Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > To kiss or not to Kiss

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
To kiss or not to Kiss
There is always an awkward moment when I meet people, especially someone I've never met before, when it comes to say hello. Tradition here in Switzerland calls for 3 kisses on the chicks - why 3 and not 2 or 4, I have no idea, in France where I'm from, it is only 2 kisses.

But even though I'm french, I hate kissing... especially people I don't know. Why do people feel the need to lick each other's faces?? 1 kiss should be enough or even just a handshake.
What do you say? How many kisses do you give where you are??

The text you are quoting:
There is always an awkward moment when I meet people, especially someone I've never met before, when it comes to say hello. Tradition here in Switzerland calls for 3 kisses on the chicks - why 3 and not 2 or 4, I have no idea, in France where I'm from, it is only 2 kisses.

But even though I'm french, I hate kissing... especially people I don't know. Why do people feel the need to lick each other's faces?? 1 kiss should be enough or even just a handshake.
PhoebeAug 21, 2013 @ 18:15
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

98 Replies | 11319 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: To kiss or not to Kiss
Post 1

Well I think it's Not compulsory to kiss 

depend exactly on ur sweet wish

if u want to kiss than kiss else hand shank is enough

Well I think it's Not compulsory to kiss 

depend exactly on ur sweet wish

if u want to kiss than kiss else hand shank is enough

Alex M, Aug 21, 2013 @ 18:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

How does it work where you are from Alex?

How does it work where you are from Alex?

Phoebe, Aug 21, 2013 @ 18:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I’ve never known kisses to be exchanged between people who are meeting for the first time.  A degree of relationship has to be established which can be “consecrated” in a short space of time or may take many years before a certain set of circumstances prompts the action.

As to three kisses, I’ve always understood that these represent the blessing of the Holy Trinity in the Christian faith, its origins in CH being in the Valais and other Catholic cantons.

As for France, it was fashionable in Paris a few years back to give four kisses and some of my French friends still practise this.

“Air” kisses are very popular in many circles, demonstrating a degree of affection without going too deep.

It’s also interesting that one can “air kiss” and use “vous”, but when one progresses to “tu-toi”  the kiss on the cheek becomes more meaningful.  You actually feel it.

Which brings me to my own pet aversion:  a kiss on the mouth from a male I hardly know, made even more distasteful if it’s beery.

Howeve, let us rejoice with bisous in spirit to all!

R.

I’ve never known kisses to be exchanged between people who are meeting for the first time.  A degree of relationship has to be established which can be “consecrated” in a short space of time or may take many years before a certain set of circumstances prompts the action.

As to three kisses, I’ve always understood that these represent the blessing of the Holy Trinity in the Christian faith, its origins in CH being in the Valais and other Catholic cantons.

As for France, it was fashionable in Paris a few years back to give four kisses and some of my French friends still practise this.

“Air” kisses are very popular in many circles, demonstrating a degree of affection without going too deep.

It’s also interesting that one can “air kiss” and use “vous”, but when one progresses to “tu-toi”  the kiss on the cheek becomes more meaningful.  You actually feel it.

Which brings me to my own pet aversion:  a kiss on the mouth from a male I hardly know, made even more distasteful if it’s beery.

Howeve, let us rejoice with bisous in spirit to all!

R.

Ritchie, Aug 21, 2013 @ 19:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi, 

I second that and share the same feeling as why kisssing to strange people is necessery? 

On the contrary,  the companions/friends of yours are comfertable with it even with strangers..and sometime you are left with no choice but to go ahead and obey this tradition..in else case, it seems as if you are disrespecting the other person ! Am I right in calling this tradition? 

Pooja

Hi, 

I second that and share the same feeling as why kisssing to strange people is necessery? 

On the contrary,  the companions/friends of yours are comfertable with it even with strangers..and sometime you are left with no choice but to go ahead and obey this tradition..in else case, it seems as if you are disrespecting the other person ! Am I right in calling this tradition? 

Pooja

Pooja S, Aug 21, 2013 @ 20:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Handshakes when I meet a man I don't know and just a hello when it's a woman (as I'm a bit shy). 

Now if the woman goes for a kiss (on the cheek, I never met a woman going for a french kiss on the first meeting...) it's 3.

Handshakes when I meet a man I don't know and just a hello when it's a woman (as I'm a bit shy). 

Now if the woman goes for a kiss (on the cheek, I never met a woman going for a french kiss on the first meeting...) it's 3.

bertrand hubert r, Aug 21, 2013 @ 20:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Well around Basel 3 kisses on the cheek only if you know each other, else shake hands, and I think the rest of the German Swiss Part is 2 kisses or shake hands. The thing is Basel has had so many cultures and influences in all these years, so it has been exposed to a lot.

Innocent

Not so long ago, a young man I know, he grew up in Switzerland but originally from Kosovo and Arab, gave me a kiss on the cheeks but not really touching the cheeks just a symbol, this was also new for me.

With all that said, its different all over.

Well around Basel 3 kisses on the cheek only if you know each other, else shake hands, and I think the rest of the German Swiss Part is 2 kisses or shake hands. The thing is Basel has had so many cultures and influences in all these years, so it has been exposed to a lot.

Innocent

Not so long ago, a young man I know, he grew up in Switzerland but originally from Kosovo and Arab, gave me a kiss on the cheeks but not really touching the cheeks just a symbol, this was also new for me.

Dorothy W, Aug 21, 2013 @ 20:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

When I went to France for the first time it was even four kisses. In Geneva it's three and if you meet French folks now it's two. I always mix it up.

Basically I like it (as in Germany it's rather shake hands) but feel quite silly to imitate the smack (which is mandatory?)

When I went to France for the first time it was even four kisses. In Geneva it's three and if you meet French folks now it's two. I always mix it up.

