Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Verifying a car's papers?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Verifying a car's papers?

I'm probably buying a used vehicle privately and am wondering if there is any way to verify the documents are in order, and also what the date of the controle technique is?

In other countries I've lived there's usually some way to get this kind of details straight from the authorities with a text message or online query or something. Anything like that here?

The text you are quoting:

I'm probably buying a used vehicle privately and am wondering if there is any way to verify the documents are in order, and also what the date of the controle technique is?

In other countries I've lived there's usually some way to get this kind of details straight from the authorities with a text message or online query or something. Anything like that here?

Fred OMay 15, 2017 @ 21:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 935 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Verifying a car's papers?
Post 1

Usually the details of when the last expertise was, etc. are written on the Carte Grise.

Usually the details of when the last expertise was, etc. are written on the Carte Grise.

nmcp, May 16, 2017 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

But the whole carte grise could easily be forged. Surely there must be some way to check the registration number or license plate against something official?

And I also dont find any mention of the expertise date on my current car's documents. I've been through it backwards and forwards.

But the whole carte grise could easily be forged. Surely there must be some way to check the registration number or license plate against something official?

And I also dont find any mention of the expertise date on my current car's documents. I've been through it backwards and forwards.

Fred O, May 16, 2017 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

http://ge.ch/vehicules/immatriculation

Call the office in charge. They will be able to tell you quickly if there is any online solution if at all.

http://ge.ch/vehicules/immatriculation

Call the office in charge. They will be able to tell you quickly if there is any online solution if at all.

Reka Y, May 16, 2017 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try. I was just hoping someone might've known off-hand since, more often than not, the language barrier makes these kinds of things quite difficult.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try. I was just hoping someone might've known off-hand since, more often than not, the language barrier makes these kinds of things quite difficult.

Fred O, May 16, 2017 @ 21:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Have you tried phoning the “Service des automobiles”?  Their “Service technique” should have the answer and they have English-speaking staff.

You could also contact “Touring Club Suisse”, which is the Swiss equivalent of the British AA, with whom they have some mutually advantageous reciprocal arrangements.

Best, R.

Have you tried phoning the “Service des automobiles”?  Their “Service technique” should have the answer and they have English-speaking staff.

You could also contact “Touring Club Suisse”, which is the Swiss equivalent of the British AA, with whom they have some mutually advantageous reciprocal arrangements.

Best, R.

Ritchie, May 16, 2017 @ 22:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Best tip is always to conduct the sale transaction at the office des automobiles in Carouge durign their opening hours. Once you have completed the sale (use a pro forma sales contract easily found on line - Contrat de vente d'un véhicule). You can then immediately complete the transfer of ownership formalities.

Ritchie is right the office is very helpful and friendly in my experience (2 car sales in Geneva).

Cheers

Sam

Woodhouse Carpentry
Custom furniture making - fitted cabinets & bookcases - interior woodwork

Telephone 079 763 58 97

Workshop address: Route du Nant D'Avril 51, 1214 Vernier
Postal & Office address: Rue de Saint Jean 23, 1203 Genève

Examples of our work on our website: www.wood-house.ch

Best tip is always to conduct the sale transaction at the office des automobiles in Carouge durign their opening hours. Once you have completed the sale (use a pro forma sales contract easily found on line - Contrat de vente d'un véhicule). You can then immediately complete the transfer of ownership formalities.

Ritchie is right the office is very helpful and friendly in my experience (2 car sales in Geneva).

Cheers

Sam

Woodhouse Carpentry
Custom furniture making - fitted cabinets & bookcases - interior woodwork

Telephone 079 763 58 97

Workshop address: Route du Nant D'Avril 51, 1214 Vernier
Postal & Office address: Rue de Saint Jean 23, 1203 Genève

Examples of our work on our website: www.wood-house.ch

SamW, May 21, 2017 @ 09:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin