Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > To all English native speakers: How do you respond to thanks?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
To all English native speakers: How do you respond to thanks?

Dear Glocals English native speakers, 

I'm writing a paper for my Linguistics course at the university where I discuss thanks responses. I would love to insert some "real people's opinions" to illustrate some of my findings, so could you please help me by answering the above question (with as much detail as you have time for) and also inform your sex and native English variety?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Claudia

The text you are quoting:

I'm writing a paper for my Linguistics course at the university where I discuss thanks responses. I would love to insert some "real people's opinions" to illustrate some of my findings, so could you please help me by answering the above question (with as much detail as you have time for) and also inform your sex and native English variety?

Claudia

Claudia CJan 1, 2015 @ 14:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

29 Replies | 2854 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: To all English native speakers: How do you respond to thanks?
Post 1

How do you respond to thanks?

you're very welcome

don't mention it

any time

whatever

you're very welcome

don't mention it

any time

whatever

epicure, Jan 1, 2015 @ 16:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

you're very welcome

don't mention it

any time

whatever

Jan 1, 15 16:49

Do you respond differently in differen situations? When do you use each response? Or you just do it automatically and randomly?

Do you respond differently in differen situations? When do you use each response? Or you just do it automatically and randomly?

Claudia C, Jan 1, 2015 @ 18:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

no, the situation is important. the first 3 replies above are almost automatic and without any thought. the last one (whatever) is really meant to show that the person who thanked you is of no importance to you and that their "thanks" may not even be considered credible.

no, the situation is important. the first 3 replies above are almost automatic and without any thought. the last one (whatever) is really meant to show that the person who thanked you is of no importance to you and that their "thanks" may not even be considered credible.

epicure, Jan 1, 2015 @ 18:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Claudia

Jan 1, 15 14:34

Sorry to sound a little thick, but could you be a little more explicit, please?

Do you mean “how do you say ‘thank you’ to someone who has given or offered you something?

Or do you mean how do you respond to someone who says “thank you” to you for what you have done or said?

Either way, much will depend on the circumstances, i.e.:

what was offered,  given or done;

if it was assistance,was it enlisted or spontaneously offered;

the age of the parties concerned, their relationship to one another, etc., etc.

Thanks for the enlightenment,

R.

Sorry to sound a little thick, but could you be a little more explicit, please?

Do you mean “how do you say ‘thank you’ to someone who has given or offered you something?

Or do you mean how do you respond to someone who says “thank you” to you for what you have done or said?

Either way, much will depend on the circumstances, i.e.:

what was offered,  given or done;

if it was assistance,was it enlisted or spontaneously offered;

the age of the parties concerned, their relationship to one another, etc., etc.

Thanks for the enlightenment,

R.

Ritchie, Jan 1, 2015 @ 18:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Yes,Ritchie's comment is important because context is very important.

As a British person ( transgender) - ha ha,no,just kidding- sometimes an expression of thanks could be met with nothing more than a smile.It really depends on the context.

Yes,Ritchie's comment is important because context is very important.

As a British person ( transgender) - ha ha,no,just kidding- sometimes an expression of thanks could be met with nothing more than a smile.It really depends on the context.

buzzcocks, Jan 2, 2015 @ 23:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

There are many options for this.. Main ones for me.

You're welcome -- default answer, covers everything except sarcasm

Oh it's nothing - I'd use for a situation where thanks is nice, but you should have done it anyway. Maybe like holding open a door.

For me, I do not always respond verbally to thanks, I don't feel it's always necessary. Last week in the coop some school kids were bag packing and after the girl packed my stuff I had no small change so i dropped a 20chf note in the tin.. She was happy, said a big thanks  but I just smiled and walked off. Hard to explain, sometimes peronally I'm just doing something because it's nice, because I should or something like that, I don't need a big thanks.

There are many options for this.. Main ones for me.

