Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Would you rent a room in Saint Julien for 300 euro less than in geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Would you rent a room in Saint Julien for 300 euro less than in geneva?

Hi there, I was wondering...

If you are someone coming for short time period to geneva (6 to 12 monthes) wourld you rent a room in neighboring france? (Saint julien or ferney) or live in geneva for 300 euro more than in france?

The text you are quoting:

Hi there, I was wondering...

If you are someone coming for short time period to geneva (6 to 12 monthes) wourld you rent a room in neighboring france? (Saint julien or ferney) or live in geneva for 300 euro more than in france?

salem2rafSep 23, 2017 @ 01:03
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

17 Replies | 1306 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Would you rent a room in Saint Julien for 300 euro less than in geneva?
Post 1

Depends or not whether you are a millionaire

Depends or not whether you are a millionaire

sheila c, Sep 23, 2017 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Saint julien is not that far from Geneva ,and food in general is much  cheaper in France than in geneva ,so if I was in your place I would prefer ed the cheaper of course 

Saint julien is not that far from Geneva ,and food in general is much  cheaper in France than in geneva ,so if I was in your place I would prefer ed the cheaper of course 

hesham shafei, Sep 23, 2017 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Sep 23, 17 14:50

But Hesham, is the distance, or the 30 more minutes every morning to go to geneve and 30 minutes to come back worth 300?

But Hesham, is the distance, or the 30 more minutes every morning to go to geneve and 30 minutes to come back worth 300?

salem2raf, Sep 23, 2017 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Sep 23, 17 16:57

It’s not just the daily commute that counts, it’s also the frequency of public transport in the evenings and at weekends and also the accessibility of what you like to do in your leisure time.

If you’re not sure, go for a short-term commitment and see how it works out.

Best, R.

It’s not just the daily commute that counts, it’s also the frequency of public transport in the evenings and at weekends and also the accessibility of what you like to do in your leisure time.

If you’re not sure, go for a short-term commitment and see how it works out.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Sep 23, 2017 @ 18:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Me I would have done so and lived in Saint julien en genevois  as for me 300chf is a big sum of money :))

Me I would have done so and lived in Saint julien en genevois  as for me 300chf is a big sum of money :))

hesham shafei, Sep 23, 2017 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks for sharing Heshan. For me 300 euro is a big amount tooMoney Mouth

Thanks for sharing Heshan. For me 300 euro is a big amount tooMoney Mouth

salem2raf, Sep 23, 2017 @ 21:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Reka Y, Sep 24, 2017 @ 17:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Reka,

Did you wanna say somthing?Smile

Hi Reka,

salem2raf, Sep 27, 2017 @ 00:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I would say it depends where you need to go daily in Geneva.

I am living in St Julien and I am very happy about it. As I work in Plan-les-Ouates it is only 4 km from my place, there is a direct bus. However I am driving and it takes me 10 min and it allow me to go home at lunch most of the time.

I would say it depends where you need to go daily in Geneva.

I am living in St Julien and I am very happy about it. As I work in Plan-les-Ouates it is only 4 km from my place, there is a direct bus. However I am driving and it takes me 10 min and it allow me to go home at lunch most of the time.

Arnaud S, Sep 27, 2017 @ 17:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Depends on the commute. If not too long, then nearby France is relly worth the effort on so many levels.

Depends on the commute. If not too long, then nearby France is relly worth the effort on so many levels.

hay_, Sep 27, 2017 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

You are absolutly right!

The place in geneva that one needs to be determins whether living in neighboring France is better (and cheaper)...Money Mouth

You are absolutly right!

The place in geneva that one needs to be determins whether living in neighboring France is better (and cheaper)...Money Mouth

salem2raf, Sep 27, 2017 @ 21:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi Reka,

Sep 27, 17 00:19

Nope. Just not mastering reading a thread on the phone. But if you are really interested in my opinion then here you go.

Money is not everything and if you are here without friends and family, you may not want to spend your time commuting but spend it on making new friends. 

