Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > bike lock twisted

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
bike lock twisted

I locked my bike to a railing with a U-lock. But I think someone tried to pry the lock apart, and the lock is twisted. They were not successful in taking the bike, but now the key won't go into the lock all the way, and I can't open the lock. I really want to get my bike though. What should I do? I included a pic.

The text you are quoting:

I locked my bike to a railing with a U-lock. But I think someone tried to pry the lock apart, and the lock is twisted. They were not successful in taking the bike, but now the key won't go into the lock all the way, and I can't open the lock. I really want to get my bike though. What should I do? I included a pic.

Sylvia CApr 22, 2014 @ 12:16
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

25 Replies | 2147 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: bike lock twisted
Post 1

Report it to the police and ask them.

Otherwise, A hacksaw will eventually get through one of these locks. Or call a locksmith (expensive) make sure to have ID and if possible proof of bike ownership while trying to retrieve your bike.

Report it to the police and ask them.

Otherwise, A hacksaw will eventually get through one of these locks. Or call a locksmith (expensive) make sure to have ID and if possible proof of bike ownership while trying to retrieve your bike.

Richard H, Apr 22, 2014 @ 12:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I had a similar problem last year, my lock no longer worked and I had no tools since I had just moved here.

I went to my local bike store and asked if they had any ideas/experience with this.

In the end, they offered to accompany me to my bike and cut the lock off for me, no charge (tipped the guy). My lock was a combination cable lock though, not a u lock.

Even if they can't do it themselves, they might know someone who can help.

I had a similar problem last year, my lock no longer worked and I had no tools since I had just moved here.

I went to my local bike store and asked if they had any ideas/experience with this.

In the end, they offered to accompany me to my bike and cut the lock off for me, no charge (tipped the guy). My lock was a combination cable lock though, not a u lock.

Even if they can't do it themselves, they might know someone who can help.

V DeP, Apr 22, 2014 @ 19:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

What store did you go to? I asked one store, and they said they'd charge 100fr to cut it off. Alternatively, anyone have a hacksaw I can borrow? Or some WD-40, maybe I should try that first? Also, who sells these u-locks? I'd better get a new one before destroying this one.

What store did you go to? I asked one store, and they said they'd charge 100fr to cut it off. Alternatively, anyone have a hacksaw I can borrow? Or some WD-40, maybe I should try that first? Also, who sells these u-locks? I'd better get a new one before destroying this one.

Sylvia C, Apr 22, 2014 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

According to a study in "Que Choisir" (http://www.apicy.fr/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/test-antivols-que-choisir1.pdf ) most locks, even a U, can be cut quite easily with a hacksaw. So you can just go and cut it.

Otherwise, according to the same test, most locks will not survive a few good hits with a hammer.

According to a study in "Que Choisir" (http://www.apicy.fr/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/test-antivols-que-choisir1.pdf ) most locks, even a U, can be cut quite easily with a hacksaw. So you can just go and cut it.

Otherwise, according to the same test, most locks will not survive a few good hits with a hammer.

tawb, Apr 22, 2014 @ 20:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I went to Sold Sports on the rue du grand-pré.

I went to Sold Sports on the rue du grand-pré.

V DeP, Apr 23, 2014 @ 09:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

They also sell locks.

They also sell locks.

V DeP, Apr 23, 2014 @ 09:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Maybe try :

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-08/gray-matter-how-science-helps-bike-thieves

Looks like the bike frame is broken too no?

Maybe try :

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-08/gray-matter-how-science-helps-bike-thieves

Looks like the bike frame is broken too no?

John H, Apr 23, 2014 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Clearly, liquid nitrogen was used to break that lock in the article. I thought the frame was just dented. I guess I'll find out when I try riding the bike, that is, if I manage to get it removed. Thanks everyone.

Clearly, liquid nitrogen was used to break that lock in the article. I thought the frame was just dented. I guess I'll find out when I try riding the bike, that is, if I manage to get it removed. Thanks everyone.