Basically I like it (as in Germany it's rather shake hands) but feel quite silly to imitate the smack (which is mandatory?)

rena, Aug 21, 2013 @ 20:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I feel so weird here, because I've moved here from America where you don't kiss on a check, so when I meet someone here and they approache me it's still makes me feel uncomfortable and at the end, I end up letting someone awkardly kiss me and then it's like "you are weird" all over their faces :D

I feel so weird here, because I've moved here from America where you don't kiss on a check, so when I meet someone here and they approache me it's still makes me feel uncomfortable and at the end, I end up letting someone awkardly kiss me and then it's like "you are weird" all over their faces :D

Natalie W, Aug 21, 2013 @ 21:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Welcome to Switzerland...

Welcome to Switzerland...

Casuistik, Aug 21, 2013 @ 23:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Innocent

Aug 21, 13 20:35

Different all over... exactly Dorothy, which makes it even more confusing when you live in Geneva, where so many different countries, cultures are represented .... but it is also very interesting to learn about all of it.

Different all over... exactly Dorothy, which makes it even more confusing when you live in Geneva, where so many different countries, cultures are represented .... but it is also very interesting to learn about all of it.

Phoebe, Aug 21, 2013 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jan 1, 70 01:00

That's funny, I never really thought of the other way around...as when I travel to the US, I'm happy I don't have to think about the "kissing or not kissing"... I love it!

That's funny, I never really thought of the other way around...as when I travel to the US, I'm happy I don't have to think about the "kissing or not kissing"... I love it!

Phoebe, Aug 21, 2013 @ 23:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I warn people... "sorry, I only kiss once, I don't like kissing...." and if it's someone I really don't feel like kissing at all, "the one-arm barrier-method with an outstretched hand" works wonder (to quote a friend who described it prety well).

I warn people... "sorry, I only kiss once, I don't like kissing...." and if it's someone I really don't feel like kissing at all, "the one-arm barrier-method with an outstretched hand" works wonder (to quote a friend who described it prety well).

Phoebe, Aug 21, 2013 @ 23:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Jan 1, 70 01:00

True.  Americans do this gender-neutral hugging bullshit; even the men at a social gathering sometimes have this expectation placed onto them (to hug the other men).

I'll take the system here, thankyouverymuch.

True.  Americans do this gender-neutral hugging bullshit; even the men at a social gathering sometimes have this expectation placed onto them (to hug the other men).

I'll take the system here, thankyouverymuch.

richardm, Aug 22, 2013 @ 07:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

It's all about perspective. If this kising is a drag you may want to improve the ratio of people you meet towards good looking, then it'll get much easyer to overcome this barrier. :)

For me, if my friends bring someone new and I kiss them and not the new person I'd almost feel like putting them on a spot. Then again sometimes it's too many people so i don't care....see maybe big gatherings can also help you avodi kisses. ;)

It's all about perspective. If this kising is a drag you may want to improve the ratio of people you meet towards good looking, then it'll get much easyer to overcome this barrier. :)

For me, if my friends bring someone new and I kiss them and not the new person I'd almost feel like putting them on a spot. Then again sometimes it's too many people so i don't care....see maybe big gatherings can also help you avodi kisses. ;)

Zoran J, Aug 22, 2013 @ 07:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

@RichardM: I don't like kissing... it's a very personal preference (nothing to do with where I'm from). Yet, I still love it when foreigners embrace the local habits :))

@Zoran: I'm not trying to overcome anything ... but please let me know when is the next handsome gathering?? ah ah ... I can assure you, the most insanely goodlooking Zoolander can stand in front of me and I would still not want to kiss him (other thoughts might come to mind, but that's another topic...)

@RichardM: I don't like kissing... it's a very personal preference (nothing to do with where I'm from). Yet, I still love it when foreigners embrace the local habits :))

@Zoran: I'm not trying to overcome anything ... but please let me know when is the next handsome gathering?? ah ah ... I can assure you, the most insanely goodlooking Zoolander can stand in front of me and I would still not want to kiss him (other thoughts might come to mind, but that's another topic...)

Phoebe, Aug 22, 2013 @ 08:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I think we need to do what we feel good about. I am Swiss (french part) and where I come from we do the 3 kisses. However, there is often situations where I don't feel the need or the envy to do it. And a nice and generous smile replace easily this physical contact, and I am sure that majority of people will not be ofended if you chose that path. When I am in the mood to do the 3K, and I feel the other person is not, (this "ackward moment" as you say very well) I always go for the smily hello and a nice comment to help the person to get back into a comfort zone. long story short, just do what you feel, people have to respect your choice. The 3 kisses has not a key role for a succesful interation / discussion / etc... just my opinion 

I think we need to do what we feel good about. I am Swiss (french part) and where I come from we do the 3 kisses. However, there is often situations where I don't feel the need or the envy to do it. And a nice and generous smile replace easily this physical contact, and I am sure that majority of people will not be ofended if you chose that path. When I am in the mood to do the 3K, and I feel the other person is not, (this "ackward moment" as you say very well) I always go for the smily hello and a nice comment to help the person to get back into a comfort zone. long story short, just do what you feel, people have to respect your choice. The 3 kisses has not a key role for a succesful interation / discussion / etc... just my opinion 

Olivier C, Aug 22, 2013 @ 09:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Great thread! I've always struggled to figure this out.

In Australia, we tend to kiss the women we know well when we see them (both greetings and farewells) and it tends to be a real kiss ie. not just the brushing of cheeks that happen here. But you definitely need a pre-existing relationship with the person before you start doing that.

Similarly, with men a clench (sort of stopping just short of a full-on hug) can be acceptable with guys you know, particularly if you haven't seen them in a long time.

But on first meeting it's always a handshake.

Great thread! I've always struggled to figure this out.

In Australia, we tend to kiss the women we know well when we see them (both greetings and farewells) and it tends to be a real kiss ie. not just the brushing of cheeks that happen here. But you definitely need a pre-existing relationship with the person before you start doing that.

Similarly, with men a clench (sort of stopping just short of a full-on hug) can be acceptable with guys you know, particularly if you haven't seen them in a long time.

But on first meeting it's always a handshake.

Anura S, Aug 22, 2013 @ 09:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

@Olivier C - you have a good approach...And a smile always help.

