Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Swisscom has failed miserably. Other options for internet?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swisscom has failed miserably. Other options for internet?

I have been using Swisscom’s expensive services for internet, TV and fixed line (Vivo Casa) for more than a year. They installed fiber optics a few months ago and it worked quite well. Everything stopped working last Wednesday. That is 9 days ago!  Since then it has been extremely frustrating to get an answer or a solution from them (I speak French and can deal with them). They say wait 24 hours; they said someone will come to your house; they cancelled the technician’s visit; they said wait till Friday; wait till Monday; we promise it will be solved by Thursday; and today (Friday –one week later) they said again “please be patient until 17:00”. Basically it's been a joke. I have given up on them. My partner works from home so high speed internet for video-calls, streaming video, etc is essential.

My question is: What are other alternatives for fast and reliable Internet? Any tips will be much appreciated. I am also on the edge of cancelling 3 cell phone lines with Swisscom because of their deficient service. Where to go?

The text you are quoting:

I have been using Swisscom’s expensive services for internet, TV and fixed line (Vivo Casa) for more than a year. They installed fiber optics a few months ago and it worked quite well. Everything stopped working last Wednesday. That is 9 days ago!  Since then it has been extremely frustrating to get an answer or a solution from them (I speak French and can deal with them). They say wait 24 hours; they said someone will come to your house; they cancelled the technician’s visit; they said wait till Friday; wait till Monday; we promise it will be solved by Thursday; and today (Friday –one week later) they said again “please be patient until 17:00”. Basically it's been a joke. I have given up on them. My partner works from home so high speed internet for video-calls, streaming video, etc is essential.

My question is: What are other alternatives for fast and reliable Internet? Any tips will be much appreciated. I am also on the edge of cancelling 3 cell phone lines with Swisscom because of their deficient service. Where to go?

xavieroAug 29, 2014 @ 10:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

28 Replies | 5871 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swisscom has failed miserably. Other options for internet?
Post 1

I recently had a similar problem.  They told me that a technician would come in 9 days!

I started complaining by tweeting about my experience on their English and French customer care twitter accounts and they first reduced it to 5 days.  Then, surprise, surprise, a technician knocked on the door the next morning and fixed everything (replaced faulty router and/or cable).

So it looks like harassing into providing good service them may work!

I recently had a similar problem.  They told me that a technician would come in 9 days!

I started complaining by tweeting about my experience on their English and French customer care twitter accounts and they first reduced it to 5 days.  Then, surprise, surprise, a technician knocked on the door the next morning and fixed everything (replaced faulty router and/or cable).

nmcp, Aug 29, 2014 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Aug 29, 14 14:03

Celts wha hae !

Celts wha hae !

Ritchie, Aug 29, 2014 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I've been quite vocal on social media... and they have responded. But the answer is always, "please be patient a bit longer". The worst part is that one of their people on the phone actually admitted that Swisscom had displaced my line by mistake a sthey thought I was moving....  Anyway, a total mess. 

I've been quite vocal on social media... and they have responded. But the answer is always, "please be patient a bit longer". The worst part is that one of their people on the phone actually admitted that Swisscom had displaced my line by mistake a sthey thought I was moving....  Anyway, a total mess. 

xaviero, Aug 29, 2014 @ 14:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I will be keeping a close eye on this...about a month and half ago i got the long awaited SMS to tell me my fibre optic was ready to go !! Yeah Right....3 technicians later and numerous hours spent talking to help centre and still no super duper connection. Obviously when the fibre was laid, no testing took place at all.... go figure..

I will be keeping a close eye on this...about a month and half ago i got the long awaited SMS to tell me my fibre optic was ready to go !! Yeah Right....3 technicians later and numerous hours spent talking to help centre and still no super duper connection. Obviously when the fibre was laid, no testing took place at all.... go figure..

Jeffery S, Aug 29, 2014 @ 15:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Aug 29, 14 15:47

Steady on, Jeff!  You don’t want Swisscom saying you’re racist.

