Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Salt Mobile Network - Being Automatically Signed Up for new 24 Month Contract Without Agreeing to it

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Salt Mobile Network - Being Automatically Signed Up for new 24 Month Contract Without Agreeing to it

Hi,  Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with Salt signing them up to a new contract without even agreeing to it?  I used Salt for about 5 years when living in Switzerland (never had any major issues during this time).  I left Switzerland a couple of months back.  I tried to cancel my existing 24 month contract, but this not possible without lots of extortionate fees (not just paying out the remaining months), so I was planning to just leave the phone dormant and cancel it when the term is up.  No issue with that.  

Fast forward a few months, and I receive an email out of the blue on 01-Nov-17 saying that my new order has shipped.  I open the email, and I have apparently signed up to a much more expensive brand new 24 month contract, in addition to paying an extra fee to break my existing contract early, and all of this after I had left the country and was no longer using the phone.  

After countless emails to their customer support, they keep telling me I signed up to it via SMS months ago, but they had "technical issues", so the contract is only being sent out now. I did open an offer from Salt months ago just to check the rates, but never actually signed up to it as I knew I would be leaving Switzerland and the roaming charges were extortionate.  I have asked for evidence of the SMS messages or details of the web pages I supposedly visited to sign up (and to provide the HTTP requests and reponses if it was done via web page) but they just completely ignore these requests and tell me that "I signed up".  Surely if Salt are telling me I signed up to a contract, there must be some legal requirement for them to keep some form of technical evidence of the fact that I have in fact agreed to it?  If they do in fact have evidence, it must be manufactured, as I never agreed to the contract in the first instance, but I would like to see it so I can analyse it.  

Just wondering if anyone else has had or is having similar fun experiences with Salt? 

Thanks 

Graeme

The text you are quoting:

Hi,  Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with Salt signing them up to a new contract without even agreeing to it?  I used Salt for about 5 years when living in Switzerland (never had any major issues during this time).  I left Switzerland a couple of months back.  I tried to cancel my existing 24 month contract, but this not possible without lots of extortionate fees (not just paying out the remaining months), so I was planning to just leave the phone dormant and cancel it when the term is up.  No issue with that.  

Fast forward a few months, and I receive an email out of the blue on 01-Nov-17 saying that my new order has shipped.  I open the email, and I have apparently signed up to a much more expensive brand new 24 month contract, in addition to paying an extra fee to break my existing contract early, and all of this after I had left the country and was no longer using the phone.  

After countless emails to their customer support, they keep telling me I signed up to it via SMS months ago, but they had "technical issues", so the contract is only being sent out now. I did open an offer from Salt months ago just to check the rates, but never actually signed up to it as I knew I would be leaving Switzerland and the roaming charges were extortionate.  I have asked for evidence of the SMS messages or details of the web pages I supposedly visited to sign up (and to provide the HTTP requests and reponses if it was done via web page) but they just completely ignore these requests and tell me that "I signed up".  Surely if Salt are telling me I signed up to a contract, there must be some legal requirement for them to keep some form of technical evidence of the fact that I have in fact agreed to it?  If they do in fact have evidence, it must be manufactured, as I never agreed to the contract in the first instance, but I would like to see it so I can analyse it.  

Just wondering if anyone else has had or is having similar fun experiences with Salt? 

Thanks 

Graeme

Graeme SmithNov 8, 2017 @ 06:55
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1337 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Salt Mobile Network - Being Automatically Signed Up for new 24 Month Contract Without Agreeing to it
Post 1

So after about 20 emails going around in circles with Salt staff completely ignoring what I am explaining and requesting (I never signed up, and asking for technical evidence that I actually signed up to the contract) and Salt only repeatedly offering me the opportunity to cancel the contract with a load of extra fees and paying out the entire contract I never agreed to (about 1000CHF)...

I ultimately called Salt from Thailand spending about $30 on calls being on hold and transferred between departments ending up in a loop.   Eventually someone actually listented to what I was saying, and the request was routed to the billing department for investigation.  After about 2 weeks, I received a very apologetic email from Salt saying that they had basically screwed up. 