@Anura S: I like the guys clench, I've seen it in Beirut as well.

@Olivier C - you have a good approach...And a smile always help.

@Anura S: I like the guys clench, I've seen it in Beirut as well.

Phoebe, Aug 22, 2013 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Innocent

Aug 21, 13 20:35

Zurich is three kisses as well.

Unless you're me.  Kisses are reserved for family and members of the opposite sex I'm attracted to and already know well, otherwise it's a hug or handshake, depending on gender.

Zurich is three kisses as well.

Unless you're me.  Kisses are reserved for family and members of the opposite sex I'm attracted to and already know well, otherwise it's a hug or handshake, depending on gender.

Lart U, Aug 22, 2013 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Aug 21, 13 20:56

Oh, the worst part is meeting a British person, or French, any other nationality whose greeting tradition is other than the three alternating cheek kisses.  You know they've been here a while, they've maybe got into the local habits.  So then you're both standing there after the second kiss going "Go for the third, or not?", so you hesitate, dither, your lips meet, and before you know what's happening you've got your tongue in his mouth and his beard is scratching you.

If you're a straight guy this is really not a good thing to happen.

I'm guessing.

Oh, the worst part is meeting a British person, or French, any other nationality whose greeting tradition is other than the three alternating cheek kisses.  You know they've been here a while, they've maybe got into the local habits.  So then you're both standing there after the second kiss going "Go for the third, or not?", so you hesitate, dither, your lips meet, and before you know what's happening you've got your tongue in his mouth and his beard is scratching you.

I'm guessing.

Lart U, Aug 22, 2013 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Geneva being a huge melting pot of nationalities and cultures, it's safe to say there are no real rules...

Geneva being a huge melting pot of nationalities and cultures, it's safe to say there are no real rules...

Phoebe, Aug 22, 2013 @ 10:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

"5) I personally wouldn't recommend applying "the one-arm barrier-method" (unless there's no other way to escape from a kiss). One may find it unfriendly or even hostile (especially, if he/she does not intentionally want to make you feel uncomfortable) and you may not be able to build a meaningful relationship with that person afterwards."

@Steven S: it's always done with a big smile on my face while looking straight at the person :) ... it does make it sound a little stiff, but in practice it's a little more relaxed.

"5) I personally wouldn't recommend applying "the one-arm barrier-method" (unless there's no other way to escape from a kiss). One may find it unfriendly or even hostile (especially, if he/she does not intentionally want to make you feel uncomfortable) and you may not be able to build a meaningful relationship with that person afterwards."

@Steven S: it's always done with a big smile on my face while looking straight at the person :) ... it does make it sound a little stiff, but in practice it's a little more relaxed.

Phoebe, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

PS: I'm glad nobody gave me a hard time for my freudian slip "Tradition here in Switzerland calls for 3 kisses on the chicks"

How cheeky....

PS: I'm glad nobody gave me a hard time for my freudian slip "Tradition here in Switzerland calls for 3 kisses on the chicks"

How cheeky....

Phoebe, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Anything is nice as long as it is sincere and meaningful.

A simple warm smile.

A hug.

One real kiss on the cheek is enough and better than the cheek brushings.

Kissing hand is pretty awkawrd nowadays but I still met a few men who did it.

Shaking hand, I am not a fan, especially when you get a flabby sweaty one...

On a first encounter, I'd go for a large welcoming smile.

Anything is nice as long as it is sincere and meaningful.

A simple warm smile.

A hug.

One real kiss on the cheek is enough and better than the cheek brushings.

Kissing hand is pretty awkawrd nowadays but I still met a few men who did it.

Shaking hand, I am not a fan, especially when you get a flabby sweaty one...

On a first encounter, I'd go for a large welcoming smile.

Izzie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

I think kissing is quite good idea.... specially when you know the person....

There should be a number of kisses, if one does not know the person. Then you might know the person...

I think kissing is quite good idea.... specially when you know the person....

There should be a number of kisses, if one does not know the person. Then you might know the person...

seif d, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Rich's Top tip of the day: Men. If you want other men to stop hugging you when you meet, then when they do, hold them for more than 8 seconds and whisper, "If this is wrong, I don't wanna be right..." You'll find that should be the last time it happens. Laughing

Rich's Top tip of the day: Men. If you want other men to stop hugging you when you meet, then when they do, hold them for more than 8 seconds and whisper, "If this is wrong, I don't wanna be right..." You'll find that should be the last time it happens. Laughing

Rich, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Well, I was born in France too, and Phoebe, I dunno where you are from specificaly but there are difference between areas inside the country. Even in where I grew up ( French riviera), in Nice, it s 3, in Aix en provence it's 2, in north Porvence, 3.... and further north some do 4... a nightmare. 

Do agree with the Number 4. I think the best way to avoid a too friendly first time is you to be the first to hold out your end and send the " not known, not kiss" message in a gentle way so should the person you re meeting act upon it.

Well, I was born in France too, and Phoebe, I dunno where you are from specificaly but there are difference between areas inside the country. Even in where I grew up ( French riviera), in Nice, it s 3, in Aix en provence it's 2, in north Porvence, 3.... and further north some do 4... a nightmare. 

Do agree with the Number 4. I think the best way to avoid a too friendly first time is you to be the first to hold out your end and send the " not known, not kiss" message in a gentle way so should the person you re meeting act upon it.

, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

As a bearded man, I would not mind you avoiding kissing me, but if you were considering it, moisturising before and after is recommended by dermatologists to avoid the beard burn.

As a bearded man, I would not mind you avoiding kissing me, but if you were considering it, moisturising before and after is recommended by dermatologists to avoid the beard burn.

Richard H, Aug 22, 2013 @ 12:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Being American, I give handshakes to anyone new I meet and to friends I give hugs when I see them. I'm not comfortable with going so close to strangers and touching their faces.  If the other person dives in to give me the kisses before I can stick out my hand, then I go along with it.

