Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Registering a Swiss car in France

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Registering a Swiss car in France

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone had any experince of registering their Swiss car in France.

I am shortly moving over the border but will continue to work in Geneva. I am currently without a car but looking to buy one soon. The model I like is more readily available in Switzerland than in France and considerably cheaper (which suprised me).

So I am thinking of buying it here and then having it registered in France but I'm finding it difficult to get any information on how difficult that process might be, or if I'll be required to pay any additonal taxes etc.

The car I want to buy will be second hand, if that's important.

Has anyone been througfh this, or know what the process is like? Is there any particular paperwork I would need to get if/when I buy the car here?

Thanks

The text you are quoting:

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone had any experince of registering their Swiss car in France.

I am shortly moving over the border but will continue to work in Geneva. I am currently without a car but looking to buy one soon. The model I like is more readily available in Switzerland than in France and considerably cheaper (which suprised me).

So I am thinking of buying it here and then having it registered in France but I'm finding it difficult to get any information on how difficult that process might be, or if I'll be required to pay any additonal taxes etc.

The car I want to buy will be second hand, if that's important.

Has anyone been througfh this, or know what the process is like? Is there any particular paperwork I would need to get if/when I buy the car here?

Thanks

Neil StevensonNov 9, 2012 @ 16:38
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 8428 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Registering a Swiss car in France
Post 1

you paperwork is easy you need the certificate of conformity from the manufacturer. It's a standardized form. As your dealership. Then starts the real challenge... the French bureaucracy. You need to 1) clear the French customs and VAT services then 2) go to the local "mines" (motor vehicles department) and try to go through the conformity process. Customs are cleared when the vehicle is admited. In the meantime you will be driving with those red TT licence plates and attracting all national forces attention. It took me 2 years to clear a factory-standard Porsche and multiple harassment at each crossing of the border... good luck

you paperwork is easy you need the certificate of conformity from the manufacturer. It's a standardized form. As your dealership. Then starts the real challenge... the French bureaucracy. You need to 1) clear the French customs and VAT services then 2) go to the local "mines" (motor vehicles department) and try to go through the conformity process. Customs are cleared when the vehicle is admited. In the meantime you will be driving with those red TT licence plates and attracting all national forces attention. It took me 2 years to clear a factory-standard Porsche and multiple harassment at each crossing of the border... good luck

swisskiss, Nov 9, 2012 @ 17:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Neil,

Let me tell you the process I went through for registering my car from Suisse to France. I originally had diplomatic plates so I had to return them. Then to get temporary French plates I needed to do the following paperwork through the Ferney-Voltaire customs:

1)      I filled out a customs declaration form from the Swiss customs (EUR.1 form - Certificat de Circulation des Marchandises) with all the car details (chassis number, model, etc) and they will stamp it (bring your passport, grey card)

2)      I paid 3079 Euros to the ‘Direction General des Douanes et Droits et Taxes’ section of the French customs (for the VAT). It was a 2009 car which I imported to France in 2011 – the VAT is dependent upon the age of your car and its depreciation rate (the customs actually have a book listing all cars, models, year, etc to determine how much tax you need to pay). They will give an official receipt to prove that you paid the taxes, which will need to be presented to the French Perfecture later on

3)      It was compulsory to obtain the EC-Certificate of Conformity from my car dealer (I paid CHF200 just for this certificate and it took 2 weeks)

4)      I gave a copy of a proof of domicile (a gas bill)

5)      I was asked to drive behind the customs building through a gate which they will open so the customs will ‘officially see’ your car imported from Suisse to France

Then I asked for a provisional Certificat d’immatriculation d’un vehicle (equivalent to a grey card) from the Perfecture, bringing all the receipts, stamped declarations, ID, etc. Once you get this certificate, then you can order your temporary plates for around 40 euros or so for a set.

After a one month provisional period, I could then change the temp French plates and get the proper Certificat d’immatriculation to get the permanent plates (I went again to the prefecture for this).

We tried to find another way around the tax issue, but there was no way. I considered changing diplomatic plates to GE plates but 1) I will have to pay extra for the GE plates, and 2) I will need to pay taxes on the car in Suisse because I had a diplomatic discount on the car and after calculation, it was cheaper to pay French taxes than paying the difference in taxes in Suisse (I would've needed to pay between 6-9k swiss francs if I chose to do this). Hence I went for the temp French plates immediately.

For more info go to: http://www.douane.gouv.fr/page.asp?id=30

You might want to check with the customs in Ferney first with the second hand car details you have in mind and ask them of the requirements. I would ask questions like how much VAT you would need to pay, whether you need to show proof of domicile in advance since you haven’t moved yet, and whether you need an Attestation from the cantonal authorities to prove that you are leaving Geneva to move to France (I can’t remember if they asked me this).

My case is different because it was a new car with diplomatic plates. So... it SHOULD be relatively easier for you but to avoid any nasty surprises I would go out of my way to ask as many questions as possible before deciding on buying that car.

And I agree with the reply made by swisskiss, the real challenge is going through the French bureaucracy! :-)

Perhaps it would be worth considering buying a similar car on the French side since registration would be easier and faster.. maybe!

