Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Swiss medical costs

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swiss medical costs

I am urgently trying to wrok out if swiss medical insruance is worthwhile for me ...

The cover I have been offered  is 100% DRG or 2000 CHF a day max (for hospitals)  or 100% LaMAL for doctors 

Can anyone  tell me what a normal cost is for a day in hosptial in Switzerland ?   or where I can get the tarfis for DRG or Lamal ?  

Thanks 

The text you are quoting:

I am urgently trying to wrok out if swiss medical insruance is worthwhile for me ...

The cover I have been offered  is 100% DRG or 2000 CHF a day max (for hospitals)  or 100% LaMAL for doctors 

Can anyone  tell me what a normal cost is for a day in hosptial in Switzerland ?   or where I can get the tarfis for DRG or Lamal ?  

Thanks 

Helen EJun 22, 2017 @ 19:53
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 1455 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swiss medical costs
Post 1

Are you living in Switzerland as a normal person (i.e. not for an International Organisation).

If so, the assurance de base is obligatory and covers most doctors, hospitals, etc. in Switzerland.  You can choose a "franchise" (deductible) of 300, 500, 1500 or 2500 per year in order to reduce your monthly payment.

The confederation have an online tool to help you choose which company you want to insure yourself with: https://www.priminfo.ch/praemien/index.php?sprache=f

Are you living in Switzerland as a normal person (i.e. not for an International Organisation).

If so, the assurance de base is obligatory and covers most doctors, hospitals, etc. in Switzerland.  You can choose a "franchise" (deductible) of 300, 500, 1500 or 2500 per year in order to reduce your monthly payment.

The confederation have an online tool to help you choose which company you want to insure yourself with: https://www.priminfo.ch/praemien/index.php?sprache=f

nmcp, Jun 23, 2017 @ 08:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks 

Jun 22, 17 19:53

I guess it depends on what you are in for. Maternity for example is around that.

But the bigger question is if you have a permit (not legitimation card) isn't the lamal compulsory and the only thing you have a choice is the franchise (deductable)?

I guess it depends on what you are in for. Maternity for example is around that.

But the bigger question is if you have a permit (not legitimation card) isn't the lamal compulsory and the only thing you have a choice is the franchise (deductable)?

Marcy S, Jun 23, 2017 @ 10:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I understand insurance , as it happens i live in france so i can go with eitehr french cover or french and swiss  .....  

I am trying to find out actual costs of hospitalisation for example 

it is pointless getting cover for up to 2000 a day if a stay in hsopital costs 8000 a day - i would not go there  !

And i would like to know what DRG and Lamal rates are .. so i can see what i would get back if i did claim

I understand insurance , as it happens i live in france so i can go with eitehr french cover or french and swiss  .....  

I am trying to find out actual costs of hospitalisation for example 

it is pointless getting cover for up to 2000 a day if a stay in hsopital costs 8000 a day - i would not go there  !

And i would like to know what DRG and Lamal rates are .. so i can see what i would get back if i did claim

Helen E, Jun 23, 2017 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I can only tell you that my mother stayed at La Colline (Hirslanden group) for 15 days and the bill (excluding any medical fees, billed apart) amounted to CHF 27'000.00

I can only tell you that my mother stayed at La Colline (Hirslanden group) for 15 days and the bill (excluding any medical fees, billed apart) amounted to CHF 27'000.00

hay_, Jun 24, 2017 @ 04:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jun 24, 17 04:35

I paid similar fees at “La Tour” and “La Colline” for hip replacements and very attentive care, but that was in the days when I could afford a first-class premium.  I’ve since down-sized and had excellent medical (but not surgical) treatment in a ward in the Cantonal Hospital.  

So you pays your money and you takes your choice.

However, be aware that premiums are revised annually and can go up from one year to the next, which means that this year’s rate might not be valid next January.

I paid similar fees at “La Tour” and “La Colline” for hip replacements and very attentive care, but that was in the days when I could afford a first-class premium.  I’ve since down-sized and had excellent medical (but not surgical) treatment in a ward in the Cantonal Hospital.  

So you pays your money and you takes your choice.

However, be aware that premiums are revised annually and can go up from one year to the next, which means that this year’s rate might not be valid next January.

Ritchie, Jun 24, 2017 @ 06:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Jun 24, 17 04:35

Gasp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sheila c, Jun 24, 2017 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jun 24, 17 13:49

Both of them are private ones. No gasp there. First class, premium service. That is what you pay for. But medical care in Switzerland is amoung the best ones in the world.

You can also get the same good treatment in HUG but you might be sharing your room if you only have a LAMAL.

Both of them are private ones. No gasp there. First class, premium service. That is what you pay for. But medical care in Switzerland is amoung the best ones in the world.

You can also get the same good treatment in HUG but you might be sharing your room if you only have a LAMAL.

Reka Y, Jun 24, 2017 @ 14:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks Hay 

when you say expcluding medical fees , what do you mean ?

was that jsut the room fee ?

were tests and doctors on top ? how much was that about 

Thanks Hay 

when you say expcluding medical fees , what do you mean ?

was that jsut the room fee ?

were tests and doctors on top ? how much was that about 

Helen E, Jun 27, 2017 @ 13:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

FYI, if you have an option (so not an urgent case) you should rather look for a medical help abroad if you want to save several thousand CHF (e.g. Poland, Hungary, etc.). There are companies that can help with your travel, eg. http://cheaperthan.ch/en/home

FYI, if you have an option (so not an urgent case) you should rather look for a medical help abroad if you want to save several thousand CHF (e.g. Poland, Hungary, etc.). There are companies that can help with your travel, eg. http://cheaperthan.ch/en/home

Kris R, Jun 27, 2017 @ 17:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Do you know first hand of anybody who has used the services of 3XC? what was his feedback?

Do you know first hand of anybody who has used the services of 3XC? what was his feedback?

ajimenezp, Jun 27, 2017 @ 20:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

what is 3XC ?

what is 3XC ?

Helen E, Jun 28, 2017 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

maybe if you contact one of the Frontalier associations they could help? I think there are 2 major ones but can't remember the details. Your local mairie should be able to give you some info..

maybe if you contact one of the Frontalier associations they could help? I think there are 2 major ones but can't remember the details. Your local mairie should be able to give you some info..

TogJay, Jun 28, 2017 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

what is 3XC ?

Jun 28, 17 12:29

The http://cheaperthan.ch/en/home site mentioned by Kris R ("3 times cheaper")

The http://cheaperthan.ch/en/home site mentioned by Kris R ("3 times cheaper")

ajimenezp, Jun 28, 2017 @ 22:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 1455 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form