Being American, I give handshakes to anyone new I meet and to friends I give hugs when I see them. I'm not comfortable with going so close to strangers and touching their faces.  If the other person dives in to give me the kisses before I can stick out my hand, then I go along with it.

Andrea K, Aug 22, 2013 @ 12:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Aug 21, 13 23:32

ha ha ha, it works all the time like that in Germany: "the one-arm barrier-method with an outstretched hand"

Relationship disorder? Foot in mouth

ha ha ha, it works all the time like that in Germany: "the one-arm barrier-method with an outstretched hand"

Relationship disorder? Foot in mouth

rena, Aug 22, 2013 @ 12:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Me?  I'll snog anyone!  

Seriously, I love the whole kissy-kissy-kissy thing as it instantly breaks down barriers and puts everyone "on the same level playing field".   

It quite often takes people out of their comfort zone - and that's a bad thing?  

But it has to be done properly - I have a couple of friends (2 x Dutch and 1 German, interestingly enough) who bash you with their jaw as they come in for the kiss - a very unpleasant experience.

And I totally get Rich's "Brokeback Mountain" aversion to 2 blokes doing the kissy-kissy-kissy - all wrong.

I've never had any objections from being kissy-kissy (well, not to my face), only ever had the comment from a friend "I hate saying goodbye's in Switzerland - it takes 3 times longer than anywhere else"!!

KissKissKiss

Me?  I'll snog anyone!  

Seriously, I love the whole kissy-kissy-kissy thing as it instantly breaks down barriers and puts everyone "on the same level playing field".   

But it has to be done properly - I have a couple of friends (2 x Dutch and 1 German, interestingly enough) who bash you with their jaw as they come in for the kiss - a very unpleasant experience.

And I totally get Rich's "Brokeback Mountain" aversion to 2 blokes doing the kissy-kissy-kissy - all wrong.

I've never had any objections from being kissy-kissy (well, not to my face), only ever had the comment from a friend "I hate saying goodbye's in Switzerland - it takes 3 times longer than anywhere else"!!

KissKissKiss

Carolyn C, Aug 22, 2013 @ 13:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

One day in University (via ERASMUS program) I met a guy from Spain and he kissed me 3 times. I was suprised because in my country is only 2 and I asked why?? and he told me: The more the better!!!! 

Well about the kissing thing it depends... I might give one but really passionate!!, I might send kisses (because of the make up), I might just hug I might... Well unpredictable that's me You never know 

One day in University (via ERASMUS program) I met a guy from Spain and he kissed me 3 times. I was suprised because in my country is only 2 and I asked why?? and he told me: The more the better!!!! 

Well about the kissing thing it depends... I might give one but really passionate!!, I might send kisses (because of the make up), I might just hug I might... Well unpredictable that's me You never know 

Nicole R, Aug 22, 2013 @ 14:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Sod the kissing...go straight to humping like mad bunnies on crack...

Charlie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 15:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

A couple of quick fire answers sprang to mind but I decided to play safe and let others get themselves entagled.

R.

A couple of quick fire answers sprang to mind but I decided to play safe and let others get themselves entagled.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 16:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

CoolIndia

CoolIndia

Alex M, Aug 22, 2013 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Aug 22, 13 15:04

Now can we get a 'cracking up shite' button? WinkLaughing

Now can we get a 'cracking up shite' button? WinkLaughing

Izzie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Me?  I'll snog anyone!  

KissKissKiss

Aug 22, 13 13:09

Have to disagree with you missus Caro, I find 2 guys kissing a total turn on... don't you? Laughing

Have to disagree with you missus Caro, I find 2 guys kissing a total turn on... don't you? Laughing

Izzie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 18:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

I am sorry if friends feel bad but seeing this picture remind me of village life where sometimes that two male donkeys while playing doing this tthing 

sorry if anybody mind or hurt 

I am sorry if friends feel bad but seeing this picture remind me of village life where sometimes that two male donkeys while playing doing this tthing 

Alex M, Aug 22, 2013 @ 18:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Aug 22, 13 18:52

Not sure I understand what you mean Alex.

I like to live in a world where differences can coexist freely and peacefully. "I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one".

I like to live in a world where differences can coexist freely and peacefully. "I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one".

Izzie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

I have nothing against men kissing ... but this is rather a turn off for me!

I have nothing against men kissing ... but this is rather a turn off for me!

Phoebe, Aug 22, 2013 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

How cheeky....

Aug 22, 13 11:40

Definition of the Freudian Slip: You mean one thing and you say my mother...

Okay, about kissing now: When in Rome, do as the Romans do. It largely depends on circumstances: In business meetings you would shake hands, but  in a private party or with friends of friends, refusing may be perceived as rude or unfriendly. In Geneva, I kiss girls and some of my male friends 3 times on the cheek, in other countries, I would just shake hands (US) or kiss even men (common in some circles such as media) which is unusual here. All it takes is to accept to go a little bit outside your comfort zone.

Okay, about kissing now: When in Rome, do as the Romans do. It largely depends on circumstances: In business meetings you would shake hands, but  in a private party or with friends of friends, refusing may be perceived as rude or unfriendly. In Geneva, I kiss girls and some of my male friends 3 times on the cheek, in other countries, I would just shake hands (US) or kiss even men (common in some circles such as media) which is unusual here. All it takes is to accept to go a little bit outside your comfort zone.

Free, Aug 22, 2013 @ 19:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

I don't like this kissing thing neither. Or I like shaking hands. And it's actually what they teach kids here. When my son meets french people, who liiiiiile their kisses, they are always surprised that he shows them his hand!!

Anyway, personally, I really much prefer the English way:  a good honest and sincere hug, and eventually ONE kiss just on ONE cheek...

I don't like this kissing thing neither. Or I like shaking hands. And it's actually what they teach kids here. When my son meets french people, who liiiiiile their kisses, they are always surprised that he shows them his hand!!

Anyway, personally, I really much prefer the English way:  a good honest and sincere hug, and eventually ONE kiss just on ONE cheek...

beatrice r, Aug 22, 2013 @ 19:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

I remember when I was working in France, every morning, it was a common thing to kiss every single member of the office, including the Boss... very weird thinking about it!