Good luck!!

Hi Neil,

Let me tell you the process I went through for registering my car from Suisse to France. I originally had diplomatic plates so I had to return them. Then to get temporary French plates I needed to do the following paperwork through the Ferney-Voltaire customs:

1)      I filled out a customs declaration form from the Swiss customs (EUR.1 form - Certificat de Circulation des Marchandises) with all the car details (chassis number, model, etc) and they will stamp it (bring your passport, grey card)

2)      I paid 3079 Euros to the ‘Direction General des Douanes et Droits et Taxes’ section of the French customs (for the VAT). It was a 2009 car which I imported to France in 2011 – the VAT is dependent upon the age of your car and its depreciation rate (the customs actually have a book listing all cars, models, year, etc to determine how much tax you need to pay). They will give an official receipt to prove that you paid the taxes, which will need to be presented to the French Perfecture later on

3)      It was compulsory to obtain the EC-Certificate of Conformity from my car dealer (I paid CHF200 just for this certificate and it took 2 weeks)

4)      I gave a copy of a proof of domicile (a gas bill)

5)      I was asked to drive behind the customs building through a gate which they will open so the customs will ‘officially see’ your car imported from Suisse to France

Then I asked for a provisional Certificat d’immatriculation d’un vehicle (equivalent to a grey card) from the Perfecture, bringing all the receipts, stamped declarations, ID, etc. Once you get this certificate, then you can order your temporary plates for around 40 euros or so for a set.

After a one month provisional period, I could then change the temp French plates and get the proper Certificat d’immatriculation to get the permanent plates (I went again to the prefecture for this).

We tried to find another way around the tax issue, but there was no way. I considered changing diplomatic plates to GE plates but 1) I will have to pay extra for the GE plates, and 2) I will need to pay taxes on the car in Suisse because I had a diplomatic discount on the car and after calculation, it was cheaper to pay French taxes than paying the difference in taxes in Suisse (I would've needed to pay between 6-9k swiss francs if I chose to do this). Hence I went for the temp French plates immediately.

For more info go to: http://www.douane.gouv.fr/page.asp?id=30

You might want to check with the customs in Ferney first with the second hand car details you have in mind and ask them of the requirements. I would ask questions like how much VAT you would need to pay, whether you need to show proof of domicile in advance since you haven’t moved yet, and whether you need an Attestation from the cantonal authorities to prove that you are leaving Geneva to move to France (I can’t remember if they asked me this).

My case is different because it was a new car with diplomatic plates. So... it SHOULD be relatively easier for you but to avoid any nasty surprises I would go out of my way to ask as many questions as possible before deciding on buying that car.

And I agree with the reply made by swisskiss, the real challenge is going through the French bureaucracy! :-)

Perhaps it would be worth considering buying a similar car on the French side since registration would be easier and faster.. maybe!

Good luck!!

Tina M, Nov 9, 2012 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Oh and don't be scared when I said I paid 3079 euros for the taxes, since your car will be second hand and you didn't get a tax-free discount from your dealer, it should be way lower than that! :-)

Oh and don't be scared when I said I paid 3079 euros for the taxes, since your car will be second hand and you didn't get a tax-free discount from your dealer, it should be way lower than that! :-)

Tina M, Nov 9, 2012 @ 19:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Although we have only bought one new car in France after importing one from Belgium where we lived previously, we were told by a friend, resident in Geneva who was returning to South Africa and wished to dispose of his two cars before leaving, that importing a car into France from CH attracts a 30% import surcharge. Perhaps this is no longer valid though - not sure, but worth looking into as otherwise it might prove very expensive. Have you tried Leboncoin.fr for a second-hand model! Lots of cars being advertised on an almost daily basis.

Although we have only bought one new car in France after importing one from Belgium where we lived previously, we were told by a friend, resident in Geneva who was returning to South Africa and wished to dispose of his two cars before leaving, that importing a car into France from CH attracts a 30% import surcharge. Perhaps this is no longer valid though - not sure, but worth looking into as otherwise it might prove very expensive. Have you tried Leboncoin.fr for a second-hand model! Lots of cars being advertised on an almost daily basis.

sheila c, Nov 9, 2012 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks to all for the replies so far. Perhaps abandoning the idea and buying in France is worth the extra expense to save myself the heartache and frustration of the bureaucracy...

Thanks to all for the replies so far. Perhaps abandoning the idea and buying in France is worth the extra expense to save myself the heartache and frustration of the bureaucracy...

Neil Stevenson, Nov 9, 2012 @ 21:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

And technical control, need No of official homologation by factory for european car. If made in korea or japan or any other country, no e.u. it's very complex and expensive.

Call french customs for more informations.

Good luck

And technical control, need No of official homologation by factory for european car. If made in korea or japan or any other country, no e.u. it's very complex and expensive.

Call french customs for more informations.

Good luck

Franck C, Apr 24, 2017 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jan 1, 70 01:00

if you moved from CH to France at the same time, it is standars to enjoy import VAT exemtpion. 

if you moved from CH to France at the same time, it is standars to enjoy import VAT exemtpion. 

Reka Y, Apr 24, 2017 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 8428 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form