You're welcome -- default answer, covers everything except sarcasm

Oh it's nothing - I'd use for a situation where thanks is nice, but you should have done it anyway. Maybe like holding open a door.

For me, I do not always respond verbally to thanks, I don't feel it's always necessary. Last week in the coop some school kids were bag packing and after the girl packed my stuff I had no small change so i dropped a 20chf note in the tin.. She was happy, said a big thanks  but I just smiled and walked off. Hard to explain, sometimes peronally I'm just doing something because it's nice, because I should or something like that, I don't need a big thanks.

John H, Jan 3, 2015 @ 15:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

That's interesting- why were schoolchildren packing bags in the supermarket? And why was there a " tin"?

( sorry,this is off- topic but I have never heard of this before.It seems strange)

That's interesting- why were schoolchildren packing bags in the supermarket? And why was there a " tin"?

( sorry,this is off- topic but I have never heard of this before.It seems strange)

buzzcocks, Jan 3, 2015 @ 18:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Jan 3, 15 18:33

The kids were at each checkout - helping to pack the shopping to raise money for a school trip somewhere.. 

The "Tin"  -- Just a recepticle to collect donations. 

It's very common practice in the UK, schools or other organisations raising money.. i've only seen it a few times here in CH, larger COOPs usually.

The kids were at each checkout - helping to pack the shopping to raise money for a school trip somewhere.. 

The "Tin"  -- Just a recepticle to collect donations. 

It's very common practice in the UK, schools or other organisations raising money.. i've only seen it a few times here in CH, larger COOPs usually.

John H, Jan 5, 2015 @ 16:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Back on topic (although an amusing distraction), I believe (to answer Ritchie) Claudia is missing some punctuation.

I assume she means: How do you respond to "Thanks"?

"You're welcome" covers everything INCLUDING sarcasm - I often say it to someone when they SHOULD have said "Thanks" but didn't.

Any American/English should be taken with a large dose of caution if you're referring to this side of the Atlantic.  I also use "Don't mention it" when someone SHOULD have said "Thanks" - but didn't.

As in "Don't mention it......oh, you didn't, did you....."

Yeah, I hear you, maybe I'm just a sarky bitch!

"Whatever" is only applicable if you're 16 years old and have the arse of your trousers somewhere down by your knees.

But as Ritchie pointed out, it's a bit of a generalisation as it depends very much on the circumstances and the person. 

It could range from:

From my best mate - "Thanks" - Response "I should bloody well hope so, you won't believe how much that cost!".

From my elderly neighbour "Thanks" (wouldn't happen - more like, "That was very kind") - Response:  "It was an absolute pleasure".

From my father - "Thanks, darling, you're the best" - Response - Faint.....

From my boss - "Thanks" - Response "All in a day's work" - accompanied by an amused shoulder shrug and a muttered aside of "remember that at bonus time".

So you can see that you need to be more specific - as Ritchie point out - and give examples of who's saying "Thanks" - what the "Thanks" is in response too, the situation - the culture of the person thanking/being thanked, the age, gender, background......

And so on and so on.....

And as you asked so nicely - "it was a pleasure, if I can be of any more assistance, please just drop me a line" 

Back on topic (although an amusing distraction), I believe (to answer Ritchie) Claudia is missing some punctuation.

I assume she means: How do you respond to "Thanks"?

"You're welcome" covers everything INCLUDING sarcasm - I often say it to someone when they SHOULD have said "Thanks" but didn't.

Any American/English should be taken with a large dose of caution if you're referring to this side of the Atlantic.  I also use "Don't mention it" when someone SHOULD have said "Thanks" - but didn't.

As in "Don't mention it......oh, you didn't, did you....."

Yeah, I hear you, maybe I'm just a sarky bitch!

"Whatever" is only applicable if you're 16 years old and have the arse of your trousers somewhere down by your knees.

But as Ritchie pointed out, it's a bit of a generalisation as it depends very much on the circumstances and the person. 

