Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Swiss Pension

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swiss Pension

Obviously, the majority of people who regularly contribute to this excellent forum are :

a) not yet of pensionable age

or

b) actually living in Switzerland

for those of us just over the border, can anyone please tell me whether you feel the following is normal?

Been receiving AHV now for 6 years after working in CH for 6 years. The original amount was a paltry 158.-- per month and after three years, this was raised to an equally paltry 160.-- per month. This is an extremely low amount and with the high cost of living, goes practically nowhere.

Does anyone else have any advice please as although I feel there should be a substantial increase in payment, I don't want the people in Geneva to tell me to be thankful I receive anything at all. Presumably, it is my right? Thanks in advance for all who have suitable advice [Ritchie]?

The text you are quoting:

Obviously, the majority of people who regularly contribute to this excellent forum are :

a) not yet of pensionable age

or

b) actually living in Switzerland

for those of us just over the border, can anyone please tell me whether you feel the following is normal?

Been receiving AHV now for 6 years after working in CH for 6 years. The original amount was a paltry 158.-- per month and after three years, this was raised to an equally paltry 160.-- per month. This is an extremely low amount and with the high cost of living, goes practically nowhere.

Does anyone else have any advice please as although I feel there should be a substantial increase in payment, I don't want the people in Geneva to tell me to be thankful I receive anything at all. Presumably, it is my right? Thanks in advance for all who have suitable advice [Ritchie]?

sheila cMay 26, 2015 @ 16:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 1090 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swiss Pension
Post 1

https://www.ch.ch/en/retirement-benefits/

https://www.ch.ch/en/retirement-benefits/

Reka Y, May 26, 2015 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you Reka for your prompt response.

However, because we live over the border, where one can calculate what should be paid, this is not possible as the box only allows 4digit postcodes, not 5 as we have in France.

But thank you anyway.

Thank you Reka for your prompt response.

However, because we live over the border, where one can calculate what should be paid, this is not possible as the box only allows 4digit postcodes, not 5 as we have in France.

But thank you anyway.

sheila c, May 26, 2015 @ 17:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Sorry, Sheila, I don’t know enough about AVS to be of any real help.

R.

Sorry, Sheila, I don’t know enough about AVS to be of any real help.

R.

Ritchie, May 26, 2015 @ 22:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

AVS/AHV is the first of the 3 pillars of Swiss pension system. It's supposed to cover the basic needs but it vary depending of your former salary and the number of years you've been working.

In you case, 6 years is a very short time which is why this pension is so low. There is no way to increase it since you are not living in Switzerland.

Normally you must have a second pillar (unless you were independant) LPP/BVG in which your employer and yourself must have put money in. It's usually substantially higher that the AVS/AHV as it is not designed to cover only the basic needs, but to allow you to keep the same "way of life".

But I doubt yours should be high since you've been working only 6 years. In any case if you've not asked for it, you should do so. I know a lot of expats do forget to get it paid before leaving. If it's your case, you should probably ask your former employer what was the retirment fund he was enlisted to and how you can get this money.
If you've already done it and struggle to survive, then you'll have to rely on your country of residence welfare to help you as you are not living in Switzerland.

AVS/AHV is the first of the 3 pillars of Swiss pension system. It's supposed to cover the basic needs but it vary depending of your former salary and the number of years you've been working.

In you case, 6 years is a very short time which is why this pension is so low. There is no way to increase it since you are not living in Switzerland.

Normally you must have a second pillar (unless you were independant) LPP/BVG in which your employer and yourself must have put money in. It's usually substantially higher that the AVS/AHV as it is not designed to cover only the basic needs, but to allow you to keep the same "way of life".

But I doubt yours should be high since you've been working only 6 years. In any case if you've not asked for it, you should do so. I know a lot of expats do forget to get it paid before leaving. If it's your case, you should probably ask your former employer what was the retirment fund he was enlisted to and how you can get this money.
If you've already done it and struggle to survive, then you'll have to rely on your country of residence welfare to help you as you are not living in Switzerland.

yoyo lolo, May 27, 2015 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

as I assume that you worked somewhere before those 6 years, maybe it is possible for you to claim the pension from all those years before in an other country ?  I say as a way of complementing the Swiss pension

as I assume that you worked somewhere before those 6 years, maybe it is possible for you to claim the pension from all those years before in an other country ?  I say as a way of complementing the Swiss pension

Maria C, May 27, 2015 @ 16:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

May 27, 15 16:43

No, unfortunately I did not, well only a Saturday job which does not really count.

So it's back to belt-tightening. Oh well, many people are worse off, so we must be grateful.

No, unfortunately I did not, well only a Saturday job which does not really count.

So it's back to belt-tightening. Oh well, many people are worse off, so we must be grateful.

sheila c, May 27, 2015 @ 21:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

It is a matter of perspective of course, but I really do not understand your surprise, if six years were enough to call it quits and receive any significant amount for life, I would be the first person to retire right now and move somewhere with a low cost of living.

But again, I am from a generation that never had any expectation of stable employment, home ownership or a family...

It is a matter of perspective of course, but I really do not understand your surprise, if six years were enough to call it quits and receive any significant amount for life, I would be the first person to retire right now and move somewhere with a low cost of living.

But again, I am from a generation that never had any expectation of stable employment, home ownership or a family...

Paul D, May 28, 2015 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

If anyone has any questions or would like some professional advice feel free to get in touch deVere specialize in all areas of independent financial advice and we help ex pats and locals plan for there financial future which lets face it is very imoportant

Regards Paul

If anyone has any questions or would like some professional advice feel free to get in touch deVere specialize in all areas of independent financial advice and we help ex pats and locals plan for there financial future which lets face it is very imoportant

Regards Paul

Paul R, May 28, 2015 @ 17:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

May 28, 15 16:11

You seem to be assuming that it was Sheila who called quits.  Perhaps she left the job because she had reached the retirement age or maybe she was made redundant.

You seem to be assuming that it was Sheila who called quits.  Perhaps she left the job because she had reached the retirement age or maybe she was made redundant.

Ritchie, May 28, 2015 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

May 28, 15 16:11

Call it quits?

Actually I got married!

Call it quits?

Actually I got married!

sheila c, May 28, 2015 @ 21:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Call it quits?

Actually I got married!

May 28, 15 21:33

… and lived happily ever after!

For all that, what would your contributions be worth in today’s money, Sheila, and what about the interest that accrued on the thousands you paid in?

Well, at least your file didn’t get lost and presumably you receive your mite monthly.  I’ve been told that UK pensions for retires living in CH are paid quarterly so changes in the exchange rate can have an impact on the amount the OAP receives.

… and lived happily ever after!

For all that, what would your contributions be worth in today’s money, Sheila, and what about the interest that accrued on the thousands you paid in?

Well, at least your file didn’t get lost and presumably you receive your mite monthly.  I’ve been told that UK pensions for retires living in CH are paid quarterly so changes in the exchange rate can have an impact on the amount the OAP receives.

Ritchie, May 28, 2015 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 1090 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form