Sylvia C, Apr 23, 2014 @ 11:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hey sorry to hear about your bike, I have had so many bikes stolen in my lifetime it makes me rather mad. 

I have a few tools with tme. If you still need assitance I can try. 

Good luck!

Hey sorry to hear about your bike, I have had so many bikes stolen in my lifetime it makes me rather mad. 

I have a few tools with tme. If you still need assitance I can try. 

Good luck!

Ajay Singh, Apr 23, 2014 @ 12:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Also, how long does it take to cut the lock with a hack saw? Anyone know? 

Also, how long does it take to cut the lock with a hack saw? Anyone know? 

Sylvia C, Apr 23, 2014 @ 11:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Thanks for the sympathy, the bike is still there though, I just need to move it. When are you available? I would definitely compensate you. Do you have any lubricant like WD-40? Maybe that would help the key. I'd try that first, before cutting the lock. 

Thanks for the sympathy, the bike is still there though, I just need to move it. When are you available? I would definitely compensate you. Do you have any lubricant like WD-40? Maybe that would help the key. I'd try that first, before cutting the lock. 

Sylvia C, Apr 23, 2014 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I do have WD40. Its my day off today so just at home chillen. I live in Servette. Where is the bike?

I do have WD40. Its my day off today so just at home chillen. I live in Servette. Where is the bike?

Ajay Singh, Apr 23, 2014 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I'd want to buy a new lock first though, before destroying this one. Does anyone sell Kryptonite locks in Geneva? Also, any idea how long it would take to saw off the U-lock? 

I'd want to buy a new lock first though, before destroying this one. Does anyone sell Kryptonite locks in Geneva? Also, any idea how long it would take to saw off the U-lock? 

Sylvia C, Apr 23, 2014 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

http://www.athleticum.ch/fr/storefinder/index/details/id/5

http://www.soldsports.com

Couple of bike shops I use in Geneva. ABUS locks are also good, German made. 

To saw off your old lock! I have no idea, it depends on how good the saw is and how thick the lock is. Need to be careful though, you don't want to look like a bike thief!!  

http://www.athleticum.ch/fr/storefinder/index/details/id/5

http://www.soldsports.com

Couple of bike shops I use in Geneva. ABUS locks are also good, German made. 

To saw off your old lock! I have no idea, it depends on how good the saw is and how thick the lock is. Need to be careful though, you don't want to look like a bike thief!!  

Ajay Singh, Apr 23, 2014 @ 13:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

I have the key to the lock, it just doesn't go in all the way because the lock is twisted. I should still have my receipt from buying the bike, I just need to find it. I should have worded the question differently, what I meant was how long did it take other people to saw off their locks? 

I have the key to the lock, it just doesn't go in all the way because the lock is twisted. I should still have my receipt from buying the bike, I just need to find it. I should have worded the question differently, what I meant was how long did it take other people to saw off their locks? 

Sylvia C, Apr 23, 2014 @ 13:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Best is to buy a good hacksaw but asap otherwise the bike might get stolen.  Once you have done this and happen to fall on hard times (not wishing this on you) you have an immediate new career as a bike thief.  Carrying identity is a good idea and do it openly ie try not to look furtive

Best is to buy a good hacksaw but asap otherwise the bike might get stolen.  Once you have done this and happen to fall on hard times (not wishing this on you) you have an immediate new career as a bike thief.  Carrying identity is a good idea and do it openly ie try not to look furtive

Paul E, Apr 23, 2014 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Or you can be even more open about it: Bring an angle grinder and an extension cable. Go to the nearest shop, explain your situation, smile, and ask to plug in the extension cord.

(However, only use an angle grinder if you're used to it. It's an exceedingly dangerous piece of equipment.)

PS. Paul: Looks like you may have to repeat the granny-walk for me, in a few months time.

Or you can be even more open about it: Bring an angle grinder and an extension cable. Go to the nearest shop, explain your situation, smile, and ask to plug in the extension cord.