Best, R.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Aug 29, 2014 @ 16:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I didnt have problems with them, had my fiber optics installed last year November and whatever was missing was replaced within 2 days.

Good luck

I didnt have problems with them, had my fiber optics installed last year November and whatever was missing was replaced within 2 days.

Good luck

Dorothy W, Aug 29, 2014 @ 16:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Best, R.

Aug 29, 14 16:05

Well it may have a certain 'ring' to it..!!

Cheers 

Well it may have a certain 'ring' to it..!!

Cheers 

Jeffery S, Aug 29, 2014 @ 17:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

You can expect this grade of internet service at residential connection.

Reliable internet connection doesn't exist! Just a suggestion of your partner! when i used to work from home i had three internet connections! Cablecom,Swisscom(fixed) and swisscom (Mobile). When you work from home and all your livelihood rely on internet connection. You don't take risk of a downtime! especially in my field! So maybe it is worth paying little bit more money to keep the internet alive!  Best of luck for your connection! hope they will fix it soon and keep in mind before switching to other internet providers! none of them are reliable either! 

You can expect this grade of internet service at residential connection.

Reliable internet connection doesn't exist! Just a suggestion of your partner! when i used to work from home i had three internet connections! Cablecom,Swisscom(fixed) and swisscom (Mobile). When you work from home and all your livelihood rely on internet connection. You don't take risk of a downtime! especially in my field! So maybe it is worth paying little bit more money to keep the internet alive!  Best of luck for your connection! hope they will fix it soon and keep in mind before switching to other internet providers! none of them are reliable either! 

waqas s, Aug 29, 2014 @ 23:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

It has been 13 days and still no solution. I called this morning just to let them know that in spite of their promises there is still no internet at home. I did not want to spend 30 minutes like each time, so I asked that if anyone with solutions wants to talk, to contact me. Two hours later they called and asked for “more patience”… I asked them to do two things for me: a) work on their billing system to ensure that I do not get charged for the days without service (I can already anticipate the next chapter in this mess…); b) to write down on my file that if by Wednesday 3 September 9:00 they have not solved the issue, to cancel my contract with Swisscom definitely. If it gets to that I will also cancel the 3 cell phone lines I have with them.

As I told the lady on the phone, I would have much rather they tell me from day 1 that I would not have internet service for 15 days, rather than treat me like a fool and make me waste so much time.

I have calculated how much my household pays to Swisscom per year and it is ridiculously high. Time to downsize and get better customer service (fingers crossed).

Anyone has experience with Cablecom?

It has been 13 days and still no solution. I called this morning just to let them know that in spite of their promises there is still no internet at home. I did not want to spend 30 minutes like each time, so I asked that if anyone with solutions wants to talk, to contact me. Two hours later they called and asked for “more patience”… I asked them to do two things for me: a) work on their billing system to ensure that I do not get charged for the days without service (I can already anticipate the next chapter in this mess…); b) to write down on my file that if by Wednesday 3 September 9:00 they have not solved the issue, to cancel my contract with Swisscom definitely. If it gets to that I will also cancel the 3 cell phone lines I have with them.

As I told the lady on the phone, I would have much rather they tell me from day 1 that I would not have internet service for 15 days, rather than treat me like a fool and make me waste so much time.

I have calculated how much my household pays to Swisscom per year and it is ridiculously high. Time to downsize and get better customer service (fingers crossed).

xaviero, Sep 1, 2014 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I have been through the ringer with Swisscom and definitely understand - the best thing I can suggest is get well versed in IT support :).  I work from home as well, when all of the sudden the router no longer recognized my computer.  I called Swisscom and it turned out that i had to update the routers firmware.  I was told I could have a technician in.... days or try to do it myself.  Using online tutorials 2 mobiles, 1 mobile hotspot and my laptop I was able to fix the problem myself - while virtually on the point of crying at any moment. i was able to fix the problem - my philosophy with Swisscom is 'i'll just take care of it'....

