commune/village you are living (in mine it's half of it ...).

To get it, you have to go to any police station (all addresses in the above link) and you'll need to bring:
- microchip confirmation from ANIS (www.anis.ch)
- insurance confirmation
- vaccination against rabies
- training/course certificates

Your vet will be able to register your dog to ANIS, issue the European passport (approx. chf 25.-) and make the vaccination if needed. Concerning the dog training, you vet should also be able to explain whether and how it applies to you.

One last thing: you have to put on your dog's collar a medallion with your name, full address and phone number (any Mister Minit shop in Geneva will make it).

missdaisy, Mar 25, 2012 @ 22:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

P.S. To this, you'll probalby have to add a chf 10.- administrative fee (per dog)

P.S. To this, you'll probalby have to add a chf 10.- administrative fee (per dog)

missdaisy, Mar 25, 2012 @ 22:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

It's not the UK but it might help.

I got my GSD from France. When I arrived at the customs, I had to declare it and pay a fee (10 or 20% of the value of the pup, i can't remember, your breeder should provide you with a receipt), then I had 10 days to go to the vet for a check up and the first shots (rabies is done at 6 months), they registered him with ANIS.

At 4 months you have to go to your mairie with his passport showing the shots already done, a letter from your insurance (they call that "attestation pour détenteur de chiens") to get your medallion. I paid CHF 10 cash and received the rest of the fee later by post ("impot sur les chiens").

If you're looking for a good address for the puppy course, let me know. I have some addresses.

It's not the UK but it might help.

I got my GSD from France. When I arrived at the customs, I had to declare it and pay a fee (10 or 20% of the value of the pup, i can't remember, your breeder should provide you with a receipt), then I had 10 days to go to the vet for a check up and the first shots (rabies is done at 6 months), they registered him with ANIS.

At 4 months you have to go to your mairie with his passport showing the shots already done, a letter from your insurance (they call that "attestation pour détenteur de chiens") to get your medallion. I paid CHF 10 cash and received the rest of the fee later by post ("impot sur les chiens").

If you're looking for a good address for the puppy course, let me know. I have some addresses.

Angel D, Jun 29, 2016 @ 15:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Concerning ANIS (the Swiss microchip database for pets), it has recently changed and is now called AMICUS, but for dogs only (cats are still with ANIS).

Concerning ANIS (the Swiss microchip database for pets), it has recently changed and is now called AMICUS, but for dogs only (cats are still with ANIS).

Catherine M, Jun 29, 2016 @ 16:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

We are looking for a good breeder. Can you please suggest one. We are looking for Doberman or Pinscher. If you do not mind, what is the process to buy in France and bring to Geneva? we live in Geneva. We never had a dog before and still learning at where to start.  Also if you can give the address for the english puppy course.Thanks a lot. 

We are looking for a good breeder. Can you please suggest one. We are looking for Doberman or Pinscher. If you do not mind, what is the process to buy in France and bring to Geneva? we live in Geneva. We never had a dog before and still learning at where to start.  Also if you can give the address for the english puppy course.Thanks a lot. 

Robiya Bowles, Aug 22, 2016 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

ha ha ha ha first time posted a message here...my photo is amusing ha ha ha...

ha ha ha ha first time posted a message here...my photo is amusing ha ha ha...

Robiya Bowles, Aug 22, 2016 @ 17:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 3187 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form