I remember when I was working in France, every morning, it was a common thing to kiss every single member of the office, including the Boss... very weird thinking about it!

beatrice r, Aug 22, 2013 @ 19:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Aug 22, 13 19:41

Not weirder than shaking hands or hugging :-) It's just a way to briefly enter into someone's intimate zone to smell him/her, to feel whether s/he accepts the contact and say "Look, I'm close but I won't harm you!" I kissed you but I didn't bit you, I shook your hand but I didn't stab you, I hug you but I didn't strangled you, that's all it says.

Not weirder than shaking hands or hugging :-) It's just a way to briefly enter into someone's intimate zone to smell him/her, to feel whether s/he accepts the contact and say "Look, I'm close but I won't harm you!" I kissed you but I didn't bit you, I shook your hand but I didn't stab you, I hug you but I didn't strangled you, that's all it says.

Free, Aug 22, 2013 @ 20:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

I also worked for a few weeks in a small office in Geneva where everybody, including the boss, kissed everyone else twice a day.

As the temp., I only merited a simple hand shake but it did mean I wasn’t excluded.

Many moons ago, my husband worked in an all-male office, also in Geneva,  where everybody shook hands on arrival in the morning, before going out to lunch, on return from lunch and before leaving in the evening, the last round being a slightly longer procedure on Fridays to discuss plans, etc. I never heard of any kissing or hugging though.

All in all, I feel following the “when in Rome” dictum is the easiest option, albeit with a little variant if and/or when appropriate.

R.

I also worked for a few weeks in a small office in Geneva where everybody, including the boss, kissed everyone else twice a day.

As the temp., I only merited a simple hand shake but it did mean I wasn’t excluded.

Many moons ago, my husband worked in an all-male office, also in Geneva,  where everybody shook hands on arrival in the morning, before going out to lunch, on return from lunch and before leaving in the evening, the last round being a slightly longer procedure on Fridays to discuss plans, etc. I never heard of any kissing or hugging though.

All in all, I feel following the “when in Rome” dictum is the easiest option, albeit with a little variant if and/or when appropriate.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 20:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

Aug 22, 13 20:11

That's ok... I don't need you to smell me or me to smell anyone... lol

Although some perfume do turn me on.... could be even more awkward Kiss

Phoebe, Aug 22, 2013 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

Well I think it's not too bad to kiss, but apart from all we need to respect the host country culture and tradition 

switzerland tradion, culture or way of showing respect is for 3 kiss, we can't change this tradition but as I mentioned before its all depend on ur sweet wish, if u don't want to kiss, shake hand and they will never mind

Well I think it's not too bad to kiss, but apart from all we need to respect the host country culture and tradition 

switzerland tradion, culture or way of showing respect is for 3 kiss, we can't change this tradition but as I mentioned before its all depend on ur sweet wish, if u don't want to kiss, shake hand and they will never mind

Alex M, Aug 22, 2013 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

Aug 22, 13 19:00

Exactly I am not against it too but publically and putting a picture here was strange

Exactly I am not against it too but publically and putting a picture here was strange

Alex M, Aug 22, 2013 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

Aug 22, 13 21:02

Sure I understand, it's strange cause we don't get to see it so much... it'll take time Smile

Sure I understand, it's strange cause we don't get to see it so much... it'll take time Smile

Izzie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 21:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 50

Aug 22, 13 20:34

I do! Innocent That's the animal par of me. The dark one

I do! Innocent That's the animal par of me. The dark one

Free, Aug 22, 2013 @ 22:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 51

I'm guessing.

Aug 22, 13 10:25

Really?? Has never happened to me!!!

beatrice r, Aug 22, 2013 @ 22:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 52

Aug 22, 13 19:17

Romans?  They had wild drunken orgies didn't they?

Lart U, Aug 22, 2013 @ 23:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 53

Aug 22, 13 22:51

Give me a few  days to grow a beard, then give me a call Wink

Give me a few  days to grow a beard, then give me a call Wink

Lart U, Aug 22, 2013 @ 23:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 54

We will need a picture of that encounter Lart!

All new experience should benefit Glocals members here and therefore has to be documented ;)

All new experience should benefit Glocals members here and therefore has to be documented ;)

Phoebe, Aug 22, 2013 @ 23:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 55

Aug 22, 13 23:05

And also Saint Valentine who married legionaires before they were drafted here there and thither where they then left "souvenirs" when the kissing had to stop.

And also Saint Valentine who married legionaires before they were drafted here there and thither where they then left "souvenirs" when the kissing had to stop.

Ritchie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 23:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 56

Aug 22, 13 18:31

Nope - all wrong on ALL levels!!  Way too pervy for me Frown Choosing the "frown" button because there isn't a "vomit" button!!

I'm not "anti-gay" I'm just anti "tongues-down-throat-in-a-P.D.A." sort-of-a-situation.

Double Bleurgh!!

Nope - all wrong on ALL levels!!  Way too pervy for me Frown Choosing the "frown" button because there isn't a "vomit" button!!

I'm not "anti-gay" I'm just anti "tongues-down-throat-in-a-P.D.A." sort-of-a-situation.

Double Bleurgh!!

Carolyn C, Aug 22, 2013 @ 23:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 57

Double Bleurgh!!

Aug 22, 13 23:28

LOL

I've got a little reveletion to make here...

I've already kissed Carolyn C on the lips!!!!... Sealed

By accident of course! What did you think!? LOL Laughing

LOL

I've got a little reveletion to make here...

I've already kissed Carolyn C on the lips!!!!... Sealed

By accident of course! What did you think!? LOL Laughing

Izzie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 23:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 58

Did you mean to bite her only your dentures worked loose?

Did you mean to bite her only your dentures worked loose?

Ritchie, Aug 23, 2013 @ 00:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 59

Having spent a lot of time in France as a child, the "bises" are absolutely normal for me. The question "how many" may make the involved persons laugh if they realise they expected different numbers (yes, in France it absolutely depends on the region!) - and this even supports the original purpose of the "bises": to relieve tension of an encounter. (Free explained it very well in post 47.)