It could range from:

From my best mate - "Thanks" - Response "I should bloody well hope so, you won't believe how much that cost!".

From my elderly neighbour "Thanks" (wouldn't happen - more like, "That was very kind") - Response:  "It was an absolute pleasure".

From my father - "Thanks, darling, you're the best" - Response - Faint.....

From my boss - "Thanks" - Response "All in a day's work" - accompanied by an amused shoulder shrug and a muttered aside of "remember that at bonus time".

So you can see that you need to be more specific - as Ritchie point out - and give examples of who's saying "Thanks" - what the "Thanks" is in response too, the situation - the culture of the person thanking/being thanked, the age, gender, background......

And so on and so on.....

And as you asked so nicely - "it was a pleasure, if I can be of any more assistance, please just drop me a line" 

Carolyn C, Jan 5, 2015 @ 18:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

If it's a casual situation, I will almost always respond with a 'no problem' or 'no worries.' Otherwise, in a more formal setting, 'You're welcome.'

If it's a casual situation, I will almost always respond with a 'no problem' or 'no worries.' Otherwise, in a more formal setting, 'You're welcome.'

Dania M, Jan 5, 2015 @ 21:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jan 5, 15 21:12

Where I came from the use of “you’re welcome” was the antithesis of propriety and good taste, and while I’ve movcd on quite a bit from those days, the phrase “you’re welcome” still makes me cringe ever so slightly as does the French import “no problem”. 

In the hey-day of the “no problem”

reply, I had a true blue Brit. boss who went near-apoplectic if a junior staff member mumbled “no problem” in response to the big man’s “thank you”.

“For God’ sake”, he would thunder, “I simply asked young ‘X’ to bring me the file on his desk.  Why did he have to make that  a problem?”

Be that as it may, there’s no magical one- size-fits-all  formula to acknowledge an expression of appreciation.  And praise whoever you believe in for that. 

We have a rich vocabulary at our finger tips.  Let’s learn to use it to    

truly fit the context whenever we can.  Just as the human body needs exercise and maintenance, so does our vocabulary if it is to grow and flourish.

If we don’t use it, future generations will lose it..

My thanks – if you’ve read this far!

R.

Where I came from the use of “you’re welcome” was the antithesis of propriety and good taste, and while I’ve movcd on quite a bit from those days, the phrase “you’re welcome” still makes me cringe ever so slightly as does the French import “no problem”. 

In the hey-day of the “no problem”

reply, I had a true blue Brit. boss who went near-apoplectic if a junior staff member mumbled “no problem” in response to the big man’s “thank you”.

“For God’ sake”, he would thunder, “I simply asked young ‘X’ to bring me the file on his desk.  Why did he have to make that  a problem?”

Be that as it may, there’s no magical one- size-fits-all  formula to acknowledge an expression of appreciation.  And praise whoever you believe in for that. 

We have a rich vocabulary at our finger tips.  Let’s learn to use it to    

truly fit the context whenever we can.  Just as the human body needs exercise and maintenance, so does our vocabulary if it is to grow and flourish.

If we don’t use it, future generations will lose it..

My thanks – if you’ve read this far!

R.

Ritchie, Jan 5, 2015 @ 23:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi Ritchie,

I've never heard of anyone thinking "you're welcome" being in bad taste. What, then, was the proper response?

I also think "no problem" is fine although I personally don't use it a a response to thanks, more when being asked to do something. I've always thought of it as an Americanism, what makes you think it's a French import? In any case its variants such as "no sweat" or the Scottish "nae bother" have been around a long time.

Personally I don't think a simple "thanks" always requires a response. If someone gave me a heartfelt thank you I would go with "you're welcome". Most commonly my response to thanks would be to thank them back, assuming you've been involved in some transaction in which both have provided a service (e.g. in a shop: you hand over the money, the shopkeeper says thanks; they hand you the change, you say thanks; that's it).