I have been through the ringer with Swisscom and definitely understand - the best thing I can suggest is get well versed in IT support :).  I work from home as well, when all of the sudden the router no longer recognized my computer.  I called Swisscom and it turned out that i had to update the routers firmware.  I was told I could have a technician in.... days or try to do it myself.  Using online tutorials 2 mobiles, 1 mobile hotspot and my laptop I was able to fix the problem myself - while virtually on the point of crying at any moment. i was able to fix the problem - my philosophy with Swisscom is 'i'll just take care of it'....

Michelle Fotopoulou, Sep 1, 2014 @ 15:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

recently i had a long conversation with the swisscom technician. they are pretty good and reliable i have found. a point to note on the level of service they offer as compared to cablecom, for example, is that when they offer an internet access speed of say 20Mb, it is considered as a private line/connection and that your connection at this speed to the POP ( swisscom Point of Presence) in your local area, is not a shared accecss but reserved just for you. once within the internet network of course, all connections are multiplexed (shared). 

nevertheless the contract always states "best effort" which holds them to nothing, and if service is down, this means you still have to pay!!!

swisscom does have a very comprehensive technical service and have many online (if you can get online :-) services to resolve router issues. their new router by the way, is 2.4Gb and 5Gb for less interference from other local users!! plus it has 2 usb ports for an external hard drive for a "cloud like" local area netwok. very impressive!! 

recently i had a long conversation with the swisscom technician. they are pretty good and reliable i have found. a point to note on the level of service they offer as compared to cablecom, for example, is that when they offer an internet access speed of say 20Mb, it is considered as a private line/connection and that your connection at this speed to the POP ( swisscom Point of Presence) in your local area, is not a shared accecss but reserved just for you. once within the internet network of course, all connections are multiplexed (shared). 

nevertheless the contract always states "best effort" which holds them to nothing, and if service is down, this means you still have to pay!!!

swisscom does have a very comprehensive technical service and have many online (if you can get online :-) services to resolve router issues. their new router by the way, is 2.4Gb and 5Gb for less interference from other local users!! plus it has 2 usb ports for an external hard drive for a "cloud like" local area netwok. very impressive!! 

epicure, Sep 1, 2014 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Sep 1, 14 15:30

Most of the times when I have had a problem I have resolved issues by myself, or with help from the tech support. The problem now is that they took my whole phone line away because they got confused and thought I was moving..... so there is absolutely no internet, no phone line, nothing! Thanks to the Iphone hotspot and getting creative we have managed so far. We'll see how this saga ends. 

Most of the times when I have had a problem I have resolved issues by myself, or with help from the tech support. The problem now is that they took my whole phone line away because they got confused and thought I was moving..... so there is absolutely no internet, no phone line, nothing! Thanks to the Iphone hotspot and getting creative we have managed so far. We'll see how this saga ends. 

xaviero, Sep 1, 2014 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Sep 1, 14 16:57

I too have a new router and as you say is impressive...noww...if only they could get it going for me !!!!

I too have a new router and as you say is impressive...noww...if only they could get it going for me !!!!

Jeffery S, Sep 1, 2014 @ 18:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Sep 1, 14 11:53

Cablecom is just as bad. The person who suggested signing up with more than one company is probably actually doing a wise thing to be on the safe side.

Cablecom is just as bad. The person who suggested signing up with more than one company is probably actually doing a wise thing to be on the safe side.

Carrie O, Sep 1, 2014 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

After 16 days without internet, tv and telephone at home finally Swisscom offered a solution! While they repair the messy fiber optics connection (which worked fine for 3 months or so) they sent me all the material and I just activated the router via the ADSL line. In conclusion, I am going back to older technology but at least I am back online… Let’s see how long this lasts and when I can go back to fiber optics.

I am writing a lengthy letter to their customer service people so they can see the many occasions where they made promises that were not kept, and where they basically lied to my face. This solution, found by someone on day 15, could have been offered on day 1. I know customer service is not the best around here but this was really over the top “if you don’t like it go elsewhere; sorry we can't do anything” attitude…

Now, I really hope I don’t get two invoices for the two services or that they somehow end up billing me for the days with no service. I hope I am wrong. 