(However, only use an angle grinder if you're used to it. It's an exceedingly dangerous piece of equipment.)

PS. Paul: Looks like you may have to repeat the granny-walk for me, in a few months time.

tawb, Apr 23, 2014 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

MY guess would be that the the lock is under some tension due to the forceful bending.  A couple of good hits with a hammer might free it up enough to be able to use the key.

Hacksawing it off manually will take a while (15 to 30 minutes) and will ruin at least one blade, based on my experience, so you're netter off exhausting all of the key-based options first.

Good luck!

MY guess would be that the the lock is under some tension due to the forceful bending.  A couple of good hits with a hammer might free it up enough to be able to use the key.

Hacksawing it off manually will take a while (15 to 30 minutes) and will ruin at least one blade, based on my experience, so you're netter off exhausting all of the key-based options first.

Good luck!

Andy C, Apr 24, 2014 @ 08:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Try these guys, they might help you.

https://www.facebook.com/larustine.ch

Try these guys, they might help you.

https://www.facebook.com/larustine.ch

Richard H, Apr 24, 2014 @ 09:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Thanks for the link. 

Thanks for the link. 

Sylvia C, Apr 25, 2014 @ 09:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Anyone have WD-40, a hammer, and a hacksaw I can use? I can meet during the lunch hour, after 17h, or over the weekend.

Anyone have WD-40, a hammer, and a hacksaw I can use? I can meet during the lunch hour, after 17h, or over the weekend.

Sylvia C, Apr 25, 2014 @ 09:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Sylvia - why don't you go to the (Migros) bricolage and buy a hacksaw.. they are not expensive.. a decent one no more than 15chf, and wd 40 no more than 5-6chf.. you will likely blunt the hacksaw blade, so as someone else said, worth picking up an extra blade. 

Sylvia - why don't you go to the (Migros) bricolage and buy a hacksaw.. they are not expensive.. a decent one no more than 15chf, and wd 40 no more than 5-6chf.. you will likely blunt the hacksaw blade, so as someone else said, worth picking up an extra blade. 

Chris T, Apr 27, 2014 @ 13:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

just a bit of information. have you not seen the "Kryptonite" lock? no migros hack saw will even dent that carbon hardened steel. there is a reason they named it "kryptonite !

probably you would need a diamond blade to cut through that steel. 

however, as i suggested to sylvia, it might be easier to cut through the iron fence the lock has been attached to and bend the iron a bit, take the lock out, and bend it back. no one would even notice. just thinking outside the box Cool

just a bit of information. have you not seen the "Kryptonite" lock? no migros hack saw will even dent that carbon hardened steel. there is a reason they named it "kryptonite !

probably you would need a diamond blade to cut through that steel. 

however, as i suggested to sylvia, it might be easier to cut through the iron fence the lock has been attached to and bend the iron a bit, take the lock out, and bend it back. no one would even notice. just thinking outside the box Cool

epicure, Apr 27, 2014 @ 14:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

A guy from La Rustine helped me out, we used his tools. But the bike was completely mangled. He said that the person wasn't trying to steal the bike, they were just trying to destroy it. By the way, where's the Migros bricolage? I tried looking on their website but they didn't give any address. Is there one at every location? 

A guy from La Rustine helped me out, we used his tools. But the bike was completely mangled. He said that the person wasn't trying to steal the bike, they were just trying to destroy it. By the way, where's the Migros bricolage? I tried looking on their website but they didn't give any address. Is there one at every location? 

Sylvia C, Apr 27, 2014 @ 15:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

It is called Migros Do-it.

Here is the link. There are 2 stoes in GVA.

http://www.doitgarden.ch/g3.cms/s_page/257230/s_level/40000

It is called Migros Do-it.

Here is the link. There are 2 stoes in GVA.

http://www.doitgarden.ch/g3.cms/s_page/257230/s_level/40000

Verbier, Apr 27, 2014 @ 20:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
25 Replies | 2147 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form