At work, we only "perform bises" on special occasions, i.e. after a long absence, on birthdays etc. On normal days, it's just "salut / bonjour X".

Since having moved to Geneva, city of 3 "bises", I however feel awkward when welcoming my father... For many years, we exchanged 2 kisses (rather "bises") on the cheeks and this was perfectly fine. Now the same procedure feels insufficient as other people I hardly know "get more" and I suddenly feel like hugging him. Something I previously never did, what surprised him and what I only understood recently. Perhaps I should explain it to him and it would then become less weird...

Having spent a lot of time in France as a child, the "bises" are absolutely normal for me. The question "how many" may make the involved persons laugh if they realise they expected different numbers (yes, in France it absolutely depends on the region!) - and this even supports the original purpose of the "bises": to relieve tension of an encounter. (Free explained it very well in post 47.)

At work, we only "perform bises" on special occasions, i.e. after a long absence, on birthdays etc. On normal days, it's just "salut / bonjour X".

Since having moved to Geneva, city of 3 "bises", I however feel awkward when welcoming my father... For many years, we exchanged 2 kisses (rather "bises") on the cheeks and this was perfectly fine. Now the same procedure feels insufficient as other people I hardly know "get more" and I suddenly feel like hugging him. Something I previously never did, what surprised him and what I only understood recently. Perhaps I should explain it to him and it would then become less weird...

Stephanie D, Aug 22, 2013 @ 23:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 60

French kiss without the lips...

French kiss without the lips...

Casuistik, Aug 23, 2013 @ 00:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 61

OMG !!! Didn't even know that this is possible, I'm old school for sure :/

OMG !!! Didn't even know that this is possible, I'm old school for sure :/

Natalie W, Aug 23, 2013 @ 00:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 62

The hand shake traditionally was to show that you are not holding a weapon in your hand ( right hand as most people are right handed) The 2 or 3  kisses ? traditionally ?   maybe it’s to divert your attention from a weapon holding hand !   Be aware, the kiss of death Tongue out

The hand shake traditionally was to show that you are not holding a weapon in your hand ( right hand as most people are right handed) The 2 or 3  kisses ? traditionally ?   maybe it’s to divert your attention from a weapon holding hand !   Be aware, the kiss of death Tongue out

epicure, Aug 23, 2013 @ 09:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 63

Aug 22, 13 23:18

With beatrice, you mean?

She hasn't been seen in the thread since I posted that Embarassed  Story of my life Sealed

With beatrice, you mean?

She hasn't been seen in the thread since I posted that Embarassed  Story of my life Sealed

Lart U, Aug 23, 2013 @ 12:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 64

With beatrice, you mean?

Aug 23, 13 12:44

Ahaha now it's me who is looking completely the plot!!

Ahaha now it's me who is looking completely the plot!!

beatrice r, Aug 23, 2013 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 65

Speak of the devil... Wink

You said, in reply to me saying something about suddenly finding your tongue in a guy's mouth and his beard scratching your face, that you'd never had that happen to you, to which I replied "Give me a few days to grow a beard, then give me a call".  I was assuming that's what Phoebe was referring to.  But since I didn't get a call I had a shave again this morning.

You said, in reply to me saying something about suddenly finding your tongue in a guy's mouth and his beard scratching your face, that you'd never had that happen to you, to which I replied "Give me a few days to grow a beard, then give me a call".  I was assuming that's what Phoebe was referring to.  But since I didn't get a call I had a shave again this morning.

Lart U, Aug 23, 2013 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 66

Lart :-) I have never met someone who ended up having his tongue mixed with mine simply because we hesitated on a third kiss... !! but who knows what life has in reserve for me???

How does your beard look like now :-))??

Lart :-) I have never met someone who ended up having his tongue mixed with mine simply because we hesitated on a third kiss... !! but who knows what life has in reserve for me???

How does your beard look like now :-))??

beatrice r, Aug 23, 2013 @ 12:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 67

Aug 23, 13 12:51

Thank you for this clarification..

I'm curious to see what a chicken looks like with a beard though..??!!

beatrice r, Aug 23, 2013 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 68

Aug 23, 13 12:55

Im guessing it would look a little like this....

Im guessing it would look a little like this....

Charlie, Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 69

Lart... the pic.. any comment???

beatrice r, Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 70

Aug 23, 13 13:32

not right now, i'm too busy laughing!

not right now, i'm too busy laughing!

Lart U, Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 71

With beatrice, you mean?

Aug 23, 13 12:44

Join the club Lart eh eh eh

Join the club Lart eh eh eh

Phoebe, Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 72

Aug 21, 13 18:15

If you hate kissing, just be honest about it and say it to whomever you meet. Open-minded people would understand and the rest, well, who cares.

If you hate kissing, just be honest about it and say it to whomever you meet. Open-minded people would understand and the rest, well, who cares.

mehran, Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 73

It's a bit off topic, but they have re-introduced bearded vultures in Switzerland recently somewhere near the Dents du Midi. (that's not a real one in the picture but looks similar)

It's a bit off topic, but they have re-introduced bearded vultures in Switzerland recently somewhere near the Dents du Midi. (that's not a real one in the picture but looks similar)

Richard H, Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 74

Izzie, Aug 23, 2013 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 75

If I had to kiss everyone in the office it would change dramatically the way I hired people.

Come to think of it: if it's enforced / expected, does it not constitute sexual harassment?  It is, at the very least, a disengenuous act on the part of the manager, in that it suggests an intimacy that cannot exist if they are actually doing their job.

If I had to kiss everyone in the office it would change dramatically the way I hired people.

Come to think of it: if it's enforced / expected, does it not constitute sexual harassment?  It is, at the very least, a disengenuous act on the part of the manager, in that it suggests an intimacy that cannot exist if they are actually doing their job.

Andy C, Aug 23, 2013 @ 14:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 76

Aug 23, 13 13:51

It's always funny and interesting how minds work and how one thing can make someone think about something else...