After 16 days without internet, tv and telephone at home finally Swisscom offered a solution! While they repair the messy fiber optics connection (which worked fine for 3 months or so) they sent me all the material and I just activated the router via the ADSL line. In conclusion, I am going back to older technology but at least I am back online… Let’s see how long this lasts and when I can go back to fiber optics.

I am writing a lengthy letter to their customer service people so they can see the many occasions where they made promises that were not kept, and where they basically lied to my face. This solution, found by someone on day 15, could have been offered on day 1. I know customer service is not the best around here but this was really over the top “if you don’t like it go elsewhere; sorry we can't do anything” attitude…

Now, I really hope I don’t get two invoices for the two services or that they somehow end up billing me for the days with no service. I hope I am wrong. 

xaviero, Sep 4, 2014 @ 14:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Well today another SMS saying you are good to go.....except it isn't...yet another phone call to tell them so. But wait....it could be anytime today they say !! What time I ask...oohh some time between 4 and 5 they say.!! I say ..bollocks you really have no idea do you...not sure they understood what bollocks meant.!! The worry is that I got a message via my browser yesterday saying that in 3 days all my other services will be discontinued because I now have fibre optic.... Part Deux tomorrow folks !!

Well today another SMS saying you are good to go.....except it isn't...yet another phone call to tell them so. But wait....it could be anytime today they say !! What time I ask...oohh some time between 4 and 5 they say.!! I say ..bollocks you really have no idea do you...not sure they understood what bollocks meant.!! The worry is that I got a message via my browser yesterday saying that in 3 days all my other services will be discontinued because I now have fibre optic.... Part Deux tomorrow folks !!

Jeffery S, Sep 4, 2014 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Cablecom is working well for me so far.  The internet has been very reliable since I started the service 2 years ago, and I find the speed to be good.  However, I do want to get rid of the tv and fixed phone (which I don't even use).  

I hope they won't bill you for the 15 days you had no service and the technician calls / visits.  I'm sure that will be something you'll have to raise some hell about.

Good luck

Cablecom is working well for me so far.  The internet has been very reliable since I started the service 2 years ago, and I find the speed to be good.  However, I do want to get rid of the tv and fixed phone (which I don't even use).  

I hope they won't bill you for the 15 days you had no service and the technician calls / visits.  I'm sure that will be something you'll have to raise some hell about.

Good luck

Jean-Jacques B, Sep 4, 2014 @ 15:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

When i lived in Ticino I had Cablecom which was fab. Here in the geneva area Cablecom is operated by a company called Nexoo. Although not as good as Cablecom itself, i think they are better than Swisscom. 

btw I share your frustration (i am italian mothertonge and can certainly deal with them!). Only last night internet and IPTV went down for the third time in 2 monthas. The box has been changed twice with very little improvement. unfortunately where we live, in soral, there is no other laternative. sigh!

When i lived in Ticino I had Cablecom which was fab. Here in the geneva area Cablecom is operated by a company called Nexoo. Although not as good as Cablecom itself, i think they are better than Swisscom. 

btw I share your frustration (i am italian mothertonge and can certainly deal with them!). Only last night internet and IPTV went down for the third time in 2 monthas. The box has been changed twice with very little improvement. unfortunately where we live, in soral, there is no other laternative. sigh!

materaf, Sep 5, 2014 @ 14:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Part Duex as promised...well Swisscom are sending yet another technician (that makes four so far...) on Wednesday...stay tuned folks...

Part Duex as promised...well Swisscom are sending yet another technician (that makes four so far...) on Wednesday...stay tuned folks...

Jeffery S, Sep 5, 2014 @ 17:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Good luck

Sep 4, 14 15:14

Just wait until it is the day before an interview and you need to do something crucial, then bam!

Was my experience when I was unemployed in Fribourg.