Besides what will you do if you are sick or missed the last connection?

yeap, pay the differnce for Uber or a cab etc.

if course you may have a car or a moto to address this question but then again you are spending money on commuting.

My previous office was in Eysins, off skirt of Nyon..was pretty demanding - spent like 50 minutes coming and going. I could have spent that time better than on a tram, train, bus combo. And the frequent issues during winter...

I am happy with being able to walk now to the office and back if I want and getting home or to the airport in 15 mins but I do fly almost every week somewhere.

So I guess the question is how you want to spend your time.

Nope. Just not mastering reading a thread on the phone. But if you are really interested in my opinion then here you go.

Money is not everything and if you are here without friends and family, you may not want to spend your time commuting but spend it on making new friends. 

Besides what will you do if you are sick or missed the last connection?

yeap, pay the differnce for Uber or a cab etc.

if course you may have a car or a moto to address this question but then again you are spending money on commuting.

My previous office was in Eysins, off skirt of Nyon..was pretty demanding - spent like 50 minutes coming and going. I could have spent that time better than on a tram, train, bus combo. And the frequent issues during winter...

I am happy with being able to walk now to the office and back if I want and getting home or to the airport in 15 mins but I do fly almost every week somewhere.

So I guess the question is how you want to spend your time.

Reka Y, Sep 30, 2017 @ 20:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

As is so often the case, it’s personal circumstances that determine a choice.  If your income’s rock-bottom, you opt for cheaper rent and food in France and longer commutes – you don’t have the cash or the need to party in Geneva anyway.

But if you earn somewhat more and have professional travel/social commitments then living in CH can make life smoother.

As the old adages might say:  time costs money and you pays it and you takes your choice.

As is so often the case, it’s personal circumstances that determine a choice.  If your income’s rock-bottom, you opt for cheaper rent and food in France and longer commutes – you don’t have the cash or the need to party in Geneva anyway.

But if you earn somewhat more and have professional travel/social commitments then living in CH can make life smoother.

As the old adages might say:  time costs money and you pays it and you takes your choice.

Ritchie, Oct 1, 2017 @ 08:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I am thinking... 300 less per month make at the end of the year 3600!!!

That’s more than enough for a super voyage every year!!! Whoao…

Don't you agree?

Don't you agree?

salem2raf, Oct 4, 2017 @ 13:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Don't you agree?

Oct 4, 17 13:05

No.

First you have to save it all and not have any unexpected expenses like dental treatment or what have you.

Secondly, it’s hardly enough for a super voyage.

No.

First you have to save it all and not have any unexpected expenses like dental treatment or what have you.

Secondly, it’s hardly enough for a super voyage.

Ritchie, Oct 4, 2017 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Don't you agree?

Oct 4, 17 13:05

No, and quite frankly, I actually find your reasoning pretty dumb, even if you are entitled to it.

With your comment that "300 a month" would be better used for a super voyage you completely trivialized your question.

Where would you go to for that "super voyage"? How about.... Geneva, Switzerland?

By your reasoning, though, if 300 is for you "a big amount", why waste 3,600 in a "super voyage"? Isn't it because some things are worth the expense?

If most people had a chance to spend 6 months to 12 months in a place like Geneva or its surroundings, they would make the most of it. If I had to spend more money to make the most of it, meaning have more time to enjoy as many activities as I could and have an improved quality of life, I would. That is what most of us earn or save money for.

I actually like living in France. Although it is true that I can buy myself a better quality of life here, I would gladly pay 300 extra to live in my specific French village rather than living in Geneva if it was necessary. Where I live in France, I am closer to my work in Geneva by car or public transport than if I lived anywhere in Geneva. It is no surprise that a significant fraction of UN and UN agencies staff or those who work in Blandonnet, live in Ferney, Prevessin, Ornex or Versonnex. It is not to save 300 euros, as they have very good salaries, usually over 10,000 francs per month. It is the quality of life and not wanting to deal with heavy Geneva traffic going in and out of work.

