Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > When to do the "cheek kiss" greeting?!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
When to do the "cheek kiss" greeting?!

So, I had my first client meeting in Europe today, and when we arrived, my manager (male) went straight for the client (female), and did the "muah, muah, muah" kiss greeting that I've seen, but never done. Then she turned to me, and of course, I awkwardly held out my hand for a handshake.

To be honest, both exchanges seemed natural. I'm sure she expected a handshake from me since I just arrived from the US two weeks ago, but it got me to thinking..what's the protocol for this Euro greeting?

P.S. - at least I didn't try to give her a fist bump :)

The text you are quoting:

So, I had my first client meeting in Europe today, and when we arrived, my manager (male) went straight for the client (female), and did the "muah, muah, muah" kiss greeting that I've seen, but never done. Then she turned to me, and of course, I awkwardly held out my hand for a handshake.

To be honest, both exchanges seemed natural. I'm sure she expected a handshake from me since I just arrived from the US two weeks ago, but it got me to thinking..what's the protocol for this Euro greeting?

Nathan PhillipsJan 28, 2015 @ 22:07
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

20 Replies | 4687 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: When to do the "cheek kiss" greeting?!
Post 1

Jan 28, 15 22:07

I think these two already knew each other, and are close enough to do the cheek kiss...

I think these two already knew each other, and are close enough to do the cheek kiss...

TreeOf Life, Jan 28, 2015 @ 22:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Yea, they've been working together for awhile. And in reality I understand that it's probably similar to when we would greet someone with a hug, but it still made me curious, so I figured I'd ask. I mean, is it something that all of Europe does? Is it always 3 smooches? Is there an understood order? 

And I assume it's only done between people that are at least fairly well acquainted. Is that right, or are there occasions when it might be done when you've just recently met someone (e.g., dates, social outings, etc)?

#cluelessAmerican

Yea, they've been working together for awhile. And in reality I understand that it's probably similar to when we would greet someone with a hug, but it still made me curious, so I figured I'd ask. I mean, is it something that all of Europe does? Is it always 3 smooches? Is there an understood order? 

And I assume it's only done between people that are at least fairly well acquainted. Is that right, or are there occasions when it might be done when you've just recently met someone (e.g., dates, social outings, etc)?

#cluelessAmerican

Nathan Phillips, Jan 28, 2015 @ 22:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Depending on the country you're in you can do 1, 2, 3 or 4  kisses. In Eastern Europe I would say it's 1 kiss. In France it's 2 or 4 I believe whether you live here or there. In Switzerland it's 3. You can kiss someone you know well or in parties people you just met. 

Some hardly touch the cheek wit the mouth. Trust me there is nothing sexual in there as some foreign people could think. Men sometimes do it especially in families. Sometimes its something you have to go through and in a big group it can be a pain because you pass in front of 20  people and kiss everyone s cheeks to say hello AND goodbye.

But it would be nice that if you're here for a while you get to do it too. It would mean that you adapt to this country and respect it's culture ( though you usually don't do it in professional settings).

Depending on the country you're in you can do 1, 2, 3 or 4  kisses. In Eastern Europe I would say it's 1 kiss. In France it's 2 or 4 I believe whether you live here or there. In Switzerland it's 3. You can kiss someone you know well or in parties people you just met. 

Some hardly touch the cheek wit the mouth. Trust me there is nothing sexual in there as some foreign people could think. Men sometimes do it especially in families. Sometimes its something you have to go through and in a big group it can be a pain because you pass in front of 20  people and kiss everyone s cheeks to say hello AND goodbye.

But it would be nice that if you're here for a while you get to do it too. It would mean that you adapt to this country and respect it's culture ( though you usually don't do it in professional settings).

Myriam A, Jan 29, 2015 @ 08:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Dear Nathan, 

I would love to find the answer to this as well. I have been here a few months and still am no closer to understanding this kiss, kiss, kiss thing. I have had people I have just met try to do this (I backed up and put out my hand in those first instances. I mean, WTF?) and have also been greeted that way by people with whom I have a more than passing acquaintance. I still never feel I have quite got the hang of it. This is Switzerland so there must be some sort of rule for it, right? 

#cluelesstoo 

Dear Nathan, 

I would love to find the answer to this as well. I have been here a few months and still am no closer to understanding this kiss, kiss, kiss thing. I have had people I have just met try to do this (I backed up and put out my hand in those first instances. I mean, WTF?) and have also been greeted that way by people with whom I have a more than passing acquaintance. I still never feel I have quite got the hang of it. This is Switzerland so there must be some sort of rule for it, right? 

#cluelesstoo 

K H, Jan 29, 2015 @ 08:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

K H read my post above yours. It might help a bit.

K H read my post above yours. It might help a bit.