Keep positive and keep giving them good publicity! Wink

Just wait until it is the day before an interview and you need to do something crucial, then bam!

Was my experience when I was unemployed in Fribourg.

Keep positive and keep giving them good publicity! Wink

Carrie O, Sep 5, 2014 @ 18:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

I have had the same lack of service after fibre optic installation (and subsequent fight) with Swisscom as many of the stories above so I won't repeat mine BUT it is important that we all contact the Federal telecoms ombudsman. The rise in complaints to the telecoms ombudsman specifically about Swisscom got a tiny bit of press recently so their under investment and lack of testing is clearly a major problem.

My advice is DO NOT LET IT DRAG ON, I enclose a link below. You must have contacted and complained to Swisscom first and if it has not been resolved then click on the "procedures" tab in the link and follow the steps. Unfortunately only in French & German. 

http://www.ombudscom.ch/bonjour/bienvenue-chez-ombudscom

I have had the same lack of service after fibre optic installation (and subsequent fight) with Swisscom as many of the stories above so I won't repeat mine BUT it is important that we all contact the Federal telecoms ombudsman. The rise in complaints to the telecoms ombudsman specifically about Swisscom got a tiny bit of press recently so their under investment and lack of testing is clearly a major problem.

My advice is DO NOT LET IT DRAG ON, I enclose a link below. You must have contacted and complained to Swisscom first and if it has not been resolved then click on the "procedures" tab in the link and follow the steps. Unfortunately only in French & German. 

SamW, Sep 5, 2014 @ 22:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Sep 5, 14 22:08

JEEZ...I had a nice answer all typed up and when I hit the post button....it just vanished into thin air. Thank you, Nir, Swisscom, Cable Com,  Samsung, and my chubby fingers which may be too fat to operate modern day touch screens.

Thank you, God, for all my blessings and most of all for my sense of humor.

JEEZ...I had a nice answer all typed up and when I hit the post button....it just vanished into thin air. Thank you, Nir, Swisscom, Cable Com,  Samsung, and my chubby fingers which may be too fat to operate modern day touch screens.

Thank you, God, for all my blessings and most of all for my sense of humor.

Carrie O, Sep 6, 2014 @ 02:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

My former comment which vanished had been about endurance and health.

My former comment which vanished had been about endurance and health.

Carrie O, Sep 6, 2014 @ 02:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

I had serious problems with swisscom for my home wifi and finally opted for UPC cablecom. At least its cheaper so I dont expect too much but so far I am impressed. 6 months and counting

I had serious problems with swisscom for my home wifi and finally opted for UPC cablecom. At least its cheaper so I dont expect too much but so far I am impressed. 6 months and counting

Marcy S, Sep 7, 2014 @ 09:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Sep 4, 14 14:12

Funny I didnt have problems with them (touch wood). I guess where people work mistakes happen. Maybe in your area things dont work so smooth and fast as in my area which is the region of Basel. I guess you are around Geneva, maybe they are different, I dont know though.

Funny I didnt have problems with them (touch wood). I guess where people work mistakes happen. Maybe in your area things dont work so smooth and fast as in my area which is the region of Basel. I guess you are around Geneva, maybe they are different, I dont know though.

Dorothy W, Sep 7, 2014 @ 12:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Sep 7, 14 12:59

Let me guess...pharmaceutical industry?

Carrie O, Sep 7, 2014 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Sep 7, 14 14:23

But of course … It’s known as getting one’s priorities right.

But of course … It’s known as getting one’s priorities right.

Ritchie, Sep 7, 2014 @ 14:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Update - well finally we have a fibre optic link thanks to a very skilled Swisscom tech who came out and made a couple of phone calls and whaddya know...it works.!! only 2 months late but hey......

Update - well finally we have a fibre optic link thanks to a very skilled Swisscom tech who came out and made a couple of phone calls and whaddya know...it works.!! only 2 months late but hey......

Jeffery S, Sep 12, 2014 @ 08:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
28 Replies | 5871 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form