If you can't go there, you can still see these big birds at the Wildpark in Goldau..

It's always funny and interesting how minds work and how one thing can make someone think about something else...

If you can't go there, you can still see these big birds at the Wildpark in Goldau..

beatrice r, Aug 23, 2013 @ 18:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 77

@Phoebe, I have now clue which switzerland you are living.. The Switzerland I live NO one kiss a stranger..... they just slightly touch cheek to cheek and make a kissing noise in your ear 3 time.!!!

@Phoebe, I have now clue which switzerland you are living.. The Switzerland I live NO one kiss a stranger..... they just slightly touch cheek to cheek and make a kissing noise in your ear 3 time.!!!

Mohit D, Aug 23, 2013 @ 19:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 78

The question I have is - how does one politely skip the kissing without giving the "cold" vibe...?

The question I have is - how does one politely skip the kissing without giving the "cold" vibe...?

isabella ., Aug 23, 2013 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 79

Aug 23, 13 20:44

if it's a person you are meeting for the first time, you cam walk with your hand ready to shake his/her.

If it's a friend, you can just walk toward him/her with your arms open and she/he will understand that it will be a hug, and that that doesn't imply a kiss necessarily.. I think.. 

if it's a person you are meeting for the first time, you cam walk with your hand ready to shake his/her.

If it's a friend, you can just walk toward him/her with your arms open and she/he will understand that it will be a hug, and that that doesn't imply a kiss necessarily.. I think.. 

beatrice r, Aug 23, 2013 @ 21:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 80

Aug 23, 13 13:27

That's already what I'm doing Mehran...thankyouverymuch :)

I was just curious about anybody else...

That's already what I'm doing Mehran...thankyouverymuch :)

I was just curious about anybody else...

Phoebe, Aug 24, 2013 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 81

Aug 23, 13 19:39

Oh really?? that sounds a lot like kissing to me! 

Oh really?? that sounds a lot like kissing to me! 

Phoebe, Aug 24, 2013 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 82

In my opinion you should adapt to the customs of the country you currently live in.  I just moved in to Geneva from Costa Rica so if the custom here is to give three kisses, then that is what I would expect from people when they greet me and that is fine by me (in Costa Rica and in most of latin american countries I believe it is only one kiss). 

Now, the big question is, do you go for the kisses first? If I am being introduced for the first time, I would definitively not go for the kisses, I would wait for the other person to see how she (yes she, I would definitively not expect that from a man) responds, if she goes for the kisses I would kiss her back, if not a handshake would be better.  Afterwards, if I meet that person again, I would go for the kisses myself probably.  

Now that is in social events, not for work.  As a diplomat I would never go for the kisses in work situations, only handshakes, even if I was introduced before to that person, I would find that unprofessional...

In my opinion you should adapt to the customs of the country you currently live in.  I just moved in to Geneva from Costa Rica so if the custom here is to give three kisses, then that is what I would expect from people when they greet me and that is fine by me (in Costa Rica and in most of latin american countries I believe it is only one kiss). 

Now, the big question is, do you go for the kisses first? If I am being introduced for the first time, I would definitively not go for the kisses, I would wait for the other person to see how she (yes she, I would definitively not expect that from a man) responds, if she goes for the kisses I would kiss her back, if not a handshake would be better.  Afterwards, if I meet that person again, I would go for the kisses myself probably.  

Now that is in social events, not for work.  As a diplomat I would never go for the kisses in work situations, only handshakes, even if I was introduced before to that person, I would find that unprofessional...

Luis Adolfo F, Aug 25, 2013 @ 21:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 83

When u don't like kissing don't kiss! Actually they  just touch your cheek and don't kiss, but what I do on your place is just give them hand n keep people on distance. With time they get used don't disturb your space anymore.

When u don't like kissing don't kiss! Actually they  just touch your cheek and don't kiss, but what I do on your place is just give them hand n keep people on distance. With time they get used don't disturb your space anymore.

Rena A, Aug 26, 2013 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 84

It's a very subtil subject in fact, because if you don't know the person, and the person comes to you ready to kiss you and you step back, showing her your hand, it would be very ackward and even rude maybe, it all depends on the circumstances really..

So what I would do is to kiss the person back, but later during the conversation, if after knowing the person a little bit better, I still feel like I wouldn't want to kiss this person again, I would find a way to bring up the topic and say what I think about it.

It's a very subtil subject in fact, because if you don't know the person, and the person comes to you ready to kiss you and you step back, showing her your hand, it would be very ackward and even rude maybe, it all depends on the circumstances really..

So what I would do is to kiss the person back, but later during the conversation, if after knowing the person a little bit better, I still feel like I wouldn't want to kiss this person again, I would find a way to bring up the topic and say what I think about it.

beatrice r, Aug 26, 2013 @ 16:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 85

All depends on people and culture. In some countries kissing the stranger like they sometimes do it in Switzerland is seen impolite. Actually not all Swiss people kiss from the first time, some even don't like it.

If we speak about parties and gatherings,where  people are open and maybe look for closer introduction it could be the first key....?

Anyways, what ever you do, it must go according to your inner feeling and if one feels awkward kissing a stranger, better to let them know from the beginning, than explaining it later.

I admit we are different and some people prefer being nice towards everyone and feeling uncomfortable deep inside, in my case, doing things together with heart is more important.

All depends on people and culture. In some countries kissing the stranger like they sometimes do it in Switzerland is seen impolite. Actually not all Swiss people kiss from the first time, some even don't like it.

If we speak about parties and gatherings,where  people are open and maybe look for closer introduction it could be the first key....?

Anyways, what ever you do, it must go according to your inner feeling and if one feels awkward kissing a stranger, better to let them know from the beginning, than explaining it later.

I admit we are different and some people prefer being nice towards everyone and feeling uncomfortable deep inside, in my case, doing things together with heart is more important.