Myriam A, Jan 29, 2015 @ 09:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
 European greeting etiquette can be confusing to outsiders.  If you are unsure what's expected when introduced to someone new, you should make eye contact as you approach them and then gently cup their genitals.  This is always appreciated. 
 European greeting etiquette can be confusing to outsiders.  If you are unsure what's expected when introduced to someone new, you should make eye contact as you approach them and then gently cup their genitals.  This is always appreciated. 
Andy C, Jan 29, 2015 @ 10:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Well, I'm Portuguese and in my country we use 2 kisses.

Usually what I do in my country its like this: if I'm in a social environment, wether I do know the woman or just met her I always greet them with kisses. If I'm in a formal evnvironment, I greet the woman with kisses only if I am already aquainted with her, otherwise its with a handshake.

For close familly I always greet with kisses wether its a woman or a man.

If you are unsure of how to proceed you can wait for a second or two to see if the person in question raises her hand for a handshake or starts leaning to you. If by any chance you've gone for the kisses and the person refuses it you can always apoligize and explain that you are new to this cultre and are still adapting, making the refusal less akward for both.

Well, I'm Portuguese and in my country we use 2 kisses.

Usually what I do in my country its like this: if I'm in a social environment, wether I do know the woman or just met her I always greet them with kisses. If I'm in a formal evnvironment, I greet the woman with kisses only if I am already aquainted with her, otherwise its with a handshake.

For close familly I always greet with kisses wether its a woman or a man.

If you are unsure of how to proceed you can wait for a second or two to see if the person in question raises her hand for a handshake or starts leaning to you. If by any chance you've gone for the kisses and the person refuses it you can always apoligize and explain that you are new to this cultre and are still adapting, making the refusal less akward for both.

Tiago R, Jan 29, 2015 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Nathan, welcome to Switzerland, and congratulations on abstaining from the fist bump.

Here, three kisses are the norm in social and business situations, even if you're meeting someone for the first time. That said, you can get away with not kissing in business situations. It's generally good to meet someone's eyes and gauge from that person how to approach. (Diplomatic protocol would say that rank goes by title, seniority, gender (female outranks male unless the male holds a rank or role). The more senior person should initiate the greeting, however s/he would like.)

In most of the rest of Europe, two kisses are the norm, except for the occasionally over-exuberant Spanish and Italians who can spend an entire day going cheek-to-cheek. :)

There are many times when there's an awkward pause before the third kiss in mixed groups, but you will get used to it.

Handshakes can be a bit awkward. As a woman and an American, though, I'll put forward my time-honored request: don't give men or woman the limp fish. Offer a firm but not overbearing hand grasp with 2-3 shakes and a pleasant expression on your face. Meet their eyes and use their name.

Good luck!

Nathan, welcome to Switzerland, and congratulations on abstaining from the fist bump.

Here, three kisses are the norm in social and business situations, even if you're meeting someone for the first time. That said, you can get away with not kissing in business situations. It's generally good to meet someone's eyes and gauge from that person how to approach. (Diplomatic protocol would say that rank goes by title, seniority, gender (female outranks male unless the male holds a rank or role). The more senior person should initiate the greeting, however s/he would like.)

In most of the rest of Europe, two kisses are the norm, except for the occasionally over-exuberant Spanish and Italians who can spend an entire day going cheek-to-cheek. :)

There are many times when there's an awkward pause before the third kiss in mixed groups, but you will get used to it.

Handshakes can be a bit awkward. As a woman and an American, though, I'll put forward my time-honored request: don't give men or woman the limp fish. Offer a firm but not overbearing hand grasp with 2-3 shakes and a pleasant expression on your face. Meet their eyes and use their name.

Good luck!

Catherine K, Jan 29, 2015 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Now if anyone wants to meet up in Lausanne to help me put it to good use, let me know! :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Now if anyone wants to meet up in Lausanne to help me put it to good use, let me know! :)

Nathan Phillips, Jan 29, 2015 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hahah Nathan,

If you want to practice, I personally believe you should practice with Europeans, you will less likely make mistakes!

Born, raised in France, lived over a decade in London, worked in Geneva - there are many difference.

In France, in some regions, it is 2 kisse, some others 3, and other 4! 

During business meeting, seminar, etc, I have never been greeted with a kiss hello by clients...  Be them Swiss or French, or coming from any other European countries.  I would never kiss hello someone I do not know.

If you have Swiss or European friends, then their friends are likely to kiss you hello  but not necessarily.

If I may say: if I were you, just wait and see how the person comes to you :).  Gradually, you will get used to it and will probably know how to act.

Hahah Nathan,

If you want to practice, I personally believe you should practice with Europeans, you will less likely make mistakes!

Born, raised in France, lived over a decade in London, worked in Geneva - there are many difference.

During business meeting, seminar, etc, I have never been greeted with a kiss hello by clients...  Be them Swiss or French, or coming from any other European countries.  I would never kiss hello someone I do not know.