You can not make generalizations. Saint Julien is not the same as Ferney or Anemasse, for that matter, and where your friend will be going to every day for work will make a difference, as will whether he/she will use a car or public transport. It also matters if you prefer peace and country living or city life, although I can enjoy my view of the fields where I go for a walk every day, and yet be in the center of Geneva in minutes, faster than if I lived in an outlying Geneva suburb.

But it is clear what is the answer you are fishing for. If it was an honest question, you would identify where in Geneva your friend is going to work or spend time and what means of transportation he or she will use.

And then, it is not the same to ask, would you be willing to pay 3,300 a month rather than 3,000 than asking would you be willing to pay 600 a month than 300. Both are 300 euros more. In the end, the question is, what can your friend afford, and what does he or she value?

No, and quite frankly, I actually find your reasoning pretty dumb, even if you are entitled to it.

With your comment that "300 a month" would be better used for a super voyage you completely trivialized your question.

Where would you go to for that "super voyage"? How about.... Geneva, Switzerland?

By your reasoning, though, if 300 is for you "a big amount", why waste 3,600 in a "super voyage"? Isn't it because some things are worth the expense?

If most people had a chance to spend 6 months to 12 months in a place like Geneva or its surroundings, they would make the most of it. If I had to spend more money to make the most of it, meaning have more time to enjoy as many activities as I could and have an improved quality of life, I would. That is what most of us earn or save money for.

I actually like living in France. Although it is true that I can buy myself a better quality of life here, I would gladly pay 300 extra to live in my specific French village rather than living in Geneva if it was necessary. Where I live in France, I am closer to my work in Geneva by car or public transport than if I lived anywhere in Geneva. It is no surprise that a significant fraction of UN and UN agencies staff or those who work in Blandonnet, live in Ferney, Prevessin, Ornex or Versonnex. It is not to save 300 euros, as they have very good salaries, usually over 10,000 francs per month. It is the quality of life and not wanting to deal with heavy Geneva traffic going in and out of work.

You can not make generalizations. Saint Julien is not the same as Ferney or Anemasse, for that matter, and where your friend will be going to every day for work will make a difference, as will whether he/she will use a car or public transport. It also matters if you prefer peace and country living or city life, although I can enjoy my view of the fields where I go for a walk every day, and yet be in the center of Geneva in minutes, faster than if I lived in an outlying Geneva suburb.

But it is clear what is the answer you are fishing for. If it was an honest question, you would identify where in Geneva your friend is going to work or spend time and what means of transportation he or she will use.

And then, it is not the same to ask, would you be willing to pay 3,300 a month rather than 3,000 than asking would you be willing to pay 600 a month than 300. Both are 300 euros more. In the end, the question is, what can your friend afford, and what does he or she value?

JR M, Oct 4, 2017 @ 19:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Dear Ritchie and JR M, 

What I was trying to say is that one don't need to put money aside for a "super voyage" if he/she pays 300 less every month for accomodation (room rent) in France. I have looked up at the classifieds section under the housing, roomates and the room price is 1000-1200 compairing to 690-790 in the french side (so the saving is at least 210).

As a single young peson coming for 6 to 12 monthes to study or do an intership in Geneva, a room for rent can be acceptable as accomotation.

When I say "super voyage" I meen that for a single person going to Asia for three weeks, 3600 euros is more than enoght.

Hope this time my reasoning is less dumb JR M. (you can still not agree with me)

Dear Ritchie and JR M, 

What I was trying to say is that one don't need to put money aside for a "super voyage" if he/she pays 300 less every month for accomodation (room rent) in France. I have looked up at the classifieds section under the housing, roomates and the room price is 1000-1200 compairing to 690-790 in the french side (so the saving is at least 210).

As a single young peson coming for 6 to 12 monthes to study or do an intership in Geneva, a room for rent can be acceptable as accomotation.

When I say "super voyage" I meen that for a single person going to Asia for three weeks, 3600 euros is more than enoght.

Hope this time my reasoning is less dumb JR M. (you can still not agree with me)

salem2raf, Oct 4, 2017 @ 21:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
17 Replies | 1306 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form