Rena A, Aug 26, 2013 @ 18:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 86

Well, this forum hasn't been used for a while, but why not to extend it a bit more? 28 people in Geneva kissed... "intimately" :) and they seemed happy! see it on 

http://youtu.be/L6Ozv18wGkA

so, why to worry so much about the number? the quality is what matters ;)

Well, this forum hasn't been used for a while, but why not to extend it a bit more? 28 people in Geneva kissed... "intimately" :) and they seemed happy! see it on 

lourdes S, Apr 22, 2014 @ 18:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 87

Apr 22, 14 18:26

How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said. ~Victor Hugo

How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said. ~Victor Hugo

Lucie S, Apr 22, 2014 @ 19:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 88

Can't see the video...."This video contains content from IDOL and SUISA CS, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Damn.

Can't see the video...."This video contains content from IDOL and SUISA CS, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Damn.

Zonker, Apr 23, 2014 @ 09:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 89

wow, 28 stranges. how come I wasn't informed of this?

wow, 28 stranges. how come I wasn't informed of this?

Zonker, Apr 23, 2014 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 90

Back in the nineteenth century when two British alpinists made the ascent of what was probably the highest ascent of the time (probably around 7000 metres) they were so overcome that one of them wrote:

This is not an exact quote as do not have it in front of me but something like this.

'We were so overcome by our achievement that we forgot ourselves for a moment and might even have gone as far as to shake hands but I do not recollect'

Had they started kissing each other they would probably have had to redign from the Alpine Club

On a more serious note, I notice that locals also seem to be a bit confused esp on a first meeting.  I restrict myself to a handshake on a first meeting or just a smile. 

Back in the nineteenth century when two British alpinists made the ascent of what was probably the highest ascent of the time (probably around 7000 metres) they were so overcome that one of them wrote:

This is not an exact quote as do not have it in front of me but something like this.

'We were so overcome by our achievement that we forgot ourselves for a moment and might even have gone as far as to shake hands but I do not recollect'

Had they started kissing each other they would probably have had to redign from the Alpine Club

On a more serious note, I notice that locals also seem to be a bit confused esp on a first meeting.  I restrict myself to a handshake on a first meeting or just a smile. 

Paul E, Apr 23, 2014 @ 15:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 91

Apr 22, 14 18:26

Wow... I didn't know they did that in Geneva! I wonder if any of these "kissers" saw each other again after that?

Thanks for the link Lourdes, and nice work!

Wow... I didn't know they did that in Geneva! I wonder if any of these "kissers" saw each other again after that?

Thanks for the link Lourdes, and nice work!

Phoebe, Apr 23, 2014 @ 15:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 92
Thanks for the note! Indeed we noticed about it and we are working on it… We will keep you posted!
And, we posted the activity on glocals ;)
Thanks for the note! Indeed we noticed about it and we are working on it… We will keep you posted!
And, we posted the activity on glocals ;)
lourdes S, Apr 23, 2014 @ 17:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 93

Also shaking hands is risky : how many people are not aware that they are crushing other people's hands?

Also shaking hands is risky : how many people are not aware that they are crushing other people's hands?

Jango, Apr 23, 2014 @ 21:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 94

Aug 21, 13 18:15

It took me a while to get used to the 2X kissing when I moved from the US to France, and when I didn't do that, I would get stared at.  I understood it was an expectation that you have to greet in this way, even if you have to greet 10 people on a dinner table!  

Now in Switzerland kissing 3X is expected, but it is always a bit awkward among the expats.  

I would say that when in Rome, do what the Romans do... so if you have to kiss, then do it.  In a way I do agree with it because it breaks a psychological barrier and allows for open communication between people.  In other countries, like the US, where a "stay away and don't touch me" policy is followed, you don't get to break this barrier, so people may be more introverted in their way of communicating to others, compared to Europeans. 

I say 2 kisses is more than enough, and 3 kisses is too much work, but if the person been kissed is good looking enough, then I would even consider 4! :) 

It took me a while to get used to the 2X kissing when I moved from the US to France, and when I didn't do that, I would get stared at.  I understood it was an expectation that you have to greet in this way, even if you have to greet 10 people on a dinner table!  

Now in Switzerland kissing 3X is expected, but it is always a bit awkward among the expats.  

I would say that when in Rome, do what the Romans do... so if you have to kiss, then do it.  In a way I do agree with it because it breaks a psychological barrier and allows for open communication between people.  In other countries, like the US, where a "stay away and don't touch me" policy is followed, you don't get to break this barrier, so people may be more introverted in their way of communicating to others, compared to Europeans. 

I say 2 kisses is more than enough, and 3 kisses is too much work, but if the person been kissed is good looking enough, then I would even consider 4! :) 

Jean-Jacques B, Apr 24, 2014 @ 00:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 95

I like the kissing culture, although I was not born and bred in one. It vehicles positive values, such as human warmth and acceptance. Whether it should be two, three of four seems to be an relevant issue and rather dependant on the local code of conduct.

I like the kissing culture, although I was not born and bred in one. It vehicles positive values, such as human warmth and acceptance. Whether it should be two, three of four seems to be an relevant issue and rather dependant on the local code of conduct.

Elisabeth L, Apr 24, 2014 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 96

Back on the track again, oh yeah! :-) Good job guys! And the music could still stay (probably altered even more, or you pushed harder on the bribery side?! :-)

Kiss me if I´m wrong, but dinosaurs still exist, right?

Back on the track again, oh yeah! :-) Good job guys! And the music could still stay (probably altered even more, or you pushed harder on the bribery side?! :-)

Kiss me if I´m wrong, but dinosaurs still exist, right?

Lucie S, Apr 24, 2014 @ 21:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 97

Lucie I don't know what you are talking about, but dinosaurs don't exist.  So I guess, I'll have to kiss you next time I see you.  

Lucie I don't know what you are talking about, but dinosaurs don't exist.  So I guess, I'll have to kiss you next time I see you.  

Jean-Jacques B, Apr 24, 2014 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 98

Deal JJ! Laughing

Deal JJ! Laughing

Lucie S, Apr 24, 2014 @ 22:13