Hi Ritchie,

I've never heard of anyone thinking "you're welcome" being in bad taste. What, then, was the proper response?

I also think "no problem" is fine although I personally don't use it a a response to thanks, more when being asked to do something. I've always thought of it as an Americanism, what makes you think it's a French import? In any case its variants such as "no sweat" or the Scottish "nae bother" have been around a long time.

Personally I don't think a simple "thanks" always requires a response. If someone gave me a heartfelt thank you I would go with "you're welcome". Most commonly my response to thanks would be to thank them back, assuming you've been involved in some transaction in which both have provided a service (e.g. in a shop: you hand over the money, the shopkeeper says thanks; they hand you the change, you say thanks; that's it).

adam_jeff, Jan 6, 2015 @ 09:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Fo Sheezy

Fo Shizzle

Fo Sho

Fo Sheezy

Fo Shizzle

Fo Sho

Max B, Jan 27, 2015 @ 17:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I often (still) use the common Americanism "Uh huh". It's a holdover from my up-bringing, and covers as many situations needing a response to almost anything.

I often (still) use the common Americanism "Uh huh". It's a holdover from my up-bringing, and covers as many situations needing a response to almost anything.

J K, Jan 27, 2015 @ 20:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

- no problem

- the pleasure is mine

- "avec plaisir" 

- no worries

- what do you mean "thanks"? Take your clothes off!

- no problem

- the pleasure is mine

- "avec plaisir" 

- no worries

- what do you mean "thanks"? Take your clothes off!

Nir Ofek, Jan 27, 2015 @ 21:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

'whatever' Sealed

and your welcome

'whatever' Sealed

and your welcome

Dave G, Jan 28, 2015 @ 02:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

I had a colleague who usually responded, "my pleasure." He was not a native English speaker, and it was just nice to hear.

And...I once had this discussion with a student who was asking for variations of "you're welcome," and told him that someone might say "the pleasure was mine." He did not like this at all, and said it sounded pompous.  !  

I often find myself thanking people back when they thank me.

Context is key, as the others have said.

I fully agree with Ritchie that vocabulary must be fed, maintanined and regularly worked out!

A nod of the head or slowly closing your eyes (or both) can sometimes be a response to "thank you."

I had a colleague who usually responded, "my pleasure." He was not a native English speaker, and it was just nice to hear.

And...I once had this discussion with a student who was asking for variations of "you're welcome," and told him that someone might say "the pleasure was mine." He did not like this at all, and said it sounded pompous.  !  

I fully agree with Ritchie that vocabulary must be fed, maintanined and regularly worked out!

A nod of the head or slowly closing your eyes (or both) can sometimes be a response to "thank you."

Carrie O, Jan 28, 2015 @ 02:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

'whatever' Sealed

and your welcome

Jan 28, 15 02:07

Sadly, people do write "your" instead of "you're."

Carrie O, Jan 28, 2015 @ 02:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Jan 28, 15 02:38

Dear Carrie, I feel your pain but many of this site’s users are not native English speakers so mistakes do happen.  In any case, it seems that even so-called qualified English teachers are unable to explain the use and purpose of the apostrophe, capital letters and much else besides, so how can we expect young people, including university graduates, to know any better?

Dear Carrie, I feel your pain but many of this site’s users are not native English speakers so mistakes do happen.  In any case, it seems that even so-called qualified English teachers are unable to explain the use and purpose of the apostrophe, capital letters and much else besides, so how can we expect young people, including university graduates, to know any better?

Ritchie, Jan 28, 2015 @ 03:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Jan 28, 15 02:36

I wouldn't close my eyes seperate from nodding my head.   Tongue Out

J K, Jan 28, 2015 @ 07:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Jan 28, 15 07:39

I'm thinking of the faintest of nods, where the head hardly moves, and my eyes close at the same time.

