Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Watching tv in Switzerland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Watching tv in Switzerland

Can anybody tell me which is the best and cheapest alternative to paying for a tv package? Just cancelled with Sunrise and looking at other options. ThanksSmile 

The text you are quoting:

Can anybody tell me which is the best and cheapest alternative to paying for a tv package? Just cancelled with Sunrise and looking at other options. ThanksSmile 

Jan SDec 21, 2014 @ 18:36
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 3376 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Watching tv in Switzerland
Post 1

This is totally for free and works even as a mobile app:

http://watch.wilmaa.com/

If not, YouTube:)

Kris R, Dec 21, 2014 @ 19:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Dec 21, 14 19:04

Thanks a lot Kris thats good for watching online but was actually looking more for something to use with the television

Thanks a lot Kris thats good for watching online but was actually looking more for something to use with the television

Jan S, Dec 21, 2014 @ 19:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

why not have your own small ( 75cm ) sat antenna and watch all your favourite uk channels for free. for 300.-sfr you can get the whole package in high definition and never pay anything again. also, you can use it anywhere you go in europe! it's all perfectly legal too!! simply place the antenna on your balcony/terrace at floor level and that's it.

why not have your own small ( 75cm ) sat antenna and watch all your favourite uk channels for free. for 300.-sfr you can get the whole package in high definition and never pay anything again. also, you can use it anywhere you go in europe! it's all perfectly legal too!! simply place the antenna on your balcony/terrace at floor level and that's it.

epicure, Dec 21, 2014 @ 21:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Just checked out your site, its very similiar to Zattoo

but zattoo has more variety of languages, and your suggested site wilmaa has a big advert right in bottommiddle of the screen and I cant get rid of that anoying adverts.

Just checked out your site, its very similiar to Zattoo

but zattoo has more variety of languages, and your suggested site wilmaa has a big advert right in bottommiddle of the screen and I cant get rid of that anoying adverts.

Dave G, Dec 21, 2014 @ 21:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Dec 21, 14 21:10

That sounds great Epicure thank you but at the moment I live in an appartement without a balcony/terrace. What a pityCry

That sounds great Epicure thank you but at the moment I live in an appartement without a balcony/terrace. What a pityCry

Jan S, Dec 21, 2014 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Thanks Penny Il look on the site. Have been paying 87chf for the basic package with Sunrise (without telephone) which this month seems to have gone up by 10chf and always problems.

Thanks Penny Il look on the site. Have been paying 87chf for the basic package with Sunrise (without telephone) which this month seems to have gone up by 10chf and always problems.

Jan S, Dec 21, 2014 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Dec 21, 14 22:18

Am also with Sunrise and seem to be paying them needlessly. Rubbish service. I use Zatoo HD, pay 8 francs a month, can record up to 250 programs, can watch on my mobile,  and now that I hve Apple TV can watch all my programs on my TV so will be getting rid of Sunrise too. How much notice did you have to give to end your contract with Sunrise?

Am also with Sunrise and seem to be paying them needlessly. Rubbish service. I use Zatoo HD, pay 8 francs a month, can record up to 250 programs, can watch on my mobile,  and now that I hve Apple TV can watch all my programs on my TV so will be getting rid of Sunrise too. How much notice did you have to give to end your contract with Sunrise?

delseta9_, Dec 23, 2014 @ 07:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Dec 23, 14 07:09

Thanks Delsata. Will look at Zatoo as an option. My contract was due to end in Dec so I told Sunrise in November. They told me I can end it on January 25th to avoid paying extra costs.

Thanks Delsata. Will look at Zatoo as an option. My contract was due to end in Dec so I told Sunrise in November. They told me I can end it on January 25th to avoid paying extra costs.

Jan S, Dec 23, 2014 @ 12:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

As I only want English language channels, I use Zattoo on my iPad and then use Airplay and an Apple TV to show it on the big screen. The only 'price' I pay for this is a 20-30s advertisement when selecting a channel.

If I want to watch something on one of the catchup services, then again I use the iPad + Apple TV. However, for these you need to subscribe to a VPN servce.

As I only want English language channels, I use Zattoo on my iPad and then use Airplay and an Apple TV to show it on the big screen. The only 'price' I pay for this is a 20-30s advertisement when selecting a channel.

If I want to watch something on one of the catchup services, then again I use the iPad + Apple TV. However, for these you need to subscribe to a VPN servce.

Anura S, Dec 23, 2014 @ 15:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Fine thanks JuanoLaughing

Fine thanks JuanoLaughing

Jan S, Dec 23, 2014 @ 17:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Dec 23, 14 15:00

Interesting, thanks Anura

Interesting, thanks Anura

Jan S, Dec 23, 2014 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Dec 21, 14 18:36

Jan, I've been using Zattoo for two years and it defo is the cheapest and most flexible offer all round: CHF 60.- a year gets you all the channels (almost 150 as of today) you will need, that is, essentially UK/German/Swiss/French + Italian/Spanish ones (which comes in handy when you're learning any one of these languages), many of which in HD (more and more coming). As previously highlighted, you can record up to 250 programs and watch the entire TV schedule of the last 7 days. Most importantly, you can access Zattoo from all your devices - outside with WiFi/4G or at home (iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows), and that includes your smart TV (LG/Samsung only thus far). You can also use Apple TV or Chromecast to livestream Zattoo and navigate it from your devices to your TV.

Only downside is that Zattoo becomes virtually inoperative abroad but you can then use a VPN service if you really need it. Also, even though dual audio has been implemented lately, the program doesn't do subtitles yet, which you would find useful with Swisscom TV for instance.

Jan, I've been using Zattoo for two years and it defo is the cheapest and most flexible offer all round: CHF 60.- a year gets you all the channels (almost 150 as of today) you will need, that is, essentially UK/German/Swiss/French + Italian/Spanish ones (which comes in handy when you're learning any one of these languages), many of which in HD (more and more coming). As previously highlighted, you can record up to 250 programs and watch the entire TV schedule of the last 7 days. Most importantly, you can access Zattoo from all your devices - outside with WiFi/4G or at home (iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows), and that includes your smart TV (LG/Samsung only thus far). You can also use Apple TV or Chromecast to livestream Zattoo and navigate it from your devices to your TV.

Only downside is that Zattoo becomes virtually inoperative abroad but you can then use a VPN service if you really need it. Also, even though dual audio has been implemented lately, the program doesn't do subtitles yet, which you would find useful with Swisscom TV for instance.

Adrien L, Dec 28, 2014 @ 12:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Great advice thanks AdrienLaughing

Great advice thanks AdrienLaughing

Jan S, Dec 28, 2014 @ 13:59