I wasted an inordinate amount of time on this, and to be honest, receiving an email every other day telling you that you have to pay 1000CHF for something you never agreed to doesn't exactly do wonders for putting you into a relaxed state of mind when you're on holiday...  The explanation they gave me did not make any sense from a technical perspective (I won't go into details here), but at least Salt have now offered to cancel the contract at no charge. 

So after about 20 emails going around in circles with Salt staff completely ignoring what I am explaining and requesting (I never signed up, and asking for technical evidence that I actually signed up to the contract) and Salt only repeatedly offering me the opportunity to cancel the contract with a load of extra fees and paying out the entire contract I never agreed to (about 1000CHF)...

I ultimately called Salt from Thailand spending about $30 on calls being on hold and transferred between departments ending up in a loop.   Eventually someone actually listented to what I was saying, and the request was routed to the billing department for investigation.  After about 2 weeks, I received a very apologetic email from Salt saying that they had basically screwed up. 

I wasted an inordinate amount of time on this, and to be honest, receiving an email every other day telling you that you have to pay 1000CHF for something you never agreed to doesn't exactly do wonders for putting you into a relaxed state of mind when you're on holiday...  The explanation they gave me did not make any sense from a technical perspective (I won't go into details here), but at least Salt have now offered to cancel the contract at no charge. 

Graeme Smith, Nov 16, 2017 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Salt Mobile Network - Being Automatically Signed Up for new 24 Month Contract Without Agreeing to it
Post 2

Oh boy! When I read postings like this one, am I glad I don't have a mobile 'phone!

Oh boy! When I read postings like this one, am I glad I don't have a mobile 'phone!

sheila c, Nov 17, 2017 @ 16:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

To be fair, for the first 5 years I didn’t have any problems - quite amusingly, it was only after I stopped using the phone and left the country that the fun started! :) 

To be fair, for the first 5 years I didn’t have any problems - quite amusingly, it was only after I stopped using the phone and left the country that the fun started! :) 

Graeme Smith, Nov 17, 2017 @ 19:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Nov 17, 17 16:22

What??!!!! You don't have a mobile phone? How weird...

So what do you do when you are crossing the street? Don't you get bored? Or when you walk down a busy sidewalk? Do you actually watch where you are walking? That is so strange. The real world is so... I don't know, fake. You could be playing a video game or get a whif of what is happening in the real world through Facebook or Twitter. And what do you do when you are in an elevator? How do you avoid having to talk to other people without pulling out your phone to look at your "urgent" messages?  How in the hell do you connect with your friends? You don't actually talk to them in the flesh, do you? It is so twentieth century...

How do you get around without Siri?

Sheila, your data, and every one of your movements is not in the Google, Facebook or LinkdIn databases. Don't you feel left out? How the hell are the Russians going to mess with your brain and get you to elect someone like Trump or vote for Brexit if you are not hooked to your favorite social media?

So what do you do when you are crossing the street? Don't you get bored? Or when you walk down a busy sidewalk? Do you actually watch where you are walking? That is so strange. The real world is so... I don't know, fake. You could be playing a video game or get a whif of what is happening in the real world through Facebook or Twitter. And what do you do when you are in an elevator? How do you avoid having to talk to other people without pulling out your phone to look at your "urgent" messages?  How in the hell do you connect with your friends? You don't actually talk to them in the flesh, do you? It is so twentieth century...

Sheila, your data, and every one of your movements is not in the Google, Facebook or LinkdIn databases. Don't you feel left out? How the hell are the Russians going to mess with your brain and get you to elect someone like Trump or vote for Brexit if you are not hooked to your favorite social media?

JR M, Nov 17, 2017 @ 20:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Nov 17, 17 20:10

Dear Sheila and JR.M:

Guess what?  I don’t have a mobile phone either, though I have to confess I do sometimes say to myself that I really ought to forego this and that in order to have the lolly to pay for it.

Meantime, shall we start a mobile phone-less group, Sheila?

And a warm welcome to anyone else who wants to join!

R.

Dear Sheila and JR.M:

Guess what?  I don’t have a mobile phone either, though I have to confess I do sometimes say to myself that I really ought to forego this and that in order to have the lolly to pay for it.

Meantime, shall we start a mobile phone-less group, Sheila?

And a warm welcome to anyone else who wants to join!

R.

Ritchie, Nov 17, 2017 @ 21:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1337 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form