I often give the nod when I'm driving and I know the person crossing the street in front of me cannot hear me. I see the word "Merci" on their lips, because they are happy that I stopped the car, and I do the nod as a "de rien." 

I'm thinking of the faintest of nods, where the head hardly moves, and my eyes close at the same time.

I often give the nod when I'm driving and I know the person crossing the street in front of me cannot hear me. I see the word "Merci" on their lips, because they are happy that I stopped the car, and I do the nod as a "de rien." 

Carrie O, Jan 28, 2015 @ 09:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Jan 28, 15 03:26

Yes, we are all guilty of typos at times (even teachers and former teachers).

I saw later that I wrote "maintanined" or something like that, but it is an understandable typo. Sorry for my spelling mistake.

Going forward, some people might say "yer welkum" or "welcome" all on its own.

Wink 

I saw later that I wrote "maintanined" or something like that, but it is an understandable typo. Sorry for my spelling mistake.

Wink 

Carrie O, Jan 28, 2015 @ 09:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

This is hard and has got me thinking

I have no set rules as it depends on my mood and the person who thanked me (even physical person)

e.g if it is some old bat who scares the sh...t out of me it might be a kurt nod or a slight raising of the hands

If it involved quite a long task e.g bringing a dog of a mountain then it might be 'it was no trouble'

or I am glad I was able to do it

For shorter actions

e.g I offer my seat on the bus it would be a smile or 'that's OK' although the last time I offered I was 'yes you should! ' -so there was no reply from my side

Normally - my pleasure, it's Ok ; it's alright ; cheers (if I am in a pub) but I do not make a big fuss about responding and prefer a smile or a nod of the head 

This is hard and has got me thinking

I have no set rules as it depends on my mood and the person who thanked me (even physical person)

e.g if it is some old bat who scares the sh...t out of me it might be a kurt nod or a slight raising of the hands

If it involved quite a long task e.g bringing a dog of a mountain then it might be 'it was no trouble'

or I am glad I was able to do it

For shorter actions

e.g I offer my seat on the bus it would be a smile or 'that's OK' although the last time I offered I was 'yes you should! ' -so there was no reply from my side

Normally - my pleasure, it's Ok ; it's alright ; cheers (if I am in a pub) but I do not make a big fuss about responding and prefer a smile or a nod of the head 

Paul E, Jan 28, 2015 @ 09:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Wink 

Jan 28, 15 09:34

Or, let’ say, “fink nuffink ovit” –

but if the heart’s in the right place ...

Or, let’ say, “fink nuffink ovit” –

but if the heart’s in the right place ...

Ritchie, Jan 28, 2015 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

What about when giving that slight smile from both ends of the mouth, or just one end (if you're tired or lazy).  Then again, it can also look a bit creepy, eh?    Undecided

What about when giving that slight smile from both ends of the mouth, or just one end (if you're tired or lazy).  Then again, it can also look a bit creepy, eh?    Undecided

J K, Jan 28, 2015 @ 11:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Jan 28, 15 11:19

What used to be called a “crook-ed smile”?

Ritchie, Jan 28, 2015 @ 11:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Jan 28, 15 11:41

Are we talking about replying to a "thank you" or having a stroke now? Embarassed 

You guys are creeping me out, and I am banning myself from this Forum the rest of the day. Got work to do. Have fun, non-working folk!

...and THANK YOU! 

Are we talking about replying to a "thank you" or having a stroke now? Embarassed 

You guys are creeping me out, and I am banning myself from this Forum the rest of the day. Got work to do. Have fun, non-working folk!

...and THANK YOU! 

Carrie O, Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

99% of the time I say "No worries"  

Female/American English

99% of the time I say "No worries"  

Female/American English

Andrea K, Jan 28, 2015 @ 16:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Yes Ritchie!   Sealed

Yes Ritchie!   Sealed

J K, Jan 28, 2015 @ 18:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
29 Replies | 2854 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form