Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Washing machine maintenance

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Washing machine maintenance

May be a silly question...but do I need to decalc my clothes washing machine ? If so, do I just get a large bottle of Calgon (or similar) to do the job ? Coming from down under it is just something one never has to think about..

Thanks for your help everyone. (and no this isn't a Friday funny !!)

The text you are quoting:

May be a silly question...but do I need to decalc my clothes washing machine ? If so, do I just get a large bottle of Calgon (or similar) to do the job ? Coming from down under it is just something one never has to think about..

Thanks for your help everyone. (and no this isn't a Friday funny !!)

Jeffery SNov 24, 2014 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1059 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Washing machine maintenance
Post 1

Good question, I have a washing machine and never thought about that...let's see if anyone knows the answer...

Good question, I have a washing machine and never thought about that...let's see if anyone knows the answer...

Nir Ofek, Nov 24, 2014 @ 22:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

it's a good idea to throw in a calgon tablet every 5 washes or so. but if your machine has been in a high calc water area for a year or two or three, it might be too late! the heating element can get coated with calc deposits and lose heating effeciency. 

why don't they put de-calcing units in the machine as they do with dishwashers? where you just add salt to regenerate the process.

it's a good idea to throw in a calgon tablet every 5 washes or so. but if your machine has been in a high calc water area for a year or two or three, it might be too late! the heating element can get coated with calc deposits and lose heating effeciency. 

why don't they put de-calcing units in the machine as they do with dishwashers? where you just add salt to regenerate the process.

epicure, Nov 25, 2014 @ 09:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I do a full wash with 2 lt of white vinegar ... every now and then.. more for the soap that gets stuck in the pipes..  works well.

I do a full wash with 2 lt of white vinegar ... every now and then.. more for the soap that gets stuck in the pipes..  works well.

Maria C, Nov 25, 2014 @ 17:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Nov 25, 14 17:10

Thanks Maria - now I am going to ask what may well be the most stupidest question ever.....I take it you do this with no clothes in the machine ?? Just a full cycle with the vinegar right ?

Thanks Maria - now I am going to ask what may well be the most stupidest question ever.....I take it you do this with no clothes in the machine ?? Just a full cycle with the vinegar right ?

Jeffery S, Nov 25, 2014 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jeffrey, you make me laugh.  Of course. We are talking about cleaning the washing machine, so please no clothes this time :-)

Jeffrey, you make me laugh.  Of course. We are talking about cleaning the washing machine, so please no clothes this time :-)

Maria C, Nov 25, 2014 @ 17:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Nov 25, 14 17:29

told you it was a silly question !!! Thanks Maria

told you it was a silly question !!! Thanks Maria
Jeffery S, Nov 25, 2014 @ 17:42

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Nov 25, 14 17:29

Well, in mv view, Jeffrey was right to ask because some people may not have fully understood what you were saying.

I think we should all try to bear in mind that many of this site’s users are not native English speakers, so what may be obvious to us may not necessarily be so for them.

That said, thank you for your useful tip.

R.

Well, in mv view, Jeffrey was right to ask because some people may not have fully understood what you were saying.

I think we should all try to bear in mind that many of this site’s users are not native English speakers, so what may be obvious to us may not necessarily be so for them.

That said, thank you for your useful tip.

R.

Ritchie, Nov 25, 2014 @ 17:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1059 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form