If you have Swiss or European friends, then their friends are likely to kiss you hello  but not necessarily.

If I may say: if I were you, just wait and see how the person comes to you :).  Gradually, you will get used to it and will probably know how to act.

TreeOf Life, Jan 29, 2015 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Interesting to see all the different backgrounds at work. I think rules are somewhat flexible but here's how I do it:

I always do the 3 kisses when I meet girls in a social environment, and shake hands with guys.

I sometimes do the 3 kisses and/or hug close male friends and family members.

In business I shake hands with both genders, unless we know each other quite well and are on friendy terms, I which case I do the 3 kisses with women only. When you "graduate" to kissing is a matter of feeling.

In the rest of Europe it varies between 1-4 kisses, with most latin countries doing 2-3 kisses (I only know of 4 kisses in some parts of France and Italy). In Russia and Northern countries kissing is relatively new and they usually limit to 1 kiss. 

When in doubt go for the kiss and nobody will suspect you're not European ;)

Interesting to see all the different backgrounds at work. I think rules are somewhat flexible but here's how I do it:

I always do the 3 kisses when I meet girls in a social environment, and shake hands with guys.

I sometimes do the 3 kisses and/or hug close male friends and family members.

In business I shake hands with both genders, unless we know each other quite well and are on friendy terms, I which case I do the 3 kisses with women only. When you "graduate" to kissing is a matter of feeling.

In the rest of Europe it varies between 1-4 kisses, with most latin countries doing 2-3 kisses (I only know of 4 kisses in some parts of France and Italy). In Russia and Northern countries kissing is relatively new and they usually limit to 1 kiss. 

When in doubt go for the kiss and nobody will suspect you're not European ;)

catalin, Jan 29, 2015 @ 15:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hahah Nathan,

Jan 29, 15 13:42

I agree with TreeOfLife, just take it easy until you are a little more familiar with what your friends and colleagues do and gradually you will get the feel of it.  Practising with friends and acquaitances won’t help you when greeting complete strangers, especially if you don’t know their background and nationality.  The know-how comes gradually, so be patient.

My suggestion is to be ready to extend your hand – although even when and how needs care! – and, above all, smile as if you’re really pleased to meet the person.

Meantime, perhaps you’ll let us know when you’ve exchanged your first air-kisses ?

Best, R. 

I agree with TreeOfLife, just take it easy until you are a little more familiar with what your friends and colleagues do and gradually you will get the feel of it.  Practising with friends and acquaitances won’t help you when greeting complete strangers, especially if you don’t know their background and nationality.  The know-how comes gradually, so be patient.

My suggestion is to be ready to extend your hand – although even when and how needs care! – and, above all, smile as if you’re really pleased to meet the person.

Meantime, perhaps you’ll let us know when you’ve exchanged your first air-kisses ?

Best, R. 

Ritchie, Jan 29, 2015 @ 15:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Jan 29, 15 10:04

I've only ever met Andy once in person - not sure we'll meet again! Laughing

Rich, Jan 29, 2015 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Re Andy's post.  Vulgarity is not a substitute for wit.

Mariette L, Jan 29, 2015 @ 20:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Jan 29, 15 20:20

Quite my dear! But at least he's original. 

Anyway, you have to admit - it was f--king funny! Laughing

Quite my dear! But at least he's original. 

Anyway, you have to admit - it was f--king funny! Laughing

Rich, Jan 29, 2015 @ 20:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Jan 29, 15 17:23

Once embraced, twice shy?

Once embraced, twice shy?

Ritchie, Jan 29, 2015 @ 21:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Jan 29, 15 17:23

Come on Rich - I know you enjoy a bit of cupping.

Andy C, Jan 29, 2015 @ 23:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Jan 29, 15 23:04

Yeah, but you could've warmed your hands first!

Yeah, but you could've warmed your hands first!

Rich, Jan 29, 2015 @ 23:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

She did the "cupping thing" once, then I said "you have to drink the beer from it, and leave the pong ball in". ...  and that's when the fight started.    Tongue Out

She did the "cupping thing" once, then I said "you have to drink the beer from it, and leave the pong ball in". ...  and that's when the fight started.    Tongue Out

J K, Feb 3, 2015 @ 14:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Well in the USA, men is always hand shake.

With women if you dont know them, its still a hand shake unless family, regardless of how cloee,  to be safe just a light hug.

Again, strangely depends on how modest and conservative the family is.

But i think being overly friendly is better, so just give a big hug to all americans when your introduced to family members. others just a hand shake.

Well in the USA, men is always hand shake.

With women if you dont know them, its still a hand shake unless family, regardless of how cloee,  to be safe just a light hug.

Again, strangely depends on how modest and conservative the family is.

But i think being overly friendly is better, so just give a big hug to all americans when your introduced to family members. others just a hand shake.

Dave G, Feb 3, 2015 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
20 Replies | 4687 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form